What Would You Do? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What Would You Do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I don't think it was really about injuries, and certainly not hoping that an injury would occur to improve another team's chances. It was a comment on being abandoned by a school after a commitment was made and a recruit thinking about all aspects of the decision making process.

Exactly. Easy, DD. Wallman is one of the good guys; very knowledgeable on the game and the HS/AAU scene.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Of course I wasn't but every family should consider all possibilities when deciding what school to go to, along with many other scenarios, I always tell people to think about the school and place you go to that you would see yourself if you couldn't play any more. After all this isn 't the pros where they are guaranteed money, trusting the university and it's coach would be paramount in my thinking. How can you trust a coach who offers that many only to oust other players, this is college ball.

Would Silvia have ousted Doty to make way for DD? Geno certainly wouldn't have.

I tried to edit my post to "what if" as that is The meaning of my post, those who know me, know I am a fan of all ball not a fanatic for 1 team.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Exactly. Easy, DD. Wallman is one of the good guys; very knowledgeable on the game and the HS/AAU scene.

Fair enough. I trust you.

But there are other scenarios that you can use besides injury.

BooRadley

CPL Boo, USMC
Reaction Score
It really isn't a hard call.

I agree... sadly, from my little perch here in CT, it appears that the Inter-National Society of the Ethically Challenged Troglodyte Simpletons (INSECTS) is a group on the rise...

DISCLAIMER: This post was not designed to insult or demean any real person. This post was designed to comply with BY posting standards referring to fictional characters like the trog cavemen(INSECTS) that live under my back porch. Just ten minutes of watching them eat the bugs that they pick off one another will bring you around to posts like this one... Take it from me, they're a very bothersome bunch, even when one sets aside their horrendous ethics...

Your Ol' Pal Boo

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I tried to edit my post to "what if" as that is The meaning of my post, those who know me, know I am a fan of all ball not a fanatic for 1 team.
I fiddled with the post to change it to what I believe you meant to say.

BooRadley

CPL Boo, USMC
Reaction Score
I thought we weren't supposed to talk about religion here. Does mentioning bad karma make the karma badder?

Back in the 60's, I had this wonderful little girlfriend that drove a wreck of a Karmann Ghia... The only thing that she did that, even in the smallest way, annoyed me was her inability to drive 20 miles without stopping to pee... So, what do you think? Was it her Karma Bladder?

Your Ol' Pal "Iron Bladder" Boo

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Thanks Nan, I appreciate that, my point was that really if these girls thought everything through and wanted to go to UNC then alls well and good and I look forward to watching them play as I do Uconn, Duke etc etc.

However, I am not a karma type of guy, I think life is what you make it and "sh... Happens", if there was really karma there would be a lot of politicians homeless right now.

My problem is with ethics and integrity and sure if Hatchell had told every recruit thAt she was only interested in them until they found someone better, then so be it, but I doubt that happened.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Thanks Nan, I appreciate that, my point was that really if these girls thought everything through and wanted to go to UNC then alls well and good and I look forward to watching them play as I do Uconn, Duke etc etc.
I've got a teenager looking at colleges right now (not for athletics, though). Every time he sees it school, it looks GREAT! He's 17 and he only sees the stuff he wants to see. That's the nature of teenagers, though. It's up to my husband and me to walk him through the process and point out things he may not have considered. While he will make the final decision, and I'll honor it no matter what he decides, I know he'll make that choice after due consideration.

My question is, have the adults in the young womens' lives been able to get all facts necessary to help their daughters? Are they aware of the scholarship situation, a possible playing time crunch, and all the other things that go into choosing a college (college life, academics, distance from home, etc)? The situation just seems so driven by the desires of the young ladies who may or may not have had the benefit of well-informed counsel by their elders that I am concerned for them.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Does receiving an offer from a university include a signed piece of paper? Even if it is just verbal it could be legally binding. If I am a shyster lawyer I would be tempted to get in touch with all these families. The offer includes a significant financial commitment, and by the nature of the number of commiotments accepted UNC does not have the ability to meet all its obligations.

Reaction Score
Does receiving an offer from a university include a signed piece of paper? Even if it is just verbal it could be legally binding. If I am a shyster lawyer I would be tempted to get in touch with all these families. The offer includes a significant financial commitment, and by the nature of the number of commiotments accepted UNC does not have the ability to meet all its obligations.

UCMiami, I'm sure you didn't know this, but the term "shyster" is considered an anti-semitic slur. Apparently (having just looked it up!) there is some dispute as to the true origins of the term and it may have an innocent etymology. But the interpretation as a slur has become so common, that I think it's best to avoid it.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I've got a teenager looking at colleges right now (not for athletics, though). Every time he sees it school, it looks GREAT! He's 17 and he only sees the stuff he wants to see. That's the nature of teenagers, though. It's up to my husband and me to walk him through the process and point out things he may not have considered. While he will make the final decision, and I'll honor it no matter what he decides, I know he'll make that choice after due consideration.

My question is, have the adults in the young womens' lives been able to get all facts necessary to help their daughters? Are they aware of the scholarship situation, a possible playing time crunch, and all the other things that go into choosing a college (college life, academics, distance from home, etc)? The situation just seems so driven by the desires of the young ladies who may or may not have had the benefit of well-informed counsel by their elders that I am concerned for them.
Spot on, Nan.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

I'm more concerned with the kids that DID make an informed decision last year and the year before only to have their world turned upside down by the class of 2013.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
UCMiami, I'm sure you didn't know this, but the term "shyster" is considered an anti-semitic slur. Apparently (having just looked it up!) there is some dispute as to the true origins of the term and it may have an innocent etymology. But the interpretation as a slur has become so common, that I think it's best to avoid it.
Wow - OK and thanks. I had never heard that and certainly did not mean it in that way. Never knew it had any ethnic connotation. If a mod wants to edit my post?

BooRadley

CPL Boo, USMC
Reaction Score

SueBird10fan, I'm sure you didn't know this, but the term word "term" is considered an anti-incarcerated slur. Apparently (having just looked it up!) there is some dispute as to the true origins of the term word and it may have an innocent etymology. But the interpretation as a slur has become so common, that I think it's best to avoid it.

Tomorrow, the following words will also be considered slurs: Peanut, Butter, Peanut-Butter, Orange-Juice, OJ(this one is long overdue for obvious reasons), wig, toilet, and broom. Be careful to stay up with the approved list of words NOT to be uttered. We at the Central Speech Police Headquarters assure you the word "word" will remain on the approved list throughout 2012.

Your Ol' Word-Cop Pal Boo

Reaction Score
SueBird10fan, I'm sure you didn't know this, but the term word "term" is considered an anti-incarcerated slur. Apparently (having just looked it up!) there is some dispute as to the true origins of the term word and it may have an innocent etymology. But the interpretation as a slur has become so common, that I think it's best to avoid it.

Tomorrow, the following words will also be considered slurs: Peanut, Butter, Peanut-Butter, Orange-Juice, OJ(this one is long overdue for obvious reasons), wig, toilet, and broom. Be careful to stay up with the approved list of words NOT to be uttered. We at the Central Speech Police Headquarters assure you the word "word" will remain on the approved list throughout 2012.

WTF?

Reaction Score

Just out of curiosity are all ethnic and racial slurs ok in your book Boo?

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
My former son-in-law, who shall remain nameless (because he is a b_____d) had a great line about why men in general are reluctant to commit to a relationship. He said that we are all afraid that just about the time we say "I do" we will look out into the crowd and see the perfect woman;"Oh, Oh, wait a minute; I didn't see HER!" Seems sort of the same way with Sylvia, huh?

BooRadley

CPL Boo, USMC
Reaction Score
Just out of curiosity are all ethnic and racial slurs ok in your book Boo?

No, I don't like ethnic or racial slurs anymore than any other reasonable person. I would just like to stick to opposing actual slurs and not seek to create more words for us to taboo which then can be used to increase the pain inflicted on those among us that are the target of bias and hatred.

Haven't we saturated enough words with painful meaning to satisfy you? How about not looking to create more.... In my humble opinion your position does nothing but to ratchet up the sensitivity meter to ridiculous levels... What you posted is silliness in it's full grandeur. And please do remember tomorrow's list of unacceptable words....

Your Ol' Pal Boo

Reaction Score
No, I don't like ethnic or racial slurs anymore than any other reasonable person. I would just like to stick to opposing actual slurs and not seek to create more words for us to taboo which then can be used to increase the pain inflicted on those among us that are the target of bias and hatred.

Haven't we saturated enough words with painful meaning to satisfy you? How about not looking to create more.... In my humble opinion your position does nothing but to ratchet up the sensitivity meter to ridiculous levels... What you posted is silliness in it's full grandeur. And please do remember tomorrow's list of unacceptable words....

Your Ol' Pal Boo

Shyster IS an ethnic slur Boo. I was trying to be gentle in my original comment, but it's a slur pure and simple.

BooRadley

CPL Boo, USMC
Reaction Score
Shyster IS an ethnic slur Boo. I was trying to be gentle in my original comment, but it's a slur pure and simple.

I looked through several online dictionaries and none of them support your position. That purveyor of slurs, Merriam-Webster defines the word as follows: SHYSTER: a person who is professionally unscrupulous especially in the practice of law or politics : pettifogger
Merriam-Webster: Origin of SHYSTER: probably from German Scheisser, literally, defecator
First Known Use: 1844

Wikipedia: Wiki: Etymology

The etymology of the word is not generally agreed upon. The Merriam-Webster Dictionary says it is based on the German Scheißer (literally "defecator" but also used to refer to deceivers),[1] but the Oxford English Dictionary describes it as "of obscure origin", possibly deriving from a historical sense of "shy" meaning disreputable.[2] Various false etymologies have proposed an anti-Semitic origin, and some people continue to regard the word as referring particularly to Jews or Jewish lawyers.

You have your beliefs and I have mine... I still can't for the life of me understand why this world needs to embue more words with hatred... it seems to me that we have more than enough to hurt people...

Your Ol' Pal Boo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer