Where does the team need to improve? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Where does the team need to improve?

pj

Reaction Score
Based on his reputation, that seems low. I thought I read he was more of a shooter than that. If he shoots 24% from 3, this team won’t reach my unreasonable expectations for them.

I don't think the team's ceiling is going to be determined by Akok's 3 point shooting percentage. There are plenty of weapons. Alterique's development as a point guard, Bouknight's shot creation, emergence of a backup center, Gaffney's progression as a second ball handler, those will all be more important. We need Akok to provide shot blocking, rebounding, and solid defense without too much fouling. As long as he can pose an offensive threat from somewhere on the court, we'll be OK - it almost doesn't matter where it is, he just needs to take pressure off the other players.

Reaction Score
Definitely need height at the four and five positions. Shot blockers and rebounding is valuable. At the guard position not so much. The plucky and feisty guards of Boat and Bazz took care of the much taller (6’6”) Kentucky Harrison brothers.
It's not just size, it's skill at the relevant positions and the pieces fitting together. Towards the end, JC loved over-sized teams, with usually a 6-8 wing at the 3, and 6-10 at the 4/5.

Some of them worked well -- Rudy/Hilton/Boone in 2006 or Sticks/Adrien/Thabeet in 2009.

Some of them worked terribly -- Roscoe/Oriakhi/Drummond in 2012.

If you're going to go big like that, those wings have to be able to dribble, pass, and shoot, and the 2 true big have to be able to play outside the lane.

That said, I think Akok is the prototypical stretch-4 that Hurley wants to work with, who has big skills but is also a credible threat from the perimeter. Hurley would probably also love a guy with Sid Wilson's size at the 3, but one with more skill and basketball IQ.
Rudy could shoot the three
Sticks & Adrien we’re competent shooters
2012 only Smith had a a minimal outside game but despite him thinking he was a three he never showed much skill. Roscoe was like 7/29 from the three
That team was an awful shooting team even an allegedly great shooter like Lamb was less than.350
As terrible a three point shooting team as 2012 amazingly so was 2011
Kemba only shot .333 .
Kemba made clutch shots but his ability to penetrate draw a foul or make an interior pass elevated that team of horses .
2014 had Two in the .400+ range , 4 guys over .375 and 5 over .350
They shot an amazing .387 as a team that has to be one of the best shooting classes anywhere.

This year Carlton will be flanked by either Polley or Akok both of whom could knock it down. Their ? Is their physicality.the opposite of 2012.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
More W's, fewer L's

Reaction Score
The reason Danny wants to play more uptempo is so they have more opportunities for easy shots. As they get more and more "guys", the half court will become easier but, until he has legitimate stars, they need to press and force tempo to keep everyone engaged on both sides of the court.

Reaction Score
If Alterique stays healthy, Spring can provide some defense and rebounding, and 2 out of the other 3 rookies are solid freshman, this team is tourney bound. Especially if Akok does not play like Ajou Deng. Yup. I said it. NCAA tournament. So a healthy Alterique, a bit more interior defense and rebounding, and depth are the keys. I’m not worried about outside shooting. I am assuming Vital, Polley, Gilbert, Akok, Gaffney, and Bouknight have been shooting for months.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
If Alterique stays healthy, Spring can provide some defense and rebounding, and 2 out of the other 3 rookies are solid freshman, this team is tourney bound. Especially if Akok does not play like Ajou Deng. Yup. I said it. NCAA tournament. So a healthy Alterique, a bit more interior defense and rebounding, and depth are the keys. I’m not worried about outside shooting. I am assuming Vital, Polley, Gilbert, Akok, Gaffney, and Bouknight have been shooting for months.
We lost our best player and had a losing record, I just don't see how anyone can be so sure we're "tourney bound". I hope so, but I don't see it unless its NIT tourney bound.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom