"Where has it gotten you" | The Boneyard

"Where has it gotten you"

Reaction Score
Dana O'Neil of ESPN.com in this week's Sports Business Journal in answer to the question:
Are there college presidents willing to make basketball the premier program?

"The really good cautionary tale in all this - you can't forget who you are - is UConn. UConn went out and chased the football dollar; football didn't take off, and now basketball is going down the drain. You're in a league that makes no sense, you have no rivals and you chase football. Where has it gotten you?"

Reaction Score
What a moron. UConn needed to chase football earlier and harder. The university has supported its basketball programs very well throughout.
While the real problem is that our rivals chased football, it is somewhat true that we did too. I may be mis-remembering but couldn't we have stayed in the Big East for basketball and dropped back down for football or gone independent for football? If so, we did chase football and it hasn't worked out so well. Of course, our record would probably be even worse if we stayed in the Big East for basketball.

Reaction Score
Dana O'Neil of ESPN.com in this week's Sports Business Journal in answer to the question:
Are there college presidents willing to make basketball the premier program?

"The really good cautionary tale in all this - you can't forget who you are - is UConn. UConn went out and chased the football dollar; football didn't take off, and now basketball is going down the drain. You're in a league that makes no sense, you have no rivals and you chase football. Where has it gotten you?"

Does she mention what role ESPN has played in all of this? Probably not

Reaction Score
This is so nauseating. Hey Dana Dip , we are in the same league we have been in since 1979, unfortunately ESPN vandalized it for us.

What chasing? We were invited to join the league for football and we made the large investment and joined, then every other school "chased" the dollars ESPN and FOX offered them to leave.

God I hate that company with a passion.

We need to start winning big in football (and basketball) just to spite this evil company. Shove it right down their throat.

Last edited:

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
It's based enough ESPN bankrolled our rivals and put us into this position but to take the stance it was our doing?

Here's a cautionary tale about Rutgers. They have a basketball program that has been irrevelant for a century, a football program that aside from one field vs Louisville over a decade ago has been irrelevant and look at then now? Chased the almighty dollar and they are in the NEC.

Oh wait, I mean Big 10.

Yes it's UConn's fault we want to have a fair shake and compete at the FBS level.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Whether she is right , wrong, or there is some partial truth to this, what's concerning is the narrative about UConn hoops is quickly changing nationally.

Whether you are right, wrong, or there is some partial truth to this, you are blazingly consistent in tone.
What motivates you?

Reaction Score
It really is amazing how people who work/write for the big media outlets can know so little about certain things. With that said, when people hear UConn, they think basketball. Thats just always how its going to be.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I get why we hate hearing it even though she's right.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Whether she is right , wrong, or there is some partial truth to this, what's concerning is the narrative about UConn hoops is quickly changing nationally.
UCMBB has been pronounced dead so many times we should change our name to the fighting Lazarus'. We've had more natties in the twenty years than all but one program with the last coming three years ago. Let's see what KO can do next year before we bury the body.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I think O'Neil's problem is she doesn't like the fact that football is the bell cow for college sports. But it is. She is a basketball writer and is biased towards it. UConn is a pretty easy target to dump on right now.

August_West

Reaction Score
Lew was right too. Unfortunately it didn't work out for us.

Right now she is right . The fact is that our gambit to be ready for football for CR has hurt the hoops program. As things stand today. There is no debating that.
If you want to debate that we had to try, I can see that point.
But again as it stands today if we didn't try we are in a better place Today.

Maybe in the future that changes . Maybe not
What is she right about? The reason UConn upgraded football is that Lew warned us for years that the split is coming and football will be dividing line. Schools without it are most assuredly dead in the long-term.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Right now she is right . The fact is that our gambit to be ready for football for CR has hurt the hoops program. As things stand today. There is no debating that.
If you want to debate that we had to try, I can see that point.
But again as it stands today if we didn't try we are in a better place Today.

How has football hurt the hoops program? Calhoun's retirement has hurt the basketball program. Some bad coaching has hurt the basketball program. The NCAA has hurt the basketball program.

Someone explain this to me.

Reaction Score
I get why we hate hearing it even though she's right.

Evenutally she'll be right. Because she says it repeatedly prior to yet another championship.

But at the end of the day, it goes down into the annals with, "No one does less with so much talent than Jim Calhoun."

August_West

Reaction Score
How has football hurt the hoops program? Calhoun's retirement has hurt the basketball program. Some bad coaching has hurt the basketball program. The NCAA has hurt the basketball program.

We can debate about the level of damage thus far but I think reasonable minds can agree that there are negative consequences to being in the AAC instead of the Big East. Including recruiting and possibly a factor in player retention.

I get that in the long haul big east teams are just as screwed. But in the current landscape the big east helps our program over AAC.

No football caviar dreams and there is no doubt we are in the big east.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Are you sure?

The arc of the Big East is very, very different if UConn football is not available to backfill in 2003. Syracuse and Pitt likely get peeled off in very short order and then the next decade where the Big East became even more of a basketball monster never happen.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

The underlying claim here is that without FB we'd be in the C7 league which they see as a more viable BB league largely based on Nova's title run and the ACC's lack of NCAA accomplishments. Willfully ignoring 2014.

We are talking about a 5 year span at most. Way too short to be drawing conclusions. If the next AAC media deal is a lot higher than the BE deal then things will change. The BE still doesn't have a lot to sell in terms of eyeballs. The AAC is in a better position because of FB.

Reaction Score

League. Need big east. Need chances to play top 25 teams 6-8 times in conference play. Not 2-3 times when we hope that Cincy and SMU are gonna be ranked.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The underlying claim here is that without FB we'd be in the C7 league which they see as a more viable BB league largely based on Nova's title run and the ACC's lack of NCAA accomplishments. Willfully ignoring 2014.

We are talking about a 5 year span at most. Way too short to be drawing conclusions. If the next AAC media deal is a lot higher than the BE deal then things will change. The BE still doesn't have a lot to sell in terms of eyeballs. The AAC is in a better position because of FB.

Bingo.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom