Where can UConn improve the most? | The Boneyard

Where can UConn improve the most?

Status
Not open for further replies.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
As good as they were last year (outside the 3 ND games), what specific area do you think UConn can improve?

I'll start by saying 3 point shooting. I know, KML. But there are several players that can improve and will improve.

Stewart 28-84
Tuck 13-45
Banks 18-52
Hartley 44-148

Combined this is 31.3%.

Lots of room for improvement.

Stewart could take 50-60 more and hit around 40%.
Hartley could bring her percentage up from 29 to around 40 as well.
Not sure if Banks will improve, but she has had lots of time to practice shoot as she rehabs.
Tuck has the ability. If she calms down and shoots like the 3 point winner of the McD game her percentage will go up.
Add in Chong, an excellent 3 point shooter.

I can see them a combined 38%.

Of course, the graduation of Faris will hurt. Amazingly, she shot almost 42% last year. When you add her and Doty together, UConn is losing 207 three point shots taken and made at a 38% clip.

207 shots is a lot to make up. around 5 a game. But I think they will take and make even more next year.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
FTs. We were down a bit in that department last year. Didn't get to the line as much as we normally do. First time in awhile we have been under 600 attempts. We should shoot for more FT attempts than opponents FT made. Also 76.4% is ok, but I think we can get to 77 or 78%.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
(From previous post.....)
In keeping with Geno's mantra that "improvement is always possible", here's a short list of five areas UConn can work on to make this coming season the success we all hope it will be:
1. Brianna Banks has to return to the form she flashed just before her injury. She doesn't need to be there Day 1, but hopefully halfway through the season. UConn lost 9 years of experience at guard with Faris and Doty, and 1,787 minutes of playing time last season.Banks will need to log many of those minutes to lessen the pressure on Jefferson and Chong. She needs to handle the ball, penetrate the lane, draw fouls and make up for Faris' 96 lost steals. Her 33 free throws in just 359 minutes is testimony to her ability with the ball. (Jefferson had only 25 free throws in 677 minutes.) Banks also had 25 steals in those limited minutes and could add 50 more playing 900-1,000 minutes this season. Her 48% shooting could improve a bit as well and provide yet another option on offense.
2. Morgan Tuck needs to be the versatile and reliable back-up to the best front line in the nation. All-American Dolson, All-American KML and All-World Stewart. Those three averaged a total of 80.7 minutes per game, out of a possible 120 (3 players x 40 minutes per). Tuck and Kiah Stokes are the only two other bigs on the roster. Tuck's 15 minutes per game needs to be 20-25 per to save wear and tear on the others. UConn lost 223 rebounds with Faris gone, 4th behind Dolson (269), KML (240) and Stewie (229). Tuck needs to at least double her 120 rebounds and raise her 6.4 point scoring average to over 10 pts per game. (Faris average was 10.2 per.) Mixing and matching a healthy Tuck with her low post moves and 3 pt. shooting with Dolson, KML and Stewie creates match-up nightmares for opponents. And finally, Tuck needs to improve her 28.9% shooting on 3's (13 for 45).
3. Breanna Stewart finished last year with a scoring, rebounding and blocked shot performance for the ages. In the last two games she scored 52 points, went 7 for 8 on 3's and grabbed 14 rebounds. She also had 7 blocked shots! For the season, Stewie led the team with 57 blocks in her first 31 games. But in 5 tournament games, she had 17 blocks for a 3.4 per game average. Over a full season that comes out to over 130 blocks. Griner was 6'8" with a 7'4" "wingspan". Stewie is 6'4", but has a 7'1" reach. And she is deceptively athletic. She can become the kind of shot blocker that shuts down the lane, lets guards go for steals knowing they have help behind and keeps many smaller opponents from even trying "normal" shots out of fear of being stuffed.
4. Bria Hartley was an All-American, the year before last, when she scored 533 points on 46.5% shooting. Last year, slowed by injury, she scored only 342 points on 39.1% accuracy. With Banks and Jefferson playing much of the point, Bria can become more of a shooting guard. She can still lead fast breaks and drive the lane, but UConn needs Bria to get her scoring touch back. She missed 104 3's and made an anemic 29.7% from outside the arc. In addition, her 86 turnovers led the team. Shoot better and turn the ball over less.
5. Last year UConn was a walking M.A.S.H. unit. The most serious injury was Brianna Banks' knee, which cost her half the season. But only two players (Faris and Jefferson) played in all 39 games. Seven other missed games with nagging injuries and were less effective when they did come back. Dolson actually played in 38 of 39 and was remarkable in the tournament despite injuries to both legs/feet. UConn could use better health this year with only 9 scholarship players and a long season with lots of travel. Not sure how to "improve" in the injury area, but it would sure be nice to have all nine healthy and fit.
Go Huskies...!!

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Although they surely were a juggernaut in the tourney, they were much less so in the regular season.
The iNCAA period allowed for a much fuller understanding of what coaches and players expect from each other resulting in team performance fulfilling their (and our) expectations.

That wisdom will continue to develop in the coming year.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
IMHO the area I would like to see the most improvement is in rebounding. Last year there was no one ranked in the Top 25o. I realize minutes per game contributes to this stat. However, Stef should be able to average close to double digits in rebounding with her superior size in most games. If she wants to have a long WNBA career she'll have to improve her rebounding.

Probably with the exception of KML, I would like to see less reliance on 3 point shooting. The team averaged 22 three point shot attempts per game, I would like to see that average around 15/16 a game with around a 40% made rate. There were times last year, the team during long stretches of time the primary offense was jacking up three point attempts. While I expect we'll see more, I don't want to see Morgan taking 45 three point attempts next year. :) That's not her strength.

Reaction Score
With my tongue firmly planted in my cheek and my sarcasm meter pegged

Obviously coaching. I've read it here in the Boneyard that Geno and company mis-managed the team for most of last season.
I actually expect the coaching to improve or at least be smoother in the beginning of the season. A lot of the rockier parts of the regular season were because of three frosh figuring out how to fit in...and the coaching staff figuring out how they fit and how to maximize their contributions. Much less of that this year.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I really don't think we have a weakness, so this must be taken with that understanding. Our biggest "weakness" for awhile has been feeding the post from the perimeter. Our best at it last year was Faris and she's gone. I have great hopes that Chong will be good at this, and that Jefferson will improve on some promising glimpses of feeding the post. A big factor in the 2002 dominance, despite undersize posts, was having two exemplary guards ... Bird and Taurasi ... being able to feed them in the right spot at the right time. With Dolson, Stewart and Tuck to feed in the posts I'd love to see us get that way again.

On edit: This "improvement" also would lead to more foul shots.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Boneyarders and TV commentators have noted the diminished foul shooting this past season. We were a perimeter weighted team last year and I do not expect that to change much. However, it would be good to see more times when people would drive to the basket and draw that foul.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
As others have noted. Getting to the line is the most important area. It not only is about getting the FTs it is, also, about putting your opponent in foul trouble and that can reap huge benefits.

T

TroyHouse66

Concur w/ Icebear's point.
Hanging more fouls around your opponent's neck... early. is a key strategy. Not only provides our scoring points from the line, but disrupts the opponent's personnel that can be on the floor during the game.
When the opponents aren't as interchangeable as our team... they are forced into trying to perform with a weak link (or several) on the floor. Results can materialize as: Bad passes.. poor shot selection.. panic reaction.. reduced rebounding.. confused defense alignments
The premier example of using this "early fouls to reap reduce capability" has been our friends from ND. Time and again, we have seen them attack early, weigh us down with fouls, score at the line at high %ages, and limit the use of our roster late in the game. How many games have we seen Steph attacked early to create 2 fouls & limit her minutes?
I really missed alignments in 2013 having UConn's usual "talented, fast, fearless, left-handed, driving guard" available. With BBanks injured, that one element, that Geno usually provides, was missing. And with it, we had less of the foul creation possibilities.

sTu

Reaction Score
It would be very beneficial if Chong showed improvement throughout the season. With Banks coming off an injury, the backcourt is subject to the most turmoil if another injury occurs there.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
As others have noted. Getting to the line is the most important area. It not only is about getting the FTs it is, also, about putting your opponent in foul trouble and that can reap huge benefits.
We simply need to hire Dick Fosbury away from Notre Dame's double secret underground coaching staff.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Last year UConn's worst statistical ranking was in 3 point FG defense. They were 77th (of 343 teams). I suspect that if the coaches decided to emphasize defending the 3 the number would have been much better. The other two categories with room for improvement were steals (40th) and turnovers (46th). Again, I think that those last two stats are probably skewed because UConn usually eases off on defense once their opponent is down by 30-40 points.

In the 18 team categories rated by the NCAA the team ranked in the single digits in all but 6 of them. FG shooting percentage (18th) was actually pretty good but the team could get to the line more. ND actually made more (661 of 828) FTs than UConn attempted (451 of 590).

Reaction Score
... Probably with the exception of KML, I would like to see less reliance on 3 point shooting ...
Not me! I want to see MORE three point shooting, especially when Chong is on the court. UConn can drive teams batty trying to defend the trey, which is just the condition we need to free up Stef and Kiah to stuff the easy shots in close up.

FREE THE POSTS !!!!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
IMHO the area I would like to see the most improvement is in rebounding. Last year there was no one ranked in the Top 25o. I realize minutes per game contributes to this stat. However, Stef should be able to average close to double digits in rebounding with her superior size in most games. If she wants to have a long WNBA career she'll have to improve her rebounding.
Granted Dolson should improve her rebounding, but unfortunately she is not a great rebounder and never will be. Double digits? Nah, that's not happening. In UCONN's history they've only had a handful who have had a double digit season, Walsh, Bursuk, Najaran and Lobo (being the last).

Wolters, Williams, Charles, Cash, Elliott, Jones, JMoore, MMoore, Schumaker, Bascom, none of them ever did that.

Probably with the exception of KML, I would like to see less reliance on 3 point shooting.
Doubt that. They might even increase 3 pt shooting this year. I think Stewart, Hartley, Jefferson, Tuck might increase their 3 pt attempts. Add in Chong...... should be lot's of 3 pt shooting this year.

HGN

Reaction Score
I think its FT's that we need to improve upon the most.....As much as we will be fouled especially in the paint , we need to improve our FT percentage. If we can raise our percentage to the mid 70's , wins will be a lot easier. Just look at the 3 ND games . ND made their FT's and kept the games close and won in the end.

Reaction Score
Watch out for Bria Hartley this coming year. Now that she is completely healthy I am looking for her to really turn it up several notches. We have not seen Bria at her best the last 2 years. I could see her start to turn it around this summer for Sheri Coale and USA basketball. She will get in your shirt defensively. You can tell she wants to exceed on defense. I look for her to pick up a lot of the perimeter slack that Kelly left us with. She knows all the schemes, and I look for her to really be a leader this year.

On offense she has never been one to shy away from contact. Watch how she will challenge the defensive player on the break. Ilove the way she takes it to the hole only to pull-up and take the short jumper! You cannot stop it. If Bria improves her outside / 3 pt shot, I look for her to be an All American candidate BIGTIME !

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Watch out for Bria Hartley this coming year. Now that she is completely healthy I am looking for her to really turn it up several notches. We have not seen Bria at her best the last 2 years. I could see her start to turn it around this summer for Sheri Coale and USA basketball. She will get in your shirt defensively. You can tell she wants to exceed on defense. I look for her to pick up a lot of the perimeter slack that Kelly left us with. She knows all the schemes, and I look for her to really be a leader this year.

On offense she has never been one to shy away from contact. Watch how she will challenge the defensive player on the break. Ilove the way she takes it to the hole only to pull-up and take the short jumper! You cannot stop it. If Bria improves her outside / 3 pt shot, I look for her to be an All American candidate BIGTIME !

Slimmer, I'm with you on this one!!

She was highlighted in my three point improvement post. She can hit 40% and if she does, All-American is in her future. Again.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I think its FT's that we need to improve upon the most.....As much as we will be fouled especially in the paint , we need to improve our FT percentage. If we can raise our percentage to the mid 70's , wins will be a lot easier. Just look at the 3 ND games . ND made their FT's and kept the games close and won in the end.
Our FT% was well into the mid 70s last year and almost 80% for the first 5 last year. The foul shooting in the ND games is more indicative of the pressure of those games than the foul shooting. UCONN does need to continue to develop its play under pressure or else outrun the pressure by winning EVERY game by 20 points. But that would be bad for the women's game.

Reaction Score
Bria will be fine especially if she can control her feet a little better and avoid those travelling call.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom