Where we're at now. | The Boneyard

Where we're at now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
For pretty much of the season we have been playing with a hurt Tuck and a hurt KML. Its pretty amazing that we are undefeated and really haven't had a competitive game this season. Geno has done a great job of coaching this team with a shorter bench then is listed on the roster. That wont change.

You've got to remember that in many games Geno called off the dogs early when we had a big lead. In many games pulled some of our starters and went to a zone defense which allowed our opponets to catch up. He even pulled the fast break. Well with that said and with Tuck and KML out of the lineup what makes anything change?

Just like before we cant get into foul trouble. Some defenses may collapse on Breanna and double team her. Im not sure that will slow her down but we still have 4 other players who can score. KML was averaging approx. 12 pts a game and now the question is as a team can we make that up? With 4 other starters and a couple of kids coming off the bench I think we should have no problem with that. MoJeff has looked very good scoring, Bria has stepped up and Kiah and Saniya have been looking more to score. I think we will be fine. With Kiah in the lineup we have another shot blocker and with Saniya we are quicker and when BB comes back we will be very quick. Our next couple of games will be competitive and everybody is looking at our game at Louisville.

Remember this we are UConn and inside the heart of every kid that puts on that uniform across the front it says UConn and UConn stands for everything in the heart of a champion. Breanna as was said by Lobo during our last game she is Diana at 6'4. She can take over a game and makes things happen. She will get her team mates involved more during this next stretch.

Im not worried about the next couple of weeks I am looking forward to seeing this team grow to the next level. Breanna will emerge as great as she is infront of all eyes and become the player opponets fear most. Look for Bria to take charge and become more of a scorer just like she did when Tuck and KML went down during our tuff stretch. Mojeff is playing at a whole different level.

We may be a little shaky in our next few games as we feel our way around with KML out. But we will win. Our 20 pt avg win against top teams is a lot for opponets to over come even with KML out. Think about it. The next few weeks will make us tuffer and our only focus should be the FF which is about 6 weeks away. KML should be back before then.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Nice post Tony.
I do think that:
1. Moriah is playing at a level that we have not seen before at this point of the season. Her confidence in both leading the team and in her own scoring ability is very high.
2. Stewart is in a place similar to the 5 games she played in the NCAAs last year. She had a small slump in December, nothing like last year, but a period where her shooting was a little off. Not any more.
3. Bria is at her absolute best at the moment as can be seen by her rising percentages on FGs and from behind the arc.
4. Kiah is assering herself a little more on offense - with more playing time now, I expect even more confidence.
5. Saniya is over her funk.

The two areas of concern for me are:
6. Banks ankle - it has been stop and start for her for a month. I hope they can get it right so it doesn't not continue to be a drain.
7. Dolson - just haven't felt she was at her best since January. She is playing well, but ... a few too many turnovers and a little short on scoring.

I do think we see KML back on the floor in the NCAAs, though how good she will be is yet to be determined. Still having her on the bench in the tournament is insurance.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Geno's statement quoted in today's Courant article that KML being out will affect practice but not the team's ability to win games is a pretty pithy statement. Does it mean we can skate by the competition we face until KML is back or is he saying we can go all the way with what we have right now? I suspect he said that more for the team than the media or the fans. Saniya and Kiah may you both relish the journey ahead. I'm keeping my fingers crossed on BB's stubborn ankle problem. In Geno we trust, more than ever now.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
We panicked some what when Morgan and Kaleena went down with injuries. Yet we still soundly beat ranked teams.

This time is no different. It's in times like these that the cream will rise to the top. Bria has been on a tear. MoJef is just unbelievable. Stewie seems locked in and no one yet has been able to stop her. Stef has been a little quiet lately but she is a senior and knows what has to be done.

Kiah has shown promise on the offensive end. She is a major force on the defensive end with rebounds and shot blocking.

Sinaya has shown she can play and score. Brianna, despite the ankle, can be a presence on the court. She just has to heal.

Time will tell but I have confidence that Geno and company will make it happen. But if everyone steps up just a little, I like our chances.

Reaction Score
We believe...but more importantly, they believe in themselves. Go Huskies!
downloadfile-2.jpeg

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Great post as usual Tony! This yr is really starting to feel like the year Samarie Walker shipped out. They weren't as talented or experienced as this years team IMO- even with Maya, but the team banded together like a pack of crazed animals. You could feel the focus and intensity the rest of that year. At least I did. It will be interesting to watch how the rest of the team responds. Our teams usually respond like our Special Forces units- precision, camaraderie, and a tenacity that is rarely matched for forty minutes! Make no mistake- losing KML is a big big deal. Morgan was a big deal. This really levels the playing field alot! Survive & advance!!!!!

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
I think Geno's statement that KML begin out will affect practice more than the games is Geno getting set for the siege....he knows that the rest of the team will need to be more careful of fouls, and step up even more. What is he going to say? "Oh well, our chances just went to hell?" Not Geno - he just challenges them to be as good as he knows they can be. And that's a lot. Because the oppostion is going to try to make us foul and have go to the very short bench.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
To be a pedantic grammar scold: "Where we are now."

Reaction Score
The 2008-2009, and 2009-2010 teams played 2008-2009 - 6 1/2 players, 2009-2010 - 6 players in the Final Four. Right now UConn has 7 good players, more then either of those teams, and maybe get KML back for the tourney for 8, everyone else should be afraid.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I know where I am. Sitting on the couch typing this post.

The team? Dealing with another disruption to their march to the final four.

There is no doubt that Hartley, Dolson, Jefferson and Stewart, they have the best group of four players in the country. And with Stewart, the player that can carry a team to a championship. Losing KML is certainly a loss to the offense. But replace her with Banks and I believe the best defense in the country gets better.

I'm hopeful that Banks, Chong and Stokes can pick up their games as they did the last time KML was out.

This team seems really focused and even more determined.

I'm looking forward to a great effort on Sunday.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
It's so easy now for any ref to chg the course of history with one or two questionable or phantom calls. KML never got back to where she was prior to the elbow injury. She looked a little slower, her rebounding wasn't what it was & she wasn't on loose balls like she always was. I think the mono explains a lot. I hope she is well enough to be part of our run this year for her sake.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I can envision KML pulling a Willis Reed and show up in the sweet sixteen ready to play.

As others have said, even 20 minutes per game at that point would be a big boost.

Reaction Score
Definitely no reason to go into any kind of panic mode here. Even with the missing players and short bench, the disparity in talent between this team, even at limited strength, and potential opponents until it reaches the Final Four, is too great to pose any real danger, though margins of victory may be somewhat diminished. When the Finals come around, and they face ND, probably in the championship game, they will need to be at full strength, minus Morgan, of course. That's still a long way off. Barring any further injury (perish the thought) they should be in perfectly good shape 'til they arrive at that juncture.

Reaction Score
The 2008-2009, and 2009-2010 teams played 2008-2009 - 6 1/2 players, 2009-2010 - 6 players in the Final Four. Right now UConn has 7 good players, more then either of those teams, and maybe get KML back for the tourney for 8, everyone else should be afraid.
Right you are, but why is it that the number one wccb program in the country deals with this same problem year after year ? Really ? Are you telling me that the huskies can't find one or two additional players per year that can fit into the program ? Please ! I refuse to drink the coolaid. Our two walk-ons don't seem to have a problem " fitting in " ! This certainly benefits WCCB.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Right you are, but why is it that the number one wccb program in the country deals with this same problem year after year ? Really ? Are you telling me that the huskies can't find one or two additional players per year that can fit into the program ? Please ! I refuse to drink the coolaid. Our two walk-ons don't seem to have a problem " fitting in " ! This certainly benefits WCCB.
God, I hate that expression. Drink the koolaid... Bah.

Which players are you talking about? At least have a few in mind.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
God, I hate that expression. Drink the koolaid... Bah.

Which players are you talking about? At least have a few in mind.

I'm not worried with our 7, and I'm not drinking the kool-aid either (tho I prefer grape and cherry if anyone's serving).

However, the fact that the poster doesn't "name names" is neither here nor there with respect to the point he/she raises. Some people follow recruiting very closely, some not at all. If the number of active scholarship players looks lower than some fans would like, or than Geno would like, it's enough to beg the question without knowing who else is out there or who else UCONN was looking at. The number is the number.

Personally I get the impression that Geno *did* try to cast a little wider net this year, since he said he wanted to avoid another one-player class (but what a class Kelly was). I just think there were quite a few that got away with the stellar Mo/Breanna/Morgan class staring recruits in the face. On the other hand, I believe Geno has been quoted as saying that he recruits kids who want to compete for starting jobs, not bench jobs, and also he also has to believe that's the case when he offers scholarships. So if we think of it that way, Geno and CD are not accustomed to offering players who they really see as bench/depth types during the recruiting process. I don't know the degree to which that might be the case, but I do remember Geno talking about it.

So I see it as a fair question overall, though I'm not worried given the seven we have.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
They don't -
2008/9 had a roster of 12 but Williams, Kern, Buck, Gardler, Dixon, Fernandes* none of whom saw any significant competitive time
2009/10 had a roster of 11 with a similar bench
2010/11 had a roster of 10 with a few of the bench gone and replaced by Engeln and Johnson
What the poster is saying is that yes we could have a longer bench but it doesn't actually add much if anything to what happens in competitive games. And this is true for almost every good team. Rotations in competitive games except for teams like UK are generally very limited - very few teams in the modern era of WCBB have a bench that provides more than a couple of competitive players capable of playing at the level of starters. In that regard the 2014 team started out a lot stronger than most teams in Uconn's history with maybe the exception of the period from 2000-2002. And even with Morgan out for the year and Kaleena down again, the 7 active players represents a very good starting 5 and a really solid if short bench.
And you can look around at other D1 programs that have had very similar situation - MD last year had 6 players dressed for a number of games, Louisville (2 years ago?) was starting a walk-on at PG and had no center.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom