Where would you like to see UConn be in football? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Where would you like to see UConn be in football?

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
I'd like UConn to be competitive in the AAC, but that ship has sailed. I see a future playing James Madison, Buffalo, and Colgate in front of 6,000 people.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
I'd like UConn to be competitive in the AAC, but that ship has sailed. I see a future playing James Madison, Buffalo, and Colgate in front of 6,000 people.

Ran a quick sim for you, all at the Rent:

UConn 27 Colgate 21
Buffalo 35 UConn 20
JMU 38 UConn 15

Can't sim the attendance, but I suspect the sim lines into the stadium would be ... manageable.

Reaction Score
Aloha Husky25,

Why does anybody join athletic forums? We have too much time on our hands. Ha! Go on, admit it! Some do it to be right for at least a little bit of their day. Some do it to try & reconnect to the old school. I'm the latter - but it's difficult to reconnect w/ UConn after 50 years in Hawaii. But I still love the Huskies.

I don't know why you ask the question of me alone. No explanation for singling me out was forthcoming.

I'll tell ya one thing. Except for the mega teams, college football is in a money straight-jacket. Conversely, UConn football "leads" the nation in terms of how much the university subsidizes it - 51%! Not something to be proud of, at any level. And each student is paying about $500 per year to subsidize what has become a perennial Bottom 10 program that is only going to cost millions more in the near future as it continues to lose against real FBS Football schools (most of whom are also losing money). That aint right, IMO.

That's not how any UConn fan wants it to be. That's just how it is. There is no FBS quick fix that will bring UConn football close to a balanced budget or consistent winning in the next 20 years. It's broken & needs immediate fixing. $41 million in debt is not chump change. Time to cut costs across the board. Joining the FCS is just a tool to do that - and that could change again later. No I don't like that. It's just what's necessary.

UConn's national rankings have been steadily declining the last few years. UConn football is a prime contributor to the fiscal problems that are causing that. We can't allow such a great university to suffer such a negative fate. UConn basketball is what has helped with the school's rankings.

IMO, joining FCS is the one solution that can help cut costs, scale back the debt & keep some kind of football on campus with the hope of balancing the budget & fielding competitive teams. Yes, it IS that bad. It's offensive that my school went over the fool's gold cliff with so many others when conference realignment (football uber alles ethic) promised endless riches, but gave UConn unbelievably outrageous cost increases. Stupid leadership. We got left out of the big time conferences & real TV money. Now it's the Bottom 10.

However, Only 24 FBS football programs made money last year. Everyone else had to subsidize. That is a broken model to the sport's sustainability. Here is just one source to that effect:

hc-sp-uconn-sports-athletic-department-finances-revenue-expenses-20190117-2wdp5gimnvhlliwykl6npcmy7u-story.html

So Husky25, I guess the reason I went on the yard's football forum here was to see if anyone else here had the notion to put aside blind X's & 0's fandom discourse for a moment & discuss the sustainability issues for UConn football after so many losses (on the field & on the ledger). I mean the OP asked us where we want UConn football to be. We can't discuss that without addressing the elephant in the room & solutions for keeping UConn football viable, right?

Hey, Husky25, Just like you, I'm a fan. But I also want to be able to express opinions & hear others, even if we don't agree - nothing anyone says on a forum could ever get my goat or offend me. To me, the biggest crime on a forum is when people don't provide the back story & facts to back up an opinion or disagreement. I mean, the thread for "which dorms you stayed in while at UConn?" No nobody really wants to know the dorms. They want to know what you did there, right? The story.

Eh, what's your opinion on where you want UConn football to be & how to get there, brah?

Going for an ocean swim now at Lanikai. Laters.

A Hui Hou,
alohachris

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I want to see UConn install the triple option.

This is will produce UConn wins which will produce UConn fans.

Sometimes it really is that simple, folks.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Aloha Husky25,

Why does anybody join athletic forums? We have too much time on our hands. Ha! Go on, admit it! Some do it to be right for at least a little bit of their day. Some do it to try & reconnect to the old school. I'm the latter - but it's difficult to reconnect w/ UConn after 50 years in Hawaii. But I still love the Huskies.

I don't know why you ask the question of me alone. No explanation for singling me out was forthcoming.

I'll tell ya one thing. Except for the mega teams, college football is in a money straight-jacket. Conversely, UConn football "leads" the nation in terms of how much the university subsidizes it - 51%! Not something to be proud of, at any level. And each student is paying about $500 per year to subsidize what has become a perennial Bottom 10 program that is only going to cost millions more in the near future as it continues to lose against real FBS Football schools (most of whom are also losing money). That aint right, IMO.

That's not how any UConn fan wants it to be. That's just how it is. There is no FBS quick fix that will bring UConn football close to a balanced budget or consistent winning in the next 20 years. It's broken & needs immediate fixing. $41 million in debt is not chump change. Time to cut costs across the board. Joining the FCS is just a tool to do that - and that could change again later. No I don't like that. It's just what's necessary.

UConn's national rankings have been steadily declining the last few years. UConn football is a prime contributor to the fiscal problems that are causing that. We can't allow such a great university to suffer such a negative fate. UConn basketball is what has helped with the school's rankings.

IMO, joining FCS is the one solution that can help cut costs, scale back the debt & keep some kind of football on campus with the hope of balancing the budget & fielding competitive teams. Yes, it IS that bad. It's offensive that my school went over the fool's gold cliff with so many others when conference realignment (football uber alles ethic) promised endless riches, but gave UConn unbelievably outrageous cost increases. Stupid leadership. We got left out of the big time conferences & real TV money. Now it's the Bottom 10.

However, Only 24 FBS football programs made money last year. Everyone else had to subsidize. That is a broken model to the sport's sustainability. Here is just one source to that effect:

hc-sp-uconn-sports-athletic-department-finances-revenue-expenses-20190117-2wdp5gimnvhlliwykl6npcmy7u-story.html

So Husky25, I guess the reason I went on the yard's football forum here was to see if anyone else here had the notion to put aside blind X's & 0's fandom discourse for a moment & discuss the sustainability issues for UConn football after so many losses (on the field & on the ledger). I mean the OP asked us where we want UConn football to be. We can't discuss that without addressing the elephant in the room & solutions for keeping UConn football viable, right?

Hey, Husky25, Just like you, I'm a fan. But I also want to be able to express opinions & hear others, even if we don't agree - nothing anyone says on a forum could ever get my goat or offend me. To me, the biggest crime on a forum is when people don't provide the back story & facts to back up an opinion or disagreement. I mean, the thread for "which dorms you stayed in while at UConn?" No nobody really wants to know the dorms. They want to know what you did there, right? The story.

Eh, what's your opinion on where you want UConn football to be & how to get there, brah?

A Hui Hou,
alohachris
T.L. D.R.
You don't seem to be a fan.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Aloha Husky25,

A Hui Hou,
alohachris

on a board polluted with the worst performance art imaginable - your horrific posts can compete with the worst of them.

usually out most tedious posters who never actually attend a game are only 1 or 2 time zones away - your expertise comes from 5k miles away 5 decades ago.

you’ll fit in well. we are starting a water polo team - why not a luau team

Reaction Score
on a board polluted with the worst performance art imaginable - your horrific posts can compete with the worst of them.

usually out most tedious posters who never actually attend a game are only 1 or 2 time zones away - your expertise comes from 5k miles away 5 decades ago.

I couldn't get by the first 4 sentences but the persona could be used as a decent troll

Reaction Score

Imagine living in Hawaii and devoting that much time to writing that post.

Reaction Score
Imagine living in Hawaii and devoting that much time to writing that post.
I mean if you can get through 50 years living in Hawaii, you're probably used to having nothing to do. Funny that they've chosen now to connect with the BY. Maybe they're running out of bridge friends

I don't think I could make it more than 5

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I mean if you can get through 50 years living in Hawaii, you're probably used to having nothing to do. Funny that they've chosen now to connect with the BY. Maybe they're running out of bridge friends

I don't think I could make it more than 5

He has been in Hawaii for 50 years and his concern is the athletic department budget.

For some reason big red allows this rank stupidity that chases away anyone with a clue.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Aloha Husky25,

A Hui Hou,
alohachris
UConn’s slight slip in the U.S. News rankings has ZERO to do with football. It’s due to the reduction in money coming from the state.

If I misinterpreted your point, I apologize.

Reaction Score
Just listening to ESPNU radio on Sirius XM radio... Lugenbill's on there with another guy (the host, but I forget his name). It would be awfully nice to get some positive feedback on this station from time to time, but moreso as one of those "under the radar" programs. The ones that sneak up on the "big time" programs and knock them off.

IMO, that's where we fit in... This should be the goal for our program. Become that team nobody wants to play... And this is what I perceive is what Edsall's goal is for us. Whether he is able to stick around to see it happen or not.

I keep coming up with a team that seemed to exemplify that over the past couple of decades, but now, they seem to be trying to take that next step, with primarily 2 and 3 star talent: Boise State.

I see us working to become a team that is at this level. I could care less about being an Alabama or Clemson. We develop the way Boise State does, we become a self sustaining program.. And the real fans will be happier, then the bandwagoners (the ones who don't believe in us at all) will follow.

Thoughts????

Ok so taking this thread back to the lower 48...

Boise State.

That program was built with kids that couldn’t qualify academically or behaviorally at power schools.

I want no part of that.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Ok so taking this thread back to the lower 48...

Boise State.

That program was built with kids that couldn’t qualify academically or behaviorally at power schools.

I want no part of that.

lol do you think they won basketball championships with students. they won their first BET because of Toraino Walker. he probably couldnt spell book.

Reaction Score
lol do you think they won basketball championships with students. they won their first BET because of Toraino Walker. he probably couldnt spell book.

I’m under no illusions about “academic integrity” in college sports; but imagine the pathetic standards right now, but even lower.

Imagine not being able to academically qualify...at Auburn.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I’m under no illusions about “academic integrity” in college sports; but imagine the pathetic the standards are right now...but even lower.

love you guapo but if you want to watch students play sports i bet the nescac has webstreaming.

if you want uconn to ever win a game - you’ll need to let go of this insanity.

if you want to win at sports that matter you have to let 80 kids attend who cant do the academic work. thats just the reality.

Reaction Score
love you guapo but if you want to watch students play sports i bet the nescac has webstreaming.

if you want to win at sports that matter you have to let 80 kids attend who cant do the academic work. thats just the reality.

...or install the triple option

Reaction Score

...or install the triple option

In all seriousness

I don’t think I explained myself well; I understand and accept that UConn (and most school’s) standards are extremely low, but Boise is a different level of low; if that makes sense.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
In all seriousness

I don’t think I explained myself well; I understand and accept that UConn (and most school’s) standards are extremely low, but Boise is a different level of low; if that makes sense.

and im telling you... the difference is a margin that nobody could possibly care about. youd have to meet some of the dolts and women beaters that uconn fans still celebrate to understand

Reaction Score
and im telling you... the difference is a margin that nobody could possibly care about. youd have to meet some of the dolts and women beaters that uconn fans still celebrate to understand

Hey man, just let me feel ethically superior to Boise State, ok?

Can we at least agree that smurf turf is a moral abomination or do you want UConn to install yellow turf or something?

Reaction Score
I just hope the new president gets sports and football better than the last one. West Virginia and Louisville had the good sense to hire world beating athletic directors and get out of the way. We had Pendergast, and Warde at our most crucial points. Need a larger than life AD to come along and fix this.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
Is Diaco still rocking the red pants at La Tech? Or has he innovated his pants?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom