What's your prediction for the Big 12 expansion announcement? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

What's your prediction for the Big 12 expansion announcement?

What's your prediction for the Big 12 expansion announcement?

• Expand by 2 UConn included

• Expand by 2 without UConn

• Expand by 4 UConn included

• Expand by 4 without UConn

• Does not expand gets ESPN payoff

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I've changed my mind. I think Houston and Cincinnati are taken. We replace Houston with Rice, a quality school. But replacing Cincinnati is impossible. Marshall? Northern Illinois? Old Dominion? It gets so depressing. Maybe we just stay at 10.

OK, that's it. I've snapped. Nothing personal against you Redding...I enjoy your posts, but I cannot handle any more speculation about what's going to happen to the AAC after the defections, with us still rotting away in purgatory.

We're going to a P5 conference, somehow, some way, maybe not now, but eventually. No more!

No more defeatist thinking!

No more endless speculation about AAC leftovers.

No more endless pro and con metric analyses.

We are going to be in a P5 conference, damn it! I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired of this snow.

If we don't make it in this time, you and I and the rest of us who actually have to live and work in B12 country will be totally humiliated. Think about what it will be like having to deal with snickering co-workers, practical jokesters, and just plain mean people spending all of their time rubbing it in our faces. Also, I don't even want to think about what it will be like around here if UH gets in and we don't. I'd rather be dead than have to deal with that. Head bang

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
I read today that the B12 is a circus right now with realignment and that no decision will be made until after the season starts. This may be good for us. The biggest obstacle for us is weak football. The other main factor against us, geography, will be mitigated by a positive football perception. There is no way we stay in a G5 conference if we are considered even OK at football.

1. We are a flagship state university with excellent academics.
2. We have a tradition of winning in other sports, including the other big revenue sport.
3. We have a great media market and avid fans.
4. We have a great football coach who is recruiting HUGE players.
5. We have among the highest number of returning football players in the NCAA.

Add it up, and we will be better at football over the next few years. Once we reach the level of being consistently OK at football, we will find a landing spot in the P5. Even if the worst case scenario happens and they take Houston and Cincinnati (no way they go to 4 without us), we will play 4 rising football programs in UCF, USF, ECU, and Temple. If we consistently beat them and a few P5 out of conference schools every year, we will prevail.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Based on prior experience, I'm expecting something like this.

CjJSQwZXAAErzig.jpg

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I feel like as fans we have been putting major money down in the past with a 9 and an ace only to see the dealer (conferences) come up with two kings and an ace. This time we are holding, like, a 16 and just praying Memphis, who's sitting next to us, doesn't draw a six or less as they're sitting there with a 15.

After that long analogy, I guess I'm just saying I'm not optimistic.

Somebody in Storrs better be really good at counting cards.

Reaction Score
I read today that the B12 is a circus right now with realignment and that no decision will be made until after the season starts. This may be good for us. The biggest obstacle for us is weak football. The other main factor against us, geography, will be mitigated by a positive football perception. There is no way we stay in a G5 conference if we are considered even OK at football.

1. We are a flagship state university with excellent academics.
2. We have a tradition of winning in other sports, including the other big revenue sport.
3. We have a great media market and avid fans.
4. We have a great football coach who is recruiting HUGE players.
5. We have among the highest number of returning football players in the NCAA.

Add it up, and we will be better at football over the next few years. Once we reach the level of being consistently OK at football, we will find a landing spot in the P5. Even if the worst case scenario happens and they take Houston and Cincinnati (no way they go to 4 without us), we will play 4 rising football programs in UCF, USF, ECU, and Temple. If we consistently beat them and a few P5 out of conference schools every year, we will prevail.
The problem is $$$ we don't have the time.

The B12 isn't using logic and that is bad for us. This is good ol boy business and not about metrics.

I am boycotting ESPN if we dont get in, blocking it on my tv. Most treacherous behavior from them if they don't help the state + taxpayers that subsidized them.

Last edited:

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
As of this morning:

UConn is not going to the B12 - 128 votes (2 w/o - 65, 4 w/o - 48, no adds - 25)
UConn is going to the B12 - 119 votes (2 with - 13, 4 with - 106)

We are a pessimistic bunch overall, but the single largest contingent is hopeful.

Eskapeesto

The specter of ExtraPesto is haunting the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Sources: Big 12 to talk expansion with 17 schools

Sources also said it's "becoming less and less likely" that the league will expand to 14 teams. The most likely scenario is that the Big 12 will stay at 10 teams or only add two schools for a 12-team league with two six-team divisions, sources said.

The 17 schools that will make their presentations to the Big 12 includeCincinnati, Houston, BYU, South Florida, UCF, UConn, Memphis, Colorado State, Boise State, Tulane, Temple, East Carolina, SMU and New Mexico, sources said.

Reaction Score

Sources also said it's "becoming less and less likely" that the league will expand to 14 teams. The most likely scenario is that the Big 12 will stay at 10 teams or only add two schools for a 12-team league with two six-team divisions, sources said.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score

The 17 schools that will make their presentations to the Big 12 includeCincinnati, Houston, BYU, South Florida, UCF, UConn, Memphis, Colorado State, Boise State, Tulane, Temple, East Carolina, SMU and New Mexico, sources said.
Doesn't sound like good news for UConn.

Reaction Score
I'm afraid they will take Cincy for OU, UofH for Texas and stop at 12 for ESPN, but I really hope OU likes UConn just as much as they like Cincy and that ESPN encourages them to opt for UConn over Cincy because of the better market. Meanwhile Texas will likely bluster about having to fly a little further but secretly smile because UConn is much better academically.

Three weeks later, I'm still convinced the Big 12 will expand by only two. I'm still convinced BYU is out and Cincy is in. And I'm still convinced the 12th spot comes down to UofH or UConn, but I'm beginning to doubt that Texas' support of UofH's is geninely heartfelt.

My thought now is that Fenves (and Tech's Schovanec) were simply paying lip service to appease the governor's office.

So as of today, I'm convinced the Big 12 expands by two by adding Cincy and UConn.

And I pick Tuesday, September 13th as the announcement date.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Because it's the Big 12, Fresno St, Northern Illinois, North Texas and Old Dominion. A school in every direction. And they all play football.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I don't see them staying at 10 regardless of network bribery.

10 = dead. OU will leave, meaning UT will leave.

12 can't work if UH is involved, and because of UT, UH has to be involved. State politics will demand it. OU won't allow 12 with UH, and will leave if it happens (the Nebraska effect) aND take athe leat one with them. There would be no guarantee that the remaining 10 would stay together (the Big East effect).

It will be 14, ESPN might need something of value in return (GOR maybe but unlikely) and those new 4 will include UConn.

Unless, ESPN moves us to the ACC thereby keeping the our full value in house and agreeing to payoff the B12 to add only 2 at some savings.

CR #1 demands that it will be UH/BYU and stick at 12.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I don't see them staying at 10 regardless of network bribery.

10 = dead. OU will leave, meaning UT will leave.

12 can't work if UH is involved, and because of UT, UH has to be involved. State politics will demand it. OU won't allow 12 with UH, and will leave if it happens (the Nebraska effect) aND take athe leat one with them. There would be no guarantee that the remaining 10 would stay together (the Big East effect).

It will be 14, ESPN might need something of value in return (GOR maybe but unlikely) and those new 4 will include UConn.

Unless, ESPN moves us to the ACC thereby keeping the our full value in house and agreeing to payoff the B12 to add only 2 at some savings.

CR #1 demands that it will be UH/BYU and stick at 12.

Well UH/BYU has the least impact on the American. So that wouldn't be CR#1. CR#1 would be UH/Memphis/Cinci and Temple. That would annihilate the AAC as a hoop and football conference.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
In all honesty if its 12 teams and its BYU/One AAC (UH/UC) I'd be nowhere near as upset as if its 2+ AAC teams without us

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
In all honesty if its 12 teams and its BYU/One AAC (UH/UC) I'd be nowhere near as upset as if its 2+ AAC teams without us

Cinci would bother me. It would make it even less of a northern/eastern league and they are the best basketball program left. SMU will fall fast without Brown, Pastner is already killing Memphis and I don't know if Temple can really up its game long term.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Cinci would bother me. It would make it even less of a northern/eastern league and they are the best basketball program left. SMU will fall fast without Brown, Pastner is already killing Memphis and I don't know if Temple can really up its game long term.

Didn't say it wouldn't bother me at all, but BYU and Cinci or UH I can at least understand why we would lose to in this scenario (football pedigree, politics, location) without drastically altering the future of the AAC (especially if its UH).

Losing to another community college in Memphis or UCF/USF in addition to the aforementioned AAC schools would be a major major sack kick.

And Temple has been solid/good forever. They will be what they will be. NCAA tournament team not getting out of the first weekend but a tough squad. I'm not worried about their hoops. Plus Tubby Smith will do better at Memphis than Pastner could have dreamed.

Reaction Score
If I am correct, Utah and TCU jumped to a P5 conference, UConn, Cinci, USF and Louisville dropped from a BCS conference, and Louisville rose back up again. I think those are the major movers. Should UConn remain relegated while either Cinci or USF got the call, it will be more and more salt. It doesn't matter in what way, shape or form it comes, a large steel toe cowboy boot is headed straight for the sack.
images

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
If I am correct, Utah and TCU jumped to a P5 conference, UConn, Cinci, USF and Louisville dropped from a BCS conference, and Louisville rose back up again. I think those are the major movers. Should UConn remain relegated while either Cinci or USF got the call, it will be more and more salt. It doesn't matter in what way, shape or form it comes, a large steel toe cowboy boot is headed straight for the sack.
images

TCU was in the old SWC, so in some ways they are back up to the big leagues. Houston and Rice are the two who are still on the outside from the SWC.

Reaction Score
The Amazing thing is despite having the best football team in conference last year ,the loss of Houston hardly hurts the AAC. That speaks volumes on their market position in their own metro area.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
My source said no expansion, or if there are 2 it looks like Houston and UCONN. But nobody knows for sure.
They came this far though... I think there will be expansion, and UConn should be in good shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom