What will Samson Johnson bring to the team when he returns? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

What will Samson Johnson bring to the team when he returns?

Reaction Score
im just seriously asking what his above average traits are that make him a starter for the #2 team in the nation. And everybody is just slamming me instead of answering.
I think the point is he has above average traits for a freshman, nothing more. If you judge him as a freshman, you can see the potential, and appreciate the effort and contributions.

Initially he was not the starter this season, it happened by default (i.e. SJ injury).

He's a keeper.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I don’t think it would be the worst thing if Alex was more around 15-18 minutes instead of 25-30. His defensive limitations are pretty apparent, and he’s admitted to feeling tired sometimes. His role shouldn’t be this big as a freshman anyways. Having Samson come in for 10-20 minutes of likely better defense should be a boost for those matchups where Alex is being dominated. Hopefully Samson can be enough of a perimeter threat to not give up too much spacing.
I think Alex is looking forward to Samson's return for all the reasons you state

Reaction Score
Hey I admit I’m tough on Samson because he had a rough freshman year anytime he came in and played D, lost often. But kids learn and I for one hope he did his homework and time has allowed him experience. His athleticism and length would be a welcome asset if he can provide solid minutes.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Hey I admit I’m tough on Samson because he had a rough freshman year anytime he came in and played D, lost often. But kids learn and I for one hope he did his homework and time has allowed him experience. His athleticism and length would be a welcome asset if he can provide solid minutes.
I think there are two other factors that make that freshman year one you can throw away. (a) he's new to the game, hasn't been playing long. So yes, he's behind American kids but will learn quickly, like Sanogo. (b) most of his minutes came as a backup 5, not at the 4 (where we had Whaley, Akok and Polley). A lot of his time was when Sanogo got hurt (20 minutes vs Grambling). So yes, he was abused on D, because he wasn't strong enough to defend that position.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Hey, Ed. How's the COVID recovery going? Getting better, off isolation today.
Feeling much better. My wife, both daughters and one of my Grandson's have it. We think we got it from my son in law who had a sore throat the day he arrived just before Christmas. We all tested too early and were negative but as the symptoms blossomed tested again and were positive. I won't make that mistake again. According to CDC Guidelines today I can end quarantine but will be masking for a couple of days when in public. Will test again tomorrow. Thanks for asking

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
You’re right. Karaban is amazing. He totally didn’t get dominated today on defense. Definitely didn’t get dominated on the boards. Didn’t miss a bunch of open shots. Each of our players are the best in the country!!!

I do not think anybody has said Karaban is the best stretch 4 in the country, unless I missed it. As a freshman he is better than average in just about every basketball category, the highest being his IQ which is tough to teach.

The question I have is, if you are so down on Karaban who do you play in his spot that makes the team better than utilizing Karaban at the rate he has been used?

Since you are pointing to the Xavier game, know Xavier is an old experienced team, Karaban is a freshman and I would wager he has learned a little about defensive and rebounding positioning over the first 3 BE games now that you are in a fight every night out. When Johnson is fully healthy I think Karaban should see a little more rest, but Johnson does not (from what I have seen), offer the same impact that Karaban does.

Since the coaching staff had Johnson slated to start I guess we can presume he brings more to the team than Karaban, but we also know Hurley has a leash on the majority of the freshman that come in. Who is to say with a healthy Johnson all season Karaban would not have overtaken him by this point anyway. I want Johnson back as another athletic big who appears to have decent touch, but I have not seen enough of his live game action to determine he should get the bulk of the minutes at the 4.

Reaction Score
Seth Davis' latest piece in The Athletic says that "UConn has added back Samson Johnson". Interesting...
He is probably back doing some live drills but I wouldn’t expect to see him against Providence. Maybe Creighton

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
Feeling much better. My wife, both daughters and one of my Grandson's have it. We think we got it from my son in law who had a sore throat the day he arrived just before Christmas. We all tested too early and were negative but as the symptoms blossomed tested again and were positive. I won't make that mistake again. According to CDC Guidelines today I can end quarantine but will be masking for a couple of days when in public. Will test again tomorrow. Thanks for asking
Where are you watching the Providence game?

Reaction Score
You’re right. Karaban is amazing. He totally didn’t get dominated today on defense. Definitely didn’t get dominated on the boards. Didn’t miss a bunch of open shots. Each of our players are the best in the country!!!
Imagine how many Freshman of the week awards Alex would have already if he wasn’t mediocre

Reaction Score
Since the coaching staff had Johnson slated to start I guess we can presume he brings more to the team than Karaban, but we also know Hurley has a leash on the majority of the freshman that come in. Who is to say with a healthy Johnson all season Karaban would not have overtaken him by this point anyway. I want Johnson back as another athletic big who appears to have decent touch, but I have not seen enough of his live game action to determine he should get the bulk of the minutes at the 4.
Was Samson the starter at PF for game 1 because Karaban was still getting back into game shape after recovering from a pre-season injury? I thought I read that back then? Does anyone here recall something like this or am I totally 'mis-remembering'?

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Was Samson the starter at PF for game 1 because Karaban was still getting back into game shape after recovering from a pre-season injury? I thought I read that back then? Does anyone here recall something like this or am I totally 'mis-remembering'?

Karaban was nursing an ankle injury if I remember correctly. What I do is both have played roughly 15 games in a UConn uniform, Johnson only 84 minutes total minutes, and Karaban appears to be the better player and better fit to our style of play. That's not to say there are no minutes for Johnson, but I think it is tough to say he is better than or offers more to the team than Karaban.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
What I see with AK is a young player who gets better at addressing his weaknesses every game. His shot is not a weakness even though he struggled against Xavier. If SJ comes back and shows an ability like AK to quickly address and improve exposed weaknesses then we will truly be in great shape.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
Samson and Alex are complementary players. Yes they play mostly the same spot but Alex can likely play some on the wing. There have been matchups this yr where I've wished Samson were in because he'd help. They are just both very different but both very talented players. I dont understand that people think if Alex gets his minutes reduced he will automatically lose all confidence. I'm more worried about this young kid playing a ton of high pressure minutes. The way I see it, some games Alex should play more and some games Samson should play more. That's on Hurley to figure out and I trust that he will.

Reaction Score
Alex isn’t the most athletic guy out there. Doesn’t mean he won’t start, but when he can’t match up to a player quicker than him then Samson will be the answer.

Reaction Score
Didn’t see this update posted from today… doesn’t sound like he’s ready for Providence tomorrow or Creighton this weekend. 1/11 against Marquette may be the target.

Reaction Score
Didn’t see this update posted from today… doesn’t sound like he’s ready for Providence tomorrow or Creighton this weekend. 1/11 against Marquette may be the target.

Sounds like about 2 weeks out, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel so that’s good

Reaction Score

Didn’t sound from DH that Samson would be playing in any games next week either.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score

If he’s not even practicing or fully running yet, I’d bet it’s likely in February.

Reaction Score

Damn. 3 weeks out i’d say

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom