Where do we go from here? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Where do we go from here?

Reaction Score
We have a really awesome team, but it kind of stinks that we will probably have 6 open scholarships and only two kids lined up after this season. Going to have to go all in on a late bloomer and have a great portal year.

But I do think something that gets lost in the shuffle is that Solo Ball is an absolute Dawg. He’s going to carry the back to back defending NCs in 2024-25.

Reaction Score
Ummmm… Did I miss something??? I see nothing about Cooper Flagg committing anywhere yet. WTH are you people even talking about.
To be clear. Neither has announced any commitment yet. People are just reacting to Twitter opinions and Crystal Ball picks that are going against us. Nothing has been officially announced by either Flagg or Ngongba.

Reaction Score
Is it strange we didn’t go harder after Billy Richmond? 5 star SG from NJ

Reaction Score
Ummmm… Did I miss something??? I see nothing about Cooper Flagg committing anywhere yet. WTH are you people even talking about.
I'm with you and Dookie stomper. "Reading the tea leaves" is an entertaining activity, but NUTS in reality. Still believe UConn is the place for Flagg, and hope he realizes it. Until he says anything, game on!

Reaction Score
"Missing" on Ngongba and Flagg stings but those recruitments both felt a lot more like a luxury recruitment over needing to fill a hole on the roster. 2024-25 roster seems pretty set at the 3-5 spots if Karaban does come back. If not I think our system makes finding a stretch 4 to plug in easy enough.

The guard spots are thin right now, but also pretty locked in with Nowell and Ball as starters, even if Nowell isn't starting day 1 and it takes until conference play. The openings there are suited for transfer role players over HS freshman IMO, and considering the number of offers we had out to guards this cycle that seems to be the mindset of Hurley too
Nowell starting as a freshman point guard? Don't think I want to depend on that.

Only point guards I've seen in 30 years who were ready to lead the team here as freshmen were Khalid and Sheffer and Sheffer was a 22 year old professional basketball player when he came here.

Reaction Score
Nowell starting as a freshman point guard? Don't think I want to depend on that.

Only point guards I've seen in 30 years who were ready to lead the team here as freshmen were Khalid and Sheffer and Sheffer was a 22 year old professional basketball player when he came here.

Hassan will be starting PG next year

Reaction Score

He'll be ready by December or January, and I'm good with a transfer guard who's ready to move to the bench once he's ready

Reaction Score

I don't think there is anything wrong with a freshman point guard. Especially a top 30 kid like he is. I dont think Duke or Kentucky fans worry about having a few freshman in their starting lineup. In my opinion the perfect situation would be a mix of upper classmen sophomores and freshman in our starting lineup

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

He'll be ready by December or January, and I'm good with a transfer guard who's ready to move to the bench once he's ready
What about pairing him with 5th year Diarra? More comfortable then?

Reaction Score
Diarra / Nowell
Ball / GRAD TRANSFER
Ross / Abraham
KARABAN / Stew
Samson / Singare
it’s a solid squad if Karaban Samson and Diarra come back. Would be fighting for a tourney bid. Just need a steady CG from the portal as a third ball handler incase Diarra/Nowell aren’t consistent. Perhaps a grad transfer from a midmajor that won’t care if he starts. As you said in the other thread those are the easiest guys to find in the portal.

Reaction Score

I hope and think castle may surprise us.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
it’s a solid squad if Karaban Samson and Diarra come back. Would be fighting for a tourney bid. Just need a steady CG from the portal as a third ball handler incase Diarra/Nowell aren’t consistent. Perhaps a grad transfer from a midmajor that won’t care if he starts. As you said in the other thread those are the easiest guys to find in the portal.
Fighting for a tourney bid? Come on. It's way better than that. Let's see what we've got before we project these players. Samson could emerge and look like a 1st rounder. Solo could as well. Ross/Stewart could be Karaban like in their impact.

Reaction Score
We have plenty of talent and enjoy winning titles with a chip on our shoulder. If Flagg goes there how much fun would it be to beat them?

Reaction Score
We got Newton & Spencer in the portal and they are starting....so not overly concerned about 24-25 at the moment. Don't like losing out on high targets, but considering every eligible cbb player is a free agent at the end of season any needs will be filled by DH.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
It would've been nice to land a #1, generational talent, but UConn has never really recruited at that level. Even in the Calhoun days we've always focused on that 20-50 range. It's helped us to win 5 titles. If that's what we have to continue to do I'm ok with it.

Reaction Score
It would've been nice to land a #1, generational talent, but UConn has never really recruited at that level. Even in the Calhoun days we've always focused on that 20-50 range. It's helped us to win 5 titles. If that's what we have to continue to do I'm ok with it.
The issue is, we have one commit in that range, and no others on the horizon.

Reaction Score
Ngongba and Betsey hurt, especially Betsey can’t lose the home state kids that can impact the program. They did bring in what will be a very good combo guard as well as a solid wing piece. The portal will be important, maybe even coaches getting fired so kids change their minds.

We know this staff will land on their feet somehow but we won’t know for a long while. Until then enjoy the season should also be very interesting!!!

Being that Betsey chose Cincinnati, I think it might be a good thing he didn't come here. IQ might not be all there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom