Where would you like to see UConn be in football? | The Boneyard

Where would you like to see UConn be in football?

Reaction Score
Just listening to ESPNU radio on Sirius XM radio... Lugenbill's on there with another guy (the host, but I forget his name). It would be awfully nice to get some positive feedback on this station from time to time, but moreso as one of those "under the radar" programs. The ones that sneak up on the "big time" programs and knock them off.

IMO, that's where we fit in... This should be the goal for our program. Become that team nobody wants to play... And this is what I perceive is what Edsall's goal is for us. Whether he is able to stick around to see it happen or not.

I keep coming up with a team that seemed to exemplify that over the past couple of decades, but now, they seem to be trying to take that next step, with primarily 2 and 3 star talent: Boise State.

I see us working to become a team that is at this level. I could care less about being an Alabama or Clemson. We develop the way Boise State does, we become a self sustaining program.. And the real fans will be happier, then the bandwagoners (the ones who don't believe in us at all) will follow.

Thoughts????

Reaction Score
Well, Boise State never had to develop as a Division I independent. Had a couple good seasons as a Division II independent however.

Reaction Score
Agree with your goal. It's realistic and doable. Not likely we'll make the New Year's Six Bowls without a conference affiliation but why shouldn't we be able to put together a solid, competitive, team that challenges and sometimes beats the P5? Why shouldn't we be able to make a bowl game every year? Edsall got us to the Fiesta Bowl before we were D-1 (now FBS) for ten years so why can't the same formula (well, maybe with an enhanced offensive philosophy) work again?

The biggest detriment I see towards your goal is the lack of fan support (that has to have a negative effect on recruiting) and not just in football. With respect to football, the Rent was a great venue. My cousins from Indiana came out to join us for the first game and they were somewhat surprised, maybe shocked, by what they saw and felt and it got better from there. How many kids with other offers today are going to pick UConn when they can play in front of capacity crowds of excited fans at other schools?

Even our vaunted basketball programs have been struggling with attendance for over five years, even when the men were winning, and while the women continued winning. Why did we go to the joint First Night? To show how "woke" we are or to cover up the lack of interest that might turn off the high level recruits we invite to the event? I think it's the latter.

Reaction Score
Just listening to ESPNU radio on Sirius XM radio... Lugenbill's on there with another guy (the host, but I forget his name). It would be awfully nice to get some positive feedback on this station from time to time, but moreso as one of those "under the radar" programs. The ones that sneak up on the "big time" programs and knock them off.

IMO, that's where we fit in... This should be the goal for our program. Become that team nobody wants to play... And this is what I perceive is what Edsall's goal is for us. Whether he is able to stick around to see it happen or not.

I keep coming up with a team that seemed to exemplify that over the past couple of decades, but now, they seem to be trying to take that next step, with primarily 2 and 3 star talent: Boise State.

I see us working to become a team that is at this level. I could care less about being an Alabama or Clemson. We develop the way Boise State does, we become a self sustaining program.. And the real fans will be happier, then the bandwagoners (the ones who don't believe in us at all) will follow.

Thoughts????

Aren't we this already? :rolleyes: But seriously in the short term if we could just become watchable on offense, defense and special teams I would take that. Ultimately I would like see us become the best team in the northeast, this side of Penn State.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
This year, win at least one game against an FBS opponent. Someday, win multiple games against FBS opponents in the same season.

Reaction Score

Thoughts????
We have great facilities. Would dominate Yankee Conference. That is where we should be.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
My long term desire would be to have between 6 and 8 wins every year. Sneak up on some teams and an upset victory here and there. Certainly would take more than 8 wins, but for that to happen we'd have to get lucky finding another Dan O.

For the short term, This sums it up perfectly.
This year, win at least one game against an FBS opponent. Someday, win multiple games against FBS opponents in the same season.

Reaction Score
Where would I like to see UConn Football? In the newly formed Big North all sports conference with BC, Syracuse, Pitt, Maryland, Penn St, Temple, W. Virginia, Virginia, Cincinnati, Rutgers and Virg. Tech. The way the Big East should have evolved.

Reaction Score
Aloha,

FCS.

Sure, we'd all love to see UConn's football program be able to compete at the level of most upper level FBS state schools, in major conferences, with an established ongoing tradition of success & great rivalries.

However, that will never happen.

The Case for FCS. Evidence from the field? We've been amongst the 'Bottom 10' FBS teams for a long time now with no light on the horizon. From ESPN:

i
3. U-Can't (1-2)
The Huskies: Eastern Division have settled into their role as the 2019 college football "We're the guys to get you back on track" frustration releasers. After being embarrassed by Ohio State, Indiana thumped UConn 38-3. Now the Huskies will face UC(not S)F, which just suffered its first loss in nearly three years. The following week they get US(not C)F, which just ended an eight-game losing streak and is fighting to salvage its pride and its season. According to sources, in October UConn will be forced to face the Cleveland Browns, New York Knicks, Miami Marlins and the filmmakers responsible for the "Game of Thrones" finale.

More Reasons for FCS: UConn has $40 million in athletic debt (mostly due to football) with a state government that is economically paralyzed. That demands immediate action. Now!

UConn offers recruits a cold, isolated Northeast location that does not produce big-time football players in numbers & cannot attract them from Florida & other football states that do. Most UConn football recruits have been FCS-level players for a long time now. Admit it! Many high school QB's are much better than UConn's QB's this year.

FBS Football conferences avoided UConn football, even with our historically great basketball teams to bring along. We lost - because of our lousy football teams & their inability to make money for anyone. Move on. Going the AAC route was expedient but not the right answer, especially for balancing budgets.

Almost ten years of losing under several terrible coaches.

Fans struggling to see improvement where there is none this year, or last year, or the year before, etc.

No big-time FBS budget to attract the better coaches.

Disinterested fans & sponsors. Connecticut is not a football state.

The Rent is in the middle of nowhere East Hartford far from campus.

If you think that FBS Independent is the cure, just take a look at UMass or other independents that are bad on the field & have little name recognition (most really). What? Get paid to be a perennial loser to better schools?

Worst of all, UConn's overall national rankings are going south quickly due to economic shortfalls (hurt by football). The list of reasons why UConn football cannot make it in FBS goes on and on.

Solution: Join the FCS and especially the CAA conference. That should be UConn football's immediate goal & action. We'd be competitive or better right away & the FCS is a great fit for UConn's FCS level of players & coaches. Better yet, it fits our athletic budget.

Cut the losses UConn! Build back the old regional rivalries that fans could easily care about once again. Stop the insane traveling for the losing football team, even to the midwest. Balance the budget. That plan makes sense for the short-term & the long.

It's not what we'd ideally want. It's what works for what UConn football truly has become. FCS!

alohachris

UConn's calling card has long been basketball. The move to the Big East confirms that & I applaud the move. Old time tackle football has peaked as a sport. Why invest in it?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I could care less about being an Alabama or Clemson.

This is like Stifler (Sean William Scott) saying "I don't care to be Brad Pitt or Leo DiCaprio."

Reaction Score
I would just like to see UConn play a decent schedule and be competitive. 5-6 wins in a typical year and 7 wins in a really good year. I would be very satisfied with that.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
Scoring more than 3 points after putting up a stellar performance the week before

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Have a chance in every game we play unless it’s a top 10-type team.

Reaction Score
Aloha,

FCS.

Sure, we'd all love to see UConn's football program be able to compete at the level of most upper level FBS state schools, in major conferences, with an established ongoing tradition of success.

However, that will never happen.

The Case for FCS. Evidence from the field? We've been amongst the 'Bottom 10' FBS teams for a long time now with no light on the horizon. From ESPN:

i
3. U-Can't (1-2)
The Huskies: Eastern Division have settled into their role as the 2019 college football "We're the guys to get you back on track" frustration releasers. After being embarrassed by Ohio State, Indiana thumped UConn 38-3. Now the Huskies will face UC(not S)F, which just suffered its first loss in nearly three years. The following week they get US(not C)F, which just ended an eight-game losing streak and is fighting to salvage its pride and its season. According to sources, in October UConn will be forced to face the Cleveland Browns, New York Knicks, Miami Marlins and the filmmakers responsible for the "Game of Thrones" finale.

More Reasons for FCS: UConn has $40 million in athletic debt (mostly due to football) with a state government that is economically paralyzed. That demands immediate action. Now!

UConn offers recruits a cold, isolated Northeast location that does not produce big-time football players in numbers & cannot attract them from Florida & other football states that do. Most UConn football recruits have been FCS-level players for a long time now. Admit it! Many high school QB's are much better than UConn's QB's this year.

FBS Football conferences avoided UConn football, even with our historically great basketball teams to bring along. We lost - because of our lousy football teams & their inability to make money for anyone. Move on. Going the AAC route was expedient but not the right answer, especially for balancing budgets.

Almost ten years of losing under several terrible coaches.

Fans struggling to see improvement where there is none this year, or last year, or the year before, etc.

No big-time FBS budget to attract the better coaches.

Disinterested fans & sponsors. Connecticut is not a football state.

The Rent is in the middle of nowhere East Hartford far from campus.

If you think that FBS Independent is the cure, just take a look at UMass or other independents that are bad on the field & have little name recognition (most really). What? Get paid to be a perennial loser to better schools?

Worse still, UConn's overall ratings are going south quickly due to economic shortfalls (hurt by football). The list of reasons why UConn football cannot make it in FBS goes on and on.

Solution: Join the FCS and especially the CAA conference. That should be UConn football's immediate goal & action. We'd be competitive or better right away & the FCS is a great fit for UConn's FCS level of players & coaches. Better yet, it fits our athletic budget.

Cut the losses UConn! Build back the old regional rivalries that fans could easily care about once again. Stop the insane traveling for the losing football team, even to the midwest. Balance the budget. That plan makes sense for the short-term & the long.

It's not what we'd ideally want. It's what works for what UConn football truly has become. FCS!

alohachris

UConn's calling card has long been basketball. The move to the Big East confirms that & I applaud the move. Old time tackle football has peaked as a sport. Why invest in it?
I work for a university. My salary is not tax funded and likely the athletic department isn’t either. Big public misconception driven by media to get eyeballs to their “stories”

Reaction Score
Listened to Mark Packer on ESPNU Off Campus today... He made a valid point.. He used guys like Dabo Sweeney, Coach K (Duke), Frank Beamer as examples.... They all started their careers struggling.. First 5 years were crap.. His point in all this... Let the coach do his job.. Yeah, we all get impatient... but one other point he made that made this even more important is You can't keep firing coaches at this level every 2 or 3 years.. Foundations need to get established. We had one the first time around. Then we hired guys who hired the wrong guys to run our program. We went into a 'wannabe' stage and basically screwed ourselves. I see us becoming a much better, and respectable, football team in the coming years

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I work for a university. My salary is not tax funded and likely the athletic department isn’t either. Big public misconception driven by media to get eyeballs to their “stories”

ok have uconn send us back the tax dollars and we’ll see who gets paid

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Listened to Mark Packer on ESPNU Off Campus today... He made a valid point.. He used guys like Dabo Sweeney, Coach K (Duke), Frank Beamer as examples.... They all started their careers struggling.. First 5 years were crap.. His point in all this... Let the coach do his job.. Yeah, we all get impatient... but one other point he made that made this even more important is You can't keep firing coaches at this level every 2 or 3 years.. Foundations need to get established. We had one the first time around. Then we hired guys who hired the wrong guys to run our program. We went into a 'wannabe' stage and basically screwed ourselves. I see us becoming a much better, and respectable, football team in the coming years

randy edsall is 61 years old.

you have to fire losers. losers dont magically become winners. pp and diaco were losers. they got too much rope not too little.

Reaction Score
ok have uconn send us back the tax dollars and we’ll see who gets paid
Wouldn’t affect me except as a CT tax payer and then it still wouldn’t. I don’t love CT but love UCONN athletics.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Wouldn’t affect me except as a CT tax payer and then it still wouldn’t. I don’t love CT but love UCONN athletics.

that makes no sense. uconn is funded by the state with a block grant so everyone getting paid there is subsidized with taxpayer dollars. this is not a complex situation.

Reaction Score
that makes no sense. uconn is funded by the state with a block grant so everyone getting paid there is subsidized with taxpayer dollars. this is not a complex situation.
I don’t work for UConn. Universities raise grants from private corporations, Federal grants such as Department of energy for research and of course tuition which they love higher out of state. Are public universities partially funded by taxes? Sure. Do they recoup some of it when students and employees support local businesses? At least a little.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom