When Azzi is healthy, she will become UConn's most important player | Page 2 | The Boneyard

When Azzi is healthy, she will become UConn's most important player

Reaction Score
Actually under Geno, defense wins games and historically the offense determines by how much. But obviously if you can’t put the ball in the basket more than the other team - really rare in Geno’s tenure- you lose.

My only reaction to Azzi was she isn’t as quick as I imagined but then her foot issues were revealed. We have pretty much zero information on how she will perform if totally healthy. Paige makes Christyn more dangerous (she isn’t quite as unproductive as some see her, and if Azzi is 90% of her reputation, that also helps Christyn along with everyone else. Hopefully we will soon get a better picture of Azzi.

ETA: Griffin missing doesn’t help on our D.
The one game Stewie lost in her final 3 years was because of the defense not being able to make stops. That's why Kia Nurse became a starter the next game.
Good defense can always turn into offense creating easier shots.

Reaction Score
I think everyone hopes you are right. But she hasn’t shown yet she is able to be that player at the college level. I say that as a big fan of Azzi.

Because you put Azzi in your pseudo, my first reaction is to dismiss your comments as coming from someone incapable of trying to give objective analysis. But I’ll make an effort to be open to what you say. Welcome to the BY.
So I guess we should doubt any comment made by a UConn fan simply because they are biased by their fandom "and incapable of trying to give an objective analysis"??? :rolleyes: :)

Reaction Score
I hope this foot injury heals successfully but it's been with her since USA basketball last year. She has been hobbled with this for a while now. I have seen her change her game a lot also. Almost no pop up jumpers now.

Reaction Score
She has to play better defense, but she knows that and it is her main focus for improvement.

Bur, even from her brief court time, it is clear that the hype of her magnificent shot mechanics is true, she is definitely going to be a scorer.

And she seems very confident and well-paced with the ball. None of the frenetic behavior common to many really good UConn guards in the past.

She is too fundamentally sound on the court and as a shooter for that not to show itself with more playing time. If healthy, she will be a game-changer by the end of the season.

Reaction Score
We've all seen what a healthy Paige Bueckers can do per her unprecedented freshman year. Up until her injury, she looked just as good (minus the odd 3 point shooting) She just doesn't have consistent perimeter help

The seniors are what they are at this point and should honestly focus more on continuing to play good defense. UConn's woes this season haven't been on the defensive end, it's executing on offense when they need it most. Jeff Walz said it best when he mentioned that we just don't have enough shooters to keep the defense from cheating.

Here's where Azzi comes in. I've read a few comments on how she hasn't proved herself or made a significant impact. I agree that she hasn't been able to showcase what she can do. But she's the real deal and the only player on the roster who can turn Paige into a pass first point guard. Her presence on the floor alone is going to help with the offensive spacing (more driving lanes for Christyn, spacing for the posts and drawing the defense away from Paige when she returns)

Coaches and teams alike know not to give her ANY space. South Carolina was on her like white on rice as soon as she checked into the game. Pretty sure Dawn told Zia "Don't even let her touch it." Because if she manages to put ANY sort of shot up, it could go in no matter what. She's been hampered with injuries since her sophomore year from her ACL, MCL, foot, you name it. That definitely has impacted her aggressiveness and rightfully so. But once she gets healthy and aggressive, she will be UConn's most dangerous threat to score from the perimeter/most important player looking ahead at the NCAA tournament.
Azzi has experienced horrific knee injuries and long rehabs that have tested her resolve. She completes those and then injures her foot. She should not push any injuries, but be fully well, BEFORE going back out there. Same for all the injured players.

Reaction Score
Not sure where this incessant need for Azzi to be better than Paige comes from? Paige is the best player I’ve seen since Dee, Maya, Stewie! She could stand with those three right now (minus the titles)! I won’t say Azzi will never be as good as Paige but for now there is simply no comparison! Hopefully, she (Azzi) just needs to get healthy and will then be able to live up to some of the hype we have been hearing for the past couple of years. I truly hope so! I truly hope she makes Paige pale in comparison and becomes the GOAT! I must say though, imo that is very unlikely. What are the odds that you would have two transcendental/generational players in consecutive years come to the same school?

Reaction Score
I would wait on the speculation in respect to Fudd. She was very good in High School, but she is coming off an injury so we do not really know what effect it might have on her. While her situation is entirely different from Williams, it can still be a lesson in counting ones chickens before the hatch. With Williams it was transferable talent to the college level, but with Fudd it is possibly injury effects related- either chronic or residual. Most ACL's due to advances in medicine do not carry over long term negative affects, but there are always exceptions. Waiting and being cautious in regards to speculation does nothing to affect the ultimate results. Jumping the gun in such matters , however, can lead to disappointment.

Reaction Score
Not sure where this incessant need for Azzi to be better than Paige comes from? Paige is the best player I’ve seen since Dee, Maya, Stewie! She could stand with those three right now (minus the titles)! I won’t say Azzi will never be as good as Paige but for now there is simply no comparison! Hopefully, she (Azzi) just needs to get healthy and will then be able to live up to some of the hype we have been hearing for the past couple of years. I truly hope so! I truly hope she makes Paige pale in comparison and becomes the GOAT! I must say though, imo that is very unlikely. What are the odds that you would have two transcendental/generational players in consecutive years come to the same school?

I knew how good Bueckers was 3 years ago and didn't need her to prove a thing but many needed to see her do it in college. And 2 years ago there was a legit debate over whether Bueckers or Fudd was the better player. That debate was real. There was no hype! That's how good she was at that point. And she was competing against all the current college juniors and sophomores and beat them all out for the NPOY award. Since then she has had an ACL injury and dropped a dumbell on her foot last summer. (I don't see how the foot injury has anything to do with coming back too soon?)
I accept that some need to see it with their own eyes. But wanting both Bueckers and Fudd shut down whether or not they are healed and able to play is being over-cautious. Both players have been surrounded by outstanding trainers for years. Both of them have goals beyond UConn and are mature enough to see the big picture.

I hope they both play ASAP and I'll let Bueckers & Fudd and their medical staff decide when that is.

Reaction Score
So I guess we should doubt any comment made by a UConn fan simply because they are biased by their fandom "and incapable of trying to give an objective analysis"??? :rolleyes: :)
Hello Alydar and HuskyNan. That’s not what I said. I wish you both a happy new year.

Reaction Score
According to you, Fudd has been hampered by injuries, serious injuries, for 3+ years but she is going to get “healthy and aggressive” for the NCAA tournament? All this while currently sitting out? Is that fair or incredible wishful thinking?
The only positive performance she has had was when Fernandez decided to not play her like “white on rice” and let her take essentially unopposed 3 pointers. Defensively to date, she has shown an inability to cover at this level.
I am rooting for the young lady to recover physically and show off her skills not affected by her seemingly recurring injuries but I would think a touch of reality is required here.
You're valid and I can't defeat your logic. The previous data just doesn't support my the thesis in reality. I'm such a big fan of your posts too. Thanks for your honest take

Reaction Score
Uh...I guess you haven't noticed that Paige iS a "pass first point guard". And as long as she is here and healthy, she will be our most important player.
I don't think Geno wants her to pass to anyone when she's in the game. He wants her to shoot that thing until her hands fall off. And I would too because that's the only thing I would trust. Passing to Azzi gives her reprieve from shooting so much because it is the second most consistent chance at putting points on the board.

Reaction Score
The one game Stewie lost in her final 3 years was because of the defense not being able to make stops. That's why Kia Nurse became a starter the next game.
Good defense can always turn into offense creating easier shots.
I thought that too then I look at Uconn offensively in the fourth quarter and that's been the only difference in games. 4th quarter offensive production and UConn is undefeated.

Reaction Score
I knew how good Bueckers was 3 years ago and didn't need her to prove a thing but many needed to see her do it in college. And 2 years ago there was a legit debate over whether Bueckers or Fudd was the better player. That debate was real. There was no hype! That's how good she was at that point. And she was competing against all the current college juniors and sophomores and beat them all out for the NPOY award. Since then she has had an ACL injury and dropped a dumbell on her foot last summer. (I don't see how the foot injury has anything to do with coming back too soon?)
I accept that some need to see it with their own eyes. But wanting both Bueckers and Fudd shut down whether or not they are healed and able to play is being over-cautious. Both players have been surrounded by outstanding trainers for years. Both of them have goals beyond UConn and are mature enough to see the big picture.

I hope they both play ASAP and I'll let Bueckers & Fudd and their medical staff decide when that is.
Fudd is the only prospect that has as much or more hype than Paige and that's all I'm saying. We saw how the latter panned out. The best guard anyone has seen since Ionescu.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
You're valid and I can't defeat your logic. The previous data just doesn't support my the thesis in reality. I'm such a big fan of your posts too. Thanks for your honest take

What just happened? Someone on the internet was wrong and nice at the same time. Very confusing.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I don't think Geno wants her to pass to anyone when she's in the game. He wants her to shoot that thing until her hands fall off. And I would too because that's the only thing I would trust. Passing to Azzi gives her reprieve from shooting so much because it is the second most consistent chance at putting points on the board.
I think Geno's shoot first until her arm falls off is really meant for the 1st Q where Paige is often trying very hard to distribute to everyone before herself and sometimes leads to really non aggressive starts. As Geno said, first get your 20 points, draw the defense to you (more than usual) and than feed everyone else. Paige often does it in the opposite order.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I am shocked by this notion that when Azzi returns she is the most important Husky. She has done nothing to earn that accolade, not that she might be capable of having a run at that. Why don't we have her come back and carry a top 10 win with Paige having an off night; you now only 17 points, 4 assists, 6 rebounds, 2 steals. That would be a start. Paige has earned her place at the head of the line and it will take a monumental effort to dethrone her.

sun

Reaction Score
I am shocked by this notion that when Azzi returns she is the most important Husky. She has done nothing to earn that accolade, not that she might be capable of having a run at that.
Azzi hit 6 out of 9 three pointers in a span of 27 minutes playing against USF.
That is hardly nothing.
It seems that some folks get their panties in a bunch whenever Azzi's name is mentioned as being the top ranked freshmen, and an important piece of our team puzzle.
We had Paige last year and we still lost the FF.
Now we have some upgrades and some folks still don't want to trust Azzi.
She showed a flash of brilliance yet some folks don't want to believe or remember it.

Last edited:

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
How about we bury this "who's better" or "whose more important." It's getting a little annoying.

Basketball is team sport in case some of you forgot. Five players on the court, working together to win the game. Does it really matter who scores the most points?

Too many posters championing their favorite player over the team and in the process questioning Geno and his staff on their coaching acumen.

We have 8 healthy players and four injured. Let's focus on supporting and rooting for those 8 who are doing their best to compete, as frustrating as that will be for many. Keep praying our wounded heal and can return to the court.

I am a UConn women's fan since 1994 when I first caught a game on CPTV. I remain a UConn fan thru the good and the bad.

Now I will retire to return another day.

Reaction Score
We've all seen what a healthy Paige Bueckers can do per her unprecedented freshman year. Up until her injury, she looked just as good (minus the odd 3 point shooting) She just doesn't have consistent perimeter help

The seniors are what they are at this point and should honestly focus more on continuing to play good defense. UConn's woes this season haven't been on the defensive end, it's executing on offense when they need it most. Jeff Walz said it best when he mentioned that we just don't have enough shooters to keep the defense from cheating.

Here's where Azzi comes in. I've read a few comments on how she hasn't proved herself or made a significant impact. I agree that she hasn't been able to showcase what she can do. But she's the real deal and the only player on the roster who can turn Paige into a pass first point guard. Her presence on the floor alone is going to help with the offensive spacing (more driving lanes for Christyn, spacing for the posts and drawing the defense away from Paige when she returns)

Coaches and teams alike know not to give her ANY space. South Carolina was on her like white on rice as soon as she checked into the game. Pretty sure Dawn told Zia "Don't even let her touch it." Because if she manages to put ANY sort of shot up, it could go in no matter what. She's been hampered with injuries since her sophomore year from her ACL, MCL, foot, you name it. That definitely has impacted her aggressiveness and rightfully so. But once she gets healthy and aggressive, she will be UConn's most dangerous threat to score from the perimeter/most important player looking ahead at the NCAA tournament.
Hello AzzisBraids. I made the following comment about your post.

« Because you put Azzi in your pseudo, my first reaction is to dismiss your comments as coming from someone incapable of trying to give objective analysis. But I’ll make an effort to be open to what you say. Welcome to the BY. »

I want to be clear. I was telling you honestly what crossed my mind. But if anything I was criticizing my own reaction, not you, and that’s why I said I would make an effort to be open to what you say. I apologize for my poorly worded response.

You should feel comfortable posting whatever you want, regardless of your pseudo and even if someone disagrees with you, as I did.

As for my own presence on this board, I’m a longtime reader and a recent poster. I’m a big fan of UConn WBB. I find a lot of useful information and interesting commentary here. But I also find the negativity and sarcasm of some people to be unpleasant, and I’ve decided this will be my last post. I’m going back to being just a reader.

As we say in my country, merci à tous et bonne continuation.

sun

Reaction Score
How about we bury this "who's better" or "whose more important." It's getting a little annoying.

Basketball is team sport in case some of you forgot. Five players on the court, working together to win the game. Does it really matter who scores the most points?

Too many posters championing their favorite player over the team and in the process questioning Geno and his staff on their coaching acumen.

We have 8 healthy players and four injured. Let's focus on supporting and rooting for those 8 who are doing their best to compete, as frustrating as that will be for many. Keep praying our wounded heal and can return to the court.

I am a UConn women's fan since 1994 when I first caught a game on CPTV. I remain a UConn fan thru the good and the bad.

Okay.
But what is a huskeynut?
Are you sure that you're not a huskynut?
I can't find h-u-s-k-e-y in the dictionary.
I read that this forum allows folks to change their screen name.
Best of luck with either way that you decide to spell it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't know if you are totally correct on AZZI we've only seen her in a couple of games (one great). But the pre-Uconn Azzi had 3 years of hype. She was terrific in HS, does that carry over to College? One great game? Maybe and I hope it was a precursor to things to come.
Offense, wins games. We too often have seen good Defense from Uconn but absolutely not positive Offense. That great D didn''t win their games. With Paige in the games, some defense and Paige Offense won the games. Emphasis on making 90 percent of all Layups could win MOST of Uconn games. Great basketball players play great basketball and SCORE. Uconn greats always scored big.
Kind of a silly question. We haven't even seen her play. The little court time she got was belabored, due to injury. She had a big reputation from HS. We all know that. But who knows?

Reaction Score
Kind of a silly question. We haven't even seen her play. The little court time she got was belabored, due to injury. She had a big reputation from HS. We all know that. But who knows?
She played one great game. A game that showed her HS scoring was not a fluke. POTENTIAL, we saw. AZZI, I am speaking about. Caroline had a few very good games, I think her GREAT game is still to be seen. I understand your reluctance. Over the years highly touted Freshmen, with loads of clippings of press releases, become superb bench sitters. That isn't, as of now, true of AZZI or Caroline. My belief is Very good Basketball players know how to play and if they were scorers they don't forget the motion--I've been wrong, but generally that has been true. AZZI, I'd put my money on, if I were a betting person. Only Geno know, if anyone does and he is protecting his investments.

Reaction Score

I agree 5 players are on ever Basketball team. But 5 players don't make a team. Many teams have 1,2,3 outstanding players and as we have seen this year, Uconn's 1,2,3 top players sitting dismantled UConn "team" at least the one that win's Championships. There is no ME in TEAM, my words to my team. But I had standouts that without them we won nothing. Even GENO doesn't win 30 games/year without those players like ONO, CW, Edwards, Paige, Nika all hitting on all 5 cylinders every game all the time. Personally, I like to think TEAM really means 12 or 15 players on the roster but truth--which is disgusting--says, key players make it a winner.
Me too, I was here with the field house. (near my lab) (highlighted area above)

Reaction Score
I am shocked by this notion that when Azzi returns she is the most important Husky. She has done nothing to earn that accolade, not that she might be capable of having a run at that. Why don't we have her come back and carry a top 10 win with Paige having an off night; you now only 17 points, 4 assists, 6 rebounds, 2 steals. That would be a start. Paige has earned her place at the head of the line and it will take a monumental effort to dethrone her.
You saw her (AZZI) Potential in her one 18 point game on 6 or 9 shooting. The average to better freshman doesn't do that. Now, Rocky, I'm fairly certain some of this is tongue in cheek but I truly believe, because I'm a fan, that AZZI will fill up those Stats you define above, if she ever returns fully healthy. This is not now nor ever should it be a competition between friends (you and me) or Paige and AZZI. Records are meant to be broken.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom