Where would you like to see UConn be in football? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Where would you like to see UConn be in football?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I don’t work for UConn. Universities raise grants from private corporations, Federal grants such as Department of energy for research and of course tuition which they love higher out of state. Are public universities partially funded by taxes? Sure. Do they recoup some of it when students and employees support local businesses? At least a little.

thats great we are talking about uconn.

everyone who gets paid at uconn has their salary subsidized by the ct tax payers

im not saying its good, bad or indifferent - it’s just a fact

it’s not a misconception that tax dollars subsidize the athletic department it’s reality.

Reaction Score
randy edsall is 61 years old.

you have to fire losers. losers dont magically become winners. pp and diaco were losers. they got too much rope not too little.
Was KSU's Bill Snyder a winner his entire career?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Was KSU's Bill Snyder a winner his entire career?

I have no idea what you are trying to imply but Bill Snyder was 215-117 at K State.

His first three years he went 1-10, 5-6, 7-4.

When he came out of retirement he went 6-6, 7-6, 10-3.

To answer your question - yes he won like crazy. He is an absolute no brainer first ballot hall of famer.

Randy Edsall is 61 - has a career losing record and might go 3-9 by beating Wagner, UMass and East Carolina. He hasn’t won an FBS game in so long no one can even remember it.

Invoking Bill Snyder in a conversation about Randy Edsall creates an immediate candidate for worst Boneyard post of all time - and this is a board that has a lunatic who still claims home games will start at 11:11 and multiple people who claim that scholarship offers mean nothing in recruiting.

Reaction Score
Aloha,

FCS.

Sure, we'd all love to see UConn's football program be able to compete at the level of most upper level FBS state schools, in major conferences, with an established ongoing tradition of success & great rivalries.

However, that will never happen.

The Case for FCS. Evidence from the field? We've been amongst the 'Bottom 10' FBS teams for a long time now with no light on the horizon. From ESPN:

i
3. U-Can't (1-2)
The Huskies: Eastern Division have settled into their role as the 2019 college football "We're the guys to get you back on track" frustration releasers. After being embarrassed by Ohio State, Indiana thumped UConn 38-3. Now the Huskies will face UC(not S)F, which just suffered its first loss in nearly three years. The following week they get US(not C)F, which just ended an eight-game losing streak and is fighting to salvage its pride and its season. According to sources, in October UConn will be forced to face the Cleveland Browns, New York Knicks, Miami Marlins and the filmmakers responsible for the "Game of Thrones" finale.

More Reasons for FCS: UConn has $40 million in athletic debt (mostly due to football) with a state government that is economically paralyzed. That demands immediate action. Now!

UConn offers recruits a cold, isolated Northeast location that does not produce big-time football players in numbers & cannot attract them from Florida & other football states that do. Most UConn football recruits have been FCS-level players for a long time now. Admit it! Many high school QB's are much better than UConn's QB's this year.

FBS Football conferences avoided UConn football, even with our historically great basketball teams to bring along. We lost - because of our lousy football teams & their inability to make money for anyone. Move on. Going the AAC route was expedient but not the right answer, especially for balancing budgets.

Almost ten years of losing under several terrible coaches.

Fans struggling to see improvement where there is none this year, or last year, or the year before, etc.

No big-time FBS budget to attract the better coaches.

Disinterested fans & sponsors. Connecticut is not a football state.

The Rent is in the middle of nowhere East Hartford far from campus.

If you think that FBS Independent is the cure, just take a look at UMass or other independents that are bad on the field & have little name recognition (most really). What? Get paid to be a perennial loser to better schools?

Worse still, UConn's overall ratings are going south quickly due to economic shortfalls (hurt by football). The list of reasons why UConn football cannot make it in FBS goes on and on.

Solution: Join the FCS and especially the CAA conference. That should be UConn football's immediate goal & action. We'd be competitive or better right away & the FCS is a great fit for UConn's FCS level of players & coaches. Better yet, it fits our athletic budget.

Cut the losses UConn! Build back the old regional rivalries that fans could easily care about once again. Stop the insane traveling for the losing football team, even to the midwest. Balance the budget. That plan makes sense for the short-term & the long.

It's not what we'd ideally want. It's what works for what UConn football truly has become. FCS!

alohachris

UConn's calling card has long been basketball. The move to the Big East confirms that & I applaud the move. Old time tackle football has peaked as a sport. Why invest in it?

AlohaChris, if they ever dropped to FCS, we should drop Football and start a lacrosse team, water polo, and wrestling...

What I think is that we can become a good FB team. I doubt if they drop to FCS, you'll see many people at games. You didn't before when they played UMass, URI or Maine, now after being spoiled with home games against ND, Michigan, Indiana, you think people will go and watch UConn vs New Hampshire? No, FCS is a money losing event...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
@ktuck911 you dont have the only candidate in this thread.

Yes, UConn should spend money fielding a water polo team.

It would make more sense to field a Marco Polo team.
Whaler, I posted IF UCONN WENT TO THE FCS, WE SHOULD DROP IT AND ADD LAX AND WATER POLO...Some schools do have water polo in the Northeast... I hope UConn won't go FCS...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
... and you just had the nerve to call someone else a name??!
Yes, I did...sorry. I shouldn't have said moron...Going to fix it...Just did... Thanks, Medic for telling me that I shouldn't name call...

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Whaler, I posted IF UCONN WENT TO THE FCS, WE SHOULD DROP IT AND ADDAX AND WATER POLO...Some schools do have water polo in the Northeast... I hope UConn won't go FCS...

if they drop football... it’s to stop losing money.

so why would they then spend money to add ridiculous sports.

please someone make it stop

Reaction Score
@whaler11, I bet you were one of the Whalers 'fans' who decided that when they traded Ulf, Ronnie and Grant to the Penquins you decided to abandon them. I know alot of 'fans' who did and I bet you were one of them.

FCS football is a money loser. LAX is a sport that is growing. High School LAX is growing in Florida and in California, so if you talk about UConn losing money now, it will lose more in FCS, since nobody will care about Maine or CCSU.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
@whaler11, I bet you were one of the Whalers 'fans' who decided that when they traded Ulf, Ronnie and Grant to the Penquins you decided to abandon them. I know alot of 'fans' who did and I bet you were one of them.

FCS football is a money loser. LAX is a sport that is growing. High School LAX is growing in Florida and in California, so if you talk about UConn losing money now, it will lose more in FCS, since nobody will care about Maine or CCSU.

lol you dont get much right do you

i dont want fcs football - i also dont want to waste money on dumb niche sports. if they drop football they should put all the resources into what they already have. not invent new teams that add nothing and waste money.

Reaction Score

i dont want fcs football - i also dont want to waste money on dumb niche sports. if they drop football they should put all the resources into what they already have. not invent new teams that add nothing and waste money.
they probably also have club and intramural sports. Cost money. Just dropping could negatively affect college experience and then rankings are affected

Last edited:

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Aloha,

FCS.

Sure, we'd all love to see UConn's football program be able to compete at the level of most upper level FBS state schools, in major conferences, with an established ongoing tradition of success & great rivalries.

However, that will never happen.

The Case for FCS. Evidence from the field? We've been amongst the 'Bottom 10' FBS teams for a long time now with no light on the horizon. From ESPN:

i
3. U-Can't (1-2)
The Huskies: Eastern Division have settled into their role as the 2019 college football "We're the guys to get you back on track" frustration releasers. After being embarrassed by Ohio State, Indiana thumped UConn 38-3. Now the Huskies will face UC(not S)F, which just suffered its first loss in nearly three years. The following week they get US(not C)F, which just ended an eight-game losing streak and is fighting to salvage its pride and its season. According to sources, in October UConn will be forced to face the Cleveland Browns, New York Knicks, Miami Marlins and the filmmakers responsible for the "Game of Thrones" finale.

More Reasons for FCS: UConn has $40 million in athletic debt (mostly due to football) with a state government that is economically paralyzed. That demands immediate action. Now!

UConn offers recruits a cold, isolated Northeast location that does not produce big-time football players in numbers & cannot attract them from Florida & other football states that do. Most UConn football recruits have been FCS-level players for a long time now. Admit it! Many high school QB's are much better than UConn's QB's this year.

FBS Football conferences avoided UConn football, even with our historically great basketball teams to bring along. We lost - because of our lousy football teams & their inability to make money for anyone. Move on. Going the AAC route was expedient but not the right answer, especially for balancing budgets.

Almost ten years of losing under several terrible coaches.

Fans struggling to see improvement where there is none this year, or last year, or the year before, etc.

No big-time FBS budget to attract the better coaches.

Disinterested fans & sponsors. Connecticut is not a football state.

The Rent is in the middle of nowhere East Hartford far from campus.

If you think that FBS Independent is the cure, just take a look at UMass or other independents that are bad on the field & have little name recognition (most really). What? Get paid to be a perennial loser to better schools?

Worst of all, UConn's overall national rankings are going south quickly due to economic shortfalls (hurt by football). The list of reasons why UConn football cannot make it in FBS goes on and on.

Solution: Join the FCS and especially the CAA conference. That should be UConn football's immediate goal & action. We'd be competitive or better right away & the FCS is a great fit for UConn's FCS level of players & coaches. Better yet, it fits our athletic budget.

Cut the losses UConn! Build back the old regional rivalries that fans could easily care about once again. Stop the insane traveling for the losing football team, even to the midwest. Balance the budget. That plan makes sense for the short-term & the long.

It's not what we'd ideally want. It's what works for what UConn football truly has become. FCS!

alohachris

UConn's calling card has long been basketball. The move to the Big East confirms that & I applaud the move. Old time tackle football has peaked as a sport. Why invest in it?
Why did you create an account? Honest question.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Tommy Webster was my favorite. He showed up at Rick Lee’s hockey camp and was a real

they probably also have club and intramural sports. Cost money. Just dropping could negatively affect college experience and then rankings are affected

uconn has intramurals so they should fund division 1 teams in every possible sport. galaxy brain stuff around here today folks

Reaction Score

This what programs like an Oklahoma State does. Resources into fewer but successful programs.

Husky25

Reaction Score
This what programs like an Oklahoma State does. Resources into fewer but successful programs.
Programs like Oklahoma State have (had) a super wealthy benefactor.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

Exactly. You save all the football money, plus the money you’d save cutting the equivalent dollars in female sports.

Reaction Score
This is a board that has a lunatic who still claims home games will start at 11:11
LOL. Lots of humorous fodder in this thread. Bottom line, we aren’t dropping football and aren’t moving to FCS. As for the 11:11 starts, I guess the lunatic will have to tell us.

Husky25

Reaction Score
LOL. Lots of humorous fodder in this thread. Bottom line, we aren’t dropping football and aren’t moving to FCS. As for the 11:11 starts, I guess the lunatic will have to tell us.
He does and still claims he is not wrong because a game two seasons after the claim was scheduled to kickoff at 11:00 central time (in order to fit into the 12:00 Eastern Time TV slot).

Husky25

Reaction Score
Anyone else get the yearly AD game day experience survey? First of all the survey format was awful. Only one line was visible in the free form response boxes. Be that as it may, I responded to everything with a "Neutral," at best, reaction, with two "Somewhat dissatisfied" answers.

I responded to the free form questions as follows.

UConn: Please provide any additional feedback on what you enjoyed most about the UConn Football Fan Experience so we can continue to build on this area (optional).

I like the new concession options. Parking attendants have gotten better.

UConn: In an effort to provide the best possible gameday experience, please provide any additional feedback that will continue to help us improve (optional)

I've mentioned this in previous surveys, but the 3rd down "Fire Up" music needs to be changed up. "Welcome to the Jungle" is stale (as is canned music at a college game as a whole), and as the opponent continues to convert 3rd down after third down, it becomes a sort of Pavlov's Dog. It fires up the other team instead of UConn. There are marching band arrangements for these tunes (WttJ, Hells Bells, Crazy Train, and others). Poll the players for tunes they think will fire them up, find marching band arrangements and get the UCMB more involved. Student section attendance and retention is beyond pitiful. The Athletic Department needs to work with student organizations and the student body, not antagonize them (e.g. the letter at the beginning of the season regarding the student parking lot). Surveys should be directed their way. If they don't go, why not? What would make them make the 25 mile trek? If they tailgate, but don’t attend, what will get them into the stadium? If they go to the game for the 2nd quarter, what would get them in earlier? Most important, what would make them stay beyond halftime and through the final gun?

Reaction Score
UConn: In an effort to provide the best possible gameday experience, please provide any additional feedback that will continue to help us improve (optional)

I've mentioned this in previous surveys, but the 3rd down "Fire Up" music needs to be changed up. "Welcome to the Jungle" is stale (as is canned music at a college game as a whole), and as the opponent continues to convert 3rd down after third down, it becomes a sort of Pavlov's Dog. It fires up the other team instead of UConn. There are marching band arrangements for these tunes (WttJ, Hells Bells, Crazy Train, and others). Poll the players for tunes they think will fire them up, find marching band arrangements and get the UCMB more involved. Student section attendance and retention is beyond pitiful. The Athletic Department needs to work with student organizations and the student body, not antagonize them (e.g. the letter at the beginning of the season regarding the student parking lot). Surveys should be directed their way. If they don't go, why not? What would make them make the 25 mile trek? If they tailgate, but don’t attend, what will get them into the stadium? If they go to the game for the 2nd quarter, what would get them in earlier? Most important, what would make them stay beyond halftime and through the final gun?

That's the one thing I can't stand about UConn Athletics.. they've kept whomever is in charge of entertainment for fan/crowd participation for FAR FAR FAR too long... For crying out loud, they play the same Goddoggone music they played when I was there in the late 80's/early 90's to this day... Then, when they try and do an "update" they are still a decade behind... Reeeeeeeeeediculous...

MAJOR (probably not that major, but you get me) changes should be made there. Connecticut sits between 2 trendy markets (NYC & Boston)... Yet, we're not up to date with stuff like that....

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
You

You can go back to the nearest rock your crawled out from or the women's basketball board.

I always wanted them to be like Iowa or at the very next Wisconsin. State U with smaller in state talent but very good programs. Now I will be happy a top 50 team year in and year out

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom