Where does Uconn Football goes from here? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Where does Uconn Football goes from here?

Reaction Score
How does anyone know RE is staying for a good long time? and how do we know he does not just bolt again? Leaving Uconn in a (likely) precarious situation?
Well I am sure he is a hot commodity getting blown out in most of the games so far. He is not getting a better job anytime soon. That's how u know he is staying.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Whenever I get really depressed, and I'm on that ledge, I think of Northwestern and Kansas State. For most of the 20th century, those were two of the worst football programs in America. Year after year of sucking.

Then about 20 or 25 years ago, they had good coaching hires and the college football gods began to shine on them.

Our history (baggage) is nowhere near as bad as those two schools. If they can turn things around, we can.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Whenever I get really depressed, and I'm on that ledge, I think of Northwestern and Kansas State. For most of the 20th century, those were two of the worst football programs in America. Year after year of sucking.

Then about 20 or 25 years ago, they had good coaching hires and the college football gods began to shine on them.

Our history (baggage) is nowhere near as bad as those two schools. If they can turn things around, we can.
Kansas St almost dropped down to D1-AA in the late eighties. Yea, it was that bad.

Reaction Score
I don’t want to speak out of school so I will be general. Anyone who has talked to Dave Benedict privately knows he is very realistic about the mess Randy inherited and how long it will take to fix it the right way. He feels Randy will do it but it’s a multi-year process. I can’t argue with that. He also knows it’s tough to tell people to be patient after 6 years of hell. But, appropriately people do need to be patient.
As Randy has said, "recruiting, recruiting, recruiting", and that will take some time. On QB, if Marvin Washington is so highly thought of by the coaches, then he's our guy next year.

Reaction Score
What's a reasonable expectation ...

Edsall. Benedict pulled a wonderful move pushing Diaco out the door. And getting one of the few highly qualified and energetically motivated HC ... willing to work for $1. (The fact that the State doesn't reconfigure its ethics posture to allow his qualified son to work ... is poor form)

Then, HCRE overachieved in hiring by staff. I thought he would pull a Randy ... and we'd see Norries, Lyndon, Hank. But he buffed up his Rolodex and went for a little younger then key specific slots - and I actually still believe in Crocker and Wholley. Lashlee and Grimes are a big win. And as a Team of 9 recruiters plus Steinberg, Z and White ... we are 120% better than anything UConn football has been in the FBS age. Will that get us 4stars? Not going to say never. But the angst of some tossing out phrases like FCS is weak. We didn't have FCS talent in 2006-2010; now we have a better mix. Will we still take a 6-8 280 lb kid from Schenectady? Sure. Nobody named Rutgers or Wake will ever have seen him ... nor even Syracuse. Top school for Canadians? We've done great there ... and never saw one of them get a fair star evaluation and you'll never know if another US school is wanted them.

Shirreffs? I always liked him. Whether he's the best since Orlovsky, I'm not ready to say. I liked Lorentzen; but he played hurt and limited. Shirreffs does not surprise me with his leadership and moxie. The point is College ball really needs a good QB these days. We can get better than Shirreffs. That guy may be on the roster or coming in. But the previous HC regimes looked woefully inept.

I expect HCRE/TR to bring in several new great RBs. Better and better OL play. We have a good core of WRs. Going forward, the Offense could be better next year.

The speed and athleticism of the DBs is the targeted criticism. That has to be the one component that jumps in the next 12 months. The ineffectiveness of Bell and Summer is ... horrifying given my expectations. But Swain, Coyle, Fortt, Terry etc can improve dramatically. (Remember how bad Melinfonwu was and Adams. Big improvement over years). You have to think that Edsall - once again - spends enormous time on this specific unit. Tackling will get better with years of experience.

We are in a tough conference. And the brand names don't give us Pitt or Syracuse or WVU or BC; but, they might be tougher games. USF. UCF. Memphis. Houston. Navy. We faced some woeful years of the bigger names. With luck, we build a construct on O and D and Specials beyond HCRE 1.0. We will then win 7-9 per year with an occasional 10 win. And fans begin to return. We will never sell out regularly like the early BE. But we can find a big game for a full stadium demand. That's our current best case.

C

Chief00

What's a reasonable expectation ...

Edsall. Benedict pulled a wonderful move pushing Diaco out the door. And getting one of the few highly qualified and energetically motivated HC ... willing to work for $1. (The fact that the State doesn't reconfigure its ethics posture to allow his qualified son to work ... is poor form)

Then, HCRE overachieved in hiring by staff. I thought he would pull a Randy ... and we'd see Norries, Lyndon, Hank. But he buffed up his Rolodex and went for a little younger then key specific slots - and I actually still believe in Crocker and Wholley. Lashlee and Grimes are a big win. And as a Team of 9 recruiters plus Steinberg, Z and White ... we are 120% better than anything UConn football has been in the FBS age. Will that get us 4stars? Not going to say never. But the angst of some tossing out phrases like FCS is weak. We didn't have FCS talent in 2006-2010; now we have a better mix. Will we still take a 6-8 280 lb kid from Schenectady? Sure. Nobody named Rutgers or Wake will ever have seen him ... nor even Syracuse. Top school for Canadians? We've done great there ... and never saw one of them get a fair star evaluation and you'll never know if another US school is wanted them.

Shirreffs? I always liked him. Whether he's the best since Orlovsky, I'm not ready to say. I liked Lorentzen; but he played hurt and limited. Shirreffs does not surprise me with his leadership and moxie. The point is College ball really needs a good QB these days. We can get better than Shirreffs. That guy may be on the roster or coming in. But the previous HC regimes looked woefully inept.

I expect HCRE/TR to bring in several new great RBs. Better and better OL play. We have a good core of WRs. Going forward, the Offense could be better next year.

The speed and athleticism of the DBs is the targeted criticism. That has to be the one component that jumps in the next 12 months. The ineffectiveness of Bell and Summer is ... horrifying given my expectations. But Swain, Coyle, Fortt, Terry etc can improve dramatically. (Remember how bad Melinfonwu was and Adams. Big improvement over years). You have to think that Edsall - once again - spends enormous time on this specific unit. Tackling will get better with years of experience.

We are in a tough conference. And the brand names don't give us Pitt or Syracuse or WVU or BC; but, they might be tougher games. USF. UCF. Memphis. Houston. Navy. We faced some woeful years of the bigger names. With luck, we build a construct on O and D and Specials beyond HCRE 1.0. We will then win 7-9 per year with an occasional 10 win. And fans begin to return. We will never sell out regularly like the early BE. But we can find a big game for a full stadium demand. That's our current best case.

Totally agree it’s a very underrated football conference in the top half compared to the most recent Big East football teams.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
(The fact that the State doesn't reconfigure its ethics posture to allow his qualified son to work ... is poor form)
No need to. RE and school did everything properly under the ethics rules. The committee needed to create two fictions (effectively, they the rewrote they contract to change the start date and the change of command) to manufacture ethics violations that didn't exist. RE and the school will prevail in court.

Reaction Score
Next year will be very interesting, I honestly do not think they will burn redshirts like they did this year unless it comes down to injuries. Uconn football is going to rebuild in the next two years and what they really need are players that are hungry to win games in and out. I heard that couple of players might leave in the spring, I do not remember where i read that article from, but Uconn really need to load the defense with talent.

Reaction Score
That was the last game of his 4th year. They were losing to the MTSUs of the world by 50 points at home.

Navy stunk out loud. 2-10. They beat SMU and Army.

And UConn wasn't too much different then in make up as it is now....basically FCS players. They were only four years into a BCS building program.

MTSU has had a consistently solid program......FCS championship, and a few years ago beat Michigan at Michigan.

Losing to a program like MTSU isn't a disgrace........however, barely beating Maine, HC doesn't light the fireworks.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
And UConn wasn't too much different then in make up as it is now....basically FCS players. They were only four years into a BCS building program.

MTSU has had a consistently solid program.FCS championship, and a few years ago beat Michigan at Michigan.

Losing to a program like MTSU isn't a disgrace...however, barely beating Maine, HC doesn't light the fireworks.

MTSU is Middle Tennessee not Appalachian State.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom