When Paige Goes Does Geno Go | The Boneyard

When Paige Goes Does Geno Go

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
A question explored in the video below. I disagree with much of it, but it's late July and there is little to have fun with, SO

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I think it depends. If UConn wins a couple of NC's with Buecker, then he might decide to go when she goes.

Reaction Score
NO! The only way Geno retires is when he passes Tara Van Devere in wins. He has a much better win percentage than Tara, but not the most wins in BB history. That's my take. GO GENO!!! GO HUSKIES!!!! Actually, I hope he never retires while I am alive and in 11 days I will be 90!

Reaction Score
I don’t think so! He’s worked too hard on the recruiting side these past few years and has assembled an incredible array of talent! (with more apparently on the way) I think, assuming he stays healthy, he will want to take advantage of that and try to push that title record to 13-15 over the next six years! That’s my story and I’m sticking to it!!!:)

Reaction Score
NO! The only way Geno retires is when he passes Tara Van Devere in wins. He has a much better win percentage than Tara, but not the most wins in BB history. That's my take. GO GENO!!! GO HUSKIES!!!! Actually, I hope he never retires while I am alive and in 11 days I will be 90!
I am 81, hope I can reach 90. As I tell my son, “OLD GUYS RULE“ and I have tee shirts that agree with me.

Reaction Score
I doubt Geno cares about that stuff. He'll be 70 this season, and you don't want to end up in a Boeheim situation.

Reaction Score
I think Geno coaches as long as he is healthy and keep a quality product on the floor. Doubt there is a time frame anytime soon unless he feels that burned out (which does happen to coaches eventually towards the end of their careers).

Geno has nothing left to prove. Him and Summitt have resumes which likely won't ever able to be replicated between national titles, final four appearances, conference titles, players in pros and overall winning. But I suspect he will continue to coach until the day where he feels like he doesn't have the energy to do it anymore.

There are quite a few coaches who coach into mid to late 70s. Coach Blair at A&M called it when he was 76 last year but he seemed a little burned out towards the end and things sort of fell off which made for the perfect time for retirement for him.

Reaction Score
I think what's most important to Geno is that when he leaves, UConn is still achieving excellence (winning games, recruiting top talent , etc.). Leave the program when its on top and in good shape going forward. So, having a transition plan will be something he probably will focus on.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
In an interview some years ago Geno frightened a number of by saying it was likely he'd just wake up one morning and realize it was time.

Reaction Score
I think Geno is hanging around right now hoping to keep the program going until UConn gets into a power type conference. UConn in the Big East without Geno is the worst possible scenario. At that point UConn basically becomes St John’s, Seton Hall or Providence.

Reaction Score
It seems like there have been a thousand threads over the years devoted to speculation on when Geno hangs it up. He is now of an age when retirement isn't some far off in the future thing. I wouldn't be surprised if he is still coaching at 75 but doubt he will be at 80.

The thing with Geno is that not only does he have an unparalleled coaching career but he also has name recognition most in women's basketball can only dream of and to top it off has a great personality and gift of gab that translates well to media work. And he knows like everybody in the basketball world, mens and womens. There are going to be many opportunities for him post retirement that are lucrative and interesting. If he wants to make a mark (and bucks) in something after he retires I doubt he'll want to make the transition much after his 75th birthday.

Reaction Score
I doubt Geno cares about that stuff. He'll be 70 this season, and you don't want to end up in a Boeheim situation.
Sorry to disagree, but 70 is not that old and I'm living proof. I have a Muffler shop in SC and I have been here 38 years , working 6 days a week , 51 weeks a year. Been in the Muffler business 48 years.Geno does not look impaired, senile and difficult in his movement. What he still has is his temper and passion for the team and UCONN.

Reaction Score
I lost the post before I was finished. To complete what I was saying, that's all Geno needs to keep going. When and if he loses that passion and doesn't get mad any more, then he should retire. As I said in a previous post, I hope he doesn't while I'm alive. A coach like Geno, only comes once in a lifetime and he is mine. GO GENO!!! GO HUSKIES!!!!

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Sorry to disagree, but 70 is not that old and I'm living proof. I have a Muffler shop in SC and I have been here 38 years , working 6 days a week , 51 weeks a year. Been in the Muffler business 48 years.Geno does not look impaired, senile and difficult in his movement. What he still has is his temper and passion for the team and UCONN.
Where's your shop? Upstate??

Reaction Score
Like others have stated, I can see Coach G going for a few more years as coach. Like any of us, when we lose that passion for whatever we are doing and that job is no longer fun and you dread going to work, that is when you know it is time to call it quits. Coach Geno is the same way. When the coaching game is no longer fun, he will walk away. I see at least 4-5 more years of Coach stalking the sidelines.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Geno will retire when CD wants to retire. They are a pair.
Agreed. They talk throughout the year. They're both very comfortable presently. In a recent artical, DC said she was happy with the status quo. When Geno was out of commission for a week or two during the height of the pandemic, upon his return, he said he was miserable just sitting at home with nothing to do. So based on that experience, he said he has no plans to retire any time soon. I agree, they are a pair. They came in together, they'll leave together. :cool:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Like others have stated, I can see Coach G going for a few more years as coach. Like any of us, when we lose that passion for whatever we are doing and that job is no longer fun and you dread going to work, that is when you know it is time to call it quits. Coach Geno is the same way. When the coaching game is no longer fun, he will walk away. I see at least 4-5 more years of Coach stalking the sidelines.
I couldn't agree more. As a retiree, I had to make that decision. I mulled it over for a couple of years before I actually decided to pull the plug. When the time came, I knew it. I've never regretted that decision for one minute, and never looked back. Retirement is great!!! Everyday is Saturday. When it's time, you'll know it. :cool:

Reaction Score
I couldn't agree more. As a retiree, I had to make that decision. I mulled it over for a couple of years before I actually decided to pull the plug. When the time came, I knew it. I've never regretted that decision for one minute, and never looked back. Retirement is great!!! Everyday is Saturday. When it's time, you'll know it. :cool:
I was waiting for you to weigh in on this one, because you're the only qualified seer among us.

I also never looked back after retirement, even though I enjoyed my work immensely. I actually had two retirements -- one from the Air Force and one from my civilian job. I recall, at my Air Force retirement ceremony, saying "retirement is great; it's retiring -- that's the tough part." One of my greatest joys in retired life is watching Geno and his gals. Long may it last!

Reaction Score
The current crop of freshmen and those who have committed seem to be Geno's kind of recruits so poor player attitudes won't be the reason for his retirement.........I think perhaps he'll quit if he wins another couple of championships but only one person knows and he's not saying.....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom