What's Worse??? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What's Worse???

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I seem to remember KML being quoted as saying (toward the end of her injury time) she was running stairs and otherwise keeping up her conditioning during the layoff. I could be mistaken.

Regardless, she's been back awhile now so she's had time to hit it 100% if she needed to catch up on it. Maybe she just didn't have the energy tonight, or something else might have been bothering her.

She's tough and will take it to heart. She'll bounce back and be more effective the next time we need her to be.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I worry about a lot of things. KML is not one of them. She has improved her game tremendously since her frosh year, and she has done it by hard work and dedication. She was not at her best tonight; very few people are at their best on every occasion. She is a very dedicated and hard-working player; she will be fine. Morgan's knee is a much more apt subject for worry.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
She wasn't allowed to shoot. She could have run, walked a treadmill, or ridden a bike, none of which would have harmed her elbow.

One of the horde tweeted not that long after her injury that she was running the steps in the XL center.

I've thought this since her return and not said anything because it's not a topic I enjoy talking about and the team has been winning easily. But she's been repeatedly beat off the dribble (tonight by Mulkey's daughter) and Baylor's quickness exposed her tonight. She is just not moving well at either end of the court. As Doris said, she is too good of a player to be relegated to a spot up jump shooter which is most of what she's doing these days. She's very prideful and I believe she'll get better conditioned by March.

Reaction Score
Now someone is giving KML crap because of her weight. Some excellent UCONN fans you are. I hope I never see another ignorant post like these ever again
It saddens me to read a post calling another member stupid and ignorant for posting a reasonable observation/opinion that may not correspond with ones own. We here have shown no compunction about making similar comments or worse regarding other teams players. I don't recall your complaining about that.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
KML has been back almost a month and played now in 8 games since her return. The only thing she hasn't had in that time was a tight hard-fought game where she was asked to be out there for most of the action. She's been averaging 25 mpg in the 7 games before, which also involved more comfortable margins. Tonight she was out there 36% longer for most of the game at 34 minutes, and that seemed to push her maybe a little too far. Hopefully, she can keep upping her endurance level to the point that 35 minutes is okay by March.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
She wasn't allowed to shoot. She could have run, walked a treadmill, or ridden a bike, none of which would have harmed her elbow.

Ok when Nan comments, its time to fold your tent and say you were wrong.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Ok when Nan comments, its time to fold your tent and say I was wrong.
Opinions aren't wrong, they're just different from one another. I've never had an issue with the way you express your opinions.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
Opinions aren't wrong, they're just different from one another. I've never had an issue with the way you express your opinions.
Ooops..I edited my response...I knew you weren't talking about me...

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Wow - KML is being called slow and out of shape. When has she ever been able to guard guards one on one without getting beat on the first step or the dribble? She has never been that fast. The only thing I see is that she is still just a little tentative about physical contact and rebounding, and always checking her arm after a fall. are a hard collision. Personally, I wouldn't mind the sleeve being back on, she was actually shooting better at the end than she has since it came off. I think she is still getting her feel back though and it mayy take a few more games.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Coming into the season it was very evident she had made an effort to drop some weight and gain conditioning. One only needs to looks at film from the first two games to see a difference now. It isn't a judgment it is visible observation.

Last edited:

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Coming into the season it was very evident she had made an effort to drop some weight and gain conditionings. One only needs to looks at film from the first two games to see a difference now. It isn't a judgment it is visible observation.

I agree - she was moving really well earlier in the season. Foot speed and reactions were really good, and noticable. I'll have to watch replay of tonight's game because I didn't get to see much in real time.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
its KML's turn... glad we moved on from Stokes, Banks and Hartley
It isn't about turns, DC, it is about a simple reality. Go back like I did and look at the preseason games and the first two regular season games up to the injury against Stanford. There is a clear visible difference and was from the moment she stepped back on the court. It is easy to understand how it can happen. You are injured for the first time and distracted by what-ifs. You have no idea how quickly or if you will heal because of the particular type of injury. You are used to a certain amount of output and exercise burning a certain amount of calories and suddenly it changes. Changing input habits to the new output is not easy. Whatever the cause KML has some hard conditioning work ahead of her to get back in game shape. My bet is she will get it done because it is something her mentor Kelly would do.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I don't think Doris was commenting on weight, just on conditioning. I didn't realize that Kaleena had lost so much conditioning. But I have to say that Stef and Stewie also looked gassed the last 10-12 minutes. Bria loooked fresh, and MoJet was still running hard.
They talked about this on one of the SNY shows. Hartley doesn't get tired. She can go all day. I think there was something about a conditioning coach (like individual workouts) she had in HS that said she was the best conditioned athlete he'd ever come across. She just does not physically get tired.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I don't think it was tough to watch. The only thing negative about the game from my perspective was that it wasn't another UConn blowout. Two teams went at each other with great energy and determination, and the outcome was in doubt until the last minute. What's tough to watch about that?
It was too tough (irritating) for me to watch. Had to turn it off at halftime I was so pissed off. I'll have to go back some time and watch the second half. Between the way we played and the reffing, just too much. Afraid I was gonna put my foot through the TV.

Reaction Score
Watching this game is painful.

So I was thinking "what's worse?"

The officials and the horrible calls....OR

The announcers who said "KML is doing herself a disservice because she is not in game shape" because she missed eight games.

Really? Let's attack KML. WTH?

Reaction Score
I don't worry one bit about KML being out of shape. As far as I know she the best in the nation. March will be here soon enough and Doris will see her shine.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I don't worry one bit about KML being out of shape. As far as I know she the best in the nation. March will be here soon enough and Doris will see her shine.
It makes the difference between her being under control defensively and not getting reach fouls leading to being on the bench and being tired and on the bench for a breather. She doesn't shoot so well from there.

Last edited:

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
KML was a huge help in the 1st half, knocked down a couple of threes. I'm sure Doris isn't the only one that may see a conditioning issue

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Lil Mulkey drove past her... wasnt everyone just talking about that, hands off cause the back line will swat it away? Is that what KML may have been doing or we just have very little respect for Robertson?

Reaction Score
Lil Mulkey drove past her... wasnt everyone just talking about that, hands off cause the back line will swat it away? Is that what KML may have been doing or we just have very little respect for Robertson?
Haha, well we don't, but Is good athlete and that is evident. But having a strong front court is a luxurious 2nd option. Guards need to get in front and if they get by then they get swatted, shouldn't be what you rely on

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Why not just say what you think. If you disagree and think what you're seeing from KML is okey-dokey, then why not just say that and we can agree to disagree. I don't attack players on this team and certainly not Kaleena who is one of my favorites. It pains me to say it but she does not look like or move like the player we saw earlier this year and the end of last year. Doris observed it as well and said it on national TV. We'll see what happens in the next few months. She's too good to let a month off affect her in this way.

Reaction Score
Now someone is giving KML crap because of her weight. Some excellent UCONN fans you are. I hope I never see another ignorant post like these ever again
What I seem to be hearing from you is something I would hear from a "mother hen" who doesn't want anyone picking on her poor little baby. These kids are on athletic scholarship and have a certain responsibility to take care of themselves. Obviously KML suffered a horrific injury but after a couple of days, there is no reason why she shouldn't be running sprints and doing other things that preclude her injured elbow. Last year she stepped up from her freshman year and was in appreciably better shape and it showed in her evolution as a player. She became something more than a one dimensional (though that's a great dimension) player, playing seriously nice defense and rebounding above and beyond the call of duty. Why she seems to have allowed herself to either omit some of her conditioning while out or maybe got away from her regiment is anybody's guess but even beyond her shooting, her game seems to have regressed since coming back. I love her as a kid but she has to be able to compete with skilled and athletic opponents and lately, it's not so much. I think a little constructive criticism from UConn Cat was well within bounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom