When Azzi is healthy, she will become UConn's most important player | Page 3 | The Boneyard

When Azzi is healthy, she will become UConn's most important player

Reaction Score
Azzi hit 6 out of 9 three pointers in a span of 27 minutes playing against USF.
That is hardly nothing.
It seems that some folks get their panties in a bunch whenever Azzi's name is mentioned as being the top ranked freshmen, and an important piece of our team puzzle.
We had Paige last year and we still lost the FF.
Now we have some upgrades and some folks still don't want to trust Azzi.
She showed a flash of brilliance yet some folks don't want to believe or remember it.
And it seems that some folks insist on screaming “Superstar” at the mention of her name. Speaking for myself I strictly go by what I see, not what someone tells me happened in the past. I never saw her play until this year, and I am convinced of nothing except she can shoot if left alone but we all know there is so much more to the game than that.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
We know she is already good. Now, I wish her the best of health so she can continue to improve and be a star at the next level.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
You saw her (AZZI) Potential in her one 18 point game on 6 or 9 shooting. The average to better freshman doesn't do that. Now, Rocky, I'm fairly certain some of this is tongue in cheek but I truly believe, because I'm a fan, that AZZI will fill up those Stats you define above, if she ever returns fully healthy. This is not now nor ever should it be a competition between friends (you and me) or Paige and AZZI. Records are meant to be broken.
It may well be that Azzi will be a stat stuffer and I certainly hope she will be. But the notion that she comes back to supplant Paige is a very long shot. Why anyone would reach for that - any Husky fan - is beyond me.

Reaction Score
We've all seen what a healthy Paige Bueckers can do per her unprecedented freshman year. Up until her injury, she looked just as good (minus the odd 3 point shooting) She just doesn't have consistent perimeter help

The seniors are what they are at this point and should honestly focus more on continuing to play good defense. UConn's woes this season haven't been on the defensive end, it's executing on offense when they need it most. Jeff Walz said it best when he mentioned that we just don't have enough shooters to keep the defense from cheating.

Here's where Azzi comes in. But she's the real deal and the only player on the roster who can turn Paige into a pass first point guard. Her presence on the floor alone is going to help with the offensive spacing (more driving lanes for Christyn, spacing for the posts and drawing the defense away from Paige when she returns)

South Carolina was on her like white on rice as soon as she checked into the game. Pretty sure Dawn told Zia "Don't even let her touch it."
I've been mentioning after the last two losses that this team needs Fudd. You cite the reasons but imo there needs to be context. Fudd has to get open (and get off her shot effectively/not being rushed/not change her shot directory etc.) for her to realize her potential That is still a question. You spoke of South Carolina being on her so tightly/ "don't let her touch it." But if she is as elite as you say and we all hope, then South Carolina won’t be able to stop her from touching it. Superstar perimeter players if they are superstars don't get denied that often from touching the ball when they want it.

As far as the bold, there is no way you want Paige to be only a pass first point guard. She came to UCONN to expand her game as well. You also want her talents to be rise to be as complete as she can be. If Paige is extremely efficient at scoring (the best in wcbb) then why can't they both score rather than turning one of them to be "pass first?" The more alternatives you have in which players are very efficient (with Paige being last year's best), then the better that is.

Reaction Score
I am shocked by this notion that when Azzi returns she is the most important Husky. She has done nothing to earn that accolade, not that she might be capable of having a run at that. Why don't we have her come back and carry a top 10 win with Paige having an off night; you now only 17 points, 4 assists, 6 rebounds, 2 steals. That would be a start. Paige has earned her place at the head of the line and it will take a monumental effort to dethrone her.

You make sense. That also made sense last year when I was convinced about what Bueckers would do. Now I admit that I haven't watched anywhere near the games I saw Bueckers but the people who saw Bueckers and agreed with me about her transcendence were saying the same was true of Fudd and what I did see confirmed that. I said a year and a half ago that UConn was doubly blessed getting 2 players of that level at the same time. So far COVID and injury has screwed things up but I am still convinced.

Reaction Score
And it seems that some folks insist on screaming “Superstar” at the mention of her name. Speaking for myself I strictly go by what I see, not what someone tells me happened in the past. I never saw her play until this year, and I am convinced of nothing except she can shoot if left alone but we all know there is so much more to the game than that.

Those who have been watching Fudd & Bueckers for years have seen and believe.
Rewatch the USF game. Fudd needs half a second to get her shot off and several of hers that day display that talent.

Reaction Score
Azzi hit 6 out of 9 three pointers in a span of 27 minutes playing against USF.
That is hardly nothing.
It seems that some folks get their panties in a bunch whenever Azzi's name is mentioned as being the top ranked freshmen, and an important piece of our team puzzle.
We had Paige last year and we still lost the FF.
Now we have some upgrades and some folks still don't want to trust Azzi.
She showed a flash of brilliance yet some folks don't want to believe or remember it.
I doubt you could find anyone on the Boneyard who doesn’t hope Azzi makes Paige look like a division 2 player. I think what you are interpreting as dismissive is really just an understanding that players like Paige are extremely rare and in order for us to be convinced that Azzi is at that level we need to see more than one good game out of ?several. She’s had one decent game! That is certainly not enough (for me, anyway) to warrant comparisons to Paige! Now I realize you did not mention Paige in comparison with Azzi but many have been saying she is better than Paige so let’s just pump the brakes and give her a chance to show what she can do.

Reaction Score
I honestly just can't wait to see her get a lot of minutes. Similar to Dorka and CD, she never played that many minutes in the early going. I think through the first four games she was averaging less than 20 minutes a game. Add on top of that she's a freshman, who seems to put a lot of pressure on herself, and each of the four games (maybe minus Minnesota) were pretty high pressure games. First game of the season, tight game vs USF, and number 1 vs number 2. It will just be great for the team to get into a routine, and specifically Azzi to have a more carved out role. I do agree with what some have stated in that what we saw from her in her limited minutes was really similar to what we saw this summer in team usa. She mostly made the simple basketball plays and only took shots when she was open, which I really don't think is a terrible spot to be in. It only just makes you wonder about her shot creation and her aggressiveness moving forward. But she literally has years to improve and get better at those things. I really just want her to have the ball in her hands and have a breakout game to build some confidence. I don't think its unreasonable to think by the end of the year she can be a true difference maker.

Reaction Score
Those who have been watching Fudd & Bueckers for years have seen and believe.
Rewatch the USF game. Fudd needs half a second to get her shot off and several of hers that day display that talent.
I don’t need to rewatch. I saw her play four games and she shot well in one when left alone and did little else in any of them. You can tout her all you want, you are more than entitled to your opinion. I will form my own by what I see, not by what you say.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
we are who the back of our trading card sez we are.
ms fudd's back of the card sez, quite boldly,
'insufficient data thus far.'
no card ever has a 'high school data' entry when a player moves on to the next level.
this is not complicated.

Reaction Score
no card ever has a 'high school data' entry when a player moves on to the next level.
this is not complicated.

And the back of her card right now definitely shows that he is an outstanding college 3 point shooter. And for this year's team no one is close to her in this regard.

Reaction Score
And the back of her card right now definitely shows that he is an outstanding college 3 point shooter. And for this year's team no one is close to her in this regard.
Yeah, I always prefer my outstanding shooters to shoot well one game out of every three. The fact is, the jury is out on Fudd at the college level for any evaluator with a modicum of objectivity. Certainly injuries seemed to have played a part but there are many great players whose careers have been derailed or lessened by injuries.
My final word, I don’t think anyone is rooting against the young lady; I am certainly not.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I always prefer my outstanding shooters to shoot well one game out of every three. The fact is, the jury is out on Fudd at the college level for any evaluator with a modicum of objectivity. Certainly injuries seemed to have played a part but there are many great players whose careers have been derailed or lessened by injuries.
My final word, I don’t think anyone is rooting against the young lady; I am certainly not.
"Today" we'll hear from some posters that it is one games of 3. This is the stat you'll use and some others. That's fine. But if she shot well in 2 of the 3 in which the other games weren't a threat to lose I'm sure many will say "what good is it that she shoots well when UCONN doesn't need it?"

The fact is, the back of the card (which I was replying to) will state that right now Fudd is 8-18 from 3. Which is terrific.
And digging deeper the fact remains in the game which Azzi shot her best, UCONN was under great duress to lose, vs the others that she was able to play without being pulled for injury in which UCONN had no shot to lose.

Anyone with a modicum of objectivity cannot refute these facts. And as you say

"you are more than entitled to your opinion. I will form my own by what I see, not by what you say."

Reaction Score
this is not complicated.

I bet you were saying the same thing about Bueckers. To you a players' talent and skill cannot be judged until she plays in college. I usually adhere to that too. But some things are plain to anyone who looks.

Reaction Score
I bet you were saying the same thing about Bueckers. To you a players' talent and skill cannot be judged until she plays in college. I usually adhere to that too. But some things are plain to anyone who looks.
You have no idea what I said about Bueckers but feel free to fill in the blanks, obviously it’s your style. And for the record, I criticized Bueckers plenty, not for her ability, which she, unlike Fudd, showed from the git go, but for her refusal to listen to Auriemma last year and playing “her way.“ It cost them dearly IMO against Arizona, where they very much needed her to hunt shots.
And yes, as a player goes up each level, to me, they are an unknown until proven on the court. Again obviously, not for you and you are entitled to your view.

Reaction Score
You have no idea what I said about Bueckers but feel free to fill in the blanks, obviously it’s your style. And for the record, I criticized Bueckers plenty, not for her ability, which she, unlike Fudd, showed from the git go, but for her refusal to listen to Auriemma last year and playing “her way.“ It cost them dearly IMO against Arizona, where they very much needed her to hunt shots.
And yes, as a player goes up each level, to me, they are an unknown until proven on the court. Again obviously, not for you and you are entitled to your view.
Wasn't this you??????
"no card ever has a 'high school data' entry when a player moves on to the next level"
I thought that comment applied to all incoming freshmen including Bueckers but maybe I'm misreading what you wrote.
I was referring to incoming freshman Bueckers, not a healthy Bueckers after 10 college games. What was on her card then????

Reaction Score
I think the best way to describe it is that out of the 3 injured players beyond Paige, Azzi returning would be the most valuable. She can score the basketball, which is our biggest liability right now. She can shoot the 3 at a high level, which is another big liability right now.

Getting back Nika allows us to shift Evina back to her normal position, but is likely going to bog down our offense even more. Potentially same with Aubrey.

Azzi coming back will open the floor for us and allow us to have more of a rotation at the guard spot.

Reaction Score
if azzi can hit threes, and I think she can and will when she gets back, she will play. GA will then have to decide to either go small, or sit CW or EW. I hate the going small option and like the idea of reducing the minutes of CW and EW, who both are solid to pretty good players, but Azzi can be great and she can be great this year. The there is CD....for another discussion but she deserves minutes as well.

Problems with the above is defense. Neither Azzi or CD are particularly good at defense. Will they get better? I think they can but I still expect their defense to be an issue against better teams...think SC...

Reaction Score
I've been mentioning after the last two losses that this team needs Fudd. You cite the reasons but imo there needs to be context. Fudd has to get open (and get off her shot effectively/not being rushed/not change her shot directory etc.) for her to realize her potential That is still a question. You spoke of South Carolina being on her so tightly/ "don't let her touch it." But if she is as elite as you say and we all hope, then South Carolina won’t be able to stop her from touching it. Superstar perimeter players if they are superstars don't get denied that often from touching the ball when they want it.

As far as the bold, there is no way you want Paige to be only a pass first point guard. She came to UCONN to expand her game as well. You also want her talents to be rise to be as complete as she can be. If Paige is extremely efficient at scoring (the best in wcbb) then why can't they both score rather than turning one of them to be "pass first?" The more alternatives you have in which players are very efficient (with Paige being last year's best), then the better that is.
I agree with your context here. I think Paige needs more moments to make incredible passes. Azzi is the best threat outside Bueckers. Paige calls herself a pass first point guard, that not's me. A few moments per game when she can show how good of a passer she is, gets her going. Right now she is the most potent offensive weapon. But others need to step up because for her it's score first, defense second and score again.

Geno has went on record saying two players that when they touch it, they should shoot it. One is Paige (stated in the pre-season people want her to average 10 assists this season but he wants her averaging 30 points.)

And we know who the other one is per the USF postgame presser.

Reaction Score
I agree here, they picked on her on defense and she picked her moments but overall was a liability. I'd play zone until she figures it out but her shooting and spacing is so needed.

Reaction Score
I agree with your context here. I think Paige needs more moments to make incredible passes. Azzi is the best threat outside Bueckers. Paige calls herself a pass first point guard, that not's me. A few moments per game when she can show how good of a passer she is, gets her going. Right now she is the most potent offensive weapon. But others need to step up because for her it's score first, defense second and score again.

Geno has went on record saying two players that when they touch it, they should shoot it. One is Paige (stated in the pre-season people want her to average 10 assists this season but he wants her averaging 30 points.)

And we know who the other one is per the USF postgame presser.
He also said he wants her to shoot the ball. I don't recall as much that he wants her to pass the ball.

I realize what Paige had called herself. But Geno is trying to change that in her for the better so she can expand her game.

Reaction Score
She is injury prone for starters
Yes like an unknown ipo and unless you are in with underwriters there is a risk and unknown value of your investment.
Paige is a proven commodity like investing with Warren Buffett and Berkshire Hathaway.
But Azzi can be great but many factors are in her mix.

Reaction Score
He also said he wants her to shoot the ball. I don't recall as much that he wants her to pass the ball.

I realize what Paige had called herself. But Geno is trying to change that in her for the better so she can expand her game.

Geno's move of Bueckers from pg to sg was done because her passing was being wasted on players who have trouble making a layup. When your best passer and playmaker is also your best scorer what are you supposed to do? Bueckers best position is pg, with the ball in her hands. Mühl is better at pg than ONO/CW are as scorers.
It would be best if the seniors were better scorers but on the other hand, with Fudd and Ducharme seemingly capable of making baskets, the future is secure.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom