"Whatever they did, we knew what was coming." | Page 3 | The Boneyard

"Whatever they did, we knew what was coming."

Reaction Score
I was stuck on 95 and then 91 so was forced to listen to the game... What struck me is listening to Joe D call Wich st possessions compared to us. He could barely keep up with the ball movement. With us, it was him narrating whomever had the ball and the "tricky dribble" they were using to accomplish nothing. In the biggest possessions of the game it became an opportunity for our guys to take turns going one-on-one. Joe's commentary? "UConn has completely stopped moving offensively." This is on KO. The system is not conducive to the players he has. We've been saying for four -ing years and not one alteration. You can play this way when you have two ridiculous guards (Bazz or Boat) and a 6-9 guy with skill (DD). You cannot play this way with nothing else. It's beyond embarrassing that opposing players are telling the media "we know what's coming." Pisses me off something fierce.
Exactly what I’ve been crying for. Run something that utilizes our strengths, not a system that maximizes our weaknesses. It’s as if KO stopped trying to come up with anything creative after he got the long deal and the big $.

Reaction Score
That's not on Ollie. I know for a fact he coaches them to share the ball and pass the ball having been to couple practices over the past couple seasons. Also have had an informal conversation with KO at a barber shop where he was getting a cut. Basically said guys don't follow through on offensive sets and then try playing hero ball and that's not what he and the coaches teach them to do.

When you don't have consistent shooters or inside presence its difficult to run a fluid offense that uses the PnR a lot. The players coming in next year along with the current players being a year older should solve those issues

There is no way any team who is last in the nation in assists is well coached. KO is now 2-16 against ranked teams over the past 3 1/2 seasons. People keep blaming the players, but there is far more to it than that.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
You think Tulane will beat us by twice as much as Wichita?
It seems to be the trend... How many of ya'll were predicting a win at Auburn after a "decent" showing at Zona, only to get run out the house. The loss of short term memory on this site is shocking to say the least.

If they do, I wouldn't be surprised at all

Reaction Score
Since UConn can't shoot. It really doesn't matter.

This is it, isn't it? Even when we put together aggressive defense, some rebounding, Larrier hitting a good percentage and running a few decent sets. When it comes time to drain some perimeter shots we can't get nearly enough production to fend off a run if we're ahead, or stem the tide when an opponent starts to get hot. Our lack of outside shooting negates the good things we do and puts us in a box where the effort has to be nonstop and the other parts of our game have almost no margin for error. Poor decisions and lack of effort are fixable, but even Calhoun couldn't put the ball in the hoop for his guys. I'm already in the boat of fans unimpressed with KO's development but we need a couple of shooters to complement some decent young players for next year. I think we recruited 1 guy but we need another and a PG to run the show. We lost 2 instant contributors in the last recruiting process. We need to do better this time around with Alterique still a questionmark.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Exactly what I’ve been crying for. Run something that utilizes our strengths, not a system that maximizes our weaknesses. It’s as if KO stopped trying to come up with anything creative after he got the long deal and the big $.
Exactly. Coach the players you have. Don't try to make the players you have fit your system (whatever that is.....) if they don't. He's been here long enough. If they don't fit his system, that says all that needs to be said about his talent evaluation skills.

C

Chief00

That's not on Ollie. I know for a fact he coaches them to share the ball and pass the ball having been to couple practices over the past couple seasons. Also have had an informal conversation with KO at a barber shop where he was getting a cut. Basically said guys don't follow through on offensive sets and then try playing hero ball and that's not what he and the coaches teach them to do.

When you don't have consistent shooters or inside presence its difficult to run a fluid offense that uses the PnR a lot. The players coming in next year along with the current players being a year older should solve those issues

Chill and Blaze may have come a year too late?

Reaction Score

Holy mother of god, are you stoned?

First of all, Ollie picked these players so if they suck or refuse to be coached, that is on him. It is on him!!!

Second, these are supposed to be the guys that "want to be here". This is Ollie's "reset". He is all but admitting he screwed that up and replaced guys who didn't want to be here with worse guys that don't want to be here.

Lastly, it is his job to reach these kids. Geno calls it "finding their buttons". But I guess it is a "different game". Leadership is, apparently, no longer required in the bigger, faster, stronger version of basketball.

Reaction Score
Here's the deal, Goodman is a blowhard, he has not idea what offense is he's a , pitiful by all standard.

Reaction Score
Lastly, it is his job to reach these kids.
Especially perfect because I picture you, @Paesano as a kind of Cartman in real life

cartman-quotes-how-do-i-reach-these-kids.jpg

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
WE DON'T HAVE A BIG THAT CAN SCORE. It's very tough to win when you only have 3 players on offense putting up shots the entire game.

Mamadou and Carlton need to be developed offensively IMMEDIATELY for us to salvage some of this season.

Disagree completely. Carlton and Diarra have more offense than our other recent bigs, and I think Cobb does as well. What we don’t have p, is an offense that makes any attempt to get them the ball where they can do anything with it.

Reaction Score
What a bunch of BS. Can't believe my brothers and sisters here in the yard are overreacting to what another player said. Heck UConn players could have said the same thing about Wichita State.

Folks here are ripping the team for not running an offense. How do we know that our boys and coach KO don't have an offense? I saw a 1-4 Low look. A 3 Out 2 In look. A hint of a primary and secondary look. So there is an offense being ran. We just can't make shots. Which leads to folks saying "Our offense sucks!" Or "They are running anything!" Oh they running an offense. Just shots aren't falling.

I got faith in my boys and coach KO. 7-6 is not where we should be. Players gotta step up. Basketball is a simple game.

Reaction Score
You are absolutely correct. They should NOT be 7-6.

Based on advanced metrics, they're one of the luckiest teams in the country and should be 5-8.
They are really good at pulling out OT wins against teams like Columbia.

Reaction Score
You think Tulane will beat us by twice as much as Wichita?
Better Ollie teams than this (a lot better) have been hammered by teams like Tulane before. Are you somehow under the impression that getting up for playing #8 is not a thing ? Or will they similarly raise their game every night against every team, unlike proven past performance ?

This team STINKS and when they go on the road, in conference, and aren't playing a nationally ranked team ? Yeah, they're going to lose a lot of games by 20+ points, and yeah, very likely that list will include Tulane. I'll grant you, there is a decent chance they don't lose at USF.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
When the other team can say, "Whatever they did, we knew what was coming," the only way to win is if they also say, "We knew what was coming, but we just couldn't stop them."
This is not a team that elicits the second comment. Neither was last year's.

"If we had two pieces of bread we could make a ham sandwich...if we had some ham."

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Since UConn can't shoot. It really doesn't matter.

This^^^^. If our top three could hit an open shot we would stop caring about a lot of the other stuff. Our opponents double the ball because they don't care if someone is wide open.

Reaction Score
When the other team can say, "Whatever they did, we knew what was coming," the only way to win is if they also say, "We knew what was coming, but we just couldn't stop them."
This is not a team that elicits the second comment. Neither was last year's.

"If we had two pieces of bread we could make a ham sandwich...if we had some ham."

Found the ham

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Maybe Greg Marshall is a good coach with experienced players that know how to execute his game plan. This is stuff Patriot players tend to say too, doesn't mean the coaches of all their opponents suck.

But why bother, just keep it simple people, especially when your narrative is already cast in stone. You overlook much larger stuff than this, so I won't set my bar too high.

"TAKE THE STAIRS OLLIE", "PICK UP THE BALL JALEN", "THIS TEAM SUCKS" "GILBERT SUCKS ANYHOW" THE PROGRAM IS A DUMPSTER FIRE" "KIDS TRANSFERRED BECAUSE OLLIE SUCKS" "INJURIES ARE JUST EXCUSES" (but we're lucky if our opponents player is injured of course)

AND, "I ONLY WANT WHAT'S BEST FOR THE TEAM"

Nothing else really matters

PS: can anyone tell me about the most recent Coppin St results? TIA, because I find that insight brilliant

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Maybe Greg Marshall is a good coach with experienced players that know how to execute his game plan. This is stuff Patriot players tend to say too, doesn't mean the coaches of all their opponents suck.

But why bother, just keep it simple people, especially when your narrative is already cast in stone. You overlook much larger stuff than this, so I won't set my bar too high.

"TAKE THE STAIRS OLLIE", "PICK UP THE BALL JALEN", "THIS TEAM SUCKS" "GILBERT SUCKS ANYHOW" THE PROGRAM IS A DUMPSTER FIRE" "KIDS TRANSFERRED BECAUSE OLLIE SUCKS" "INJURIES ARE JUST EXCUSES" (but we're lucky if our opponents player is injured of course)

AND, "I ONLY WANT WHAT'S BEST FOR THE TEAM"

Nothing else really matters

PS: can anyone tell me about the most recent Coppin St results? TIA, because I find that insight brilliant
Are you KO's son?

Let me let you in on a little secret. KO is done. It is only a matter of when, not if. He was paid for his efforts in 2014 and now it is time to move on. And nothing you say here will change that.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Disagree completely. Carlton and Diarra have more offense than our other recent bigs, and I think Cobb does as well. What we don’t have p, is an offense that makes any attempt to get them the ball where they can do anything with it.

Yeah that turnaround hook when we got Carlton the ball in the lane 4 feet from the basket that didnt even make it 1/2 way to the hoop was a thing of beauty and makes me want to feed him every trip.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yeah that turnaround hook when we got Carlton the ball in the lane 4 feet from the basket that didnt even make it 1/2 way to the hoop was a thing of beauty and makes me want to feed him every trip.

He has shown some flashes of skill down there. I don't know why our guys don't dunk. It is like they aren't aware that guys in the circle can't draw a charge. They should be, since everybody else dunks on us.

pj

Reaction Score

If the players do not do what the head coach teaches them to do, then the head coach needs to apply appropriate discipline. Does KO do that?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom