What We Learned | The Boneyard

What We Learned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
  • Both teams need to get better, and they will. But definitely weaknesses exposed.
  • KML - Wow.
  • Defense was very good, especially interior team defense. Did an outstanding job on a bigger team.
  • 11-21 from the foul line? UGH.
  • For all the pre-game comments about Buck, she didn't even get in. Fortunately Stokes did a serviceable job in her time. I think she has established herself as the 2nd player off the bench.
  • Hayes-Doty-Faris all had mediocre games. Hayes at least had 13 rebs & 6 assists and Faris did a really good job defensively. But bad shots (& Tiff in particular had a bunch of those) are the equivalent of TOs.
  • Hartley really broke out of the shadows of the elder players.
  • Dolson didn't score much but played good defense - those early blocks I think helped set a tone.
  • Clearly the game plan against UConn has changed - focus will now be on Hartley & KML. Will be interesting to see how the defense adjusts and how the team responds.
  • Hartley-KML-Dolson = all frosh/sophs!

Reaction Score
Outside of KML & Bria, team was 7-37 (19%) from field. EEEK.

Sadly, I think the door is nearly closed on Buck. Stokes has clearly surpassed. HB needs to turn things around real quick.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Tiff although she has a poor shooting day she had 13 rebounds with 6 assists. Last year if she shot poorly it impacted her complete game. At least tonight she had significant contributions to the team win.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Buck isn't going to get in big games unless Kiah and Stef foul out. At this point, Geno trusts a freshman in her third game over a fourth-year player. She will get minutes and do well against weaker teams, but she isn't an option at this point.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I'm not sure that Geno trusts Kiah more than Heather but I think he trusts her as much and sees more of an upside developmentally.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
-I don't think that the door is closed on anyone but Geno's subbing in this game was like what he does in the NCAA's... short bench. As the season goes on, he will make more use of the depth.
-The 6 and a half people that played this game showed great fitness. Steph actually was best at the end.
-I and many of the posters have commented on the overwhelming prevalence of the Junior members of the team. If this trend continues, it will force tactical adjustments and less playing time for the more senior players...and next year. It could well be 2 freshmen, 2 sophs, and 2 juniors with the lions share of playing time.
-I think the team will settle down and play a more composed game in general and may be very hard to beat but its a bit discouraging that the vets are seeming so weak offensively in big games.

Reaction Score
Geno did what he had to do to insure the win and keep the streak going. We'll see HB and MJ more in games ahead.

Reaction Score
It was unfortunate that we did not learn more about more players. We learned nothing about Heather, because she did not play. Can't say we learned anything about Banks, either. Someone described Kiah's time as serviceable, and that sounds about right. Guess we will have to wait until we play some good-but-not-great teams to see how these players can play when challenged.

Reaction Score
It was unfortunate that we did not learn more about more players. We learned nothing about Heather, because she did not play. Can't say we learned anything about Banks, either. Someone described Kiah's time as serviceable, and that sounds about right. Guess we will have to wait until we play some good-but-not-great teams to see how these players can play when challenged.
They'll get plenty of time. We have almost a month now before our next tough game.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score

I thought Kiah was quite good tonight

Reaction Score
It was unfortunate that we did not learn more about more players. We learned nothing about Heather, because she did not play.

Actually we learned a lot about Heather. We learned that Geno/staff feel more comfortable putting in a frosh in game 3 for 14 minutes than they do Buck.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Kia was more than serviceable. She didn't back down at all. A couple of key blocks and rebounds.

This game was very physical from the start. Stanford tried to out physical us much to the chagrin of the fans and Geno. Stanford also found out that Uconn can be very physical too.

Both teams shot in the 30 percent range. The difference in the game was our team speed, rebounding and bench/ guard play.

Stanford has moe work to do than we do. Outside of Nneka, the do not have a legit scoring threat.

Yes it was an ugly game, similar to the championship game of 2010. But a win is a win. We are still a team searching for its identity. Part of that identity showed up tonight - defense and physical toughness. The rest will arrive.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
  • Both teams need to get better, and they will. But definitely weaknesses exposed.
  • KML - Wow.
  • Defense was very good, especially interior team defense. Did an outstanding job on a bigger team.
  • 11-21 from the foul line? UGH.
  • For all the pre-game comments about Buck, she didn't even get in. Fortunately Stokes did a serviceable job in her time. I think she has established herself as the 2nd player off the bench.
  • Hayes-Doty-Faris all had mediocre games. Hayes at least had 13 rebs & 6 assists and Faris did a really good job defensively. But bad shots (& Tiff in particular had a bunch of those) are the equivalent of TOs.
  • Hartley really broke out of the shadows of the elder players.
  • Dolson didn't score much but played good defense - those early blocks I think helped set a tone.
  • Clearly the game plan against UConn has changed - focus will now be on Hartley & KML. Will be interesting to see how the defense adjusts and how the team responds.
  • Hartley-KML-Dolson = all frosh/sophs!
i agree with everything you said. except Stokes was more than serviceable. i thought she played VERY well. and i get that Geno probably played Dolson so few minutes in the first two blowouts given that she could score at will against shorter players, but maybe he needed to give her more practice in a game situation. Dolson did some great things and i was surprised that Stanfords speed was not exploited against Dolson. i was also surprised her height did not give her a bigger advantage.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
i agree with everything you said. except Stokes was more than serviceable. i thought she played VERY well. and i get that Geno probably played Dolson so few minutes in the first two blowouts given that she could score at will against shorter players, but maybe he needed to give her more practice in a game situation. Dolson did some great things and i was surprised that Stanfords speed was not exploited against Dolson. i was also surprised her height did not give her a bigger advantage.

Dolson's problem scoring last night was not hers but the entry pass in time and in rhythm. I am not sure how much better she would or would not have been executing more opportunities in the post against those previous posts who were shorter and less athletic than the three or four players she played against for Stanford.

Her strength and conditioning really showed last night.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
Is it just me or did this game resemble the last two UConn efforts vs. Stanford? Is it something about the Cardinal red shirts or something in the Gatorade that turns the UConn women (or at least those not named Kaleena and Bria) to jelly when Stanford walks onto the court? When the game started I dreamed of a nice smooth run, getting some points on the board. The next thing I knew it was looking a lot like the first half of the 2010 national championship game. And where was Tiffany who, as a senior, is supposed to lead the team? When she finally scored some in the second half, even the commentators Mowins and Lobo noted her obvious relief.

Some thoughts: Also, Beth Mowins and Rebecca Lobo mentioned Stanford's horrible recent record east of the Mississippi. Is it fair to judge a team based on playing a top team after traveling 3,000 miles? Is it possible that the wear and tear of travel and the time change takes something out of the players? Although these young women are tremendous athletes, they're still human. I don't follow men's basketball. Do similar things happen in the men's game?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Roy, I simply think it is the excess energy of a big game and a matter of trying to do things at hyperspeed under the impact of adrenaline.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
Roy, I simply think it is the excess energy of a big game and a matter of trying to do things at hyperspeed under the impact of adrenaline.

And, Icebear, in this case it was obvious early season jitters. Which is what makes KML even more special. For a freshman, she looked like a veteran.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
And, Icebear, in this case it was obvious early season jitters. Which is what makes KML even more special. For a freshman, she looked like a veteran.
Indeed she did. It was beautiful wasn't it.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Geno did what he had to do to insure the win and keep the streak going. We'll see HB and MJ more in games ahead.
I don't think that Geno's subbing had anything to do with any streak...seriously.

Geno looks for effort in practice and rewards with minutes. Geno looks to see what is working, and adjusts when it isn't. Streak or no, Geno wants a W, and he above all wants a well played game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom