Where does the team need to improve? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Where does the team need to improve?

Reaction Score
No shot blocking since Brimah left has hurt. Akok fix that? Also could someone rank our 3 point shooters from best to worst? ( based on pt and attempts also)
Actually Vital was the best .409
he also took the most 79/193
Then Polley .380 52/137
Jalen .355. 43/121
Gilbert at .336 42/125 had the lowest % of the main shooters
Smith was .235. 15/65
Adams .235. 22/51
Wilson .229. 8/35

Reaction Score
Wow. My eyeballs told me that Gilbert shot 3’s much better last year. They lied. He needs to push that up a bit. What will Bouknight likely do? And Akok shoots the 3 well? The 3 is critically important. Giffey type shooter is indispensable.

pj

Reaction Score
.336 is actually very good for a first year player, especially one with a shoulder injury, and functionally Gilbert was a first year player. I think he'll be a very good shooter this year. Gaffney and Bouk can shoot, Polley and Vital should continue to improve, not sure if Akok's range will extend to 3 point but maybe. We could have a very good perimeter shooting team.

Reaction Score
Anyone have Gaffney and Bouknight’s HS 3 %’s?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Carlton 6'11
Akok 6'9.5
Polley 6'9.5
Springs 6'9.5
Whaley 6'8.5
Wilson 6'7

Improving in that aspect. Imminent(10/15):confused: commitments from Andre Jackson 6'6 and a big man(6'10 Dylan Cardwell?).

Possibly another scholarship coming open for Cam, Cliff(spring), or Grad Transfer. 2021 Javonte Brown-Ferguson 7'0 may be an option as well considering the staff's ability to bring Springs into the fold.

2020 UConn can and should have the look of one of those Calhoun coached, nationally feared, championship contenders.

*Need those guys to play with that extra .5 every game this season

And Bouknight and Adams are 6'5". And Adams is now strong. Hurley made comments about having big guards and how critical that is to his defense.

Reaction Score
Wow. My eyeballs told me that Gilbert shot 3’s much better last year. They lied. He needs to push that up a bit. What will Bouknight likely do? And Akok shoots the 3 well? The 3 is critically important. Giffey type shooter is indispensable.

Well, in the few games that he attempted to play after he aggravated his shoulder injury he went 1-12. Prior to that, when healthy, he was over 36%. Not great, but passable.

Reaction Score
.336 is actually very good for a first year player, especially one with a shoulder injury, and functionally Gilbert was a first year player. I think he'll be a very good shooter this year. Gaffney and Bouk can shoot, Polley and Vital should continue to improve, not sure if Akok's range will extend to 3 point but maybe. We could have a very good perimeter shooting team.

Akok doesn't have any range EXCEPT 3s. He's been taught not to take long 2s. He will be inconsistent from deep. He could go 3/5 one game and 1/7 the next. Freshman stuff

pj

Reaction Score
Akok doesn't have any range EXCEPT 3s. He's been taught not to take long 2s. He will be inconsistent from deep. He could go 3/5 one game and 1/7 the next. Freshman stuff

Yeah I'd expect him to be similar to Brendan Adams last year 12/51 or Tarin Smith last year 15/65. Enough shots to get him experience doing it and to generate film and good statistics and show him and the coaches where he's at. Not so many that his low shooting percentage and absence from rebounding position damages the offense. Maybe three 3 pt shots per game, 24%.

Reaction Score
Remember Primary ball handlers like Gilbert & Adams sometime have to take that bad shot at the end of the clock. Gilbert might have been the best shooter on the team.

Reaction Score
You just described pretty much every player in America in 2019.

Reaction Score
You just described pretty much every player in America in 2019.

Yeah. Which is why the "extend his range to 3" comment was odd. All the kid does is dunk and shoot 3s. He'll be an effeciency machine by junior year.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
A quote from the end of the article:
"Recruiting players with size should be a priority for any program. Having players who block shots and rebound is probably every bit as important as having guys who can score. It seems obvious, but basketball favors the tall. It is probably a good idea to have at least one or two really big guys in every class. Jim Calhoun coached very few teams that didn't have at least six or seven guys 6-7 or taller and a few guys taller than 6-10. Calhoun also won three NCAA championships. "
Definitely need height at the four and five positions. Shot blockers and rebounding is valuable. At the guard position not so much. The plucky and feisty guards of Boat and Bazz took care of the much taller (6’6”) Kentucky Harrison brothers.

Reaction Score
Improve Ball movement
Better boxing out on D rebounds (less fouls, more rebounds)
Transition D
Defending the 3

Reaction Score
A quote from the end of the article:
"Recruiting players with size should be a priority for any program. Having players who block shots and rebound is probably every bit as important as having guys who can score. It seems obvious, but basketball favors the tall. It is probably a good idea to have at least one or two really big guys in every class. Jim Calhoun coached very few teams that didn't have at least six or seven guys 6-7 or taller and a few guys taller than 6-10. Calhoun also won three NCAA championships. "

It's not just size, it's skill at the relevant positions and the pieces fitting together. Towards the end, JC loved over-sized teams, with usually a 6-8 wing at the 3, and 6-10 at the 4/5.

Some of them worked well -- Rudy/Hilton/Boone in 2006 or Sticks/Adrien/Thabeet in 2009.

Some of them worked terribly -- Roscoe/Oriakhi/Drummond in 2012.

If you're going to go big like that, those wings have to be able to dribble, pass, and shoot, and the 2 true big have to be able to play outside the lane.

That said, I think Akok is the prototypical stretch-4 that Hurley wants to work with, who has big skills but is also a credible threat from the perimeter. Hurley would probably also love a guy with Sid Wilson's size at the 3, but one with more skill and basketball IQ.

pj

Reaction Score
Yeah. Which is why the "extend his range to 3" comment was odd. All the kid does is dunk and shoot 3s. He'll be an effeciency machine by junior year.

I wasn't referring to where it makes sense to shoot from, I was referring to shooting percentage as a function of distance. A lot of players have a rapid fall off in accuracy beyond a certain distance. If Akok can hit 70% from 8 feet and 25% from 3, you'd rather have him shoot from 8 feet. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's hook shot was undefendable and he hit with a 50% percentage, so that was as good as shooting 3's with a 33% percentage.

Yes, experience has shown that it's generally better to take 3's with their high offensive rebounding percentage due to the long-range rebounds, as long as you can get the shooting percentage over 30%, than shorter-range shots where the rebounds usually go to the defense -- therefore on 2 pt baskets one needs a shooting percentage over 50% at a minimum, which is hard to guarantee if you shoot from more than 5 feet. So it's natural that coaches ask him to train for 3's and dunks.

But you can go overboard on that prescription if you have a tall guy who can shoot over the defense, but his best percentage is within say 10 feet. Especially if he has good court vision and passing ability -- the quintuple threat to shoot from 10 feet, pass to the other big, or pass to any of 3 perimeter shooters is challenging to defend consistently, since it spaces the court well and everybody's a threat.

The principle is similar to the idea of attacking the zone by passing to a tall guy at the free throw line -- the defense is focused on the high-value shots near the basket and at the 3 point line, so the free throw line is relatively weakly defended, yet players practice free throws so often that they can often hit a high percentage from that spot. If you have a tall guy who can shoot over people and can pass with good court vision, then it's hard to defend.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We need to "improve" on staying healthy lol. Were one ball handler short in my opinion. If AG is hurt then we are relying on gaffney to do the ball handling without much of a backup. If this team is healthy we have shooting, length, and about 8 or 9 quality players.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

I hope he's not taking 7 threes a game, but I get what you are saying.

Reaction Score
I hope he's not taking 7 threes a game, but I get what you are saying.
I expect him to get a lot of "garbage" points and transition points just from running the floor hard. His HS footage often showed him hustling down the court as a trailer

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Definitely need height at the four and five positions. Shot blockers and rebounding is valuable. At the guard position not so much. The plucky and feisty guards of Boat and Bazz took care of the much taller (6’6”) Kentucky Harrison brothers.

Sure, if we have one of the best UCONN guards to ever do it and one of our top 3 defenders and toughest kids ever. But lack of size on the perimeter is tough to overcome in general. In today's game, that height on the perimeter certainly helps.

Hoping Gilbert can handle it, but he got swallowed up a lot last year. Lack of experience definitely played a role though.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
If you have a player that’s primarily coached to be catch and shoot that player should be judged differently with regards to assists than a player who drives to the basket.

Even then there is no stat that records failed good opportunities from failed bad opportunities. If a player passes the ball to a wide open player and that player misses the shot the passer loses an assist. Bad shooting impacts assists and can make the offense look worse if stats alone are used to make a point.

My impression was we’ve had a lot of open looks the past two seasons that were missed.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Sure, if we have one of the best UCONN guards to ever do it and one of our top 3 defenders ever. But lack of size on the perimeter is tough to overcome in general. In today's game, that height on the perimeter certainly helps.

Hoping Gilbert can handle it, but he got swallowed up a lot last year. Lack of experience definitely played a role though.
The quick hands of B and B were a nightmare for opposing guards.

Reaction Score
Yeah I'd expect him to be similar to Brendan Adams last year 12/51 or Tarin Smith last year 15/65. Enough shots to get him experience doing it and to generate film and good statistics and show him and the coaches where he's at. Not so many that his low shooting percentage and absence from rebounding position damages the offense. Maybe three 3 pt shots per game, 24%.
Based on his reputation, that seems low. I thought I read he was more of a shooter than that. If he shoots 24% from 3, this team won’t reach my unreasonable expectations for them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom