"Whatever they did, we knew what was coming." | Page 2 | The Boneyard

"Whatever they did, we knew what was coming."

Reaction Score
1) Get new coach who is strong on fundamentals
2) Recruit players who can shoot, try second tier ones since all top 100 go Elsewhere
3) Have offensive plays and strategy
4) Have some inbounding plays too
5) Have players sit who make dumb plays over & over

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Equally predictable... this board's meltdown when Tulane beats us by 20 because Dunleavy, Sr. schools KO.

You think Tulane will beat us by twice as much as Wichita?

Reaction Score
Whatever we did? We didn't "do" anything other than standing around and chucking up bad shots.

Reaction Score
And yet this kid got absolutely worked all game lol

I was thinking the same thing. It sure didn't look like anyone on Wichita state had any idea at all what was coming. If not for some good 3 point shooting.....who knows. We lost to the better team, anyone complaining about coaching is just unhappy with the way things are in general. This game, no complaints. We lost to a good team.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
I was stuck on 95 and then 91 so was forced to listen to the game... What struck me is listening to Joe D call Wich st possessions compared to us. He could barely keep up with the ball movement. With us, it was him narrating whomever had the ball and the "tricky dribble" they were using to accomplish nothing. In the biggest possessions of the game it became an opportunity for our guys to take turns going one-on-one. Joe's commentary? "UConn has completely stopped moving offensively." This is on KO. The system is not conducive to the players he has. We've been saying for four -ing years and not one alteration. You can play this way when you have two ridiculous guards (Bazz or Boat) and a 6-9 guy with skill (DD). You cannot play this way with nothing else. It's beyond embarrassing that opposing players are telling the media "we know what's coming." Pisses me off something fierce.
Good point. Maybe that is why Walton runs a Geography class when he calls our games.

Reaction Score

Those old Skinner BC teams were always taught the flex offense. The flex is boring as hell to watch but it basically guarantees that all five players are involved in the offense and that you are going to get a good shot late in the shot clock.

Cooley has taken that offense to PC and uses it occasionally when the offense stalls or they take bad shots. The best thing that it does is that eliminates the temptation of someone jacking up a bad shot early in the shot clock.

Reaction Score
You think Tulane will beat us by twice as much as Wichita?
Obviously, I was being a bit hyperbolic but now that you ask, I do. Today, being on national tv, the kids atleast played hard almost to the end and kept a good offensive team below their average. Against Tulane, all bets are off. The rails can come off rather quickly and it's not like this team hasn't quit mid game before.

Reaction Score
Dead last in the nation in assists but let’s give Ollie more time because he’s young and still learning

That's not on Ollie. I know for a fact he coaches them to share the ball and pass the ball having been to couple practices over the past couple seasons. Also have had an informal conversation with KO at a barber shop where he was getting a cut. Basically said guys don't follow through on offensive sets and then try playing hero ball and that's not what he and the coaches teach them to do.

When you don't have consistent shooters or inside presence its difficult to run a fluid offense that uses the PnR a lot. The players coming in next year along with the current players being a year older should solve those issues

Reaction Score
That's not on Ollie. I know for a fact he coaches them to share the ball and pass the ball having been to couple practices over the past couple seasons. Also have had an informal conversation with KO at a barber shop where he was getting a cut. Basically said guys don't follow through on offensive sets and then try playing hero ball and that's not what he and the coaches teach them to do.
lol

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

When you don't have consistent shooters or inside presence its difficult to run a fluid offense that uses the PnR a lot. The players coming in next year along with the current players being a year older should solve those issues

Yikes. Getting your team to do what you want them to do is the whole point of coaching.

Reaction Score

Lol. This is precious. Can you imagine Calhoun whining that the guys don’t do what he told the to do? P
Maybe it happens once but by the time the finished practice at 3am they’ll likely listen next time.

Just to be sure it was a barber shop and not the car wash right?

Reaction Score
They knew that:

1. No assists were coming
2. No three point makes were coming
3. No sets were coming

Ollie should change his tagline

"Offensive prowess is for cowards"

Reaction Score

If True, they wouldn’t do that (every game) if they respected their coach.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
No kidding - if this is true it is the most stinging endictment of all. If true, he should find another profession.

"Well, we teach them what to do, then they don't do it" is a hell of a DEFENSE for him to trot.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I was stuck on 95 and then 91 so was forced to listen to the game... What struck me is listening to Joe D call Wich st possessions compared to us. He could barely keep up with the ball movement. With us, it was him narrating whomever had the ball and the "tricky dribble" they were using to accomplish nothing. In the biggest possessions of the game it became an opportunity for our guys to take turns going one-on-one. Joe's commentary? "UConn has completely stopped moving offensively." This is on KO. The system is not conducive to the players he has. We've been saying for four -ing years and not one alteration. You can play this way when you have two ridiculous guards (Bazz or Boat) and a 6-9 guy with skill (DD). You cannot play this way with nothing else. It's beyond embarrassing that opposing players are telling the media "we know what's coming." Pisses me off something fierce.

"Activity without accomplishment." - John Wooden

Reaction Score
Yikes. Getting your team to do what you want them to do is the whole point of coaching.

I would go further: getting your team to do what you want is the literal definition of coaching.

I've said it in numerous threads this season: nobody respects KO. His players ignore him or bail. Opposing players and coaches treat him like a joke ("easiest scout in the country", "we knew what was coming"). And the refs don't fear him and know an uneven whistle will be tolerated.

Reaction Score
Since UConn can't shoot. It really doesn't matter.

I don’t see it as that simplistic.

If UConn ran a motion offense to get players open, like every opponent seems to do, the UConn players would be shooting a higher %.

Put Wichita State’s players in UConn’s offense and they aren’t shooting 40+% from 3.

And put UConns players in an offense where they get open looks at threes.. they aren’t shooting 18%

Reaction Score

um, ok.

Reaction Score
I was thinking the same thing. It sure didn't look like anyone on Wichita state had any idea at all what was coming. If not for some good 3 point shooting.....who knows. We lost to the better team, anyone complaining about coaching is just unhappy with the way things are in general. This game, no complaints. We lost to a good team.
That’s why they double teamed everyone driving to the basket. Knew they would probably not pass.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom