What's up with Gampel? | The Boneyard

What's up with Gampel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I keep forgetting to post this. We went to the Stony game while back in CT for Thanksgiving. I haven't been back in a few years and was surprised at the condition of the ceiling tiles. Are we in THAT bad of shape financially that we can't repair/replace some ceiling tiles and/or fix whatever roof issues there are?!?!? It looks like absolute crap! I even noticed it on a recording I have of the women's games against Penn. State. It may seem like a stupid little thing to focus on but those little things can make an impression. It makes an impression on people who are voting whether or not we get into their confidence and it makes an impression on recruits who visit campus. And for the wisea$$es that love to twist stuff like this, NO, I am NOT saying ceiling tiles are why we didn't get into the ACC or why recruits have dropped UConn. I am saying it has SOME impact just like personal appearance has an impact when you go for an interview. It matters, even if it seems small and stupid.

I would like to know WHY they haven't fixed it. If it is financially related, maybe that tells one reason why a longer term contract with a buyout wasn't offered. Fixing that roof has to be a lot cheaper than a buyout of a top D1 coach. I hope we aren't that screwed financially!!!

Reaction Score
Right, I'm sure it was the shaky ceiling tiles that *ked up our ACC bid and not George Deleone's offense.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I keep forgetting to post this. We went to the Stony game while back in CT for Thanksgiving. I haven't been back in a few years and was surprised at the condition of the ceiling tiles. Are we in THAT bad of shape financially that we can't repair/replace some ceiling tiles and/or fix whatever roof issues there are?!?!? It looks like absolute crap! I even noticed it on a recording I have of the women's games against Penn. State. It may seem like a stupid little thing to focus on but those little things can make an impression. It makes an impression on people who are voting whether or not we get into their confidence and it makes an impression on recruits who visit campus. And for the wisea$$es that love to twist stuff like this, NO, I am NOT saying ceiling tiles are why we didn't get into the ACC or why recruits have dropped UConn. I am saying it has SOME impact just like personal appearance has an impact when you go for an interview. It matters, even if it seems small and stupid.

I would like to know WHY they haven't fixed it. If it is financially related, maybe that tells one reason why a longer term contract with a buyout wasn't offered. Fixing that roof has to be a lot cheaper than a buyout of a top D1 coach. I hope we aren't that screwed financially!!!

You didn't read the thread about this over the summer? The tiles are ceramic and were designed and made by an Italian gent in Hartford's south end. The guy died in a workshop explosion that took out the molds and the machines that produce them. Those tiles have to be replaced in total so that they all match. Herbst said that ain't happening.

RIP Enzo Patoni !!

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
One does not simply walk into Home Depot and buy Patoni tiles.

The man made a nice tile...a nice tile.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
ade4a2ej.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1355119781.013382.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1355119781.013382.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 60
Reaction Score
Right, I'm sure it was the shaky ceiling tiles that *ked up our ACC bid and not George Deleone's offense.
You have a serious reading comprehension problem, don't you? Either that or you are a simple dude.

Reaction Score
You have a serious reading comprehension problem, don't you? Either that or you are a simple dude.

Or he's just fawking with you.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
You didn't read the thread about this over the summer? The tiles are ceramic and were designed and made by an Italian gent in Hartford's south end. The guy died in a workshop explosion that took out the molds and the machines that produce them. Those tiles have to be replaced in total so that they all match. Herbst said that ain't happening.

RIP Enzo Patoni !!
No, I don't read the board as much over the summer.

The tiles look repairable to me. They are peeling some sort of coating/cover material, not totally degrading. And even if the ceramic core is breaking down a little, there are materials to fix that. I work with ceramics, glasses, glass ceramics, polymers and epoxies all the time. There is some exotic stuff out there that can perform miracles. The eyesore is unacceptable.

Reaction Score
How the heck did they fray like that? Looks like something was done to them.

Reaction Score

The tiles look repairable to me. They are peeling some sort of coating/cover material, not totally degrading. And even if the ceramic core is breaking down a little, there are materials to fix that. I work with ceramics, glasses, glass ceramics, polymers and epoxies all the time. There is some exotic stuff out there that can perform miracles. The eyesore is unacceptable.

Yes, this is what I was thinking. Even duct tape with a coat of tan paint would look better.

Reaction Score

Do NOT desecrate the Patoni name with your mindless drivel. Your fancy and exotic polymers and epoxies will not be allowed within 100 yards of his masterpiece, Gampel Pavillion.

Reaction Score
It looks like water damage from either a leak or heavy condensation.

Yep - that part of the roof/dome had serious condensation and/or a bit of leaking back in Feb & March of 2011. The snowpack was on the outside for a good month or so...
I remember sheets of ice coming off the building before one of the late season games - around the same time there was water on the inside of the roof/dome.

Reaction Score
Do NOT desecrate the Patoni name with your mindless drivel. Your fancy and exotic polymers and epoxies will not be allowed within 100 yards of his masterpiece, Gampel Pavillion.

Like Michelangelo and the Sistine Chapel, he is dead and his materpiece needs to be cleaned and/or repaired. If it is good enough for Michelangelo it is good enough for Patoni.

And, perhaps, a big- de-humidifer system needs to be installed in the building.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
It's no coincidence that the marks started showing up after Patoni's death. Word is that he was upset when they gave the bathroom contract to the Fioranese family so he vowed to haunt the place.

Reaction Score
This is the problem when the Boneyard spreads incorrect information - we can't be trusted as a news source, the way the B1G boards are.

It is spelled Petoni. I mean, really, people learned how to spell Michelangelo correctly and his name was twice as long (even if his ceiling was smaller).

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score

The original construction cost was 28 million dollars to build the facility. 8 million was for the tiles. It was rumored Patoni got the contract after remodeling a bathroom for John Rowland at no cost.

Reaction Score
The original construction cost was 28 million dollars to build the facility. 8 million was for the tiles. It was rumored Patoni got the contract after remodeling a bathroom for John Rowland at no cost.

Ugh. What a disgrace. I grew up in New Haven with the whole Coliseum debacle. A heist if there ever was one.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Yep - that part of the roof/dome had serious condensation and/or a bit of leaking back in Feb & March of 2011. The snowpack was on the outside for a good month or so...
I remember sheets of ice coming off the building before one of the late season games - around the same time there was water on the inside of the roof/dome.

It's been over a year and a half. It's a joke and an embarassment.

Fix it!!!

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
It's been over a year and a half. It's a joke and an embarassment.

Fix it!!!
They're probably hoping the Boneyard will start a collection.

Reaction Score
I started seeing this happen after we got the freak snow storms 2 years ago. During the villanova game where Kemba hit the shot, debris was falling and making a mess. They should really fix it but whe need to sign Ollie long term first.

Reaction Score
I started seeing this happen after we got the freak snow storms 2 years ago. During the villanova game where Kemba hit the shot, debris was falling and making a mess. They should really fix it but whe need to sign Ollie long term first.
The only falling debris that mattered is the ball going through the hoop for the UCONN win! :D

Reaction Score
Hmmmm. Cost of replacing tiles vs. cost of lawsuit when tile hits someone during a CBS broadcast. That ought to give recruiting a B12 shot in the ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom