Which Big East Program is most negatively affected by the Pitino hire? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Which Big East Program is most negatively affected by the Pitino hire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Don't disagree that Pitino is a grand slam hire, but him taking Iona to the tournament isn't the accomplishment it's being made out to be. Iona made the tournament in 4 out of the previous 5 seasons before Pitino took over.
I see your point.
But, alternatively, they were 14-17 the year before he got there, and the year before that had a losing record before miraculously winning the conference tournament. He made them a significantly better team.

Regardless, the point is that he can still coach at an extremely high level. It’s not like he’s Boeheim who reached his 70s and lost touch with the modern game.

Reaction Score
Anyone who thinks Pitino will be a failure at St. John's is beyond delusional. The scandal at L'ville/snake oil salesman façade has clouded any objectivity you have about the guy as a basketball coach.
The dude hasn't had a losing season since 1981.

Barring sudden dementia, he's a grand slam hire for St. John's and the Big East. He immediately took Iona to an NCAA tournament the minute he took over a few seasons ago.

St. John's will be relevant again starting yesterday, especially in the portal era. And it's not like they are starting from a dark place. They have talent, and they had a winning record and nearly knocked off Marquette in the BET.
Truer words have never been spoken. We all know about his foibles such as the blow job with the mistress under the restaurant table and then getting extorted which involved the FBI, the hookers used to entice recruits, the whole 9 yards.

But man, this guy can coach. In the 2021 NCAAT, #15 seed Iona gave #2 Alabama fits and was leading in the 2nd half. Iona's guards are P6 level quality players and I think he will bring them to St. John's.

Reaction Score
Posh will not be back FYI. Pitino has no tolerance for his weed addiction, and broken jumper. Pretty much the entire team will be gone besides Soriano, Drissa, and Kolby King from what I've heard. And that's Rick's choice not theirs.

I expect to be big players with Boogie Fland, and probably will take Clayton from Iona as well.

Reaction Score
St. John’s is a glorified community college, it’s not for everyone. Can he get them back into the top 25? Maybe, but I don’t expect them to be world beaters either. St. John’s is still limited by them being St. John’s, it’s not 1985 anymore.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
St. John’s is a glorified community college, it’s not for everyone. Can he get them back into the top 25? Maybe, but I don’t expect them to be world beaters either. St. John’s is still limited by them being St. John’s, it’s not 1985 anymore.
It’s all about NIL now. And they are going to have more than plenty of it if Mike Repole holds his word.

Oh yeah, and they’re in NYC and coached by a Hall of Famer. They’re going to be a force to be reckoned with.

I’m sure Pitino has facility-related requests built into his contract, too.

Reaction Score
They’re about to jump everyone.
That's a little strong. They will be at the top with us and a few others most years. To say they are the top of the heap before it even begins is a bit much.

Reaction Score
It’s all about NIL now. And they are going to have more than plenty of it if Mike Repole holds his word.

Oh yeah, and they’re in NYC and coached by a Hall of Famer. They’re going to be a force to be reckoned with.

I'm thinking that they will renovate Taffner Field House or build a new facility.

Reaction Score

And that's the big thing. St. John's has high school like facilities. They improve that, yes they will take off. People shouldn't get fooled by their #8 finish in the Big East. They were competitive for the most part against almost all the other teams in the BE. The only exceptions I would say are Xavier and Creighton. Creighton has really had their number the last few seasons.

Reaction Score
Posh will not be back FYI. Pitino has no tolerance for his weed addiction, and broken jumper. Pretty much the entire team will be gone besides Soriano, Drissa, and Kolby King from what I've heard. And that's Rick's choice not theirs.

I expect to be big players with Boogie Fland, and probably will take Clayton from Iona as well.
hmm... so that means AJ Storr won't be back according to what you heard. I think AJ Storr would look great in a UConn Huskies uniform. What do you all think?

Reaction Score
Truer words have never been spoken. We all know about his foibles such as the blow job with the mistress under the restaurant table and then getting extorted which involved the FBI, the hookers used to entice recruits, the whole 9 yards.

But man, this guy can coach. In the 2021 NCAAT, #15 seed Iona gave #2 Alabama fits and was leading in the 2nd half. Iona's guards are P6 level quality players and I think he will bring them to St. John's.
If the Vincentian Fathers of St Johns are willing to open their arms to Rick as their new coach and forgive him/overlook his past transgressions.. Surely the Boneyard can as well.

This guy can coach.

Reaction Score
Rick Pitino will take away recruits from EVERY Big East Team. Any NYC kid -especially the guards - who wants to stay home & play in MSG - will give Rick Pitino the first look. He will definitely take recruits away from Danny Hurley, who btw has almost zero post-season success at any level, despite his father's excellence.

Pitino is actually more personable than Danny Hurley too & can charm anyone. He builds the confidence of every one of his players. There would be no Hawk or AJAX head cases under his watch. Ha! And isn't he quick to react in-game?!?

Prediction: Rick Pitino will own the NIL.

RE: Pitino's past peccadilloes: He's 70 now. Has all the money, racehorses, properties & investments in the world. Could take any job. Has less testosterone now & hopefully will make wiser choices off court.

More importantly, he's about to patrol the sidelines of The Lou Carnesseca Court! That means something very special to all NY area players, hoops fans & coaches. Pitino's a certifiable Basketball Lifer. Still hungry AND SHARP at 70! How many of us can say that about our passions?

Ricky literally learned the game every summer of his youth at places like the LUHI camp out on Long Island in the 60's, where Looie was the main draw even before he succeeded Joe Lapchick at SJU in '65. Also featured at that camp? Young Army coach Bobby Knight (as violent & crazy as ever even as a young man teaching us D). John Kresse, assistant coach to Looie at SJU, who put C of Charleston on the map as its all-time winningest coach. Butch van breda Kolff who coached Bradley to a third place NCAA finish at Princeton & had the balls to bench Wilt in a game 7 coaching the Lakers, NYU's Lou Rossini, Frank Layden of Niagara & Utah Jazz fame (funniest guy in the world -also crazy) & most of the best HS & college assistants in the NYC area. Plus many great NBA & college players. Long Island's best players went there to check out the competition & learn the nuances. Ricky went there to brown-nosed all the coaches. What a charmah! What a shooter!

I can still remember the crazed Looie running on to the court during the afternoon games to give Little Ricky his boot in the ass to hustle more in the heat. NOTE: If you didn't get your Looie boot for the day, you felt unloved. HA!

So let's forget all that past heinous Ricky stuff & look at how good Rick Pitino is at quickly recruiting his guys at every stop, molding, motivating & creatively coaching them into big-time winners, & winning 25+ games per year on his way to the tournament every year. He's THAT GOOD. And HE'S MOTIVATED by one last hurrah! He's Home.

So watch out for Pitino BE teams.

Pitino is adding to the high quality of coaches enjoyed by the current BE. His return harkens back to the legendary BE coaches of the past. If he can get the Johnnies (& their fans) back into the Garden for most home games & tournaments, then it will be very interesting when the UConn Huskies & our fans come to town. Huh?

Pitino WILL hurt the recruiting of every BE team. But his presence with elevate everything about our strong league - including even more national interest. I can see how Pitino's presence will elevate the game, the players, the playing, the TV contracts, the competition, & even programs like DePaul in the future. Right? But it might be too much to ask for an improvement in BE officiating at UConn games, huh? Ha!

So Pitino will also be GREAT for every BE team too.

Eh, let's kick some Huskies. We have a chance to win it all again!

Father Demo

Reaction Score
hmm... so that means AJ Storr won't be back according to what you heard. I think AJ Storr would look great in a UConn Huskies uniform. What do you all think?
Posh Alexander can't shoot the ball at all from the outside. Everyone of Pitino's guards can shoot the three (at the end of games), press all night, are tough minded & confident, and...never get tired! Ricky corners that market - & there are tons of them in NYC. A whole new roster around Soriano is what I've heard is happening.

Storrs could stick. But he's a streaky shooter. Good athlete at 6'6".

I would hope that incredible ball-handler/point guard Andre Curbelo could stick too, but he proved to be a poor shooter & finisher at the college level, despite his passing & vision. A Ricky Guy? Who knows?

Father Demo

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Pitino isn't messing around. Even going after committed recruits. Although it doesn't say he's specifically going after Jackson. Could be looking at someone else there.

Or he is wasting his time.

Reaction Score
It's NYC money, baby!

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Pitino isn't messing around. Even going after committed recruits. Although it doesn't say he's specifically going after Jackson. Could be looking at someone else there.

Already tweeting at J Cole — St John’s alum and obviously loves basketball. This man knows what he’s doing and has been champing at the bit for years (maybe in 15 second intervals)

caw

Reaction Score

Yeah, but BE teams have to carry some weight out of conference also. At least three BE teams were underseeded because of how teams played OOC. Not sure Marquette could have gone higher than a two, or I would say four teams. PC was pretty accurate also. UConn, X and Creighton all were lower than they should have been IMO if even just the other top teams carried their own weight OOC. Doesn't seem to matter now, but it's still annoying.

Cooley can't pull a PC OOC schedule and results again. Pitino I am less worried about.

This I love. I called for him to do this right away. With UNC floundering and a good option close to home, Jackson has to think about it with one of the best coaches still coaching D1.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Yeah, but BE teams have to carry some weight out of conference also. At least three BE teams were underseeded because of how teams played OOC. Not sure Marquette could have gone higher than a two, or I would say four teams. PC was pretty accurate also. UConn, X and Creighton all were lower than they should have been IMO if even just the other top teams carried their own weight OOC. Doesn't seem to matter now, but it's still annoying.

Cooley can't pull a PC OOC schedule and results again. Pitino I am less worried about.

This I love. I called for him to do this right away. With UNC floundering and a good option close to home, Jackson has to think about it with one of the best coaches still coaching D1.
Jackson also trains with Brickley who's tight with Pitino from playing at Louisville

Reactions: caw

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Pitino at SJU is like Mora at UConn. It's their last job, they can coach, they still have gas in the tank and they want eventually leave coaching on a high note. Like after rebuilding something. Pitino is already a formidable opponent. If he ends up with Boogie, the answer to the OP is UConn! Seton Hall was never getting a Boogie.

Reaction Score
If you look at the 247 top 100 players for 2023 from the Northeast, the Big East struck out. There are plenty of players available for Pitino to grab for St. John's without hurting any Big East team. Here is the 247 top 100 and where they are going:

2. NJ - Kentucky
3. PA - Kentucky
4. NJ - Kentucky
7. NJ - Duke
11. MD - Oregon
22. NJ - Kansas
27. MA- Duke
33. MD - UConn
35. NJ - Virginia
36. NJ - UNC
43. MD - Illinois
51. CT - Rutgers
59. NY - UCLA
61. ME - Tennessee
65. MD - College of Charleston
66. VT - FSU
75. MA - Marquette
80. NY - Memphis
90. MD - LSU
91. MA - Xavier
95. MD - Pitt
97. NY - Alabama
Any chance Pitino can flip any of these guys?

Reaction Score
Rick Pitino will take away recruits from EVERY Big East Team. Any NYC kid -especially the guards - who wants to stay home & play in MSG - will give Rick Pitino the first look. He will definitely take recruits away from Danny Hurley, who btw has almost zero post-season success at any level, despite his father's excellence.

I actually thought you'd dial this back after you spent all of last week telling anyone who'd listen that Pitino and mighty Iona were going to put UConn in a garbage can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom