What's Happening at LA Tech [merged thread] | Page 8 | The Boneyard

What's Happening at LA Tech [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Come on man, this infraction doesn't mean he' a pedophile either. Teaching kids would be a good way for him to get back in the game eventually.

Stop putting words in my mouth intl. Know your style; not getting dragged into this. You're the winner. He should sponsor a junior program this summer and start advertising for players now.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Come on man, this infraction doesn't mean he' a pedophile either. Teaching kids would be a good way for him to get back in the game eventually.
Ok, you are a parent of a 16 year old girl basketball star and you start you home visits looking for the coaching staff that will take your little baby and turn her into both a great player and a mature young woman ... do you really welcome Tyler into your living room and discuss what he can do to help her grow up and mature?!!
Doesn't matter if it is next year or two decades from now ... that front door is not being opened by many people when he rings the doorbell. And with little actual coaching resume to fall back on beyond the reputation of his name ...

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Ok, you are a parent of a 16 year old girl basketball star and you start you home visits looking for the coaching staff that will take your little baby and turn her into both a great player and a mature young woman ... do you really welcome Tyler into your living room and discuss what he can do to help her grow up and mature?!!

Doesn't matter if it is next year or two decades from now ... that front door is not being opened by many people when he rings the doorbell. And with little actual coaching resume to fall back on beyond the reputation of his name ...

Perhaps, but I am willing to listen to someone on something that occurred 20 to 30 years ago--when they were also very young. I'd expect him to address it. People are capable of learning stuff over decades.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
As an aside from this horrible story we are now getting more headline grabbing articles written by irresponsible reporters like this one on Yahoo Sports:

Tyler Summitt's indiscretion damages more than just his own reputation

This does NOTHING to "Tarnish" Pat Summitt's Legacy and the writer should be called out for making such a foolish statement. This is the kind of Journalism we DON'T need these days. Just plain stupid IMO.

EDIT: Want to hear a good one - The reporter "Edited" this story and changed the phrasing in the article to say the "Name" Summitt. is tarnished. The original version of this story said it "tarnished her accomplishments". Internet reporting is really something isn't it? Say something stupid and then go back and re-phrase it so you can flat out deny being an idiot.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Do you really think this?

The power dynamic that the other poster was describing was generally: "the player had more to lose: scholarship, playing time, reputation, etc etc".

My post was only offered as a rebuttal to that context. The coach has a career, family, professional/private reputation, financial viability, etc etc.

In that particular context, how much each had to lose, the coach has a broader scope. Many of those things a coach would never recover from, where a player could.

My overarching point was that people seem to only look at things from one side, for whatever reason.

Last edited:

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Stop putting words in my mouth intl. Know your style; not getting dragged into this. You're the winner. He should sponsor a junior program this summer and start advertising for players now.

Know my style? I rarely ever do that, and only by mistake if so. But I expect clarity. Whether you mean it or not, you implied those things, not me. I was trying to clarify what you were saying.

And for someone who complains about people putting words in someone's mouth, you end with "He should sponsor a junior program this summer and start advertising for players now." While I recognize the sarcasm, this is hypocritical. I did not say or imply that.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I'd be stunned, if that happened. Absolutely stunned. Perhaps, less so if he actually was successful as a coach, though.

You don't think, in 7 years time, he could coach his (hypothetical) 7 year old son's team?

Reaction Score
The moderators have the power and the right to end this discussion, but I hope they do not do so...Because we are fans of WCBB, and because we have a ringside seat to so many peripheral issues that affect both the coaches and the players, and, most of all, because the issues being discussed are so important to our mutual understanding of these issues (way beyond the TS and girlfriend matter), the discussion, by its very nature, is really quite healthy.

The central issue being discussed concerns the nature of victimhood, what constitutes consensual relationships, who "earns" the lion's share of the blame in matters such as this one. I submit that this is not simply a semantic matter. One of our fellow posters, sarals24, very articulately makes the underappreciated point that no matter how voracious the appetites of either party in a relationship, that relationship cannot be considered consensual in any traditional sense so long as the power structure going in is hugely tilted one way or the other. She's not talking about legality here, just basic ethics. It does not matter, for example, how much a secretary is googoo-eyed over her boss... any relationship between the two that might ensue is tainted by the non-level nature of the playing field and cannot, therefore, be deemed truly consensual.

I can hear folks rushing to articulate their disagreement, but allow me to illustrate the point by offering another example: I am a retired doctor. Over the long course of my career, I have been witness to many cases of doctor/patient relationships that have crossed the line unethically. By far the most egregious of those involved so-called mental health professionals, psychiatrists, psychologists, social workers, etc., who violated the most sacred position of trust imaginable by dallying with their vulnerable patients. In such relationships, the fundamental issue of "transference" is always in play (look it up). But transference, and hero worship, is in play in an extremely wide variety of other relationships with uneven power levels...sure, some students may wish to "bang" the professor for a better grade, but these things aren't always about trying to achieve some kind of illusory quid pro quo. Sometimes the professor allows his or her ego to be flattered in ways that, ultimately, cannot be condoned. Between coach and player, c'mon...no semblance of power equity there!

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I want to understand the hypothetical before answering. Who is the mother and is he married to her and does he live in the Bible Belt?

hahaha good point there. Still married to his current wife with a son. Bible belt? dunno about that. Say no, elsewhere.

Reaction Score
The fact that she followed him from Marquette, changes the entire dynamic of the situation. Had all of this happened in one place, I could buy the argument that she may have been coerced. Her following him to LT throws that out the window. He had no power to make her follow him, but she indeed could have forced him to allow her to come.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
hahaha good point there. Still married to his current wife with a son. Bible belt? dunno about that. Say no, elsewhere.

Okay. Just one more question: Is he working in a hardware store, a bank teller or the preacher in his own little church called The Summit of God?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I can hear folks rushing to articulate their disagreement, but allow me to illustrate the point by offering another example: I am a retired doctor. Over the long course of my career, I have been witness to many cases of doctor/patient relationships that have crossed the line unethically. By far the most egregious of those involved so-called mental health professionals, psychiatrists, psychologists, social workers, etc., who violated the most sacred position of trust imaginable by dallying with their vulnerable patients. In such relationships, the fundamental issue of "transference" is always in play (look it up). But transference, and hero worship, is in play in an extremely wide variety of other relationships with uneven power levels...sure, some students may wish to "bang" the professor for a better grade, but these things aren't always about trying to achieve some kind of illusory quid pro quo. Sometimes the professor allows his or her ego to be flattered in ways that, ultimately, cannot be condoned. Between coach and player, c'mon...no semblance of power equity there!

Good post.

In reply, I'll offer the same question I did before. What if (and we have no idea either way) the player in question is entrapping Summit into keeping--or even starting--the relationship either by threat or by having a child? She is now the power broker. This could truly be what happened here. We just don't know.

My point is that there is more potential dynamics here that require further information before making a definitive judgement.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
You don't think, in 7 years time, he could coach his (hypothetical) 7 year old son's team?
So your rehabilitation plan is to wait 7 years and then have him coach rec? That's his way back? :rolleyes:

intlzncster

Reaction Score
So your rehabilitation plan is to wait 7 years and then have him coach rec? That's his way back? :rolleyes:

I don't have a 'rehabilitation plan'. I'm simply saying it is one way to get back into the game. I bet he could become a men's assistant in a shorter time frame. Only question is, who owes Pat Summitt a favor?

CL82

Reaction Score
I don't have a 'rehabilitation plan'. I'm simply saying it is one way to get back into the game. I bet he could become a men's assistant in a shorter time frame. Only question is, who owes Pat Summitt a favor?
Who knew? I have a ton of rec and travel experience. Coaching woman's basketball will be a cool retirement gig.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Who knew? I have a ton of rec and travel experience. Coaching woman's basketball will be a cool retirement gig.

Does Pat Summitt owe you a favor?

Reaction Score
If he is removed as spokesperson over this--WoW --what does that say for those who carried on long term affairs and still are govenors, ex presidents, mayors, etc who show their faces over and over on TV??? Or does this only work for Tyler??
Don't you know politicians are above the law.:eek:

CL82

Reaction Score

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The moderators have the power and the right to end this discussion, but I hope they do not do so...Because we are fans of WCBB, and because we have a ringside seat to so many peripheral issues that affect both the coaches and the players, and, most of all, because the issues being discussed are so important to our mutual understanding of these issues (way beyond the TS and girlfriend matter), the discussion, by its very nature, is really quite healthy.

The central issue being discussed concerns the nature of victimhood, what constitutes consensual relationships, who "earns" the lion's share of the blame in matters such as this one. I submit that this is not simply a semantic matter. One of our fellow posters, sarals24, very articulately makes the underappreciated point that no matter how voracious the appetites of either party in a relationship, that relationship cannot be considered consensual in any traditional sense so long as the power structure going in is hugely tilted one way or the other. She's not talking about legality here, just basic ethics. It does not matter, for example, how much a secretary is googoo-eyed over her boss... any relationship between the two that might ensue is tainted by the non-level nature of the playing field and cannot, therefore, be deemed truly consensual.

Really good and clearly stated, and I agree that if we keep this on an even keel I would hope we can keep the discussion flowing. I do not sense hostility though we have strong disagreements, and except for a few attempts at humor that may be a little off, it isn't descending to bathroom graffiti levels.
I agree with you and Sarals24 in the rigid line to be drawn, but do see two areas where personal experience can gray the perceptions of most of us:
1. Most of us probably know of relationships that started in obvious power imbalance situations have over long periods of time been very successful and joyous - it is hard to condemn the origin of the relationship given the end result.
2. The reality is that no couple exists in a perfect balance of power and no relationships start in perfect balance, or ever truly achieve a perfect balance. Most of us probably know successful and happy relationships where the power is very imbalanced, but it works for both parties, and who are we to judge.
That is not to excuse the abuse of position (power) in any way, just to state that nothing in other peoples lives is ever completely cut and dried.

What if (and we have no idea either way) the player in question is entrapping Summit into keeping--or even starting--the relationship either by threat or by having a child? She is now the power broker.
I'll just say that it requires an abuse of his position by Tyler initially before she might be able to turn the tables and achieve theoretical power. That first step is huge, and he would have to compound his offenses to become trapped as deeply as he has been if he has in fact been 'trapped'.
The fact that she followed him from Marquette, changes the entire dynamic of the situation. Had all of this happened in one place, I could buy the argument that she may have been coerced. Her following him to LT throws that out the window. He had no power to make her follow him, but she indeed could have forced him to allow her to come.
Two things - we do not know yet if it started at Marquette. And even if it started at Marquette she would not be the first person to possible be coerced to do something wrong including following someone from town to town by a possibly manipulative person - and she didn't just follow him, he provided the inducement of a scholarship for her and her friend, an approximately $100,000 per year sweetener paid for by the tax payers of Louisiana. (I am using possibly in awkward fashion because this is all speculation)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom