Where do we go from here? | The Boneyard

Where do we go from here?

Reaction Score
Tough couple days on the old cruiting trail.

I don’t think we have any other offers out to 24s.

Do we pivot to purely 25s and then portal?

This sure stings right now, but I know this will only motivate this staff.

Reaction Score
Tough couple days on the old cruiting trail.

I don’t think we have any other offers out to 24s.

Do we pivot to purely 25s and then portal?

This sure stings right now, but I know this will only motivate this staff.
It’s not what you want.

Maybe a reclass?

Reaction Score
Not gonna lie missing on Flagg and Big Pat is very disappointing. I’m sure we’ll hit the portal hard in the Spring to pick up an impact guy or 2.

Time to shift focus to 2025 and get in early on some guys. I still think we can land top 25 guys consistently in the coming years.

And it’s time to revert back to schitting on Providence.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Seems like the portal for any big needs and maybe some roster fillers once we know how many spots we’ll have to fill. We’re probably done until after the season for 2024 though.

Reaction Score
Retaining Samson for 24-25 is going to be very important, I suspect. Samson and Singare should be fine at center, but if he's gone, woo boy. We should be pretty good at 3/4.

Diarra? (X) / Nowell
Ball / X
Ross / Abraham
Stew / Roumoglou? (X)
Samson / Singare

Definitely feels like we're a 2/3 light in the recruiting ranks. It's hard to get quality transfers in as backups and our starters are probably going to be set (though maybe 1 of the freshmen underachieves and we'll transfer recruit over them). We'd also need another guard if Diarra doesnt take his 5th year (or doesnt improve).

Sanon reclass is probably best case scenario, but those are always hit or miss.

I would love it if like a VJ Edgecome went to Duke and we could steal away someone like Darren Harris if he de-committed (former teammate of Abraham). Maybe we can get back in with Jahki Howard. His recruitment seems to be still spinning along.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ultimately we’ll be fine but there a lot more question marks than I was expecting we’d have at this point

Reaction Score
Retaining Samson for 24-25 is going to be very important, I suspect. Samson and Singare should be fine at center, but if he's gone, woo boy. We should be pretty good at 3/4.

Diarra? (X) / Nowell
Ball / X
Ross / Abraham
Stew / Roumoglou? (X)
Samson / Singare

Definitely feels like we're a 2/3 light in the recruiting ranks. It's hard to get quality transfers in as backups and our starters are probably going to be set (though maybe 1 of the freshmen underachieves and we'll transfer recruit over them). We'd also need another guard if Diarra doesnt take his 5th year (or doesnt improve).

Sanon reclass is probably best case scenario, but those are always hit or miss.

I would love it if like a VJ Edgecome went to Duke and we could steal away someone like Darren Harris if he de-committed (former teammate of Abraham). Maybe we can get back in with Jahki Howard. His recruitment seems to be still spinning along.
Where would Samson go?

That rotation is a bit scary, not in a great way on paper. I don't expect Karaban to leave after this year which would make things look a lot better but we're still far too light at guard and center. Loaded at the 3/4.

Reaction Score
Where would Samson go?

That rotation is a bit scary, not in a great way on paper. I don't expect Karaban to leave after this year which would make things look a lot better but we're still far too light at guard and center. Loaded at the 3/4.
I just mentioned that because he's got a wide range of outcomes on his season.

If he's not good enough or gets hurt again, he'll transfer out for more minutes. If he's too good, he's got the tools and measurables to go pro. It's probably unlikely, but I think it's something that could happen. The percentage of 6'10 guys who can run and jump and shoot with his wingspan that are in the NBA is high. Scouts will give him a mulligan on soph year (and if Karaban is really good it's an easy narrative win that he started over him before getting hurt), so his age will work against him less than others (plus the late to basketball narrative).

The most likely outcome is he's a quality backup and sticks around to start the next year, especially since he didn't transfer out last year and seems content to backup Clingan this year. But everything's on the table and it's pretty grim if he leaves.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
Ummmm… Did I miss something??? I see nothing about Cooper Flagg committing anywhere yet. WTH are you people even talking about.

Reaction Score
Hurley has proven to be successful in the portal. Patience. Enjoy the season.

Reaction Score
Confused by this thread. Did Cooper and Patrick commit elsewhere because I can't find anything on it?

Reaction Score
Not worried about it. We will have two very good recruits coming in next season along with likely 4 returning sophomores. Hurley will hit the portal hard if he has to and we will get the pieces we need while focusing on the 2025 class. I will say though, losing out on both Betsey and Ngongba would sting. Betsey because he was obviously a CT kid and we lost him to Cinci of all places and Ngongba because he is the player we need the most, he would be a direct successor to Adama. Never bought the noise about Flagg to the good guys, thought he was always going to be Duke bound so not the least bit surprised about that one.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
At least need to offer, and land, a shooter and big man for 2024. Fill the rest of our needs with the portal. Diarra, Castle, Newton, Spencer, and Clingan are gone after this season. Right now we’re probably looking at a lineup of Nowell, Ball, Ross, Karaban, and Johnson for 24-25. That’s respectable but need an experienced ball handler and a shooter off the bench for depth.

Reaction Score
Ngongba and Betsey hurt, especially Betsey can’t lose the home state kids that can impact the program. They did bring in what will be a very good combo guard as well as a solid wing piece. The portal will be important, maybe even coaches getting fired so kids change their minds.

We know this staff will land on their feet somehow but we won’t know for a long while. Until then enjoy the season should also be very interesting!!!

Reaction Score
The staff will recruit until the final buzzer, and then fill in the gaps with the transfer portal. Remember, last year we had only 2 freshmen on the roster and our starting PG was Andrew Hurley until April. And now we’re national champions

If our roster is looking bad in August of next year, then I’ll worry about it. Until then, not concerned at all

Reaction Score
"Missing" on Ngongba and Flagg stings but those recruitments both felt a lot more like a luxury recruitment over needing to fill a hole on the roster. 2024-25 roster seems pretty set at the 3-5 spots if Karaban does come back. If not I think our system makes finding a stretch 4 to plug in easy enough.

The guard spots are thin right now, but also pretty locked in with Nowell and Ball as starters, even if Nowell isn't starting day 1 and it takes until conference play. The openings there are suited for transfer role players over HS freshman IMO, and considering the number of offers we had out to guards this cycle that seems to be the mindset of Hurley too

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Where would Samson go?

We may or may not be light at center. I don't think we know yet. Samson could be lights out, Singare could be, as he says "not raw". We are super light at guard. If there are any 2024 guards out there I don't understand why we aren't in on them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom