When the history of Big East Basketball is written.... | Page 8 | The Boneyard

When the history of Big East Basketball is written....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
He scored 36 against UCLA (Elite 8) who was the best team in a while in 95, not sure what leading is???? Not winning isn't necessarily "not leading"!!

Great performance, but he wasn't a "leader" in that game. He was the talented kid with a hot hand in an epic track meet of a game. But I have to admit I'm wary going down this path. Ray was awesome his entire career. I loved watching him play, he gave UConn cache they never had before. It's just that as a UConn fan that endured a long series of gut-punch losses going back to the 1974 NIT semis, I'm putting the guys that led us to the promised land over the guys that didn't on my all-time great list.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Scrubs? We played the mighty DePaul!
Leitao never should have left that job.

The road not taken. They loved him there. He would have become an icon. Didn't he have the legendary Sammy Mejia coming in when he left? Now he's working for Haith?

Reaction Score
Scrubs? We played the mighty DePaul!
Leitao never should have left that job.

I was actually at that game. Of course it was in Buffalo down the block from me.

Reaction Score
I should add one thing: even though UConn had a cakewalk in 2004, it goes to show that the way the tourney is set up for you matters a lot.

UConn typically gets sent out west. It doesn't get the advantages of a Syracuse playing all its games in NY and NJ. It doesn't get the advantage of Duke somehow being considered a northeastern team. And UConn also ends up--inordinately--taking on the eventual national champion in the 3rd or 4th round, leaving fans to guess what would have been if UConn had only defeated UNC, UCLA, or Maryland.

So many tough F8 games for UConn over the years.

Naturally, once in a blue moon, the stars will align and you'll get an easier road.

Reaction Score
Enjoyed this thread and chuckled at the Syracuse fan's efforts to prop up their porgram above UConn. I divide the BE history into 2 distinct categories 1979-1989 and 1990-present. Syracuse was not the dominant team during either period.

1979-89 - This was the birth of the BE and the "glory" years where the BE and ESPN used each other to grow at a tremendous rate. Syracuse and the "Dome" were a major part of this and UConn was pretty bad for quite a while. However, Syracuse was nowhere near a dominant BE team during that period. 'Cuse had zero elite 8 appearances from 79-87, but made the finals in 87 and the Elite 8 in 89. During that time period G'town made 6 Elite 8s, 3 Final Fours and won a National Chanpionship. Frankly, Villanova with 4 Elite 8s, a Final 4 and Championship during that decade has much more to brag about than 'Cuse. The highlights for the BE in those years were three Final 4 teams in 1985 (none were Syracuse), the Ewing/Mourning years at Georgetown, the 'Nova Championship in 1985. In fact, Providence, Seton Hall and St. John's have as many final 4 appearances in the 79-89 decade as Syracuse. Yes, there are some great regular season and conference tourney battles that involved Syracuse, but as far as being the "face of the BE" during that period it is undoutedly John Thompson and Georgetown.

1990-Present - This could be called the Calhoun era, but that is being a bit sarcastic. However, UConn was certainly a standout team during this period followed by Syracuse and a few others. The Conference title and Conference Tourney titles have been mentioned previously, so I will focus on the NCAAs UConn has 13 Sweet 16s, 9 Elite 8s, 4 Final 4s and 3 National Championships. Just looking at those numbers, it means UConn was 9-4 in Sweet 16 games, 4-5 in Elite 8, 3-1 in Final 4, and 3-0 in Championship games

Lets breakdown Syracuse's tournament record since they have been in the BE - 15 Sweet 16s, 5 Elite 8s, 3 Final 4s and 1 Championship. The records are as follows - 5-10 in the Sweet 16, 3-2 in Elite 8, 3-0 in Final 4s, and 1-2 in Chapmionship games. The 5-10 record in Sweet 16 games just screams of dissappointment. Additionally, since 1990 Syracuse has only made it to 3 Elite 8s. Think about that......the 'Cuse fans argue that they are the top BE team and they have only been to 3 Elite 8s in 22 years vs UConn's 9 Elite 8s in the same time period.

Syracuse can brag that they have been the most consistant team in the BE since the leagues inception in 1979. That is not a bad thing, and leads to Jim B. having his 900+ wins. I nominate Syracuse as the Craig Biggio of the Big East.

Reaction Score
Enjoyed this thread and chuckled at the Syracuse fan's efforts to prop up their porgram above UConn. I divide the BE history into 2 distinct categories 1979-1989 and 1990-present. Syracuse was not the dominant team during either period.

1979-89 - This was the birth of the BE and the "glory" years where the BE and ESPN used each other to grow at a tremendous rate. Syracuse and the "Dome" were a major part of this and UConn was pretty bad for quite a while. However, Syracuse was nowhere near a dominant BE team during that period. 'Cuse had zero elite 8 appearances from 79-87, but made the finals in 87 and the Elite 8 in 89. During that time period G'town made 6 Elite 8s, 3 Final Fours and won 2 National Chanpionships. Frankly, Villanova with 4 Elite 8s, a Final 4 and Championship during that decade has much more to brag about than 'Cuse. The highlights for the BE in those years were three Final 4 teams in 1985 (none were Syracuse), the Ewing/Mourning years at Georgetown, the 'Nova Championship in 1985. In fact, Providence, Seton Hall and St. John's have as many final 4 appearances in the 79-89 decade as Syracuse. Yes, there are some great regular season and conference tourney battles that involved Syracuse, but as far as being the "face of the BE" during that period it is undoutedly John Thompson and Georgetown.

When did they win 2 National Championships?

Reaction Score
When did they win 2 National Championships?

Corrected, Still hard to believe those teams only won the title once. I guess the losses are so memorable (Nova and the Freddie Brown pass) that it feels like they should have won another.

Reaction Score
Corrected, Still hard to believe those teams only won the title once. I guess the losses are so memorable (Nova and the Freddie Brown pass) that it feels like they should have won another.

But still much better than Syracuse

Reaction Score
Your post is one big headache. Yes, 2004 was a cakewalk. Alabama was the best team they faced in the first 4 rounds, and Alabama was not very good. Playing an 8 seed in the Finals is a cakewalk too. But why is that relevant? Are you talking about 2011? Butler gave about as much resistance as G'Tech. But prior to that UCon faced 3 of the best teams in the tourney.

Face it, the O4 team played scrubs until Duke. There's just no other way to cut it,

Haha headache is my style. All I'm saying is you could say all 3 championships were cakewalks. The best teams Uconn played in 99, 04 and 11 is Dook 99 and Dook 04 then a huge gap to whoever you think is 3rd. When the brackets for 11 were announced I was giddy because I liked how we matched up against every team in the region.

Reaction Score
Haha headache is my style. All I'm saying is you could say all 3 championships were cakewalks. The best teams Uconn played in 99, 04 and 11 is Dook 99 and Dook 04 then a huge gap to whoever you think is 3rd. When the brackets for 11 were announced I was giddy because I liked how we matched up against every team in the region.

I can't agree with this. Don't think there was a huge gap between Ohio St. 99 and Duke and UConn that year. Agree about 04. But I think 11 Kentucky and Arizona were two of the top 4 teams in the country, and UConn went through them.

Ask yourself this question: which teams were better than Zona and Kentucky? You can't say 1 seed Duke, North Carolina and Ohio State. Those teams lost to the teams UConn beat. I really think UConn went through the best teams in 11. It went through 2 of the best in 1999, and faced 1 of the best in 2004.

Reaction Score
I can't agree with this. Don't think there was a huge gap between Ohio St. 99 and Duke and UConn that year. Agree about 04. But I think 11 Kentucky and Arizona were two of the top 4 teams in the country, and UConn went through them.

Ask yourself this question: which teams were better than Zona and Kentucky? You can't say 1 seed Duke, North Carolina and Ohio State. Those teams lost to the teams UConn beat. I really think UConn went through the best teams in 11. It went through 2 of the best in 1999, and faced 1 of the best in 2004.

I'll concede Zona and Kentucky were two of the better teams in the tournament, but that's because there were no great teams, just a bunch of good to very good teams. If the tourny was played out 10 times it wouldn't shock me if 10 different teams won it. Even though Kansas flopped, I think they were probably the best team that year. It's a 1 game crap shoot (hello 2006) where anything can happen. I also don't see how Kentucky is automatically better than OSU just because they beat them in 1 game. Ville beat us twice that year but we won the BE and NCAA titles. We beat Cuse twice in 03. 11 definitely had more quality teams to run through, but didn't have to play a great team to win it all like 99 and 04.

I will give this to the 11 team...they did have to play SDSU really high above sea level which can not be understated :)

Reaction Score
I'll concede Zona and Kentucky were two of the better teams in the tournament, but that's because there were no great teams, just a bunch of good to very good teams. If the tourny was played out 10 times it wouldn't shock me if 10 different teams won it. Even though Kansas flopped, I think they were probably the best team that year. It's a 1 game crap shoot (hello 2006) where anything can happen. I also don't see how Kentucky is automatically better than OSU just because they beat them in 1 game. Ville beat us twice that year but we won the BE and NCAA titles. We beat Cuse twice in 03. 11 definitely had more quality teams to run through, but didn't have to play a great team to win it all like 99 and 04.

I will give this to the 11 team...they did have to play SDSU really high above sea level which can not be understated :)

One thing to remember, UConn took on all comers in the OOC, and didn't lose.

These are the tourney teams it beat: Wichita St., Michigan St., Kentucky, Harvard, #1 Texas, Tennessee. Add to those the 11 games in the row to end the year. It's OOC and BET record was 23-0. Big East regular season: 9-9. I was saying this repeatedly during the year, but Kemba was simply not getting the foul calls in the BE that he was getting in the OOC games. The BE refs were allowing teams to hack Kemba like crazy, and that impacted his shooting % (obviously, when you're hacked, shoot and miss). This was also the reason why Kemba didn't win BE Player of the Year (and why one coach didn't even vote him on the 1st team, which is laughable).

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
One thing to remember, UConn took on all comers in the OOC, and didn't lose.

These are the tourney teams it beat: Wichita St., ....

Just for the record, Wichita didn't make the dance. They probably would have if they beat us. But they choked and I still think they're steaming about it.

Reaction Score
Just for the record, Wichita didn't make the dance. They probably would have if they beat us. But they choked and I still think they're steaming about it.

Wow, that team looked good to me, and they were ranked. Surprised to see they didn't make it, not that I was paying attention to them.

Reaction Score
cuse are 28-1 in their last 29 big east games, no team has ever had a run like that. they also have the most wins and highest winning % in big east history.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359257983.831020.jpg

Reaction Score
Hope they didn't start printing those "36-2" shirts. I'm guessing they had to burn the "We're #1" shirts on campus after the loss in Philly!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom