What you don't (but need to) know about Big 12 conference realignment (CBS Dodd) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What you don't (but need to) know about Big 12 conference realignment (CBS Dodd)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I need to change the narrative on that one: most NFL alum on Week 1 rosters. Not currently. Still impressive, especially as the article suggests, that this follows a few dismal seasons in East Hartford.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ams-with-the-most-alums-on-nfl-week-1-rosters

» The non-Power 5 conference school (plus Notre Dame) with the most players currently in the NFL? This one might surprise you. It's not Boise State, Fresno State, Central Florida, or any of the powerhouses of the MAC. It's Connecticut. UConn had 17 players players on 53-man Week 1 NFL rosters. That's impressive stuff for a program that hasn't won more than five games in a season since 2010 -- including a dismal 2-10 campaign in 2014. Coming out of that two-win season, UConn produced a first-round draft pick in 2015, cornerback Byron Jones. In the past three drafts, UConn had nine players drafted. That's more than high-profile traditional powers such as Texas (5), Auburn (7), Michigan (7), Tennessee (7) and Miami (8).

Man, Pasqualoni really was worthless.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
it's Stoors!!! Just like Coor's.

I was going to correct that but figured I had to get to the more important stuff first, like educating a sports writer about sports.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Props again to Dooley. He is killing Dodd on twitter. Dooley for President, 2016!!!!!!
I looked but can't find this can someone copy it to the board?

(Yeah, I'm pretty Twitter illiterate.)

Reaction Score
it's Stoors!!! Just like Coor's.
Best indicator that this jackass has a little bit of knowledge but not a lot. He knows it's not spelled "Stores", but not how it's actually spelled. So he guessed "Stoors"

Truly he's plugged into the college athletics landscape.

Reaction Score
It really is amazing how the national media is so desperately against further expansion after being nothing but cheerleaders for it a few years ago.

Also for the fact that any expansion is fodder for countless articles and news reports on the topic.

Reaction Score
Dodd clearly has a high opinion of BYU. All of his Tweets this AM have been pro-BYU from a UT perspective.

And this gem not too long ago:

I mean, what the does that even mean?

Reaction Score
It means that he doesn't understand the relationship that the baptist community has with the mormon community.
Or that the other Texas schools vote whatever way Texas tells them to vote.

But anyway, come on guys he's "just sayin"

Reaction Score
Or that the other Texas schools vote whatever way Texas tells them to vote.

But anyway, come on guys he's "just sayin"

I'm pretty sure that "just sayin" and "nuff said" have the same definition, which is "I'm a moron with no rhetorical skills."

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I truly have no idea why he would even bring that up in the first place. Private school voting blocks are going to influence expansion?? I guess anything is possible according to Rule #1, but man that would be a new all-time low reason for why UConn would be passed over again. The famed ACC private school voting block did a heckuva job blocking ACC CCG deregulation, eh?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Totally agree, there is a complete UT slant on this piece.

There is a reason UConn was mysteriously not mentioned in Dodd's article. It is because UConn's demographics make a potential B12 network more financially attractive. Amazingly the most attractive network team, UConn, was not mentioned....I am sure that was just an oversight.

The more I see of the anti-expansion campaign in the B12 (lead by UT) the less confident I am that expansion is coming. Somehow Boren has become the bad guy but he is the only one calling it like it is....the B12 needs to expand, it needs to reach new population sectors and it needs a network...it is not that tough to figure out. Boren is just the messenger.

I'll add some questions that shed some light on this for me. Who does Dodd work for? Do they have UConn basketball content now, super cheap I might add? Will they if we go to the Big XII?

Reaction Score
The most entertaining part of Dodd's piece and his subsequent twitter comments is it shows a complete misunderstanding of conference realignment.

Dodd's theory on expansion goes something like: 1. Football is king, it is all that matters 2. Teams that have better football teams are more valuable.

So lets break it down:

1. Football is king for conference realignment. This is unequivocally false. Money is king. Football is more important than other sports because there is more money involved. Conference realignment is about money...not football. UT fans may rather watch UT-Cincinnati than UT-UConn in football but if 8 million new cable subscribers are paying because of UConn then UConn is king.

2. Better football teams are more valuable to a conference. This is absolutely false. Baylor has been a far superior team to UT the last 5 years Is Baylor a more valuable program than UT? For the UT fans who will scream they have "football history" over Baylor lets spin it another way. Oklahoma is arguably a more historically successful football program than UT. Does that make OU more valuable than UT?

Bottom Line is fans' willingness to pay to watch their team drives a program's expansion value and a network significantly shift the financial advantages to flagship schools in high population states. UT is worth more than OU and Baylor because it has more fans who will pay money to see them (or are being forced to as a cable subscribers carrying the LHN). Winning helps drive demand but a losing UT is still worth more money than a winning TCU. Flagship state schools are the ultimate conference value because they draw an entire state fan base (not just alumni or townees) and are required additions for a network.

It never ceases to amaze me the SEC/BIG are cleaning up with this system and the ACC/Big12 still can't figure it out. Obviously Dodd must be their advisor.....one can only hope the B12 consultants are smarter than sports writers.

The above is what Dodd "doesn't but needs to know about Big12 conference realignment."

Reaction Score
The most entertaining part of Dodd's piece and his subsequent twitter comments is it shows a complete misunderstanding of conference realignment.

Dodd's theory on expansion goes something like: 1. Football is king, it is all that matters 2. Teams that have better football teams are more valuable.

So lets break it down:

1. Football is king for conference realignment. This is unequivocally false. Money is king. Football is more important than other sports because there is more money involved. Conference realignment is about money...not football. UT fans may rather watch UT-Cincinnati than UT-UConn in football but if 8 million new cable subscribers are paying because of UConn then UConn is king.

2. Better football teams are more valuable to a conference. This is absolutely false. Baylor has been a far superior team to UT the last 5 years Is Baylor a more valuable program than UT? For the UT fans who will scream they have "football history" over Baylor lets spin it another way. Oklahoma is arguably a more historically successful football program than UT. Does that make OU more valuable than UT?

Bottom Line is fans' willingness to pay to watch their team drives a program's expansion value and a network significantly shift the financial advantages to flagship schools in high population states. UT is worth more than OU and Baylor because it has more fans who will pay money to see them (or are being forced to as a cable subscribers carrying the LHN). Winning helps drive demand but a losing UT is still worth more money than a winning TCU. Flagship state schools are the ultimate conference value because they draw an entire state fan base (not just alumni or townees) and are required additions for a network.

It never ceases to amaze me the SEC/BIG are cleaning up with this system and the ACC/Big12 still can't figure it out. Obviously Dodd must be their advisor.....one can only hope the B12 consultants are smarter than sports writers.

The above is what Dodd "doesn't but needs to know about Big12 conference realignment."
I wish this could be tweeted to Dood.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Some people learn at different rates. CR-wise... Dodd has been held back a year or two.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Some people learn at different rates. CR-wise... Dodd has been held back a year or two.
man-in-dunce-cap.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01