What you don't (but need to) know about Big 12 conference realignment (CBS Dodd) | The Boneyard

What you don't (but need to) know about Big 12 conference realignment (CBS Dodd)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

The dumbest posters on this board have more insight than that stupid article. Dodd doesn't understand finance, law or the business of media, so he talks about brand and inventory, which are tertiary at best reasons for any league to expand. He doesn't understand why the Big 10 expanded, which means he also doesn't understand why the SEC added Missouri or the Pac 12 added Utah and Colorado.

Reaction Score
The dumbest posters on this board have more insight than that stupid article. Dodd doesn't understand finance, law or the business of media, so he talks about brand and inventory, which are tertiary at best reasons for any league to expand. He doesn't understand why the Big 10 expanded, which means he also doesn't understand why the SEC added Missouri or the Pac 12 added Utah and Colorado.

Feels like his editors told him he needed to write something about realignment because it's being discussed, but he has no sources or other information so he phoned it in.

Reaction Score
I'll take that as a compliment, thanks. :)

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Reading Dodd articles on expansion always causes me to flashback to April 2010 – and reminds me that we’ve been suffering for way too long – when Dodd said that UConn was the 2nd best option for the B1G to get to 12 (Notre Dame was his # 1 pick). I can’t find his article on CBSsports any longer (link doesn’t work – unless it’s archived elsewhere) – maybe Dodd was sick of UConn fans linking him to his own words, but the UConn blog summarized it below.

http://www.theuconnblog.com/2010/4/19/1431247/the-big-ten-expansion-and-uconn

Perhaps the simplest hypothetical would be what CBS's Dennis Dodd was getting at today when he listed UConn as the Big Ten's second best prospect (!). Dodd's theory involves the Big Ten looking to capture the northeast market by grabbing the triumvirate of Rutgers, Syracuse and UConn as part of a 14- or 16-team expansion (which still doesn't excuse Dodd ranking UConn as 2, instead of say, 'Cuse).

Also, found this gem during my search from the same time period… LOL if Adam Rittenberg or any of those ESPN bloggers were asked today about UConn as an expansion prospect his response would be a complete 180 from the below.

Big Ten mailblog

April, 20, 2010

4/20/10

5:30

PM ET

By Adam Rittenberg | ESPN.com

Shane from Scranton, Pa., writes:Adam,Connecticut seems to be the rumor of the day. Is it any more than a rumor? What about expanding only on connecting member states? I think UConn is a solid add, but I hope they can add a solid football program as well.

AR: I heard some buzz about Connecticut during my travels around the Big Ten, and there seems to be some interest there. It's a school with a favorable location, TV wise, in the Northeast. It has good academics, two powerhouse basketball programs and a football program that has become relevant very quickly under Randy Edsall. There's no rule about the Big Ten having to add teams that connect to the current league footprint. That's an incorrect assumption made by a lot of people.

Reaction Score
Any article regarding Big 12 expansion without mentioning UConn is not worth reading.

I don't know if we're getting in or not, but it's pretty clear we're at least a serious candidate. The guy mentions Houston and Memphis but not UConn.

Waste of time.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Honestly, and I don't mean to sound pompous (but I'm sure it will), I don't think there is a fanbase in the entire country more educated on CR nonsense than UConn fans. We are, without question, a P5 school stuck in the G5 mud. As a whole, we almost follow this bullspit as closely as we follow our football and basketball teams. Other fanbases may dabble in CR talk from time to time when rumors start about their conference expanding, but we live this crap day in and day out 24/7/365. Dennis Dodd and scores of other national writers do not so, naturally, they write stock pieces about CR just to satisfy their editors or segment of readers who do.

Any one of us can write a better CR article than about 95% of the stuff you will find out there across the country. The only difference separating us and an accredited journalist is that they have the ability to attach quotes to things. However, as we all know, CR stories never have quotes of substance from anyone since all of these discussions are held in a private, secure manner. So, like I said, there is really no difference in what we write here and what Dennis Dodd or others write across the country other than the obvious omission of the G5's true heavyweight: UConn.

Reaction Score
More, I'd argue. And that's saying something.

If we ever get into a P5, mostly I'll just feel relieved that it can finally be about the games again and not all this meta garbage surrounding them.

Completely agree with you and Dooley. One of the things I've noticed is that on the whole, our AAC opponents have weak message boards. A few have no message board worth visiting, and the others have just a few fanatics that post. I look forward to being able to check opponents' message boards in the future to get to know their teams and something about their fan bases.

Reaction Score
Honestly, and I don't mean to sound pompous (but I'm sure it will), I don't think there is a fanbase in the entire country more educated on CR nonsense than UConn fans. We are, without question, a P5 school stuck in the G5 mud. As a whole, we almost follow this bullspit as closely as we follow our football and basketball teams. Other fanbases may dabble in CR talk from time to time when rumors start about their conference expanding, but we live this crap day in and day out 24/7/365. Dennis Dodd and scores of other national writers do not so, naturally, they write stock pieces about CR just to satisfy their editors or segment of readers who do.

Any one of us can write a better CR article than about 95% of the stuff you will find out there across the country. The only difference separating us and an accredited journalist is that they have the ability to attach quotes to things. However, as we all know, CR stories never have quotes of substance from anyone since all of these discussions are held in a private, secure manner. So, like I said, there is really no difference in what we write here and what Dennis Dodd or others write across the country other than the obvious omission of the G5's true heavyweight: UConn.

We are knowledgeable about CR because we are indignant that we were passed over in favor of unaccomplished and questionable expansion additions. (pick the school) We are outraged that we still have to deal with this crap, while undeserving "P5" members reap financial windfalls.

But we'll get there. And when we do we'll have a chip on our shoulder the size of Gilbraltar!

Reaction Score
I think Dodd sees the world through burnt orange colored glasses.

Totally agree, there is a complete UT slant on this piece.

There is a reason UConn was mysteriously not mentioned in Dodd's article. It is because UConn's demographics make a potential B12 network more financially attractive. Amazingly the most attractive network team, UConn, was not mentioned....I am sure that was just an oversight.

The more I see of the anti-expansion campaign in the B12 (lead by UT) the less confident I am that expansion is coming. Somehow Boren has become the bad guy but he is the only one calling it like it is....the B12 needs to expand, it needs to reach new population sectors and it needs a network...it is not that tough to figure out. Boren is just the messenger.

Reaction Score
About UConn fans having the honor of being the best informed fan base on CR An honor I would gladly relinquish with a P5 bid
Our title remind me of the Mark Twain quote
On a man who was tarred and feathered and run out town on a rail
" Except for the honor of it I would just a soon had walked"

Reaction Score
Weak article... Talks about a possible network and not enough population. Byu and cincy don't bring enough juice. No other options. No other state flagship U about 100 miles from NYC that's already proven it can drive NY eyeballs. Hmmmmm.
So I guess that's it. Call it a day boys.

Reaction Score
the title of the article, now that i think about it, is kind of hilarious

someone should send him the info Dooley compiled, and use the same title

Reaction Score
The audio by Gottlieb was actually more worthwhile. "Pods would have to have WVU, Cincy, and UConn..."
As for the article, the title mentioned something about what we don't know...I must have skimmed the article too quickly because I missed it.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Props again to Dooley. He is killing Dodd on twitter. Dooley for President, 2016!!!!!!

Dodd really knows nothing about expansion but has a lot of followers so he needs to be educated. And yes, I do have work to do (for my job) that I have put off while we introduce Dodd to the idea of a B12 Network and the value that UConn football, yes football, would bring.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
@Dooley, your tweet to Dodd says UConn has more players in the NFL than Notre Dame but the article you linked showed ND with 28 and UConn with 17. I think you meant to say more than any G5 and many of P5

Dooley

Reaction Score
@Dooley, your tweet to Dodd says UConn has more players in the NFL than Notre Dame but the article you linked showed ND with 28 and UConn with 17. I think you meant to say more than any G5 and many of P5

I need to change the narrative on that one: most NFL alum on Week 1 rosters. Not currently. Still impressive, especially as the article suggests, that this follows a few dismal seasons in East Hartford.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ams-with-the-most-alums-on-nfl-week-1-rosters

» The non-Power 5 conference school (plus Notre Dame) with the most players currently in the NFL? This one might surprise you. It's not Boise State, Fresno State, Central Florida, or any of the powerhouses of the MAC. It's Connecticut. UConn had 17 players players on 53-man Week 1 NFL rosters. That's impressive stuff for a program that hasn't won more than five games in a season since 2010 -- including a dismal 2-10 campaign in 2014. Coming out of that two-win season, UConn produced a first-round draft pick in 2015, cornerback Byron Jones. In the past three drafts, UConn had nine players drafted. That's more than high-profile traditional powers such as Texas (5), Auburn (7), Michigan (7), Tennessee (7) and Miami (8).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom