Where we're at without Westbrook | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Where we're at without Westbrook

Reaction Score
Evina can be the starting point guard the next 2 years. She will know the plays; and her knee will have time to fully heal. I hope the year of watching will be beneficial to her.
I don't mean to burst anyone's bubble, but I think it highly likely Evina will play one year for UCONN and then go into the pro draft.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
Hummm. Just a crazy fanatic fan here. Gotta say right out of the box I'm not impressed with transfers, period. My take is they just haven't absorbed the system and are unable to see, anticipate, respond, without the mental delay, because they have to "think", too late you just missed the play. While the're missing plays there are player that just need playing time to build confidence.

I cheer for the kids that are there and have committed to the team and program. I don't and choose to never think a freshmen is coming in and be given a starting role. I think they have to "take" it in practice. As well as convence coach the "team" is better with them on the floor.

I can not understand, what I seem to be missing. Every year we see awesome sophmore jumps and somehow Aubrey & Anna after completing their freshmen year, spending the off seasing practicing what they've learned are going to be bumped by freshmen who have never played a college game. Let alone that they don't know squat how to play in Geno's system.

God! I have and contine looking forward to every game to see the kids grow into the Uconn system of how to play the game.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I believe Paige will be our starting point guard next year. Evina will almost certainly start, but I doubt it will be as point guard. Jmo!
Tough for a freshman to play point even for someone with the obvious talent of Paige. Evina will be the next PG but PB will see a lot of minutes.

Reaction Score
I don't think Evina would have eaten as many minutes as suggested. There would be more balanced rotation and between CW, CD and Anna although I suppose Anna with her cold shooting start may have had a harder time righting the ship and her minutes would be a bit less. I think Kyla and Aubrey would have been about the same. Only Molly would be greatly affected
I believe Evina would of been a starter and made us a much better team .

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
If Evina was eligible we would not have been able to enjoy watching Kyla make the most of her senior-year opportunity. A completely healthy Evina will have her time next year. Kyla's time is now.

Reaction Score
Not sure what you're getting at here. Not with Westbrook or the transfer comment.
Actually it's about Westbrook and the Transfers IN as justification for the comment. In recent years a couple have transferred in. At lease ONE was by all reports an exceptional player with 2 years experience, the other came highly rated but not as much as the other.
Both sat a year. Most fans expected that year to be a learning year about Uconn/Geno's system. Not so much.
When either got the opportunity to play both came off the bench, MOSTLY. Neither met the expectation initially heaped upon them. Both left before their usable playing time was met.
So, Westbrook in sitting should not deliver great expectations or that the year sitting may inject UConn or Geno play into her. Accept if she is a starting PG---great. If 2 guard great. If neither don't expect more.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
So, Westbrook in sitting should not deliver great expectations or that the year sitting may inject UConn or Geno play into her. Accept if she is a starting PG---great. If 2 guard great. If neither don't expect more.

I mentioned earlier that playing this year would've given Westbrook the type of experience needed to be at full throttle next season. Of course we don't know how she'll blend into the offense at first.

Reaction Score
Things happen for a reason. I never thought Westbrook's waiver would be approved. With only 9 players on roster, this team cannot absorb any long term injuries to its starters, especially Liv. The reserves are forced to step up this season. Absolutely no room for cheerleaders on this year's team. Everyone plays, everyone contributes. Everyone will be counted on to contribute something every night. Molly has already had to start a game this season. It may not be her last depending on how Chrystal's back holds up.

UConn only plays 4 games in December - @Seton Hall (5th), Notre Dame (8th), @DePaul (16th) and Oklahoma (22nd @Mohegan Sun Arena).

This leaves plenty of time for everyone to get healthy, to work on individual and team deficiencies at practice, and going home for the holidays before beginning conference play. UConn won't reach the halfway point of their schedule until January 14th (game #15/29) @ Memphis.
These OOC games are great not real power house, but enough to allow the team to learn against better teams i.e. not AAC. The AAC games allow Geno to 'WORK ON" known issues and rest Danger, Megan, Ono.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom