What's the deal with Melvin Swift? | The Boneyard

What's the deal with Melvin Swift?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge2017

Bleed Blue
Reaction Score
Anyone know where we stand on him? I think I remember someone saying we aren't interested anymore a while back, anyone know why? Just saw that Meyer and a few others predict him UConn, but haven't heard much at all about him other than that. I'm all about saving the scholarships, just seems like a solid PF that we normal wouldn't pass on.

Reaction Score
I figure that as this season progresses and the rest of the country realizes what type of team we have that we're going to land a couple more top recruits for 2014 and 2015

Dynasty

Never not member
Reaction Score
I thought UConn was just keeping tabs on the guy but one of national recruiting analyst tweeted that UConn is going as hard after him as every other school in his list. Remember he was supposed to visit in October and never came with no news of a reschedule. If you look at his twitter he retweets stuff from fans of the schools going after him and the majority of stuff he retweets is UConn-oriented so it seems he wants to come and we're the leader. I'm not in the "know" like 3 is so I may be wrong.

Reaction Score
Swift had several favorable tweets with the hashtag #bleedblue last night for whatever thats worth

Reaction Score
Swift has UConn as his personal favorite. However, I'm still not sold that UConn is after him that hard. Yes, that one person did say UCon is recruiting him as hard as the other schools but I had never even heard of that person. I could see us getting him late but there's a reason why he hasn't visited yet. The staff is most likely holding out for better recruits that get released because of various reasons.

Personally, even if we don't get a released recruit or a late bloomer I wouldn't take him. He's not really what we need which is a large body. Also, I had someone tell me that they believe he has possibly two kids already. Not the distractions a player needs and going away from home could be bad. Save the scholarship.

Dynasty

Never not member
Reaction Score
Swift has UConn as his personal favorite. However, I'm still not sold that UConn is after him that hard. Yes, that one person did say UCon is recruiting him as hard as the other schools but I had never even heard of that person. I could see us getting him late but there's a reason why he hasn't visited yet. The staff is most likely holding out for better recruits that get released because of various reasons.

Personally, even if we don't get a released recruit or a late bloomer I wouldn't take him. He's not really what we need which is a large body. Also, I had someone tell me that they believe he has possibly two kids already. Not the distractions a player needs and going away from home could be bad. Save the scholarship.

Looks like I was in the ballpark..

Reaction Score
yeah he's always tweeting pictures of kids, i was wondering if they were his.

Reaction Score

I agree, watching his highlight videos he doesn't seem like a person I want in a Uconn uniform. He's undersized and seems like a bad personality. We don't need a 6'7 200 lb forward. We need a 6'9 230 lb forward.

Reaction Score

Yeah, none of our past or current players have ever had kids.

Wake up...

Reaction Score
Similarly to 3. Heard he likes uconn. But uconn is only loosely recruit him.

Reaction Score
Yeah, none of our past or current players have ever had kids.

Wake up...
I never said none of our previous players have had kids. I'm just saying I would stay away from them.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Stixs toos. But it doesn't matter kids or not. The kid's not 230lb rebounding machine who pumps out double-doubles.

Reaction Score
What if we felt that way with Kalid?
I'm just saying my preference. Obviously the coaches are looking much deeper into the recruits than I am before taking commitments. Some are obviously worth the risk and can handle these situations. However, I don't believe Swift is worth the risk. Just like CTBasketball just said he's no can't miss recruit.

I may be completely off the track with what the staff is thinking. I'm just saying what I think should happen.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
He's an athletic kid with a mean streak...could be a good hybrid 3-4 energy player.

I certainly could be wrong, but couldn't he be the back up plan in case Deandre turns pro?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Also, I had someone tell me that they believe he has possibly two kids already. Not the distractions a player needs and going away from home could be bad. Save the scholarship.

So what? Your parents have kids and that doesn't make them bad people. Of course, it doesn't make them good people, but I don't judge.

Why, Melvin sounds like a family man to me. A family man whose frame can pack on 20 pounds pretty easily and a family man who might aid our current front court in their efforts to do the impossible....outrebound somebody.

Reaction Score
Hey guys I would give anyone of you a break on a single comment if you added 1% of content that 3 does to this board ..
I hear you but this board has an equal opportunity attack system. I think everyone has had their lumps at some point in time. 3 will be fine, its just his turn (i.e. post).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hey guys I would give anyone of you a break on a single comment if you added 1% of content that 3 does to this board ..

Did the "long nights" start already 99? Geez..........;)

As Kita said fair game........

Reaction Score
i have seen his tweets back & forth and he doesn't seem like our kind of kid. but what do I know.

Reaction Score
[quote="Kitaman, post: 774143, member: don't I hear you but this board has an equal opportunity attack system. I think everyone has had their lumps at some point in time. 3 will be fine, its just his turn (i.e. post).[/quote]

I never meant to attack anyone, but I dont think 3 has any idea of how many of our former and current players had/have kids. And that's far from unique to UConn, its just part of the landscape of college basketball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom