Which basketball program do you hate the most? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Which basketball program do you hate the most?

Which basketball program do you hate the most?

• Duke

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • Tennessee

Votes: 91 50.6%
  • Notre Dame

Votes: 41 22.8%
  • Baylor

Votes: 15 8.3%
  • South Carolina

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • Maryland

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Other

Votes: 23 12.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I voted for Baylor (I hope ETT doesn't see that), mainly because I really dislike Kim Mulkey. I've disliked her ever since I first saw her play in person in 1981. (I have a long memory)

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Duke is vaguely annoying but their trials and tribulations are entertaining.

They've become so irrelevant on the women's side there's no point in wasting any energy hating them anymore. I long for the days when Geno indicated just as many of their graduates were waiting tables. They were fun to hate back then.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
One seriously offensive image. Another person in whose failures I reveled.

Hating Laettner became the new national pastime in the 1990's. I truly believe he is the Antichrist.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Nah. I don't want for any harm, physical or mental, to come to any team. No real hate. Perhaps an amplified rivalry reaction sometimes. There is one program (I won't name) that every time they lose, I yell a particularly offensive oath at the TV. Blank you, blank blank.

Ashamed to admit it though. Well, almost ashamed. I mean, it IS blank blank.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
Nah. I don't want for any harm, physical or mental, to come to any team. No real hate. Perhaps an amplified rivalry reaction sometimes. There is one program (I won't name) that every time they lose, I yell a particularly offensive oath at the TV. Blank you, blank blank.

Ashamed to admit it though. Well, almost ashamed. I mean, it IS blank blank.

Let's see, it's a school with a two word name. There are only two on the list, unless it's in the "other" category. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess it's Notre Lame. You don't have to confirm or deny. They're my No. 1 team to hate in the entire universe.

I have the exact same reaction at the end of games my favorite teams to hate lose. There are several of them. I consider it a totally theraputic release of hostile aggression. Otherwise I might do something wrong, like kicking my cat.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The folks at ESPN made a movie about this guy and the "lack of affection" for him:

ap_march_madness_best_moments_basketball_54636649.jpg
One of my favorite college players of all time.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
See - this is why women's sports and WCBB and the WNBA in particular struggle so much - we are all such wishy-washy fans, no deep emotional commitments!

Ask a Boston fan to express their feelings about the Yankees and 'hatred' would be the gentlest expression they might use. A Rangers fan about the Fliers, and any fan of another team about the Pistons of Lambeer vintage, SF about LA, you name it. People get in bar brawls as a gentle expression of their love for their own team and repudiation for any other fan's team. But in women's sports we have to be so circumspect. We mildly disapprove of the golden domers inability to maintain their footing, or tut tut about TN, or express our feelings about Kim as an unhappiness with her wardrobe choices or sideline demeanor.

We need to grow a pair! Be obnoxious, Revel in the hatred of our rivals and return it 10 fold. Stomp on the pretenders and wannabes. Gnash our teeth when we lose and swear blood feuds on those who dare to challenge us! If not for ourselves, for the health of our sport!

To the ramparts!
:eek::rolleyes::cool::):p:D
1000 likes if possible. And even more.

I hate more teams in sports than I like. It makes being a fan so much more enjoyable. So even if your team is not winning, at least you can relish in teams you hate, dismal efforts. And not just teams, but individual players also. I'm not sure how one can be counted as much of a sports fan without some hatred.

Reaction Score
I get it. Some of can be a little rabid, smug and over expectant. Although you stand aside from most LadyVol fans who hate The UConn because of Geno who they see as arrogant, dismissive, and now because of Parker, dishonorable.
They hate Geno because he crashed and then threw them out of their own party.

Reaction Score
I voted for Tenn... But I dislike ND equally. :mad:

One thing is for sure... I love to root for their opponents. Unless they play each other... Then I get confused.... Because someone has to win..... But I'd rather have both lose :confused:

Reaction Score
I think the word "hate" taken out of its sports context has different meanings for different people. To some, it means something close to wishing physical harm or wishing they never existed; to others, it means loathe ("I hate spinach"). I doubt that anyone applies the first meaning to sports. The second meaning when applied to sports means something like wanting the other team to lose so badly they are humiliated forever and acknowledge our eternal superiority. (That's how we New Englanders feel about all New York teams, for example.)

So "which program do you hate the most" is just a reflection of how intensely you not only want your guys to win, but the other guys to lose. Part of the game for some of us all of the time, and for some of us at least some of the time.

I didn't vote, because I don't even dislike any team that much. I have pretty strong feelings against UTenn and Baylor and would love to see Notre Dame crushed (mostly because I do deeply respect them), but I also think that these teams help to define UConn; where would UConn be without that competition?

I really regret that there can't be a reconciliation between UTenn and UConn. Universities are places that try to teach reconciliation and understanding (if not taught there, where or when?). I'm sorry that two university sports programs can't model this same behavior. It no longer matters "who's right" and "who's wrong". The history is so blurred and subjective that both sides can sling mud forever. Who loses? we all do.... Let's play each other, and express our "hate" (in the second sense) on the court, rather than off it.

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
One of my favorite college players of all time.

Along with Grant Hill, one of my all time co-favorites among college players. I'm know that their are plenty of putzes still around that harbor ill-will towards him. (#32, not #33)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
1000 likes if possible. And even more.

I hate more teams in sports than I like. It makes being a fan so much more enjoyable. So even if your team is not winning, at least you can relish in teams you hate, dismal efforts. And not just teams, but individual players also. I'm not sure how one can be counted as much of a sports fan without some hatred.
Thats the other aspect of it. I love watching Uconn games, and I watch other games for the joy of seeing one of our rivals lose - TN had a very satisfying year this year for me! :rolleyes: If I didn't hate other teams, I would have watched fewer games during the year at times Uconn wasn't playing - and that drives numbers as well. Watch an SEC game ... no thanks, boring slug-fest, but notice that TN is losing to some doormat and I am searching all over for a live stream. And it is just like Yankees or Jets ... I don't want to watch them when they are clobbering someone, but let Cleveland be up big in either sport and the TV is on!

Reaction Score
There are several programs that I dislike intensely: (In no real order)

TN: Fans for their jealousy, pettiness, lies, arrogance, a large majority act like the punch line to a bad southern joke!
ND: Fans, Coaches, Players, for their self-righteousness, self-conceit, self-centered! The whole ND atmosphere where they deserve or are entitled to everything because THEY ARE NOTRE DAME! Join the Big East but NOT in FB, independent with an NBC TV contract! Loved the ACC making FB join the league!
The Muffet crying she gets no respect, when you have to EARN respect, not demand it! Shut up and win Championships!
MD: Brenda Frese is slimey, I hold onto my wallet when she's on the screen so she can't pick my pocket! Jealousy flows from her pores like sweat! Her pre and 1/2 time talks are so icky as her players sit there trying not to laugh at how stupid their coach sounds! When hired at MN she said this was her DREAM JOB, a year later she went to MD and said at the presser this was her DREAM JOB! She's an 8 year old in an adults body!
Any school that thinks they're as good or better than UCONN WBB!

shinobimono

The Sound of One Hand Clapping
Reaction Score
There are several programs that I dislike intensely: (In no real order)

TN: Fans for their jealousy, pettiness, lies, arrogance, a large majority act like the punch line to a bad southern joke!
ND: Fans, Coaches, Players, for their self-righteousness, self-conceit, self-centered! The whole ND atmosphere where they deserve or are entitled to everything because THEY ARE NOTRE DAME! Join the Big East but NOT in FB, independent with an NBC TV contract! Loved the ACC making FB join the league!
The Muffet crying she gets no respect, when you have to EARN respect, not demand it! Shut up and win Championships!
MD: Brenda Frese is slimey, I hold onto my wallet when she's on the screen so she can't pick my pocket! Jealousy flows from her pores like sweat! Her pre and 1/2 time talks are so icky as her players sit there trying not to laugh at how stupid their coach sounds! When hired at MN she said this was her DREAM JOB, a year later she went to MD and said at the presser this was her DREAM JOB! She's an 8 year old in an adults body!
Any school that thinks they're as good or better than UCONN WBB!
I gave you a like for "attitude." That is the way a die-hard fan talks. If this were a dunk contest, I would have scored you a perfect 10. I'm with you on ND and you landed some good punches on Brenda, but I like what she has accomplished at MD. Keep the faith, baby! :cool:

Last edited:

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
I dunno. After winning four straight titles, with ND thoroughly vanquished, and Tennessee even more so, it seems hard to work up any real hate. I reserved "hate" for programs that beat or challenged us regularly. Providence, Miami, Tennessee, and Notre Dame all took turns. But now? At this moment? Nope.

The view from the mountain top is clear.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Oh, but I'd definitely pay someone to put a curse on Christian Laetner. Nothing serious but something like may his beer always be flat and his pizza always cold and soggy and may he get a speeding ticket every time he leaves his house.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I voted Other. I've always hated the College of Other! Nasty so and sos. Went to one of their afternoon teas and the clotted cream was spoiled and the scones were stale. I hated that they failed to fold the napkins when I left the table for a potty break and hated that they served the food from the wrong side of where people were sitting. I hated that the tea was weak and I hated that they couldn't give me a good cup of coffee. This is America folks and not bleeping England. We celebrate the Fourth of July every year to remind us of that.

I might have been more forgiving if it wasn't for the fact that prior to the tea a boring as heck speaker droned on and on about politeness and the need for decorum. The droning was as bad as the superficial ridiculousness of the topic. If I had some fruit I would have thrown it at him. So I thought about taking the shoe from the guy next to me. You know. Like the Iraqi dude who took a toss at George W. I just was going to be smarter than that dude and claim that the guy with the missing shoe was the obvious tosser. But I held it together.

However, when I went to that tea, and observed it was the antithesis of the speech, I lost it. The anticipation of the tea was how I kept it together during the speech.

As you can see I love to hate. I believe there is not enough love in this world and certainly hate seems to always come up on the short end of the love stick. How can one hate to hate. Seems like a contradiction to me. So I love to hate and I love hate. I believe in equality of all emotions so sometimes I love to love and sometimes I hate to love particularly when someone loves to hate me. And as crazy as it may sound I sometimes hate to love when someone loves to love me.

There are appropriate times and places to express our dark side. An anonymous forum is just one such place. Now I'm not implying I'm going all Darth Sidious on people. But pleeeeze folks there might just be too much "shields up Scotty" in this thread. So all you closet haters, I want you to know that I've never related these events to anyone until now and I can say categorically that I feel really great having done so.

Regarding @meyers7 he was wrong about @Chin Diesel and can't admit to it. Beside he believes a little bit of hate is good for the soul. Being the accommodating person I am I declare I hate him. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom