Where the game turned - omens, mojo and such. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Where the game turned - omens, mojo and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In choosing my attire for the day I passed on the UConn T that they gave away at Gample for the Texas game last year. We know how that turned out. I don't think it has had any good mojo this year either.
I passed on the shirt, we won, I think I'll just burn it.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Dress down Friday. Wore my HI5TORY shirt to work. Listened to that awful first half, Listened to us come back and give away the late lead once again. Drove home during the 1st and 2nd o/t, stopped at the store as the 3rd started. Pulled up to the house with 1:26 left and actually quickly debated listening in the car (hey, I've listened to a radio coverage all game and we hadn't lost) or going in to the TV (if I switch now we might lose) but the mojo spoke to me, "Go in and watch the win". Get in, brush off the wife and kid, turn on the TV and watch yet another Cincy offensive rebound lead to the 3 and I was crushed.

It was surreal as I watched Hamilton and Adams conversing about the basketball. My wife and daughter in the other room chattering away yet I no longer hear them and then...

Did you ever have those moments where time stood still? I've had them, mostly athletically but a couple of times avoiding an accident when I was driving. Its that moment when you can do, like, superhuman stuff. That's what that moment was like. I was so focused on that game that everything shrunk away and it was just me and Jalen Adams in slow motion making that shot.

After that, those Cincy kids didn't stand a chance. It was awesome.

Reaction Score
I didn't even notice that I put on my UConn womens' three-peat T-shirt today. I was unable to watch the game live and DVR'd it for an extra 30 minutes. Wasn't enough. I watched about the last 9 minutes of regulation when we lost a 6-pt lead, and thought, same pattern as the whole year. The guys proved me wrong, but damn, how much did we all suffer through 4 overtimes?

Reaction Score
My grandma just passed and would have been 99 on St Pat's day. I prayed to her near the end of the game, I think it was in 4th OT but not sure. Cashing a prayer in early, I guess. I don't think she would have survived this game if she made it another couple weeks.
@AtlantaHusky sorry to hear about your grandma. 98 is an awful good run though. I'd sign up for that one right now if I could. Utmost respect.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I couldn't watch the game at work, so I was a good fan and went silent on the communications on all electronic media.

Today is my son's 14th Bday and he was having three friends over for a night of video games, bad smells and food. I did good getting the pizzas, got chicken wings, beer, etc. No problem.

I finally get home and start watching the game on Watch ESPN. I did good all through the first half. At halftime the replay froze and I had to back out to restart the replay. When I backed out the Watch ESPN Apps home page had highlights on the bottom. I knew not to look, but the corner of my eye caught "UConn Wins 4OT thr".

At that point I felt confident of a win. I'm still pissed they blew a 7 point lead in regulation. When Cincy hit the three with 0.8 seconds left I was trying to figure out how UConn had to tie it up. I was thinking Tate George, I was thinking Rashad Anderson, a catch/shoot/foul, etc. Even watching the replay and knowing the game was going to the 4th OT, I couldn't believe the shot went in.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I started going down to the park and running the trails during games in 2011. (Only one cell phone.)

I was there for the entirety of our last two regional finals and for at least part of every conference tournament or NCAA game. I went just prior to the tip of the two title games and the Final Four games even though it was dark.

It will eventually get me eaten by a bear.

I generally text zls a picture of the woods or something because that seems to make it official as if superstitions need to witnessed.

I will be there tomorrow.

The deli is relatively new - started during football season when it was pouring and I didn't want to go run. Having an actual football player walk in likely cements it as a ritual.

Years ago, I started watching the 2nd half of games with one shoe off. From kicking the coffee table and breaking a toe in a frustrating game that we ended up winning in the 2nd half. In 14, I started the workout ritual. Every time we won, I added another 15 minutes to the treadmill or elliptical, and upped the heart rate maintenance by 10.

Today, I was tossing my Tampa Final Four bball from one hand to the other through the whole 2nd half. I think tomorrow, I'll be on the treadmill with one shoe off, dribbling the tampa ball as I work out.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I drank bourbon throughout the 1H. Since it wasn't working, I switched to Scotch for the entire 2H, and since it was working way better than the bourbon, I kept on drinking it through all four OTs. I never let the glass run empty, so I was pretty wasted by the time the game ended. It's looking like Scotch from now until the first week in April.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
I started going down to the park and running the trails during games in 2011. (Only one cell phone.)

I was there for the entirety of our last two regional finals and for at least part of every conference tournament or NCAA game. I went just prior to the tip of the two title games and the Final Four games even though it was dark.

It will eventually get me eaten by a bear.

I generally text zls a picture of the woods or something because that seems to make it official as if superstitions need to witnessed.

I will be there tomorrow.

The deli is relatively new - started during football season when it was pouring and I didn't want to go run. Having an actual football player walk in likely cements it as a ritual.

We need to get you a tent, sleeping bag, matches, and a camelbak so that you can live in that park/woods forever.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I decided that I wasn't superstitious after the 2003 ALCS.

That didn't take.

Reaction Score
It feels like a special event, a good omen that is signaling bigger things to come. It feels like the beginning of another magical run. It just feels like it's happening again. We're all in for a treat, I hope.....

Nothing makes any sense, yet it all makes sense. I'm giddy, we got some mojo

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Using this board as therapy,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Living in Florida makes finding a decent pizza pie difficult. Fortunately there are 3-4 places within a reasonable distance (20 min) that make something you're not ashamed to stuff your face eating.

Unfortunately a few weeks ago they had a pizza fund raiser sale at my son's school. Cheap pizza joint of choice to buy crappy pie from and charge unsuspecting middle schoolers $2/slice? Little Ceasar's. My son's sole request for birthday dinner tonight was Little Ceasar's. Looks like I'm stuck eating that until UConn loses.

Reaction Score
It's funny with about 2:50 left in regulation UConn had a seven point lead. Jalen Adams missed a three which led to a Cincinnati two pointer. The ball was then inbounded to Jalen who turned it over leading to a three. The lead went from 7 to 2 in about 20 seconds and I was cursing him out like crazy. Little did I know he was just setting some future excitement for us all.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I watched the whole game standing up in my bedroom, door closed. I paused a few times for the obligatory Happy Birthday song. I begrudgingly watched gifts being opened- I bought them, it wasn't much of a surprise.

After the crappy Little Ceasar's the birthday sweets were much better. He's not much of a cake kid so it was chocolate mud pie, ice cream and one of my wife's friends my a no-bake blueberry cheesecake bar pie with walnut crust. That will get eaten tomorrow too.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I stopped watching a few times today... and every time I stopped they would go on a run. I turned the game off with 0.8 seconds left and went and ate dinner. My dad called me an hour after the game, had to listen to me rant about Duke losing to Notre Dame for 5 minutes before he realized I hadn't seen the end of the game. :eek:

You're all welcome. ;)

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Most people might not believe this, and hopefully it will be buried here, but I skipped out on going to the game because I didn't want to cost them the game.

I'm in FL on vacation. I extended my stay, ostensibly to drive 3 hrs to Orlando to watch the game. Day of, I chickened out. Every big game I've watched live, UCONN has lost. And we needed this one bad.

So I missed one of the best games in UCONN history....and we might have won because of it. Sacrifice. Doing my part.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Most people might not believe this, and hopefully it will be buried here, but I skipped out on going to the game because I didn't want to cost them the game.

I'm in FL on vacation. I extended my stay, ostensibly to drive 3 hrs to Orlando to watch the game. Day of, I chickened out. Every big game I've watched live, UCONN has lost. And we needed this one bad.

So I missed one of the best games in UCONN history....and we might have won because of it. Sacrifice. Doing my part.

Where did you watch it?

Reaction Score
Wife's birthday today. Did all the good husband things I m supposed to do for her birthday. Went complete media blackout the whole day. Didn't check email afternoon at work. Didn't bring phone to dinner. Just finished that epic. Last time I watched games on DVR that I started at 11pm cst was 2014. I. Ahem. I mean UCONN won six in a row with that strategy. Also changed sweatshirts twice and put on and removed second sweatshirt 3 times during the ordeal/ triumph. That was cathartic. Thanks.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So when we first got our dog, she used to freak out a bit when I yelled during the games. She'd be all like, "What? What is it? Should we run? C'mon let's all get out of here?" Eventually she went to a vague look of distain, pretty much like "Really? Again?"

Today when Jalen hits the three at the end of the third OT, my wife and kids and I are screaming our heads off when the shot went in and my dog came over to me with her tail wagging. That's when I knew we had it. Dogs don't lie.

Reaction Score
So we HAVE to be the prohibitive favorites to win this tournament, right?

I mean if the door was open, it completely blew off and the frame is in shards. Guys - walk through it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom