When did you know? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

When did you know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Once Miami knocked off Texas. The thought of a home crowd like MSU in 09 (plus a potentially healthy Disu) was the only thing I could see stopping the party.

Reaction Score
I believed after Iona, and I knew when Chreighton and Marquette were eliminated.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Phil Knight Tournament for me.
Same, I honestly told everyone I knew since November we had the type of team make up that could win it all which is why all of the frustrating losses later on in the season made me rip my limited hair out and post some salty stuff during game chats. I didn’t think we would mop the floor with anyone in our path in the tourney, however.

Reaction Score
In 2013-2014 they started 12-1 with only loss by 2 to Stanford and only had 8 losses total. Yet you never felt it - even during the NCAAs? Must be KO hate syndrome
I completely underestimated how good Bazz was - I was spoiled by Kemba a few years earlier, and he never seemed close to Kemba in my mind. And during the NCAA’s - I just kept expecting them to finally lose. Don’t get me wrong, I watched them, but that’s the one title team that I will tell you I’d be bullshitting if I said I thought they could go through Iowa state and Michigan state. Florida was obviously possible, but I still look back at that team as overachievers.

Reaction Score
Once Miami knocked off Texas. The thought of a home crowd like MSU in 09 (plus a potentially healthy Disu) was the only thing I could see stopping the party.
It's interesting you say that along with others. I saw that Miami-Houston game and then the Miami-Texas game. I didn't think UConn caught any break even with Houston and Texas having a home court advantage so to speak. Especially after the Houston game, I kept thinking and was concerned how UConn would handle Miami. Miami's offense and their unconventional style scared the hell out of me.

Reaction Score
Yes that exa
Lol the best part of that realization is that you can't actually say it out loud. You just kind of think it to yourself. [Holy sh.it, we could win this whole thing!]
Yes, that is exactly it. I did not want to say it out loud or to write it b/c was afraid to jinx us. In fact when I thought about it I thought quietly.

Reaction Score
After we won the PKI for me. It’s a running joke that I talk about UConn too much from recruiting to previous seasons with my friends and family. My brother even included something about it in his best man speech in 2019, joking that “they’ll be back…. someday” which caught a laugh in the crowd. This past season was so fun bc my wife met me after the 2015 season and just had no idea what I would be like with a tournament run

Reaction Score
It's interesting you say that along with others. I saw that Miami-Houston game and then the Miami-Texas game. I didn't think UConn caught any break even with Houston and Texas having a home court advantage so to speak. Especially after the Houston game, I kept thinking and was concerned how UConn would handle Miami. Miami's offense and their unconventional style scared the hell out of me.
I get that. I just saw how much UConn struggled in true road games and wanted to avoid anything like one at all costs. Neutral court, I would’ve taken them against anyone the way they were playing.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Couple of add ons.

After PK in Oregon and rest of non-conference I knew they could win it all.

Even with their NCAA seeding I wasn’t worried. After first round win and Pitino's comments I was confident every game going forward.

Reaction Score
Believed in the team after their run through the PK tournament. I had doubts in January, but still believed they could turn it around. I was nervous during the first half of the first round game. I was a little nervous as well, until Ducas went down in the St. Mary's game.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I think it was Arkansas for me.

This

The way they played down the stretch was encouraging. I was hopeful, but the dismantling of Arkansas reeled me in

Championship was a real possibility

Reaction Score
Had to be the second weekend. When Arkansas and Gonzaga couldn’t even sniff us, the final four was an after thought. In a single elimination tournament, the best team doesn’t always cut down the nets. This year, the best team in the country surely did! The way we closed out the year, there wasn’t a team in America that would come close.

Reaction Score
I knew we could win it all after bending over the PK

I knew we would (and this is the real point of the thread that I can tell people are missing) at half with Gonzaga. The same way I felt after we beat Nova in 2014

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
I'm not sure when I knew, but I was pretty confident after the Arkansas game.

Time to update my avatar from Kemba to 2023 UConn........ now.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I’d say Arkansas too.

Had way too much fun talking smack to all the SDSU fans in my section.

Made sure they all knew that the last time the guy whose jersey they were wearing (Kawhi) played for them they lost to us. Terrible mojo!

Reaction Score
So Providence on $2 Beer Night, I felt that this team was deep into the return to form at the right time. Started saying the only team that can beat us is ourselves.

I wasn’t deterred by the Marquette game at MSG because I knew they were also very good and we played most the game without Andre etc.

Lead up to the tourney from Bracket Sunday on, I got worried because a TON of media talking heads liked us. Jay Bilas scared the poop out of me.

But being in Albany, down at the half to Iona and not being worried, I knew it was ours. And they matched what I felt in the 2nd Half and didnt look back.

Reaction Score
Ah yes the Harrison twin massacre. Most satisfying win over UK/Squid of the two in the tourney. Watching their hyped backcourt absolutely terrorized by Bazz and Boat was beautiful.
That massacre was doubly fun as it seemed like a formality once we got by Florida. Everyone spent every second after the brackets came out talking about how strong Florida was and how our regular season game - which was ended dramatically by Bass I believe - was a lucky win at home on our part and couldn’t be replicated. Beautiful

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
and, with the exception of the Kentucky game, every game after we beat St Joe's the talking heads would say "they're facing an opponent that may be playing the best basketball in the tournament. This will end UConn's run".

Sick Puppy

Remember, you wanted this.
Reaction Score
When I saw Coach Calhoun talk to the team, I knew they were winning it all. They just seemed like all business. Like they knew.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I'm obviously a pessimist when it comes to UConn basketball. I was sure when Hawkins hit the three to go up 8 with just around 5 minutes left. That's when I turned to my wife and said "We got this."

Reaction Score
I'm obviously a pessimist when it comes to UConn basketball. I was sure when Hawkins hit the three to go up 8 with just around 5 minutes left. That's when I turned to my wife and said "We got this."
You're an optimist, I waited 'till we went back up 12 with Newton's 4 points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom