What will Samson Johnson bring to the team when he returns? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What will Samson Johnson bring to the team when he returns?

Reaction Score
Then I’m expecting a fat bonus this season. Some of y’all don’t realize just how good Samson is/can be. Man’s got talent and is an athletic 6’10”, 215. He’ll contribute immensely this season once he’s back.
Hope youre right but i have yet to see anything from him to think he`ll have much impact. Hope he does because with him contributing (rebounds, blocks, defense) and Diarra and Alleyne coming on over the last two games this team gets even better.

Reaction Score
And he has a 7’5” wingspan. AK struggled against the long, 6’10” wings and Samson will help a lot with that.

Let me know who those 6’10 wings were he struggled against?

Reaction Score
Then I’m expecting a fat bonus this season. Some of y’all don’t realize just how good Samson is/can be. Man’s got talent and is an athletic 6’10”, 215. He’ll contribute immensely this season once he’s back.

Where did you see all this immense talent? I mean a ceiling, maybe. But any games he’s played in as a Husky hasn’t shown any immense talent as a matter of fact foul trouble and lack of understanding where to be defensively has been the majority.

Reaction Score
He's another 6'10'' gazelle who will beat some opponets down the floor. He gives them depth at the one spot they need it. I'm not sure what he gives them this year, but he's a talented young man. He has size, speed and recalling his high school play, he can step out and shoot the 3. He won't be a clogger when he comes in.
I think playing with Karaban, Clingan and Sanogo, his spacing of the floor will only get better. We don't need him to be an instant superstar. If he can give them some solid minutes and be smart when he's in there, Hurley will be thrilled. It may also let Hurley take a chance to put Clingan and Sanogo on the floor together if just for a few minutes giving the team another look.

Reaction Score
He gonna add to our depth. He gonna be just fine. People forget he was chosen to start, and it wasn’t by accident. If I recall him and Jordan Hawkins lit Virginia up. He had to be doing something right to get the nod to be a starter. Karaban been great. He plays ALOT though. They gonna be able to keep each other fresh for sure.

Reaction Score
Where did you see all this immense talent? I mean a ceiling, maybe. But any games he’s played in as a Husky hasn’t shown any immense talent as a matter of fact foul trouble and lack of understanding where to be defensively has been the majority.

Ok sure very high ceiling. Samson’s got major potential with his physical attributes. Hurley has also repeatedly said he has “wall potential”. We’ve had a limited sample size but I think he has the ability to make a significant contribution this season. I am excited to see Slamson on the court!

Reaction Score
He gonna add to our depth. He gonna be just fine. People forget he was chosen to start, and it wasn’t by accident. If I recall him and Jordan Hawkins lit Virginia up. He had to be doing something right to get the nod to be a starter. Karaban been great. He plays ALOT though. They gonna be able to keep each other fresh for sure.
I thought Virginia was a secret scrimmage that wasn't open to the public. Unless you were somehow there, where does this recollection come from?

Reaction Score
He showed enough in the off season for Hurley to make him a starter. That should count for something.

Reaction Score
Watching those highlights you forget that he’s so skilled. Alex could be a bit less tired in crunch time when he has to knock down important shots if he gets some extra rest and we haven’t been dominant rebounding lately so maybe that.

Reaction Score
I’d like to see Springs for a few minutes when the other team is pounding us on the boards and in the paint. Just curious what it’d have looked like with Springs helping Adama in the paint last night.
That’s nice. There are a lot of things I want that I won’t get.

Seriously, why are we talking about Springs? Do we really need Colombo to come in in his trench coat to figure out that the staff does not think he can help the team by being on the floor?

Reaction Score
That’s nice. There are a lot of things I want that I won’t get.

Seriously, why are we talking about Springs? Do we really need Colombo to come in in his trench coat to figure out that the staff does not think he can help the team by being on the floor?
This. Love what he brings to the program but clearly the coaching staff thinks he is not good enough to be playing real minutes. We’ve seen some games with Samson out and Karaban getting pushed around while playing heavy minutes, and Springs has barely sniffed the floor. Going to go out on a limb and say the coaching staff knows what they’re doing and aren’t complete idiots.

Reaction Score
To me the real question is, regardless of injury, will he be able to figure out how to play without fouling? He committed almost 9 fouls per 40 last year, and in 1 game this year against a bad Stonehill team he committed 4 fouls in 16 minutes. So…..yeah, that’s no good. Throw in the rust and reduced conditioning that comes along with his injury, and if we’re being realistic it seems most likely what we’ll get from him is minimal minutes before he commits a foul and Karaban comes back in.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
He’ll be a good energy guy off the bench in select spots. Hustle and defense.

You can’t take Karaban’s minutes away.

Need to take some of them away. As others have mentioned already, Karaban leads the team in mpg. Not ideal. Let Johnson go for a 3-4 minute run each half. 6-8 mpg is all the team needs from him.

If he comes back and is ready to perform at its peak, that is a problem Hurley and his staff will love having to figure out.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Does he have much offensive ability? Is he considered a good shooter at all?
Yes, he can hit 3s. Has since high school. He was Adama's teammate and they play well together, communicate well (in French if needed). He's long, athletic, can run and block shots. He can dribble well for his height and can play out on offense. He's not the shooter Alex is, or the passer. But he's a better rebounder and rim protector, would have been very helpful against guys like Slater for Nova.

Reaction Score
Samson is listed at 6-10 215. In comparison Springs is listed at 6-9 235, Alex 6-8 210, and Andre is 6-6 210. Samson is taller but he is not bringing a bigger body Into the mix. This is a yard false narrative. He is bringing minutes and fouls, maybe. Anything else is a bonus.

Danny loves what Alex brings to the floor. If you need a bigger body and fouls, it would seem that Springs is your guy, yet he is not seeing the floor.
He’s a better shot blocker & perimiter defender can switch on def to guard 1-5 with his size & athleticism he creates a vertical threat on lobs which is gonna help our guard on r&p drives (ie clingan ) he’s def a big bonus & I believe the last piece this teams needs for #5

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

You have to, he's playing way more minutes than he's able to, effectively. He's also playing where the matchup is problematic for him. He's a very good player. Samson is a very good player. They'll both play, and we have better situational lineups. They may both play together too.

Reaction Score
Yes, he can hit 3s. Has since high school. He was Adama's teammate and they play well together, communicate well (in French if needed). He's long, athletic, can run and block shots. He can dribble well for his height and can play out on offense. He's not the shooter Alex is, or the passer. But he's a better rebounder and rim protector, would have been very helpful against guys like Slater for Nova.

He’s a better shot blocker & perimiter defender can switch on def to guard 1-5 with his size & athleticism he creates a vertical threat on lobs which is gonna help our guard on r&p drives (ie clingan ) he’s def a big bonus & I believe the last piece this teams needs for #5
These takes are hilarious. Reading them you almost forget he’s a guy with more fouls than rebounds in his career, who’s also 1/5 from 3.

Reaction Score
Don't see this as a AK vs SJ thing.. AK has been tremendously valuable and brings his own unique skill set to the table and uses it quite effectively. Apparently.. The coaching staff had seen enough improvement/development over the summer to reward SJ with the starter's position(pre-injury). I'm excited to see what he can bring to our rotations as a complementary piece. Do not see him taking huge minutes from AK at this time based on AK's evolving impact on the team.. From a roster development perspective.. A rested AK and giving SJ some minutes can only help down the road come Tournament time. As DH says.. players dictate their PT based on performance.. Not him.

A win/win.. Got to think long game

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Height-Hops-5 Fouls-Disruptive shot-blocking.. Works for me.

Right. Bring him in and tell him to go all out and not worry about managing his fouls or energy. Just be aggressive for a few minutes each half.

This isn't Arkansas with Nolan Richardson and 40 minutes of hell but Hurley can keep rotating in fresh bodies and constantly pressure the other team.

Reaction Score

I agree with 1/2 of this, the other half remains to be seen.

Reaction Score
I thought Virginia was a secret scrimmage that wasn't open to the public. Unless you were somehow there, where does this recollection come from?
It was, but it was also said that him and Hawkins was the two that stood out the most.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom