What We Learned | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What We Learned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Geno, also, may want Heather with all of the positive thoughts of her last two games and may not have wanted to risk that development at this point. Keep her moving forward.

Reaction Score
It makes sense that they were Jacked up. We have a very young team. We are trying to establishs who will step up when things aren't going well. I was surprised that Doty was so amped up but she hasn't played in a big game in a long time.

I am curious to see how everyone responds following this game. Will it add pressure or create a feeling of we've been there and done that so now we can relax effect.

I can't remember any freshman performance (in an early game with such a highly ranked team) who played a better all around game than KML. Very impressive.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Good stats:

Out rebounded them 46-45, out offensively rebounded them (big big stat) 18-12.
Steals 12-3
Blocks 9-2
Turnovers 7-16

Bad stats:

Shooting (all kinds), 37% - 40%, 3pt 22% - 33%, FT 52% - 72%.
Free throws 11-21

Not our normal way of winning, but I'll take it.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Geno, also, may want Heather with all of the positive thoughts of her last two games and may not have wanted to risk that development at this point. Keep her moving forward.

I hadn't thought about that, but you very well could be right on that one. As long as Kiah was looking able in practice, she probably earned the right to be the first big body off the bench. Once it was clear she was holding her own, he gave her some room to work and kept Heather back rather than put her in and risk her 'messing up' and feeling negative about it. Hopefully Buck will keep making progress in the upcoming games and then maybe get an opportunity against TAMU ...

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
She's a freshman for heaven's sake. Posts take a longer time to develop, have we not heard this time and again? Given what I saw last night from Kiah, I have high, high hopes for her.

Was I being critical of Kiah somehow...?

Reaction Score
Seems to me that the free-throw shooting percentage is always poor at the beginning of the season and then gets up to UConn levels. Anyone else see that?

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Good stats:

Out rebounded them 46-45, out offensively rebounded them (big big stat) 18-12.
Steals 12-3
Blocks 9-2
Turnovers 7-16

Bad stats:

Shooting (all kinds), 37% - 40%, 3pt 22% - 33%, FT 52% - 72%.
Free throws 11-21

Not our normal way of winning, but I'll take it.
A big part of the offensive rebounding advantage was the job Kelly did on Chiney. Holding her to 3 offensive rebounds, despite Chiney's height advantage, was a big part of this win, and a major accomplishment for Kelly. By comparison, Chiney had 10 offensive rebounds against Texas, without her sister helping out in the post.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
She's a freshman for heaven's sake. Posts take a longer time to develop, have we not heard this time and again? Given what I saw last night from Kiah, I have high, high hopes for her.
Was I being critical of Kiah somehow...?
Mild sarcasm from our friend RadyLady.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
A big part of the offensive rebounding advantage was the job Kelly did on Chiney. Holding her to 3 offensive rebounds, despite Chiney's height advantage, was a big part of this win, and a major accomplishment for Kelly. By comparison, Chiney had 10 offensive rebounds against Texas, without her sister helping out in the post.

Kelly was a warrior last night. A couple of times she came off the court physically exhausted. On one trip to the FT line in the second half I said there's no way she's going to make these shots -- she's too exhausted. All of us would have liked Kelly to score, but the job she did on Chiney was as important a contribution as made by any of her teammates.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Yes, Cat, Kelly gave up some of her minutes to KML but she, also, was battling so hard against Chiney that she was exhhausted. It was a Herculean effort by someone giving away not just height but body mass, too. Her fundamentals helped her to do a tremendous job on Chiney.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
I didn't put it in the interview thread but CD said something to the effect that the team came out like they wanted to win the game in the first five minutes.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I didn't put it in the interview thread but CD said something to the effect that the team came out like they wanted to win the game in the first five minutes.
Exactly.

Reaction Score
Dolson's problem scoring last night was not hers but the entry pass in time and in rhythm. I am not sure how much better she would or would not have been executing more opportunities in the post against those previous posts who were shorter and less athletic than the three or four players she played against for Stanford.

Her strength and conditioning really showed last night.

Absolutely! As I watched last night, I was recalling winded, red-faced Steph in the Baylor game last year. What a transformation!

Reaction Score

Lol. You need to work in political spin.

Heather has until Xmas to make an impact on the coaches. If she doesn't, she won't be seen unless there's significant foul trouble for Stef/Kiah.

Reaction Score
Is it just me or did this game resemble the last two UConn efforts vs. Stanford? Is it something about the Cardinal red shirts or something in the Gatorade that turns the UConn women (or at least those not named Kaleena and Bria) to jelly when Stanford walks onto the court? When the game started I dreamed of a nice smooth run, getting some points on the board. The next thing I knew it was looking a lot like the first half of the 2010 national championship game. And where was Tiffany who, as a senior, is supposed to lead the team? When she finally scored some in the second half, even the commentators Mowins and Lobo noted her obvious relief.

Some thoughts: Also, Beth Mowins and Rebecca Lobo mentioned Stanford's horrible recent record east of the Mississippi. Is it fair to judge a team based on playing a top team after traveling 3,000 miles? Is it possible that the wear and tear of travel and the time change takes something out of the players? Although these young women are tremendous athletes, they're still human. I don't follow men's basketball. Do similar things happen in the men's game?

I might be wrong, but I don't recall anyone saying that when UConn traveled to the West Coast last year.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
We learned last night that there doesn't appear to be a moment too big for KML. Think about it: she's not only a freshman playing in her first game against a top 10 team on national tv, but she's playing in front of a huge crowd including the 3-time Wade trophy winner whose number she now wears. Yet, she didn't try to do too much. She knew the team needed scoring and she made shots. She knew defense and rebounding were critically important and she did that too. Is it any wonder Geno was tempted to say something but held back:

"For Kaleena to come in here and do this on her first big night out, it's …. phew," Auriemma said after KML had led everybody with 25 points in No. 4 UConn's 68-58 victory over No. 5 Stanford. "I don't want to say what I think. It's too early. It's not good to speak your mind when it's early."

BTW, we already knew that Bria Hartley is not afraid of the big moment either. I know, she showed up too late in the FF loss to ND, but she showed time and time again as a freshman that she doesn't shy away from big moments.

Reaction Score
Some thoughts: Also, Beth Mowins and Rebecca Lobo mentioned Stanford's horrible recent record east of the Mississippi. Is it fair to judge a team based on playing a top team after traveling 3,000 miles? Is it possible that the wear and tear of travel and the time change takes something out of the players?

I think this is a statistic without meaning. A lot of Stanford's poor record has to do with the quality of the competition their facing. When they come east, it's always to play good teams - UConn, Tennessee, etc. And in tough environments.

If they were losing to mediocre teams, I'd say there was something to it, but I dont believe that's the case.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I think this is a statistic without meaning. A lot of Stanford's poor record has to do with the quality of the competition their facing. When they come east, it's always to play good teams - UConn, Tennessee, etc. And in tough environments.

If they were losing to mediocre teams, I'd say there was something to do it, but I dont believe that's the case.

Correct. Stanford now plays every other year in Knoxville and hasn't won there since 1996.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
We learned last night that there doesn't appear to be a moment too big for KML. Think about it: she's not only a freshman playing in her first game against a top 10 team on national tv, but she's playing in front of a huge crowd including the 3-time Wade trophy winner whose number she now wears. Yet, she didn't try to do too much. She knew the team needed scoring and she made shots. She knew defense and rebounding were critically important and she did that too.
KML's first bucket, on a drive to the basket, had the wags in Section 214 commenting on her body control. Unlike Mad Dash Hayes (I say that affectionately), Kaleena drove to the basket, saw the defenders converging and stopped on a dime without crashing into them or onto the floor. I also remarked at half time how impressed I was with her ability to set herself before a shot. It's really remarkable in such a young player.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score

If they were losing to mediocre teams, I'd say there was something to it, but I dont believe that's the case.

And as Lobo aptly pointed out, that record (as poor as it is) has prepared them to go to the past 4 final fours.

Reaction Score
Correct. Stanford now plays every other year in Knoxville and hasn't won there since 1996.

We've had a home/home with TN for about 22 yrs (going by memory vs. looking it up).
Also without looking it up, I think our losses there average about 5-7 pts. Hard to win in Kville.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
What I found most impressive about Kia was that she seemed totally relaxed and comfortable with the situation; no sign of freshman nerves. Also no sign of being at all intimidated by the O sisters. She is going to be a good one.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
We've had a home/home with TN for about 22 yrs (going by memory vs. looking it up).
Also without looking it up, I think our losses there average about 5-7 pts. Hard to win in Kville.

Very tough. That's why I mentioned it. Stanford's record in the eastern time zone is a function of playing every other year in one of the toughest environments in WCBB.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
KML's first bucket, on a drive to the basket, had the wags in Section 214 commenting on her body control. Unlike Mad Dash Hayes (I say that affectionately), Kaleena drove to the basket, saw the defenders converging and stopped on a dime without crashing into them or onto the floor. I also remarked at half time how impressed I was with her ability to set herself before a shot. It's really remarkable in such a young player.

Kaleena's first bucket was over the top. We can't buy a basket, and the precocious freshman comes in and makes a running left-hand hook shot. Confidence! Borderline chutzpah! Shades of Diana!

Reaction Score
One question about KML: did Stanford do something different in the 2nd half to limit her scoring, or was it just a case of a few shots not falling and things opening up for others?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom