Which basketball program do you hate the most? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Which basketball program do you hate the most?

Which basketball program do you hate the most?

• Duke

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • Tennessee

Votes: 91 50.6%
  • Notre Dame

Votes: 41 22.8%
  • Baylor

Votes: 15 8.3%
  • South Carolina

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • Maryland

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Other

Votes: 23 12.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Tenn no doubt, for two reasons. Foremost for the classless jealousy that produced the infamous NCAA complaint and secondarily for ossifying into near irrelevancy. That latter point puts Duke in my second place. Third - Maryland, because I find Brenda a petty irritant and a whiner.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Hate is a strong word. Do I really "hate" another basketball program? Well, yeah...

LadyVolsLogoClr.jpg

I don't hate any program (the players). I do have a very strong and deep rooted dislike and disdain for the administration and coaches of the Tennessee Lady Volunteer program (along with their conference administrators and officials) that was in place at the time of the Maya Moore matter.

I recall a line from the first RAMBO movie, when Rambo told his former C.O., Col. Sam Trautman (Richard Crenna) (referring to the local Sheriff's Department) that: "They drew first blood". :oops:
Dare I say that most UConn fans will remain as bitter and caustic towards the Volunteers as they have until (as Geno said) they publically apologize to Maya's mother and her for things that were written, said, inferred and insinuated in that matter.
Pat Summit threw down the gauntlet and drew a line in the sand in 2007. Neither party had moved or blinked since.

Reaction Score
As much as I dislike the 'off the court' garbage with Tenn, their rivalry was legit and legendary...................so, I had to vote, ND.

As far as I'm concerned, ND's abbreviated run of last second regulation miracles, overtime wins and elevated status as a UCONN thorn, were directly related to the overlapping transfers of EDD, Walker and McCormack, leaving UCONN's frontcourt in ruins. While ND had quality teams (including some fine actors) during that stretch, it was far more 'luck of the Irish' for the Flopping Irish than some recruiting, or coaching dominance. I fully understand that transfers, like injury, are part of the game, but it isn't often a team loses that much at once. I have no doubt the outcomes of those games would have more closely resembled the years of outcomes prior and those of the last 3+ years had those defections, or even one of them, notgone down.

I cannot be convinced otherwise.

That being said, I do believe the coming year's edition of ND will legitimately be a notch above the Huskies. Much to my chagrin.

Reaction Score
ND ever since the year they beat us and won their title.never could stand them

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Absolutely no hate at all.
Why bother with such a profoundly negative emotion
Joanne's antics bother me
I'm not a fan of Kim
The terrible things reported about Pat and UTenn are mostly hearsay for me... I wasn't around...
Sad, irritating...true... but hate?
No way...
Who can hate such a pathetic bunch.
As a poster above noted...We've been blessed and may continue to be
Channeling our energy into maximizing our team's future and good fortune is my main objective.
(above sentence edited to eliminate coercion so as to not suggest anyone follow this path at my suggestion). :)
See - this is why women's sports and WCBB and the WNBA in particular struggle so much - we are all such wishy-washy fans, no deep emotional commitments!

Ask a Boston fan to express their feelings about the Yankees and 'hatred' would be the gentlest expression they might use. A Rangers fan about the Fliers, and any fan of another team about the Pistons of Lambeer vintage, SF about LA, you name it. People get in bar brawls as a gentle expression of their love for their own team and repudiation for any other fan's team. But in women's sports we have to be so circumspect. We mildly disapprove of the golden domers inability to maintain their footing, or tut tut about TN, or express our feelings about Kim as an unhappiness with her wardrobe choices or sideline demeanor.

We need to grow a pair! Be obnoxious, Revel in the hatred of our rivals and return it 10 fold. Stomp on the pretenders and wannabes. Gnash our teeth when we lose and swear blood feuds on those who dare to challenge us! If not for ourselves, for the health of our sport!

To the ramparts!
:eek::rolleyes::cool::):p:D

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
;) Hey boo.

Just kidding.

I voted "other".... Kentucky, in case anybody is wondering. Barf. Although it is difficult for me to relish in what's currently happening there. I wouldn't wish that on anybody..
Hey actually I voted other. I hate Bama in all sports.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I don't hate any, but I have no respect Baylor for ducking us these past years.
Aside from ducking us, just watching Mulkey's antics on the sidelines, berating and occasionally attacking her staff in frustration makes my blood boil. Who would want to play for someone like that?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Next time I do it, I'll use the word "dislike". I will also remove Maryland and Duke and replace them with??? Kentucky? UNC? I can't imagine too many UCONN fans voting for 'bama, but i can understand why a Tenn fan would ...

Below is one of my all time favorite videos. Obviously it's all about football, but the guy is a hoot. I imagine some Tenn fans might feel the same way about Alabama... Even while he's walking away he's saying "I just can't stress that enough. I hate Tennessee"...

Reaction Score
Can't dislike any team of young women out there giving it their all. Their coaches? Another matter entirely.

Took the words right out of my mouth. There is no place in sports for hatred which only leads to violence. I do have a dislike for teams that refuse to play anyone, anywhere, anytime. My own opinion of the opponent is often formed by the style of coaching also. Players are doing what they are told and exempt from this for the most part. So having said that I do have a disdain for certain coaches that thought beating up on Stewie was a game plan.

JordyG

Reaction Score
See - this is why women's sports and WCBB and the WNBA in particular struggle so much - we are all such wishy-washy fans, no deep emotional commitments!

Ask a Boston fan to express their feelings about the Yankees and 'hatred' would be the gentlest expression they might use. A Rangers fan about the Fliers, and any fan of another team about the Pistons of Lambeer vintage, SF about LA, you name it. People get in bar brawls as a gentle expression of their love for their own team and repudiation for any other fan's team. But in women's sports we have to be so circumspect. We mildly disapprove of the golden domers inability to maintain their footing, or tut tut about TN, or express our feelings about Kim as an unhappiness with her wardrobe choices or sideline demeanor.

We need to grow a pair! Be obnoxious, Revel in the hatred of our rivals and return it 10 fold. Stomp on the pretenders and wannabes. Gnash our teeth when we lose and swear blood feuds on those who dare to challenge us! If not for ourselves, for the health of our sport!

To the ramparts!
The problem here as I see it is there are no real rivalries in WCBB as when UT was top dog and The UCONN usurped them. Some here obviously would still like to throttle UT's entire admin and the wounds are still raw. I get it. But from my viewpiont, how can I still hate such a losing, irrelevant, inept program? It's like beating an unruly child. It gains me nothing and ultimately others see it as both criminal and wastefull. From my view, rivalries generate hate, and fuel the sport overall.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Took the words right out of my mouth. There is no place in sports for hatred which only leads to violence. I do have a dislike for teams that refuse to play anyone, anywhere, anytime. My own opinion of the opponent is often formed by the style of coaching also. Players are doing what they are told and exempt from this for the most part. So having said that I do have a disdain for certain coaches that thought beating up on Stewie was a game plan.
If you thought Stewie took a whuppin' in college, wait until you see the physical price she pays in the pro's.

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
I would just like to take a step back and point out that the team currently receiving half of all votes, and more than twice as many votes as any other team, is one that hasn't faced UConn even once in the past nine seasons, which means that team has had absolutely no involvement in the last half dozen national championships that UConn has won. That is pretty remarkable if you stop and think about it.

(They got my vote too.)

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
actually it's the recruiting tactics I dislike at some schools, and the coaches' willingness to take siblings, hire parents, lie about open spots, whatever it takes. Led me to vote "other" since relates to several schools, some of which aren't on the list along with at least one on the list.

Reaction Score
Next time I do it, I'll use the word "dislike". I will also remove Maryland and Duke and replace them with??? Kentucky? UNC? I can't imagine too many UCONN fans voting for 'bama, but i can understand why a Tenn fan would ...

Below is one of my all time favorite videos. Obviously it's all about football, but the guy is a hoot. I imagine some Tenn fans might feel the same way about Alabama... Even while he's walking away he's saying "I just can't stress that enough. I hate Tennessee"...

Yes, "hate" is a strong word... but not too strong for Tennessee!!! :D

(That was the easiest poll question ever - I feel so decisive!!)

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

To the ramparts!

I agree... WCBB needs more hatred :cool::cool: I admit I was a bit let down when I attended the Rutgers-UCONN regional final here in 2008. After reading and hearing about the rivalry and dislike between the two programs and fanbases.... I was halfway hoping.... well more like 95% hoping that I would see some yelling, cursing... and maybe not fisticuffs... but at least some pushing and shoving in the stands and/or concourse between the two fanbases. I witnessed none of that, and I left the Coliseum mildly disappointed. :oops:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Duke is vaguely annoying but their trials and tribulations are entertaining.
The amount of drama in Durham and Knoxville this past season was incredible. So were the loss totals.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The folks at ESPN made a movie about this guy and the "lack of affection" for him:

ap_march_madness_best_moments_basketball_54636649.jpg

Reaction Score
The folks at ESPN made a movie about this guy and the "lack of affection" for him:

ap_march_madness_best_moments_basketball_54636649.jpg

But if you watch the program it spends very little time on why he was hated and a lot of time on what a great guy he is.

Reaction Score
I don't like to use the word "hate" (trying to break my daughter of it as well); this is one of the few things this New Age of Sensitivity has brought us that I agree with. However, I certainly despised Goestenkors, and reveled in her failures, and in turn, Duke's. Tennessee was a great rival, and Summitt definitely went out-of-bounds with her actions regarding MM, but karma has alleviated my angst with that program.

A more appropriate question could be "Who do you think our Top 5 rivals are", which would include teams/coaches/players that we don't like, are challenging UConn for top billing, or are overzealous in mocking/fouling/avoiding us. For me:
  1. Notre Dame - Talent, they play hard, have a style of play akin to ours, and frankly I don't like Muffet's hairstyle. I think many ND fans would say the EXACT same things about UConn.
  2. South Florida - Jose can coach, and they play us HARD. I think that UConn's first loss in the AAC will be to them.
  3. Baylor - I understand with Coach Mulkey's decision to avoid us when they were rebuilding; I don't agree with it, but I understand it. I LOVE her as a coach.
  4. Maryland - Because of Coach Frese's basketball accumen, I get the willies when UConn is playing them.
  5. Stanford - History, a good coach, and a solid program. They also seem to play up to UConn.
Note that South Carolina isn't on the list. They haven't really given us a game, yet; I wonder how far we've burrowed into their psyche. Maybe this season will be the one for them.

shinobimono

The Sound of One Hand Clapping
Reaction Score

To the ramparts!
Good point. Yes, it does seem that "hatred" of an opponent is characteristic of men's sports.
Having spent many years in Boston, I really enjoyed watching the Celtics on TV (tickets were hard to come by in the Bird era), but always tuning in to Johnny Most for the audio because he called the game the way partisan fans wanted to hear it. He could really fan the flames of hatred toward specific players, especially Kareem, Bill Laimbeer, Denis Rodman, and Michael Jordan ("his lordship" as Most called him). This kind of hatred really gets the blood boiling and makes the games more exciting. Unfortunately, that type of announcer is rapidly disappearing, and along with it the intense rivalry. I must admit, however, that it was much easier to get into that intense 40-minutes of hate when I was in my 30s and 40s.

shinobimono

The Sound of One Hand Clapping
Reaction Score

To the ramparts!
Good point. Yes, it does seem that "hatred" of an opponent is characteristic of men's sports.
Having spent many years in Boston, I really enjoyed watching the Celtics on TV (tickets were hard to come by in the Bird era), but always tuning in to Johnny Most for the audio because he called the game the way partisan fans wanted to hear it. He could really fan the flames of hatred toward specific players, especially Kareem, Bill Laimbeer, Denis Rodman, and Michael Jordan ("his lordship" as Most called him). This kind of hatred really gets the blood boiling and makes the games more exciting. Unfortunately, that type of announcer is rapidly disappearing, and along with it the intense rivalry. I must admit, however, that it was much easier to get into that intense 40-minutes of hate when I was in my 30s and 40s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom