What Would Be Your Definition of Success in Fresno? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What Would Be Your Definition of Success in Fresno?

What Would Be Your Definition of Success in Fresno? Where would you set the bar?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I want to be entertained and not fast forward through much of the game.
Not watching live?

Reaction Score
I get sick of seeing UConn Football fans "settling" for a moral victory. You guys do it all the time and this poll is the perfect example. How about just a victory. My definition for success in any football game is a win. Anything else is a failure and a loss.

Reaction Score
I get sick of seeing UConn Football fans "settling" for a moral victory. You guys do it all the time and this poll is the perfect example. How about just a victory. My definition for success in any football game is a win. Anything else is a failure and a loss.
Think I explained what we are after. Not success, but progress.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Not watching live?
No. Unfortunately, I can't. My son's birthday party is from 12-2:00. Then we were invited to another party in the afternoon.

Husky25

Reaction Score
If only UConn could get coaches like George DeLeone and Paul Pasqualoni, with a wide open offense and swarming D.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I question your commitment.
Wait til you fully process that I'm only tailgating for about an hour before the game vs. the College of the Holy Cross. ;)

Reaction Score
Hold Fresno under 40. Score over 20. Some big plays on offense. Some stops and a couple of turnovers on defense. Some decent punt returns. A 55 yard fake, fake field goal.

Reaction Score
Being the first game this team has played in 21 months, I'm gonna be careful not to read too much into it if we get destroyed, but I'm just hoping we're competitive into the 2nd half.

Reaction Score
I want to win and I’ve convinced myself that we can. Dry heat isn’t that bad as long as you hydrate like crazy. Edsall finds talent. I’d like to think we are more talented than anyone expects. Randy seems to think we have talent and depth though it is admittedly young talent.

Reaction Score
I’m hoping this is the mindset of the team, too. You guys remind me of the people who think everybody should get a trophy and we should give academic awards to the kids who get Cs because they need the encouragement.

Conditions are tough. It hasn’t exactly been all tropical breezes around here for the past 2 weeks.

it’s a long trip. They flew, they didn’t jog there. NESCAC teams bus longer than this trips every week of the season practically.

we haven’t played in 2 years. Well we should damn well be well rested.

As Lombardi used to say winning isn’t everything. It’s the only thing.

In all seriousness, though I expect to be competent and competitive.

Reaction Score
If only UConn could get coaches like George DeLeone and Paul Pasqualoni, with a wide open offense and swarming D.
Well I heard George’s apartment is available for sublease…with wallpaper intact.

Reaction Score
So in an earlier post about the Fresno game, there was a post that the Huskies would wilt early because they won't be used to the heat wave on the left coast. Um, the 100 degree, 99% humidity that we've endured for the last few weeks would debunk that theory! The players are chomping at the bit to smash those in an opposing uniform. Huskies win outright.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I’m hoping this is the mindset of the team, too. You guys remind me of the people who think everybody should get a trophy and we should give academic awards to the kids who get Cs because they need the encouragement.

Conditions are tough. It hasn’t exactly been all tropical breezes around here for the past 2 weeks.

it’s a long trip. They flew, they didn’t jog there. NESCAC teams bus longer than this trips every week of the season practically.

Fans do not have a direct or active roll on the team. Particularly for road games. Of course this should be the program's mindset. They should never be looking for a moral victory.

Fans are fanatical, but can afford to be more realistic. Fans can pick and choose the bright spots that justify future program support.

The fans who @weyuo is actually complaining about includes the 25-28,000 who used to fill the now empty seats at Rentschler.

Reaction Score
A lot of performative machismo going on in this thread. I don't think the OP was confused as to what winning and losing in football means. Maybe he could have used the words "an encouraging result" instead of "success," but, given the fact that a victory is not at all realistic, you know darn well that he meant the former.

Reaction Score

You guys are gonna be a lot of fun for the Clemson game.

Reaction Score
The easy answer is win the damn game. The acceptable one at this moment in time is look like you belong on the same field. Fresno is not a good team. They were mediocre in a below average conference. Make it a contest. Get boat raced and I’m afraid it will be more of the same that we saw over the last few seasons.

Reaction Score
Of course we all want them to win the game. Is it really necessary to bring in the same old "No moral victories, no participation trophies" cliches? But let's be realistic. You've seen this program the last decade. It's been a nightmare of historic proportions. Showing any improvement - win or lose - is progress.

You know our last win oven an FBS school (not including UMess, which I wouldn't really count as FBS anyway) was over a lousy Tulsa team in October 2017? That was 4 years and 29 games ago. Yes, it's been that awful. They've been completely incompetent and unwatchable. So do you really not get the point the OP was trying to make or are you just pretending not to?

Even in losses you try to extract some positives. That's what teams do and that's what fans do. So if they win Saturday, great. If they lose, it'll suck no matter what but you try to find some bright spots. There's 11 more games after this. Long way to go for this team to keep improving.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I understand the point about winning being the only metric of success. That point is made by many who who see the world as binary or black or white with no shades in between.

The other way to look at it is that given UConn's recent football history, focus on small steps. In hockey this is call "one shift at a time". Forget about the score, concentrate on winning this shift. So a good small step in this case is beating the spread. Getting at least competitive against the spread would be an indicator.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I understand the point about winning being the only metric of success. That point is made by many who who see the world as binary or black or white with no shades in between.

The other way to look at it is that given UConn's recent football history, focus on small steps. In hockey this is call "one shift at a time". Forget about the score, concentrate on winning this shift. So a good small step in this case is beating the spread. Getting at least competitive against the spread would be an indicator.
Bob? Is that you? ;)

UConn was undefeated at breakfast from 2014-2016.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
My wife not telling me during the game "you never learn".
Tell her that her ass has gotten fat @ a half hour before the game. That should get you a few quality hours of silence from her, and possibly significantly more.

You're welcome.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom