Which Big East Program is most negatively affected by the Pitino hire? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Which Big East Program is most negatively affected by the Pitino hire?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's not like they are completely devoid of talent to begin with.

Admittedly I don't know the exact class of some players, but Soriano, Alexander, and Jones (bastard that threw the cheap shot elbow) are all pretty good. They beat or hung around with most of the BE. I can't imagine them not being a tournament team next year with Ricky.

Reaction Score
Well everyone on here was begging for AJ Storr 2 weeks ago…

Anyone who’s downplaying this is delusional. Yes it’s good for the league. But northeast recruiting has just gotten 5x more difficult.

They will be tournament bound in year one. A few of his guys from Iona are jumping ship to join Storr, Soriano (if Pitino can keep him), and Posh.
5X ?! Rick Pitino from the 80's is not walking thru that door, and when he does he's going to be old.

Plus how hard can it be to setup a madame in an off-campus house then invite her harem to entertain recruits at a party?

Reaction Score
Loaded. The new power 6 of the BE imo
(in no order)

UConn
St. John's
Georgetown
Creighton
Marquette
Xavier

Then everyone else
I know they were down this year but I’d add nova to that list - 7 team league w/ 4 teams that will struggle to break through. Think this means the Big East should consistently get 6 teams into the tournament now.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Definitely PC since they will no probably have the worst coach in the conference. Then Seton Hall.

I think this is a huge benefit for UConn. We need a good real rival thats regional and it's better than the midwestern schools. A top-25 St. John's would only help us even if they steal a few recruits here and there...rising tide raises all boats/competition breeds success etc.
Can’t wait for St John’s and Georgetown rivalries to be a thing again… bring some of that OBE energy back to the conference.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
5X ?! Rick Pitino from the 80's is not walking thru that door, and when he does he's going to be old.

Plus how hard can it be to setup a madame in an off-campus house then invite her harem to entertain recruits at a party?
He doesn’t have to recruit. He has to slide an envelope across a table with $750k in it.

Reaction Score
If you look at the 247 top 100 players for 2023 from the Northeast, the Big East struck out. There are plenty of players available for Pitino to grab for St. John's without hurting any Big East team. Here is the 247 top 100 and where they are going:

2. NJ - Kentucky
3. PA - Kentucky
4. NJ - Kentucky
7. NJ - Duke
11. MD - Oregon
22. NJ - Kansas
27. MA- Duke
33. MD - UConn
35. NJ - Virginia
36. NJ - UNC
43. MD - Illinois
51. CT - Rutgers
59. NY - UCLA
61. ME - Tennessee
65. MD - College of Charleston
66. VT - FSU
75. MA - Marquette
80. NY - Memphis
90. MD - LSU
91. MA - Xavier
95. MD - Pitt
97. NY - Alabama

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I just wonder if this hire means their UConn game will be back in MSG.

Reaction Score
It's not like they are completely devoid of talent to begin with.

Admittedly I don't know the exact class of some players, but Soriano, Alexander, and Jones (bastard that threw the cheap shot elbow) are all pretty good. They beat or hung around with most of the BE. I can't imagine them not being a tournament team next year with Ricky.
If Daniss Jenkins and Walter Clayton follow Pitino to St. john's it will be interesting to see what Posh Alexander decides. If Soriano decides not to go pro, whether that is the NBA or a high level European league, Slick Rick will have to work his magic to convince Soriano to stay at St. John's. Soriano is a very strong supporter of Mike Anderson and Mike Anderson is now suing St. John's.

Reaction Score
Just saw Pitino get interviewed by Sage Steele on ESPN after his introductory presser. Feel like I need to take a shower now. Sage asked about his "issues" and he said he always ran a clean program. Never broke a rule. It was all his assistants. He had zero knowledge and is 100% innocent of everything. Total across the board denial. I'm not really surprised as he has always been slimey but still eyeroll worthy to hear. As to the personal stuff, he just said he was thankful he has a forgiving family. What else could he really say about that.

Reaction Score
If Daniss Jenkins and Walter Clayton follow Pitino to St. john's it will be interesting to see what Posh Alexander decides. If Soriano decides not to go pro, whether that is the NBA or a high level European league, Slick Rick will have to work his magic to convince Soriano to stay at St. John's. Soriano is a very strong supporter of Mike Anderson and Mike Anderson is now suing St. John's.
I think I saw somewhere that Pitino has introduced Soriano as the new captain

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
If you look at the 247 top 100 players for 2023 from the Northeast, the Big East struck out. There are plenty of players available for Pitino to grab for St. John's without hurting any Big East team. Here is the 247 top 100 and where they are going:

2. NJ - Kentucky
3. PA - Kentucky
4. NJ - Kentucky
7. NJ - Duke
11. MD - Oregon
22. NJ - Kansas
27. MA- Duke
33. MD - UConn
35. NJ - Virginia
36. NJ - UNC
43. MD - Illinois
51. CT - Rutgers
59. NY - UCLA
61. ME - Tennessee
65. MD - College of Charleston
66. VT - FSU
75. MA - Marquette
80. NY - Memphis
90. MD - LSU
91. MA - Xavier
95. MD - Pitt
97. NY - Alabama
Who is #51 and why on Earth would he go to Rutgers over UCONN if UCONN had any interest?

Reaction Score
Seton Hall? Hurley really stole their thunder by plundering their recruiting grounds, which is partially responsible for Willard leaving.
I don't think this Pitino hire helps them either, with them being metro dependent. Conversely, UCONN is a national program and this Pitino move is a relative non-factor atm.
Pitino coaching St. “John’s”. Very prophetic. Lol

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Anyone who thinks Pitino will be a failure at St. John's is beyond delusional. The scandal at L'ville/snake oil salesman façade has clouded any objectivity you have about the guy as a basketball coach.
The dude hasn't had a losing season since 1981.

Barring sudden dementia, he's a grand slam hire for St. John's and the Big East. He immediately took Iona to an NCAA tournament the minute he took over a few seasons ago.

St. John's will be relevant again starting yesterday, especially in the portal era. And it's not like they are starting from a dark place. They have talent, and they had a winning record and nearly knocked off Marquette in the BET.

Reaction Score
In a way I am surprised that Pitino has not slipped in his own slime. But sometimes slime balls are either lucky or too good. Of course most often if someone is very good on their profession their slime status is overlooked.

Reaction Score
Who is #51 and why on Earth would he go to Rutgers over UCONN if UCONN had any interest?
Gavin Griffiths. From Simsbury but went to Kingswood-Oxford in West Hartford. Would have been a PERFECT piece off the bench for next years team. 6-7 shooter. Apparently his dad and Piekell had a relationship when his dad was at UConn with him. If I recall, Hurley went all out for him too. He's an absolute traitor to me -- CT kids should know better if UConn offers them.

Reaction Score
So tell me. Who is going to recruit for Pitino or will they just be throwing $ around. Remember Ray’s story about when he and Doron visited Kentucky and Pitino couldn’t pay attention to them. And that was 30 years ago when he had energy

Reaction Score
Anyone who thinks Pitino will be a failure at St. John's is beyond delusional. The scandal at L'ville/snake oil salesman façade has clouded any objectivity you have about the guy as a basketball coach.
The dude hasn't had a losing season since 1981.

Barring sudden dementia, he's a grand slam hire for St. John's and the Big East. He immediately took Iona to an NCAA tournament the minute he took over a few seasons ago.

St. John's will be relevant again starting yesterday, especially in the portal era. And it's not like they are starting from a dark place. They have talent, and they had a winning record and nearly knocked off Marquette in the BET.
Don't disagree that Pitino is a grand slam hire, but him taking Iona to the tournament isn't the accomplishment it's being made out to be. Iona made the tournament in 4 out of the previous 5 seasons before Pitino took over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom