Where we're at now. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Where we're at now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Why do I have to go back to say , hoopgirls and name names? The point I was trying to make is, why does the #1 wccb program flirt with a short roster every single season? This is especially true, since the huskies have a history of recruiting good players with a history of injuries, before they even arrive on campus. Now look, of course every other program would love to have our problems as fans . Complaining about our short bench, with our list of all americans . Kelly Farris is my perfect example ! She was not a high school all american, but a great role player who polished her game , had great heart, and became a pro. It just seems to me that we should be able to find a couple more role players each season to round out the team.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Why do I have to go back to say , hoopgirls and name names? The point I was trying to make is, why does the #1 wccb program flirt with a short roster every single season? This is especially true, since the huskies have a history of recruiting good players with a history of injuries, before they even arrive on campus. Now look, of course every other program would love to have our problems as fans . Complaining about our short bench, with our list of all americans . Kelly Farris is my perfect example ! She was not a high school all american, but a great role player who polished her game , had great heart, and became a pro. It just seems to me that we should be able to find a couple more role players each season to round out the team.
But then you get the complaint that Geno doesn't play 'good players' enough if you have 10 good players. You can have an offense like UK where no one knows anyone else's game because they are constantly rotating 10 players in and out of the game and they have as many turnovers as assists. Or you can have a team like ND where you play your core players for long stretches of time together and occasionally rotate in a few other quality players and everyone is used to their roles and their teammates strengths and you get a 1.5+ A/TO ratio. You have to find the players that from a starring role in HS are good with a support role in college for the first year or two as they learn the system and improve their skill and as the players before them in the rotation graduate. Johnson for example could have been that type of player but decided she wasn't going to stay. Banks is that type of player and so it appears is Chong. But they are not plentiful and it is not just doing it (the sitting) it is being a positive force while doing it and not a drag because you aren't happy.
All you have to do is look at a team like the Red Sox over the last few years - they had more talent two years ago than last year, but they were not a good team and it all blew up very quickly. Yes, Geno could sign enough players to have 15 scholarship players every year, but some of them would be malcontents and the team would be worse for it. And it would be harder to recruit the really exceptional players because when they visited they would pick up on that vibe. And the practices would be worse and the experience for the coaches would be worse, and Geno would become a full time restauranteur rather than a full time coach.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
We all think Geno is a great coach - at least partly because he develops the players he gets and they get better year after year for 4 years. With all this discussion about why he doesn't offer more players and recruit more players here is a thought:
Maybe he is such a good coach because he only offers and recruits the players he knows he will be able to coach and improve.

We here on the boneyard look at Simmons and Massengale of TN for example and say - well have they grown as players during their years at TN? With an answer of no, we point to the coaches and say they aren't developing their players. Well, I can't remember with Simmons but suspect Geno didn't recruit her and I know he was involved in recruiting Massengale, but backed away from giving her an offer. Maybe he recognized something in them that suggested he would not be able to succeed in improving their games beyond what they already had.

Just a thought for those that think Geno is under-recruiting.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Genos vision is well beyond any other coaches. Genos idea of building a team is in his mind he has certain goals player should achieve by their soph and jr years in college. He can see players in HS and AAU ball and see where they're headed when they enter college. He's looking for specific players with a specific mind set. Yes we have been bitten by the injury bug and that isn't holding us back. We do things others dream about. How can a team win by 20+ with their number 1 shooter on the bench and former HS AA? and have another HS AA sitting the bench and go through 5 top teams like a warm knife through butter? That's why UConn is UConn and why they've accomplished what they have. Geno has a different mind set. Now you look at other teams ranked in the top ten struggle with a bench full of talent and a lineup full of talent. Why? I think it would be much better to ask why Geno has a short bench vs teams ranked below him who have stacked benches and ask the question why cant they compete with UConn. I think a few thinks will pop up like playtime, attitude, discipline and win to win. Yes I would like to see a solid bench of AAs but would they be ready to jump in when KML and Tuck are out? Even a better question would they be a mentally prepared while sitting the bench.

Next season will present a lot of question marks. Will KML Tuck and BB be healthy. Will Williams continue to have her ACL linger. We will have a lot of players on our roster but will they be healthy and ready to step in? No matter how you play it a roster of 9 or a roster of 14 you have to find time to develop those players and they have to want to be developed and pay the price in advance with no guarantees. That's what it takes to be a winner.

Reaction Score
Watching the Duke- North Carolina game the other day, they were saying how much talent Duke had 7 McDonald All-Americans, and they still aren't a great team. Its more about recruiting players who want to be part of a TEAM, and are willing to play within that frame work. Geno says if you can't pass, you won't play for UConn, and that means being part of a TEAM. A perfect example of what sets UConn apart , at the end of the game, Stewie got a defensive rebound, saw Bria break free, threw the ball down court for an easy layup.

Reaction Score
Tonight an announcer said Morgan may not return from this type of surgery. Relocated ligaments is touch and go. Her movement and physical therapy progress seemed to bode well for a complete recovery tho.

First I heard that it may be a career ender.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom