When Azzi is healthy, she will become UConn's most important player | The Boneyard

When Azzi is healthy, she will become UConn's most important player

Reaction Score
We've all seen what a healthy Paige Bueckers can do per her unprecedented freshman year. Up until her injury, she looked just as good (minus the odd 3 point shooting) She just doesn't have consistent perimeter help

The seniors are what they are at this point and should honestly focus more on continuing to play good defense. UConn's woes this season haven't been on the defensive end, it's executing on offense when they need it most. Jeff Walz said it best when he mentioned that we just don't have enough shooters to keep the defense from cheating.

Here's where Azzi comes in. I've read a few comments on how she hasn't proved herself or made a significant impact. I agree that she hasn't been able to showcase what she can do. But she's the real deal and the only player on the roster who can turn Paige into a pass first point guard. Her presence on the floor alone is going to help with the offensive spacing (more driving lanes for Christyn, spacing for the posts and drawing the defense away from Paige when she returns)

Coaches and teams alike know not to give her ANY space. South Carolina was on her like white on rice as soon as she checked into the game. Pretty sure Dawn told Zia "Don't even let her touch it." Because if she manages to put ANY sort of shot up, it could go in no matter what. She's been hampered with injuries since her sophomore year from her ACL, MCL, foot, you name it. That definitely has impacted her aggressiveness and rightfully so. But once she gets healthy and aggressive, she will be UConn's most dangerous threat to score from the perimeter/most important player looking ahead at the NCAA tournament.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Based on what I have seen, Paige is a mix of Sue / DT while Azzi looks at the moment like KML
Sure Azzi may be alot better and their are alot of BY testimonials who have seen her live at the HS level but she needs to show it at UConn.

So in your assumed experiment, which missing player hurts the team more, Paige by a wide margin. I am ready to revisit annually.

Reaction Score
According to you, Fudd has been hampered by injuries, serious injuries, for 3+ years but she is going to get “healthy and aggressive” for the NCAA tournament? All this while currently sitting out? Is that fair or incredible wishful thinking?
The only positive performance she has had was when Fernandez decided to not play her like “white on rice” and let her take essentially unopposed 3 pointers. Defensively to date, she has shown an inability to cover at this level.
I am rooting for the young lady to recover physically and show off her skills not affected by her seemingly recurring injuries but I would think a touch of reality is required here.

Brewski

To infinity and beyond!
Reaction Score
The bottom line is we don't have enough information yet to conclude that is the incredible all-around play PB is at this point in her career. We know Fudd can shoot the 3, and she will make a huge impact on our offense when she's back. But she's gonna need to do much more than that to put in the same class as PB. I can't wait to see what Fudd can do, and if she's half as good as Paige, she'll be one of the best basketball players in the country.

Reaction Score
Welcome to the Boneyard. I hope you are right and that Azzi will become the player we had all hoped to see. I am confident that with Paige‘s competitive drive that when she returns to the court she will be what she was before her injury - the best player in women’s college basketball.

Reaction Score
We've all seen what a healthy Paige Bueckers can do per her unprecedented freshman year. Up until her injury, she looked just as good (minus the odd 3 point shooting) She just doesn't have consistent perimeter help

The seniors are what they are at this point and should honestly focus more on continuing to play good defense. UConn's woes this season haven't been on the defensive end, it's executing on offense when they need it most. Jeff Walz said it best when he mentioned that we just don't have enough shooters to keep the defense from cheating.

Here's where Azzi comes in. I've read a few comments on how she hasn't proved herself or made a significant impact. I agree that she hasn't been able to showcase what she can do. But she's the real deal and the only player on the roster who can turn Paige into a pass first point guard. Her presence on the floor alone is going to help with the offensive spacing (more driving lanes for Christyn, spacing for the posts and drawing the defense away from Paige when she returns)

Coaches and teams alike know not to give her ANY space. South Carolina was on her like white on rice as soon as she checked into the game. Pretty sure Dawn told Zia "Don't even let her touch it." Because if she manages to put ANY sort of shot up, it could go in no matter what. She's been hampered with injuries since her sophomore year from her ACL, MCL, foot, you name it. That definitely has impacted her aggressiveness and rightfully so. But once she gets healthy and aggressive, she will be UConn's most dangerous threat to score from the perimeter/most important player looking ahead at the NCAA tournament.
I don't know if you are totally correct on AZZI we've only seen her in a couple of games (one great). But the pre-Uconn Azzi had 3 years of hype. She was terrific in HS, does that carry over to College? One great game? Maybe and I hope it was a precursor to things to come.
Offense, wins games. We too often have seen good Defense from Uconn but absolutely not positive Offense. That great D didn''t win their games. With Paige in the games, some defense and Paige Offense won the games. Emphasis on making 90 percent of all Layups could win MOST of Uconn games. Great basketball players play great basketball and SCORE. Uconn greats always scored big.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
According to you, Fudd has been hampered by injuries, serious injuries, for 3+ years but she is going to get “healthy and aggressive” for the NCAA tournament? All this while currently sitting out? Is that fair or incredible wishful thinking?
The only positive performance she has had was when Fernandez decided to not play her like “white on rice” and let her take essentially unopposed 3 pointers. Defensively to date, she has shown an inability to cover at this level.
I am rooting for the young lady to recover physically and show off her skills not affected by her seemingly recurring injuries but I would think a touch of reality is required here.
I prefer "brown on rice" it's healthier. I agree, she needs more than one game to show what she can do. However, at this point in our "depression" we need all the good words we can get to make us believe we can still have a SEASON.

Reaction Score
I prefer "brown on rice" it's healthier. I agree, she needs more than one game to show what she can do. However, at this point in our "depression" we need all the good words we can get to make us believe we can still have a SEASON.
I am too old and seen too much to need or want that kind of “reassurance”, but that’s just me.

Reaction Score
I don't know if you are totally correct on AZZI we've only seen her in a couple of games (one great). But the pre-Uconn Azzi had 3 years of hype. She was terrific in HS, does that carry over to College? One great game? Maybe and I hope , it was a precursor to things to come.
Offense, wins games. We too often have seen good Defense from Uconn but absolutely not positive Offense. That great D didn''t win their games. With Paige in the games, some defense and Paige Offense won the games. Emphasis on making 90 percent of all Layups could win MOST of Uconn games. Great basketball players play great basketball and SCORE. Uconn greats always scored big.
IMO, THE GREATEST Uconn and WBB player, Diana Taurasi, averaged 15.0 points a game in her college career; her most salient stat was the 139-8 W/L record Uconn had during her four years, not her scoring. There are all kinds of ways to win, not just one.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
IMO, THE GREATEST Uconn and WBB player, Diana Taurasi, averaged 15.0 points a game in her college career; her most salient stat was the 139-8 W/L record Uconn had during her four years, not her scoring. There are all kinds of ways to win, not just one.
Many fans here equate points with great. Low scoring game? Horrible game and vice versa. How soon people have forgotten one of the best to come through UConn, Kelly Faris. She didn’t score much but she affected a game more than most gunners could.

Geno doesn’t crank out good shooters, he develops good basketball players. Two entirely different things.

Reaction Score
I think the more correct title should be: When Azzi is healthy, will she become UConn's most important player?
I agree and I think the answer is no. Paige is most important, but we desperately need another point guard in her absence. EW can't be expected to play the whole game. Short term we need Nika first if only one returns.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I don't know if you are totally correct on AZZI we've only seen her in a couple of games (one great). But the pre-Uconn Azzi had 3 years of hype. She was terrific in HS, does that carry over to College? One great game? Maybe and I hope it was a precursor to things to come.
Actually under Geno, defense wins games and historically the offense determines by how much. But obviously if you can’t put the ball in the basket more than the other team - really rare in Geno’s tenure- you lose.

My only reaction to Azzi was she isn’t as quick as I imagined but then her foot issues were revealed. We have pretty much zero information on how she will perform if totally healthy. Paige makes Christyn more dangerous (she isn’t quite as unproductive as some see her, and if Azzi is 90% of her reputation, that also helps Christyn along with everyone else. Hopefully we will soon get a better picture of Azzi.

ETA: Griffin missing doesn’t help on our D.

Reaction Score

I think everyone hopes you are right. But she hasn’t shown yet she is able to be that player at the college level. I say that as a big fan of Azzi.

Because you put Azzi in your pseudo, my first reaction is to dismiss your comments as coming from someone incapable of trying to give objective analysis. But I’ll make an effort to be open to what you say. Welcome to the BY.

Reaction Score
Many fans here equate points with great. Low scoring game? Horrible game and vice versa. How soon people have forgotten one of the best to come through UConn, Kelly Faris. She didn’t score much but she affected a game more than most gunners could.

Geno doesn’t crank out good shooters, he develops good basketball players. Two entirely different things.
very true but how many times this season have we heard Geno lament in post-game press conferences after loses that this team simply can't score enough points to win........I would suggest that if Azzi had been healthy UConn wins two of those games.....

Reaction Score
I tend to agree Azzi will be and should a very important piece on offense. I just hope that she realizes she can play through mistakes so she needs to keep shooting and keep learning on the court CD. I think once she can play through her nerves and get more comfortable in the system we will have 3 very good shooters on the team in Paige, CD and Azzi. If Evina can play up to her potential I think she can be good shooter and around 35% 3 pt shooter. That gives 4 competent shooters, which will allow the guards to find the bigs in better position to score.

Reaction Score

The most revealing line in your post was the first one. Yes, we’ve all seen what Paige Bueckers has done and like a great blue-chip stock, will continue to pay dividends on an ongoing basis. For now, Azzi is like a widely hyped IPO. Speculation will drive the price to unprecedented heights, but only results will determine the true worth.
Everything written or suggested about Azzi is based on her potential to be great. Will it materialize? I certainly hope so. Will she be equal to Paige? I certainly hope so.
If and when Paige returns, she is UConn’s best and best offensive weapon. At some point, Azzi may justify all the hype. For now, I’ll continue to hold onto my blue-chip asset.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I mentioned in a post last year that Azzi looked slow on defense and offense and got some negative feedback from some BYers. I had just watched a video of her playing against high school players, and she was coming off an injury. I believe she will reach her potential if she can get completely healed. Is she any slower than KML was as a freshman?

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Uh...I guess you haven't noticed that Paige iS a "pass first point guard". And as long as she is here and healthy, she will be our most important player.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I mentioned in a post last year that Azzi looked slow on defense and offense and got some negative feedback from some BYers. I had just watched a video of her playing against high school players, and she was coming off an injury. I believe she will reach her potential if she can get completely healed. Is she any slower than KML was as a freshman?
not too many UConn players as slow as KML but not too many could flat out shoot like that either.........for me that comparison is Azzi's worst case scenario........if she can get back to even 80% of her former fitness, she should offer a more complete game than KML........

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
At this time Azzi is an unknown, last full season in HS 2018-19, then major ACL MCL knee injury. We all want her to be the player she was pre injury. Let's be patient.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom