What's up with Omar? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What's up with Omar?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
When watching the game I heard the announcers say a little bit about Omar... it was when KO was giving him an earful in the 1st half and the announcers said the omar walked away from him without responding (or listening). After this I dont think Calhoun saw the court... for any of you that saw that exchange ( and reaction), is their any meat to this?

Possible doghouse siutation.... i dont think omar was bad enough in any aspect of his game to not see the light of day to that point.

Just a though...

Reaction Score
When watching the game I heard the announcers say a little bit about Omar... it was when KO was giving him an earful in the 1st half and the announcers said the omar walked away from him without responding (or listening). After this I dont think Calhoun saw the court... for any of you that saw that exchange ( and reaction), is their any meat to this?

Possible doghouse siutation.... i dont think omar was bad enough in any aspect of his game to not see the light of day to that point.

Just a though...

I didn't notice it but I saw the same at the USF game when I was there. It was during a TO and Omar didn't look to be listening rather disagreeing with his hands up while walking towards the bench. KO immediately told an assistant to put someone else in and I'm not sure he played much thereafter.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Omar clearly takes things very hard when he is playing poorly. Unfortunately, he expresses this through poor body language.
For him, success breeds success. I hope he starts being successful again.

Reaction Score
Omar needs room and time to get his feet set which he didn't have the other day, also he needs to be close to the line.

Reaction Score
Do we run any plays for Omar?

Oh man we run potential plays for anyone that wants to work and knows how to work. Did we run plays for Rip Hamilton? yes and it looked that way because he used every pick to its fullest and never stopped working. That's how you get open but against a zone, which they've seen a lot of you have to have your feet set and be ready to pop. He's not as good at that and he doesn't get to the hole well. Funny a "shooter" not being good against the zone but his slower, lower release takes him from the norm. His best games are when we're running yo will notice because we take the ball to the middle while the defense retreats and kick it back out for a wide open 3.

Reaction Score
As a shooter you would think he'd be a zone breaker but he doesn't get the shot off fast enough so the 3-2 got to him too fast. And when he needs to attack he's just not as good. I thought he was best when he was using the ball fake and making the 12-15 footers. They sure could use him to make some shots again but not at the luxury of having less defense and ball handling/passing on the floor.

Good point in saying that he doesn't get his shot off fast enough. Noticed that too. He'll get a pass, THEN decide whether or not to shoot. Has to decide if he's shooting before he gets the pass.

There was a game, a few games back, where both players just caught and shot. No hesitation. And they were all going in. Go back to that.

Reaction Score
Good point in saying that he doesn't get his shot off fast enough. Noticed that too. He'll get a pass, THEN decide whether or not to shoot. Has to decide if he's shooting before he gets the pass.

There was a game, a few games back, where both players just caught and shot. No hesitation. And they were all going in. Go back to that.

You know what though while I said that I forgot to mention something also important to him being ready, the pass he receives. In Omar's defense as a shooter if it's not in the right spot or they throw it to your feet it'a really hard to be in rhythm to shoot it. And our guys do deliver some ugly passes to the potential shooters.

Reaction Score
You know what though while I said that I forgot to mention something also important to him being ready, the pass he receives. In Omar's defense as a shooter if it's not in the right spot or they throw it to your feet it'a really hard to be in rhythm to shoot it. And our guys do deliver some ugly passes to the potential shooters.

Boat's passes are usually on target....usually, not always. But see too many passes at the shooters feet, or off to the side. Or late in coming. Can't blame the shooters in those cases.

That's one of those little nuances that made Shabazz so great as a PG. He got the ball to the player as soon as that player was open...and he delivered the ball to a spot where all the shooter had to do was catch and shoot in one motion.

The difference between the great PG's and everyone else who plays the position is that the great PG's deliver the ball before the defense can react, and right in the wheelhouse of the shooter so that all they're already in their shooting motion when they get the ball. I know someone's not a true PG when they stand, ball in hand, and look at the player they want to pass to, for a couple seconds, while trying to decide whether or not to do so.

Reaction Score
I think u guys nailed it, his release/readiness to shoot is too slow for speed of games. He has unorthodox release but it's fine when he's confident and playing faster.

So when u combine slow/unorthodox release with lack of confidence it's deadly for him.

We could use him so I hope he keeps working through it.

Reaction Score
Omar hasn't been shooting when he has been open. That's why Ollie benched him. He's in the game to hit shots and if he refuses to shoot we don't need him in the game.

Reaction Score
Omar hasn't been shooting when he has been open. That's why Ollie benched him. He's in the game to hit shots and if he refuses to shoot we don't need him in the game.

Not shooting, not shooting well and going down the other end and not guarding. Put that all together and it spells 8 minutes.

Reaction Score
What Calhoun really needed was a coach about 10 years ago to say, "son, if you keep shooting your shot from your chin, you're going to make it really easy for defenders to stop your shot. Get that shot up over your head, and work on a quick release. Here - he's a DVD with 4 hours of Ray Allen shooting jumpers. Emulate that."

His release is just soooooo low. It literally makes the defender's apparent height about 10" taller, because they don't have to close as much distance to bother the shot.

Frustrating, because there's no reason for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom