Where the game turned - omens, mojo and such. | The Boneyard

Where the game turned - omens, mojo and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I am a nervous fan. I pace during close games, I turn the game off for set periods of time, whatever - a full game sitting still might kill me. In particularly important games or if the game goes south, I almost always leave the house at some point to go somewhere else and watch on my phone. It's easier on the family.

I either go to the Italian deli on a made up errand or I go running in the park. At halftime I was a bundle of nerves, so I bailed down to the deli.

I'm in the deli (upstate New York, mind you) and in walks one of our graduating seniors from the football team. You cannot beat that for an omen. I was actually overconfident in the second half....

(Until we blew the seven-point lead. Then I drove down to the park and went running. I was next to a swamp when Jalen saved the world.)

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
When you're sleepless in Orlando, why not get a little kiss! Major onions! All on his own! Oh what a smooch!

Reaction Score
Jalen and I won the game! Every time I watched Cincy came back. I thought it was safe watching up seven.....NOPE! I didn't see Adams shot. I was composing something very bad about Ollie. I finally relented and saw the final score.

We had no business winning that game. We did and I'm celebrating!!!!!!

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
I broke out The Tshirt this morning. Its got 3 ring mojo. Stuck in the office, with only myself and the owner, i took off the button down in tge 2nd OT to expose it. Sweaty pits, holes around the neck, lookin like i stole it from my little brother with my greasy burger eatin belly stuffed in it. I paced, swore, clapped, and buried my head in my arms with 0.8 secs left. Then the boss screamed.

I fuggin love this tee shirt.

Reaction Score
I posted this in another thread but who else lost all sense of reality and thought Jalen's shot won the game for a few seconds?
I had turned off the tv just as Jalen caught the ball heaved it. I didn't think it had a prayer and was swearing softly to my wife how the season was over. I come back over to the chat room to help ease my pain and complain how we blew it. Then I see how we need to maybe put Omar in when RP fouled out. I was like WTH! Did Jalen really hit it? I still can't believe it. I thought it was over like Cincy did. Good for us that Cincy felt the same way as there was no pressure on the ball when Jalen hit that shot!

Reaction Score
I had turned off the tv just as Jalen caught the ball heaved it.
Ha, I turned the TV off just after Cincy hit the three and left the room...then turned it back on as UConn was celebrating...if I had watched Jalen's shot live it would never would have gone in.

Reaction Score
I left work after 1st overtime. Kept updating on my phone on way home. Was chanting U C O N N UConn UConn UConn loudly in my car by myself during next 3 overtimes. Lots of times. Awesome win.

Reaction Score
Ha, I turned the TV off just after Cincy hit the three and left the room...then turned it back on as UConn was celebrating...if I had watched Jalen's shot live it would never would have gone in.
Yeah, after the way the season had gone especially in close games I was giving us no hope in making a prayer like that. The thing I didn't realize was how little pressure Cincy put on the ball since they were celebrating after their 3. That was important part that allowed JA to make it.

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
I posted this in another thread but who else lost all sense of reality and thought Jalen's shot won the game for a few seconds?
Haha, yeah I kind of did too for a few seconds.

Reaction Score
I am a nervous fan. I pace during close games, I turn the game off for set periods of time, whatever - a full game sitting still might kill me. In particularly important games or if the game goes south, I almost always leave the house at some point to go somewhere else and watch on my phone. It's easier on the family.

I either go to the Italian deli on a made up errand or I go running in the park. At halftime I was a bundle of nerves, so I bailed down to the deli.

I'm in the deli (upstate New York, mind you) and in walks one of our graduating seniors from the football team. You cannot beat that for an omen. I was actually overconfident in the second half....

(Until we blew the seven-point lead. Then I drove down to the park and went running. I was next to a swamp when Jalen saved the world.)
Ha, you're rituals are even weirder than mine. We are all a little crazy.

c29328

On Smoko
Reaction Score
I had an open blue shirt over my blue UConn t-shirt. I was so disgusted at half I walked up the stairs at section 104 and went to loco gringo or something. Bought 2 corona light drafts. They tasted like a mix of hate and Satans taint. Just what I needed. Tore off the outer shirt. Second half mofo. I am now sentenced to 2 more drafts at loco tomorrow.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Haiku won't cut it. Here is some free verse.

Great first two minutes,
Then came the turd sandwich,
We've eaten all season,
Given up more double digit runs,
Than in the entire history of the program,
A well played second half,
Until the bottom fell out on cue,
Reserved to a soul crushing loss,
OT's more pain then one can bear,
O Fuks, we suck,
What just happened,
Adams hits the megaball,
DVR stopped out at the end of 3,
For the best, as I couldn't stand anymore,
Relief, relief, relief.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Ha, you're rituals are even weirder than mine. We are all a little crazy.

I started going down to the park and running the trails during games in 2011. (Only one cell phone.)

I was there for the entirety of our last two regional finals and for at least part of every conference tournament or NCAA game. I went just prior to the tip of the two title games and the Final Four games even though it was dark.

It will eventually get me eaten by a bear.

I generally text zls a picture of the woods or something because that seems to make it official as if superstitions need to witnessed.

I will be there tomorrow.

The deli is relatively new - started during football season when it was pouring and I didn't want to go run. Having an actual football player walk in likely cements it as a ritual.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
First/only game I've watched this year at my sister's. My BIL has been through chemo, radiation & surgery, and is slowly recovering. We three bonded throughout the game as, one by one, we noted the various horrors we've been exposed to all season. I loved being with the two of them. It was so much fun that I blurted out, "I don't even care who wins" as the 3rd OT began.
My sister emphatically said, "Well, I care," and in that moment I realized I did too. And it looked liked Hamilton and Adams and Brimah cared too. And I knew I could could on Gibbs's foul shooting. I forgot about Miller's infuriating fouls, and everybody's missed layups, and watching the ball continue to lazily float around the perimeter as the clock dwindled, and the overall poor decision-making, and everything else that has made this the least pleasant viewing experience of any season I can recall since, well, 3 of the past 5 years, if not maybe ever. I don't really know.

I love my sister. I love my brother-in-law. I'll be watching tomorrow.

As a man with whom my daughter shares a birthday once said, "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."

Reaction Score
Today would have been my grandfather's 99th birthday... he was a big UConn fan
My grandma just passed and would have been 99 on St Pat's day. I prayed to her near the end of the game, I think it was in 4th OT but not sure. Cashing a prayer in early, I guess. I don't think she would have survived this game if she made it another couple weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom