When was the last time Cal developed an player? | The Boneyard

When was the last time Cal developed an player?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
just curious becuase everytime your hear a recruit talk about going to kentucky they mention rose, wall, davis, etc. those kids were going to be lottery picks before leaving high school. Who has he developed that made it into the first to round or lottery?

Reaction Score
just curious becuase everytime your hear a recruit talk about going to kentucky they mention rose, wall, davis, etc. those kids were going to be lottery picks before leaving high school. Who has he developed that made it into the first to round or lottery?
Doesn't matter to those kids because in their minds they don't need development.

Reaction Score
Hard to say, maybe Poythress because he has been there so long. You would have to say someone at Memphis, maybe Douglas-Roberts. He doesn't develop too much now it seems like, he showcases them and is really good at that.

Reaction Score
Hard to say, maybe Poythress because he has been there so long. You would have to say someone at Memphis, maybe Douglas-Roberts. He doesn't develop too much now it seems like, he showcases them and is really good at that.
This. The squid is the ultimate salesman, not a coach. A top 25 recruit goes to Kentucky, he showcases them on the highest stage and promotes the hell out of them. Its not about development as much as it is exposure. The basketball program at Kentucky reminds me a lot like Goldman Sachs. People on the street are often quick to criticize in large part because they know they would never get hired. My guess is that if Goldman Sachs did offer a job, even the most critical would accept it. Same with Kentucky. Its easy for us to dismiss now, but my guess is if you are a top 25 kid and Kentucky offered, it would be a different story.

Besides, whats the opposite of development? The Harrison's would have been drafted higher out of high school.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I tell you who he didn't, one of many, Marcus Lee. Kid has wasted his talents there as far as I'm concerned.

I wonder if Lee and Dakahri Johnson regret going to UK. Lee would be an animal playing 32+ minutes per game at any other blueblood program in America.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
I tell you who he didn't, one of many, Marcus Lee. Kid has wasted his talents there as far as I'm concerned.

The fact that that kid hasn't transferred yet blows my mind.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
I heard he refurbished a player piano in his garage once.

Reaction Score
So does anyone else think that the pipeline they've been on the past years will maybe dry up a little bit? I felt like a number of guys sticking around last year led to quite a log-jam this year, and the #1 draft pick on most boards didnt average a double double because he played somewhat limited minutes.

At a certain point, shouldn't these 5star recruits be thinking... maybe I shouldn't commit to Kentucky so early, because for all I know they will have a starting 5 come back that doesnt include me, and I wont be as featured as I would if I were to go to say USC or LSU?

I'm kind of surprised we don't see more of these top kids go to an underdog program where they can put up gaudy scoring numbers being the one main offensive weapon and be a bit over-valued in the draft based on what they produced in college. Taking your team to a tournament and winning a couple of games as the underdog gets you on the media's tongue

Reaction Score
Good point, what is more important media exposure or draft dollars? NBA scouts do a good job of scouting everybody despite what ESPN jams down their throat.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
So does anyone else think that the pipeline they've been on the past years will maybe dry up a little bit? I felt like a number of guys sticking around last year led to quite a log-jam this year, and the #1 draft pick on most boards didnt average a double double because he played somewhat limited minutes.

At a certain point, shouldn't these 5star recruits be thinking... maybe I shouldn't commit to Kentucky so early, because for all I know they will have a starting 5 come back that doesnt include me, and I wont be as featured as I would if I were to go to say USC or LSU?

I'm kind of surprised we don't see more of these top kids go to an underdog program where they can put up gaudy scoring numbers being the one main offensive weapon and be a bit over-valued in the draft based on what they produced in college. Taking your team to a tournament and winning a couple of games as the underdog gets you on the media's tongue
I heard the names Willie Caulie-Stein, Karl Anthony Towns, and Andrew/Aaron Harrison this year more than I've taken breaths of air.

Reaction Score

Cal will be in the NBA before he stops dominating the recruiting.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
WCS has developed. He wasn't NBA ready. Now he is NBA ready.

Reaction Score

Yes he has completely wasted his talent. Top 30 recruit playing less than 15 minutes per game. If he played at UConn, he'd probably play 30 MPG and average 12 and 8. Big mistake by going to UK.

Reaction Score
Cal will be in the NBA before he stops dominating the recruiting.

He's far from NBA ready. He was a no factor against Wisconsin. Guys in the NBA are 10x as talented and athletic than the players of Wisconsin. Cauley-Stein will be in the D-League or playing overseas by next summer.

Reaction Score
He's far from NBA ready. He was a no factor against Wisconsin. Guys in the NBA are 10x as talented and athletic than the players of Wisconsin. Cauley-Stein will be in the D-League or playing overseas by next summer.
WTF are you talking about?

Cal is a coach, he does not play

Reaction Score
This. The squid is the ultimate salesman, not a coach. A top 25 recruit goes to Kentucky, he showcases them on the highest stage and promotes the hell out of them. Its not about development as much as it is exposure. The basketball program at Kentucky reminds me a lot like Goldman Sachs. People on the street are often quick to criticize in large part because they know they would never get hired. My guess is that if Goldman Sachs did offer a job, even the most critical would accept it. Same with Kentucky. Its easy for us to dismiss now, but my guess is if you are a top 25 kid and Kentucky offered, it would be a different story.

Besides, whats the opposite of development? The Harrison's would have been drafted higher out of high school.

So a coach doesn't get players to play unselfishly together and buy in defensively?

Reaction Score

Not a chance. Did you see him run down the Notre Dame kid and contest the shot in the corner? He will definitely stay in the NBA as a Tyson Chandler / Birdman type player.

Reaction Score
I heard the names Willie Caulie-Stein, Karl Anthony Towns, and Andrew/Aaron Harrison this year more than I've taken breaths of air.

sure, but only one of them is a freshman. I'm thinking of all the freshmen other than Towns. Lyles was talked about enough for sure, but were there any other 1-and-done hopefuls on that roster? I know Ulis was more of a rare 3-4 year player for him, very smart by Cal. If theres one position you want to have some stability from year to year with, its the point guard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom