What we're dealing with | The Boneyard

What we're dealing with

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Our 5th starter is a combination of 3 players who have not played at UConns level and Irwin and Bent who havent seen alot of playtime. You call that inexperience. It will take time for them to come around. Yeah we played a couple of teams not ranked very high and won. Hey Maryland last nite pulled their game out against James Madison with 14 seconds left. MD was down double digets for a long time. Yeah we are inconsistant because of a few things one being inexperience by everybody expect CD and Megan and CD is coming back from an injury. CD will be fine at some point. Makurat Griffin and Adebayo need to gain some experience. Irwin and Bent need playtime. Non Playtime for non starters is a criticizem we've seen on this board alot lately and will be big in the next couple of years with the verbals and commitments we have. So by giving inexperienced players playtime youve got to expect the flow of the game to change and mistakes to happen. Thats right where we are now. As the season progress's the flow will be better, the hesitating will disappear and when their confidence takes over we will be fine. Our core 4 continue to do a nice job and help is on the way as the season continues. Think back to Lou Phessa StewieTina Diana Maya they all made mistakes and were in Genos doghouse. The difference was they were surrounded by NPOY and AA canidates. We dont have that this season and we have won both games. Yeah both games were a little ugly at times and we looked pretty good at times and we held on on. So Temple is up next then Virginia Dayton and Ohio St. Its gonna be fun to watch this team grow and even more fun to watch with anticapation of who's coming in in the next couple of years. Remember those 5 recruits coming in next year will need playtime to develop and gain experience. Its a cycle called a learning curve. GO Huskies

Reaction Score
Our 5th starter is a combination of 3 players who have not played at UConns level and Irwin and Bent who havent seen alot of playtime. You call that inexperience. It will take time for them to come around. Yeah we played a couple of teams not ranked very high and won. Hey Maryland last nite pulled their game out against James Madison with 14 seconds left. MD was down double digets for a long time. Yeah we are inconsistant because of a few things one being inexperience by everybody expect CD and Megan and CD is coming back from an injury. CD will be fine at some point. Makurat Griffin and Adebayo need to gain some experience. Irwin and Bent need playtime. Non Playtime for non starters is a criticizem we've seen on this board alot lately and will be big in the next couple of years with the verbals and commitments we have. So by giving inexperienced players playtime youve got to expect the flow of the game to change and mistakes to happen. Thats right where we are now. As the season progress's the flow will be better, the hesitating will disappear and when their confidence takes over we will be fine. Our core 4 continue to do a nice job and help is on the way as the season continues. Think back to Lou Phessa StewieTina Diana Maya they all made mistakes and were in Genos doghouse. The difference was they were surrounded by NPOY and AA canidates. We dont have that this season and we have won both games. Yeah both games were a little ugly at times and we looked pretty good at times and we held on on. So Temple is up next then Virginia Dayton and Ohio St. Its gonna be fun to watch this team grow and even more fun to watch with anticapation of who's coming in in the next couple of years. Remember those 5 recruits coming in next year will need playtime to develop and gain experience. Its a cycle called a learning curve. GO Huskies
Megan isn’t an AA candidate?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Megan isn’t an AA candidate?

If she can maintain the level she has played in the first 2 games, I would say yes but as more teams scheme to adopt a "let anyone else beat you but MW approach", that might not happen. We do not have the " all 5 players on the court can score" pedigree this year (at least so far).

Reaction Score
I don't share any optimism with respect to the " bench." I think Geno knows exactly what he will get from Molly and Kyla, so there is no need to play them now. He wants to get the starting six working together. I say six because only Aubrey and Anna will play. The Murray ST. transfer is going to provide nothing. She will come in for Olivia, for 60 seconds, and hopefully not touch the ball. Others will say I am jumping too early to that conclusion. But I will happily be proven wrong. I just don't think I shall be.

Reaction Score
Interesting how Tony threw Maryland in there. UConn and Maryland are in two totally different situations. Maryland had a very good starting lineup with good incoming depth but have played 7 god awful quarters consecutively before an extremely good 4th quarter yesterday. Maryland has no identity right now and is not very well coached. Also I think the injury to Lewis has hurt the team more than people realize.

On the other hand, we knew there would be an issue with the 5th starter for UConn if Westbrook couldn't play and so far UConn's worst nightmare has come true. I am really high on Griffin and she eventually will be the great 5th starter for you. Also the other difference is great coaching and Geno will figure it out.

This has been discussed at length on the other thread but I think UConn got jobbed by the NCAA on Westbrook. She should be eligible. I have a feeling the NCAA want to see if Geno can pull a Final 4 out of this cast of characters.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Tony, I love you but, please, use paragraphs

Reaction Score
I don't think Uconn got jobbed by the NCAA. Right or Wrong they announced long before any of the waivers were even submitted that they were going to tighten up on granting requests this season. It was just a matter of applying the wrong year. The NCAA has certainly jobbed other programs in the past Especially when compared to their granting Shepard her waiver. However, with respect to the standards they set for this season, Westbrook's denial could not really be considered a job except when compared to waiver requests in the past. But this season the denial could not be considered a singling out. I personally would like to see a class-action suit filed against the NCAA with respect to their waiver policies.

Reaction Score
Especially when compared to their granting Shepard her waiver. However, with respect to the standards they set for this season, Westbrook's denial could not really be considered a job except when compared to waiver requests in the past. But this season the denial could not be considered a singling out.
Good points here. She probably would have gotten it last year (Westbrook). We'll never know but I wonder if Sheppard would have been approved this season with the tightening of the waiver process. Other than the two Louisville girls, did any other waiver get approved?

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I don't think Uconn got jobbed by the NCAA. Right or Wrong they announced long before any of the waivers were even submitted that they were going to tighten up on granting requests this season. It was just a matter of applying the wrong year. The NCAA has certainly jobbed other programs in the past Especially when compared to their granting Shepard her waiver. However, with respect to the standards they set for this season, Westbrook's denial could not really be considered a job except when compared to waiver requests in the past. But this season the denial could not be considered a singling out. I personally would like to see a class-action suit filed against the NCAA with respect to their waiver policies.

But how many waivers have been denied this season? Last I knew it was 3, with 20-someodd approved. It doesn't sound like they're tightening up, and unless someone can explain it (not gonna happen), I don't think 90% of those who applied for waivers have better reasons than Westbrook. Don't forget that she had surgery as soon as she got to UConn, so there may have been a medical basis for her application in addition to the situation with the coaching.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
What we are dealing with is a roster of very good players that is lacking a key ingredient (a rebounder) that may prove to be fatal. In two games we have been collectively outrebounded by two teams that were expected to be cellar dweller in their respective conferences. I hear a lot of wishful thinking such as, once that first shot falls for Ann, Geno will figure it out, they just need more time together etc.. I share those wishes but remain concerned mostly by these realities:
Two players Megan and Liv have combined for 80% of the block shots and 55% of rebounds​
4 players are averaging more than 36 mins per game​
2 players are averaging more than 39 mins per game​
Crystal is shooting 36%​
Liv is shooting 39%​
What does all this have to do with rebounding? Everything! When you are spending extra possession defending because you can't secure the ball, there goes your legs and your shot. Never mind your shot, suddenly you are not cutting as hard as you can, the ball sticks. You can't sneak out and get easy baskets if your teammate doesn't secure the ball there goes the FG%. One other item related to rebounding, ALL UCONN successful defense possessions starts with finding Crystal. Finding Crystal takes time and gives the defense a chance to recover. Megan, Christyn, and Anna are perfectly capable of advancing the ball to half court and then finding Crystal if nothing else is available. Christyn Williams had 3 leak out layups against ND in the 1st Quarter last year. Each time it was a different teammate who secured the rebound that allowed her to sneak out. Does anyone remember Christyn sneaking out so far this year?

Reaction Score
In addition to UConn not really having a productive fifth starter, I think Olivia Nelson-Ododa is a little less well rounded offensively than UConn has been accustomed to in starters.

It will be interesting to see how some of the better teams on the schedule approach defending UConn's dangerous guards and wings.

Reaction Score
But how many waivers have been denied this season? Last I knew it was 3, with 20-someodd approved. It doesn't sound like they're tightening up, and unless someone can explain it (not gonna happen), I don't think 90% of those who applied for waivers have better reasons than Westbrook. Don't forget that she had surgery as soon as she got to UConn, so there may have been a medical basis for her application in addition to the situation with the coaching.

Rest assured South Carolina had one!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
What we are dealing with is a roster of very good players that is lacking a key ingredient (a rebounder) that may prove to be fatal. In two games we have been collectively outrebounded by two teams that were expected to be cellar dweller in their respective conferences. I hear a lot of wishful thinking such as, once that first shot falls for Ann, Geno will figure it out, they just need more time together etc.. I share those wishes but remain concerned mostly by these realities:
Two players Megan and Liv have combined for 80% of the block shots and 55% of rebounds​
4 players are averaging more than 36 mins per game​
2 players are averaging more than 39 mins per game​
Crystal is shooting 36%​
Liv is shooting 39%​
What does all this have to do with rebounding? Everything! When you are spending extra possession defending because you can't secure the ball, there goes your legs and your shot. Never mind your shot, suddenly you are not cutting as hard as you can, the ball sticks. You can't sneak out and get easy baskets if your teammate doesn't secure the ball there goes the FG%. One other item related to rebounding, ALL UCONN successful defense possessions starts with finding Crystal. Finding Crystal takes time and gives the defense a chance to recover. Megan, Christyn, and Anna are perfectly capable of advancing the ball to half court and then finding Crystal if nothing else is available. Christyn Williams had 3 leak out layups against ND in the 1st Quarter last year. Each time it was a different teammate who secured the rebound that allowed her to sneak out. Does anyone remember Christyn sneaking out so far this year?
While I share your concerns about rebounding, it should be pointed out that UConn has not been a great rebounding team since Stewie & Tuck graduated. Specifically, during the NCAA tournament last March, playing against quality teams throughout, UConn was outrebounded by Buffalo, UCLA & ND. The Huskies outrebounded lowly Towson by 1. UConn’s best rebounding effort was a +6 vs Louisville, reversing a -6 rebounding effort earlier in the season during the loss at Louisville.

There are also issues of execution that are independent of rebounding problems, including not taking care of the ball, defensive lapses and quite simply, everyone is not always on the same page yet.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Stats don't lie. After the four returning starters, the remainder of the team accounted for 2 points in the first game against Cal., and doubled that to 4 points in the second game against Vandy

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Stats don't lie. After the four returning starters, the remainder of the team accounted for 2 points in the first game against Cal., and doubled that to 4 points in the second game against Vandy

As long as we keep going +2 until March, we're set. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I think they are awesome and this is the kind of season that makes the whole thing fun. If you don't go through some tough times, you never get the really great exhilaration of winning. It's the kind of thing everyone thinks about when they win a championship: the toughness it took to get through tough times. And we are so spoiled as this ain't really tough times at all. Go Huskies! I expect greatness.

Reaction Score
Let's see, the bench doubled their output from 2 points to 4 points. First game's points squared. If they continue to improve on a geometric, rather than a linear progression, we should be in really good shape moving forward!;)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Let's see, the bench doubled their output from 2 points to 4 points. First game's points squared. If they continue to improve on a geometric, rather than a linear progression, we should be in really good shape moving forward!;)
I would be happy with linear progression.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I believe that means that by the National Championship game UConn’s bench should score 2.74878 e11 pts. :confused:

Reaction Score
What was Jalen Hurts' hardship? Damned if I know, and I'm an Oklahoma football fan.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I believe that means that by the National Championship game UConn’s bench should score 2.74878 e11 pts. :confused:

Might lose some with the exponent notation. Translation 274,878,000,000 pts

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Nan Ive been on this board for over 20 years and thats the first time you asked me to use paragraphs. LOL My spelling has gotten better. Luv you 2.
It has? Yee gads, what was it like before it got better? :confused: That said, I agree with your sentiment as anyone who thinks our conference opponents are not at the level that Evelyn played against a team Murray St is delusional. Is she a tad overmatched against most P5 programs? Probably, the biggest issue she has is getting used to having so much more talent on her team where she is the low man and has to adjust and be ready for the increased speed of the game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom