Where does Uconn Football goes from here? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Where does Uconn Football goes from here?

Reaction Score
I don't know what everyone was expecting. Under the best scenario, we were going to be 6-6, and that was with luck and prayer (not in the huddle, just generally). We had a new HC, new coaches, new schemes across the board and lots of question marks. We could have hoped that Mizzou and Virginia would have down years, but we seem to have caught both playing their best ball of the year. We have had positives (BS, who has put up decent numbers despite showing the same traits we learned to hate in years past, young RBs, better play at WR, and something called a kick return). But we have seen lots of negatives, mostly on D (not helped by Levenberry and Okunam going in preseason), but also in kicking game and, IMO, and the disappearance of Tommy Myers.

We are what we are. And that is we are not a very good FB team. We have the same record we did last year, but I believe we have a new reality. The 16 team quit, period. Despite everything bad we have witnessed, I do not see quit. I fully believe we have a staff that does not know the meaning of the Q word. We will get better, it will simply take time. This is not a quick fix. But this feels very different that what we saw 12 months ago. As painful as it is to see the sausage being made, I firmly believe we have the right staff in place to get us where we need to be.

Now, if we can lock up Rhett before the SEC coaching carousel begins, I'd feel so much better.

Reaction Score
Absolutely worse. Fatukasi to Kevin Murphy. Ormsby and Carrezola replaced by Freeborn and who knows who else...noel brouse? Santana Sterling at MLB. Good luck pressuring the QB

Freeborn is not a 1A player.

Reaction Score
Next year is a 3-5 win year. Umass is one easier OOC game than this year. The other 2 still are problematic on the road.

The D is currently giving up 38.5 per game. Only Tulsa scored <20. Offense is averaging 25/game. Making up 2 TD's is not going to be easy since I am not sure the offense will average any higher than this year as this is about as high you have ever seen an Edsall coached team average. Defense takes longer to build than offense. Year 3 is the bowl year. Year 4 is challenging for the top of the conference.

Reaction Score
We could have hoped that Mizzou and Virginia would have down years, but we seem to have caught both playing their best ball of the year.

Now, if we can lock up Rhett before the SEC coaching carousel begins, I'd feel so much better.
Neither UVA or MO are very good teams. UVA will likely lose out and maybe be a 5 win bowl team. MO is going nowhere.

Lashlee is not going to be a head coach in the SEC, so unless your worry is that he goes back to the SEC as on OC, I don't think you have a worry. And I don't think he is returning to any SEC school after this year. OC's at 3/4 win schools rarely get looked at.

Reaction Score
Absolutely worse. Fatukasi to Kevin Murphy. Ormsby and Carrezola replaced by Freeborn and who knows who else...noel brouse? Santana Sterling at MLB. Good luck pressuring the QB
You seem to think that we are losing college football's version of the Fearsome Foursome (okay Threesome). Not exactly.
Yes I expect next year's defense to improve. Better understanding of what we're trying to do and I also think a young secondary will improve.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
You seem to think that we are losing college football's version of the Fearsome Foursome (okay Threesome). Not exactly.
Yes I expect next year's defense to improve. Better understanding of what we're trying to do and I also think a young secondary will improve.
I don't think they will improve because they are missing someting that can't be taught-speed and size. We need to recruit bigger faster players in the secondary.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Are you new here? Did you not see how long it took Edsall to get to competitive the first time?

UConn beat Iowa State and Navy in his first year as a full blown D1A school. Edsall had no problem getting the team competitive, he just couldn't make it any better than that

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
UConn beat Iowa State and Navy in his first year as a full blown D1A school. Edsall had no problem getting the team competitive, he just couldn't make it any better than that

That was the last game of his 4th year. They were losing to the MTSUs of the world by 50 points at home.

Navy stunk out loud. 2-10. They beat SMU and Army.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
That was the last game of his 4th year. They were losing to the MTSUs of the world by 50 points at home.

Navy stunk out loud. 2-10. They beat SMU and Army.

I think Edsall is mediocrity in a bottle, so I am not the right poster to be his champion. That said, upgrading a mediocre FCS team is a longer road than turning around a poorly coached team that has some talent in a midmajor league.

Reaction Score
Neither UVA or MO are very good teams. UVA will likely lose out and maybe be a 5 win bowl team. MO is going nowhere.

Lashlee is not going to be a head coach in the SEC, so unless your worry is that he goes back to the SEC as on OC, I don't think you have a worry. And I don't think he is returning to any SEC school after this year. OC's at 3/4 win schools rarely get looked at.

If you're going to quote a post, can you read it first.

I DID NOT say UVa and MO were very good teams. I said we got them at a time when they were playing their best ball of the year. UVa was on a roll, beating us, Boise and an undefeated Duke team. MO's offense is playing well the last few weeks, after struggling early. If we played MO early and UVa later, we might have caught a break.

I DID NOT say RL would get the HC gig at an SEC school. But I would not be surprised if a HC at FL, TN, OLE Miss, Miss St (assuming they lose coach to FL) looked to bring him as an OC at a sig raise. Coaches know coaches. And he is a known and proven quantity in the SEC. What our O has done this year exceeds everyone's expectations, by far. Ws are for fans, coaches do a deeper review than a USA Today review when assessing other coaches.

So please, when quoting, try and read the material you're quoting.

Reaction Score
If you're going to quote a post, can you read it first.

I DID NOT say UVa and MO were very good teams. I said we got them at a time when they were playing their best ball of the year. UVa was on a roll, beating us, Boise and an undefeated Duke team. MO's offense is playing well the last few weeks, after struggling early. If we played MO early and UVa later, we might have caught a break.

I DID NOT say RL would get the HC gig at an SEC school. But I would not be surprised if a HC at FL, TN, OLE Miss, Miss St (assuming they lose coach to FL) looked to bring him as an OC at a sig raise. Coaches know coaches. And he is a known and proven quantity in the SEC. What our O has done this year exceeds everyone's expectations, by far. Ws are for fans, coaches do a deeper review than a USA Today review when assessing other coaches.

So please, when quoting, try and read the material you're quoting.
I read it, I just don't agree with your opinions as they have no facts to support them.

UVA was week 3 and had lost to Indiana by 17 the week before the Uconn game. UVA managed only 28 against William and Mary.UVA beat up on weak competition to get to 5-1 and Duke was not undefeated when UVA played them (they lost to Miami the week before). To say they were on a roll at the time of the game is not an opinion that I see supported by any reasonable set of facts.

MO beat MO State, Idaho and now Uconn. While they may have scored more points starting the beginning of October, that team is not an offensive juggernaut and Uconn made them look like an undefeated team. MO's D was giving up an average of 39 points per game coming into last week. Again, I am not sure I see any support for your opinion that they were on a roll, unless 68 points against Idaho (2-5 in the Sunbelt) means a lot to you (their D allowed Idaho to score 21).

There is a huge talent gap between Uconn and any P5 team they play. Uconn can win against a P5 school on any given night, but they need to be 100% perfect and the other team needs to make mistakes.

On Lashlee, you have a little more basis for your opinion. He does not have a career trajectory that suggests that he is a hot commodity. I hope he stays but the points Uconn is putting up could get him some attention but I also think that W's matters when it comes to an SEC position. And he is very well known commodity in the SEC. Auburn's offense seems slightly improved without him (averaging 5 ppg higher in 2017).

Last edited:

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I can handle the occasional road apple game against a name OOC opponent, even a bad one. By comparison losing at home to bad Michigan was worse in terms of expectations.

It's the losing to the Virginia's and ECU's of the world that has to stop asap.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Love the sound reasoning and logic going around here.

We should be better, because well, we just should be.

QB play will be better without Sherriffs, because well, it should be.

The defense should be better, because how could it be worse?

We're people on here not watching the last four seasons? Does everyone suddenly think FCS talent is somehow going to be good enough to be competitive?

We're losing a kid at QB that has played good ball and is the most irreplaceable guy on the team, yet somehow even given the QBs we've run out there since Orlovsky, is criticized and underappreciated and people can't wait for the new shiny toy.

The defense is putrid, and they're losing most of the talent on it to boot.

This is going to take time. We've had the better portion of a decade of an unmitigated coaching and recruiting disaster.

Did people honestly expect Randy to walk in and we'd suddenly by 8-4 again?

Reaction Score
Love the sound reasoning and logic going around here.

We should be better, because well, we just should be.

QB play will be better without Sherriffs, because well, it should be.

The defense should be better, because how could it be worse?

We're people on here not watching the last four seasons? Does everyone suddenly think FCS talent is somehow going to be good enough to be competitive?

We're losing a kid at QB that has played good ball and is the most irreplaceable guy on the team, yet somehow even given the QBs we've run out there since Orlovsky, is criticized and underappreciated and people can't wait for the new shiny toy.

The defense is putrid, and they're losing most of the talent on it to boot.

This is going to take time. We've had the better portion of a decade of an unmitigated coaching and recruiting disaster.

Did people honestly expect Randy to walk in and we'd suddenly by 8-4 again?

I did but I had no idea how bad it was. I thought we would see the team that lost to navy last year.

Reaction Score
At least the majority of snaps from the secondary are Freshmen or redshirt Freshmen and experience matters that will definitely reduce the learning curve for next year. That in of itself should help, also EJ Levenberry will back to play LB next year and that can't hurt either - but man how about starting with reducing the cushion on these guys it's like taking candy from a baby.

I don't see how Levenberry will have eligibility left. To be granted a 6th year to play your four, you normally have to have missed two years due to injury. he missed this year due to injury but one year due to transfer.

Reaction Score
The defense will be better next year. The secondary is practically all freshman and the two seniors, Bell and Summers are awful. So definite upgrade, and in a big way, there.

Linebackers. Joseph is gone and he'll be missed. And while Diggs is a terrific leader, he's a mediocre, at best, LB. Very replaceable. The other LB positions are held by freshmen, who are only going to be better. Hopefully Levenberry returns to replace Joseph. Most promising though are the three LB's coming in next year. I see the LB position being upgraded from this year.

That leaves the line. That'll be a downgrade, no argument can be made for any of the returning backups to exceed any of this years senior starters.

Overall, I expect two of the three defensive positions (LB and Secondary) to improve. Add another year playing the 3-3-5 system and we should see a better D next year than this.

Reaction Score
How does anyone know RE is staying for a good long time? and how do we know he does not just bolt again? Leaving Uconn in a (likely) precarious situation?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom