Where can UConn improve the most? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Where can UConn improve the most?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
penetration and kick-out by the guards. seems to me this has always been lacking in their offense .

Reaction Score
Depth. We had to bring in a an athlete from the track team just to scrimmage 5 on 5.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
penetration and kick-out by the guards. seems to me this has always been lacking in their offense .
That's because we run Stef in the high post and that isn't likely to change. Penetration and kick outs are run through her.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Most teams who rely on their three point shooting, die by them when the shots aren't falling. Look at Louisville. IMHO team would be better off getting open 2 point shots where the majority of the returning players are shooting near 50% and some greater. I have no problem with taking three's as long as its in the flow of the offense. Get the ball down low where the higher percentage of made shots should happen and also it will draw fouls on the opposing players. I have no problem with KML shooing her 3's and if Chong is able to hit a high percentage of them why not take them. Team doesn't need Morgan taking threes. UConn Stats - Link

Not me! I want to see MORE three point shooting, especially when Chong is on the court. UConn can drive teams batty trying to defend the trey, which is just the condition we need to free up Stef and Kiah to stuff the easy shots in close up.

FREE THE POSTS !!!!

Reaction Score
That's because we run Stef in the high post and that isn't likely to change. Penetration and kick outs are run through her.
i understand that. but she's not always in the high post, nor is she always in the game. i just think that dribble-drive-kickout has not , of recent years( or maybe ever), been a strength, either because of personnel, or philosophy. at every level i think it's common, and effective. with the 3 point shooters on this team, i'd like to see as much done as possible to get them open looks.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
It is philosophy. Geno has regularly recruited post players who are excellent passers out of the high post. It, also, facilitates a good pick and roll game and UCONN's history of back door cuts.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
It, also, brings the posts up where they can be effective setting screens. When UCONN slashers attack the basket it is often off the high pick turning down the lane. Other than that our guards attacking the hoop usually occurs in transition. Morgan brings a willingness to attack the hoop from the high post off the bounce but still plays out of that position. I expect her passing out of the post and Stewie's to improve significantly just like Stef did as their understanding of the offense increases this season. When you play a big like Stef in the high post like UCONN it, also, brings the post defender up not leaving a lot of room to attack from the top with guards slashing. Attacks frequently move to the baseline or the diagonals. Think how often we have seen Kelly attack on the baseline from the corner.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Of course, it really depends on what defines the balance of the previous season. If you measure UConn based on the last six games, I don't think you can say UConn needs to improve a thing. However, UConn had four losses to its discredit heading into that tourney, and the reasons for that could be characterized characterized by others by UConn's proclivity to gut-punching lossses in close games. In short, if you think there was anything to that, UCOnn's room for improvement is mental. The Huskies must deliver the big plays down the stretch when the game is on the line. FT shooting has been mentioned. Of course, that cost UConn in 3OT in UConn-ND II. It could be about increasing the number of players who can deliver. IN UCOnn-ND I, part of the problem was that KML was the kid who UConn needed to make a play, but she was banged up a bit. Who else was going to? The early performance against Baylor was terrific, but you sensed folding like a cheap suit once Baylor started going on a run.

In short, no snatching defeat from the jaws of victory this year. UConn's redemption was sweet in Storrs, Bridgeport, and New Orleans- as sweet as it gets. We can only hope for the Connecticut Chainsaw Massacre to happen from November to April this time.

Reaction Score
Passing. I saw a ton of ill advised passes last year. Lots of lazy cross court passes that got intercepted or went OB & even more passes into the post that bounced off shins and ankles. The 2 best passers were Dolson and Faris. Others need to improve. I hope it was simply due to all the 1st and 2nd year players.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Most teams who rely on their three point shooting, die by them when the shots aren't falling. Look at Louisville. IMHO team would be better off getting open 2 point shots where the majority of the returning players are shooting near 50% and some greater. I have no problem with taking three's as long as its in the flow of the offense. Get the ball down low where the higher percentage of made shots should happen and also it will draw fouls on the opposing players. I have no problem with KML shooing her 3's and if Chong is able to hit a high percentage of them why not take them. Team doesn't need Morgan taking threes. UConn Stats - Link
Then UConn must have died a lot more than 4 times last year, because they took 170 more 3-pt FGAs than the Cardinals last year. Don't be fooled by one historic game against Baylor. The Cards were not heave-happy bombers last year and only took 25 or more 3s four times last year, winning three of the games, so they more often lived than died by them, and they averaged 18 3-FGAs a game to UConn's 22. UConn took more than twenty 3s in 27 of their 39 games and passed the 25 mark 9 times. The Cards' offense was built around driving in for layups and racking up the foul shot attempts, although their FTA totals were still more than a hundred less than ND's obscenely bloated total.

And in answer to the OP question, UConn can improve in being the tops in more statistical categories. Last year they had the highest scoring offense and best scoring margin, but in many past years they have led in five or six categories nationally. The problem on the defensive stats is that decent little teams like Hampton play a very controlled slow-down game that keeps the points down. UConn should play all these miserly little teams and hang 100 points on them to blow up their defensive scoring totals. And if UConn had scored 1 more basket against Stanford last year, they would have won the defensive FG% title.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Farris was never ever defended on the perimeter. This year they will be more gifted on the offense and perimeter I think. Without being able to double down elsewhere, we may and I think will become a bigger offensive juggernaut than last year. And Tuck is a natural 3 pt shooter that did not show great success at it last year. If that strength emerges like I think it will, man are they going to be able to spread the floor even more. This years team will be impossible to defend! And will lead to more penetration and many more easy hoops under and wide open kick out threes. There is no reason to think this won't be one of the greatest teams we have ever had- IMHO! Depth at guard play is our Achilles heal I think.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Farris was never ever defended on the perimeter. This year they will be more gifted on the offense and perimeter I think. Without being able to double down elsewhere, we may and I think will become a bigger offensive juggernaut than last year. And Tuck is a natural 3 pt shooter that did not show great success at it last year. If that strength emerges like I think it will, man are they going to be able to spread the floor even more. This years team will be impossible to defend! And will lead to more penetration and many more easy hoops under and wide open kick out threes. There is no reason to think this won't be one of the greatest teams we have ever had- IMHO! Depth at guard play is our Achilles heal I think.
Farris defended Skylar Diggins all over the court including on the perimeter. She did the same for other wings and 2s which are perimeter players.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

Who has more depth than Uconn at guard. As long as Banks can play 20+ minutes and Chong can contribute as a freshman, they have as good a four guard rotation as anyone.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Farris defended Skylar Diggins all over the court including on the perimeter. She did the same for other wings and 2s which are perimeter players.
Try again ice, you misread it. :rolleyes:

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
"Farris was never ever defended on the perimeter."

If it was sarcasm I missed it.

Reaction Score
Alexrgct makes a good point about our mental improvement. The best thing that could have happened to us was last year's ups and downs, and then finally winning the NCAA title. This was good for all the girls, but especially true for the Frosh. Remember Stewie losing her confidence and her starting position. Then, with the help of Geno she figured it all out. JUST PLAY, DON'T THINK !
Just in time too ! You know all the losses to ND had all the girls thinking, "What do we have to do to beat these guys"? Well the girls kept pushing and they figured it all out. We stuck it to ND, and it wasn't even close. Overall, everything that went down last year will add confidence, and the MENTAL STRENGTH to deal with this years ups and downs.

How many times have I heard Geno say, "You'll know when to cut"! Ice said Geno loves centers who can pass. (In so many words anyway) It is a weapon most teams do not have. Stef's backdoor bounce pass is a thing of beauty. By far, to me anyway, she is the best passing center in WCBB.
The backdoor cut is not our whole offense, it's another option to keep opposing teams guessing.

Last year I saw us drive and kick out for the 3 a lot. How many times did we see Caroline, Bria, and Kelly kick out to the wing or key. It did not hurt Kaleena's stats one bit.

This is a nice thread, and everyone has good opinions. Sounds like everyone is as ready as I for the season to start. Anyone know when the first TV game is !

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
"Farris was never ever defended on the perimeter."

If it was sarcasm I missed it.
Faris defending someone on the perimeter and Faris being defended by someone on the perimeter are two entirely different things. I don't believe any sarcasm was intended.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Faris defending someone on the perimeter and Faris being defended by someone on the perimeter are two entirely different things. I don't believe any sarcasm was intended.
I see it now thanks, I missed the WAS, small word big import. Actually, last year teams did defend Kelly on the perimeter as the season went on. Kelly was a killer and as they came out she often went baseline on the drive to the hoop.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
A commitment from a certain Southern California recruit would help the cause.
Same with S. Carolina. When was the last time we played in S. Carolina? :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22