What to Look For in the Ft Hays Exhibition Game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What to Look For in the Ft Hays Exhibition Game

Reaction Score
I’m pretty sure Evina starts. But if Azzi is the 1st guard off the bench, and not Nika, that already tells us something fairly significant.
Yes it will mean that Geno chose Nika to start over Azzi.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Hopefully the game will be posted on the yard so that it can be viewed again by those who missed it, or who need or want to see it again. Sometimes you see things watching a game a second time you missed the first time. I'm pretty sure I'm going to want to see a replay of the game. :cool:

Many times a player(s) can do things throughout the course of a game that won't show up in the box score that helps their team win. I'm going to be looking for things/players the 2nd time I wasn't the first time. Everyone watches games differently. I watch the ball. During replays, sometimes I watch players movements and spacing. I look for plays they made and didn't make. I wish they were playing today!!
The two exhibition games that were played two years ago are posted, so I believe that this one will be as well.

Reaction Score
Oldude's points of interest are all good. I notice the additional posts have also brought up pace and fast breaking, and I hope more pressing, and whether we drive to the basket more.

We have the depth to pick up the pace, and that has been debated in great detail on the Boneyard, but I find the idea of more driving to the basket very interesting as well. Our roster was not very conducive to that last year. Did we have a player who could penetrate, finish, or dish? Of course Paige can do those things, and in Aaliyah and Liv she had a couple of people to give it to down low off her penetration.

What she didn't have was a knockdown three point shooter to kick back out to on those drives. She was the only one. Now we add Azzi and Caroline which can create far better spacing for anyone to drive, and a more dangerous threat for kickouts. When only one of your three wings scares the defense from long range (Paige last year) the defense can pack it in. This year more frequently we will have two on the court, and on occasion perhaps three (Paige, Azzi, Caroline).

Reaction Score
I'm really looking for sustained flow on offense when we see multiple combinations come on the floor. Through the years I've always thought a bellwether for the team is whether offense is sustained when bench players start coming in.

On defense, I want to see some perimeter one on one keeping the opponent in front of them

Reaction Score
My biggest curiosity involves the rotation, not that it’s an exact model for what we’ll see during the season. Who’s the first player off the bench and who do they replace?

For instance, if the starting lineup is Liv, Aaliyah, Christyn, Evina & Paige and Dorka is the first player off the bench, does she replace Liv, Aaliyah or one of the guards? Each scenario may indicate something about Geno’s thoughts for the coming season.
All good. But I have a different (or additional) take. I wonder who will start, yes, but also what starting from the get-go means. When Lou was the top rated recruit, there was some question of whether she'd start or have to earn her spot. So, when Geno started her in the first exhibition game that season, I figured that the position was hers to lose. Though there were ups and downs in her first year, Lou was the permanent starter by year's end. (Then the ankle break, etc.)
Think about pick-up games when we were kids. "I choose you (first pick)." That felt good. Now we'll get to see the old scenario played out again. For example: will Geno pair Paige with Azzi from the beginning of the latter's career? "I choose you first."

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Charlie Creme on Azzi:

"We have been hearing about Azzi Fudd for over two years. Whether it's her skills as a shooter, her demeanor in big moments or the efficiency with which she plays, Fudd enters her freshman season at UConn with a reputation as a future star. Now I want to see it all, game after game against and with the best talent Fudd has ever seen. That isn't meant to sound skeptical, but rather eager. Greatness is fun to watch. If she is truly great, it's time to enjoy it."

Carnac:
Yes it is, and yes it's time. ;)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Charlie Creme on Azzi:

"We have been hearing about Azzi Fudd for over two years. Whether it's her skills as a shooter, her demeanor in big moments or the efficiency with which she plays, Fudd enters her freshman season at UConn with a reputation as a future star. Now I want to see it all, game after game against and with the best talent Fudd has ever seen. That isn't meant to sound skeptical, but rather eager. Greatness is fun to watch. If she is truly great, it's time to enjoy it."

Carnac:
Yes it is, and yes it's time. ;)
Reading Geno’s comments about Azzi from the “secret scrimmage” vs BC, it certainly sounds like Azzi lit up the Eagles shooting the ball.

Reaction Score
I think Nika is still have problem in her foot. Don't know if she will play in the first game.

Geno: Two other returners — Aubrey Griffin and Nika Mühl — have both been hampered by injuries so far. Griffin hasn’t practiced much due to a high ankle sprain and still has no clear timetable for a recovery while Mühl has been battling through a foot issue.
What's wrong with her foot. It takes so long time to heal it.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Heytherego: I would appreciate that a lot.
One of the links provided above seems to be quite simple.
My fingers are crossed that I won't have to do a fast-break scramble at 1 :00 on Sunday.

BTW: I think CBSSports has a couple of our games....and I do not get that station. Is it likely
that those games will be on uconnhuskies.com as well?

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
My fingers are crossed that I won't have to do a fast-break scramble at 1 :00 on Sunday.

BTW: I think CBSSports has a couple of our games....and I do not get that station. Is it likely
Currently the only games that aren't on the uconnhuskies.com site is the ones covered by the evil people at SNY, who don't give a darn about UConn, just the money.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't really matter who starts. All the right players will get their minutes, and the results of this game may dictate who gets to start against Arkansas. I wouldn't be surprised if he used four different starting line ups to begin each quarter. With all the options he will have this may be the best way to figure this out.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Unless Geno decides to be "inconsistent", I am expecting that the starters will also start the 3rd quarter. That's his M.O.

Reaction Score
I fully expect to see Paige and Nika at the point, CW and Azzi at the two, Evina and CD at the three, Alijah and Saylor at the four and Olivia and Dorka at the five. Piath and Mir May get time with each 1-2-3 pairing at the end of each half. Let’s see how near or far that becomes.

Reaction Score
I fully expect to see Paige and Nika at the point, CW and Azzi at the two, Evina and CD at the three, Alijah and Saylor at the four and Olivia and Dorka at the five. Piath and Mir May get time with each 1-2-3 pairing at the end of each half. Let’s see how near or far that becomes.
I am not implying 5-player substitutions. I just think these are natural pairings. Geno will certainly mix and match. I’m also guessing only for the exhibition where the result is a given beforehand.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It's not what I want to see, it's what I want to hear. Crowd noise! I've really missed it. Maybe the team has missed it too.
Really curious to see what kind of crowd the Huskies will get at Gampel for an exhibition game. If 1st Night was any indication, the crowd will be big and loud.

Reaction Score
It's not what I want to see, it's what I want to hear. Crowd noise! I've really missed it. Maybe the team has missed it too.
Not me. Last year was great being able to hear the coaches coaching and officials discussing whistles.

Reaction Score
Currently the only games that aren't on the uconnhuskies.com site is the ones covered by the evil people at SNY, who don't give a darn about UConn, just the money.
If they don’t make money, they can’t broadcast the games. Given the assumed hefty fees they had to pay to acquire the rights, I would say that your criticism is unfounded. They do a fabulous job covering the games; certainly way superior to anything Fox would put on. There is also the added expense of pre and post game coverage and the special programming. If they want to keep the rights to their broadcasts, so be it.

Reaction Score
I think Nika is still have problem in her foot. Don't know if she will play in the first game.

Geno: Two other returners — Aubrey Griffin and Nika Mühl — have both been hampered by injuries so far. Griffin hasn’t practiced much due to a high ankle sprain and still has no clear timetable for a recovery while Mühl has been battling through a foot issue.
I believe I saw Nika’s upper left thigh wrapped.
Kinda surprised to see that.
She was still moving well.
We’ll she if and how much time she plays on Sunday.

Carnac

Reaction Score
In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't really matter who starts. All the right players will get their minutes, and the results of this game may dictate who gets to start against Arkansas. I wouldn't be surprised if he used four different starting line ups to begin each quarter. With all the options he will have this may be the best way to figure this out.
I like THAT idea, but I would be surprised if he did it. That way EVERYBODY gets some playing time, and everyone gets to start a quarter. I think Geno could do that and get away with it. I believe Mir and Aubrey are nursing an injury, so that leaves 12 players vying for playing time. The night before the game, we should submit our FINAL guess as to who starts Sunday's game. We've been talking about who is going to start all summer.

I agree with OLDUDE that no one is going to gain or lose a starting position during this exhibition game. The 5 that start Sunday, will be the 5 that start against Arkansas. The winners can take a victory lap around the yard. :D The losers can try again next year. :(

I think the first 5 Geno will send out on the floor are Olivia, Christyn, Evina, Paige and Nika. If Nika can't play (injured), then Aaliyah starts. First off the bench: Azzi and Dorka. Not necessarily in that order. I look for the reserves to get lots of playing time in the 2nd half.
I'll look to see if they can maintain (or increase) the lead they will have when they enter the game.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Reading Geno’s comments about Azzi from the “secret scrimmage” vs BC, it certainly sounds like Azzi lit up the Eagles shooting the ball.
You think she raised some eyebrows ......on both benches? :eek: I think she's going to be worth the price of admission folks. ;)

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
I like THAT idea. That way EVERYBODY gets some playing time, and everyone gets to start a quarter. I think Geno could do that and get away with it. I believe Mir and Aubrey are nursing an injury, so that leaves 12 players vying for playing time. The night before the game, we should submit our FINAL guess as to who starts Sunday's game. We've been talking about who is going to start all summer.

I agree with OLDUDE that no one is going to gain or lose a starting position during this exhibition game. The 5 that start Sunday, will be the 5 that start against Arkansas. The winners can take a victory lap around the yard. :D The losers can try again next year. :(

I think the first 5 Geno will send out on the floor are Olivia, Christyn, Evina, Paige and Nika. If Nika can't play (injured), then Aaliyah starts. First off the bench: Azzi and Dorka. Not necessarily in that order. I look for the reserves to get lots of playing time in the 2nd half.
I'll look to see if they can maintain (or increase) the lead they will have when they enter the game.
Thts a nice starting lineup prediction, so nice tht I'm gonna include all their jersey numbers on my Powerball tickets.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
I agree with eebmg. I am just curious how we are going to look on the offensive side of the ball. Who is being aggressive with attacking the rim? Are they moving without the ball? What type of offensive flow we have? Who has improved their skill set? Who brings the enthusiasm? Of course it is one game but it is a small glimpse of what is going to be the foundation.
I'm more curious about the defense, in the 2 games they lost their "D" let them down, the newbies have height but do they have the footwork, slow feet creates a lot of fouls. The offense?...no worries at all.

Reaction Score
You mention watching on the computer. I am [barely] a walk-on regarding tech matters.

Please correct me if I am wrong about this....and if I am....please correct me [preferably with one syllable words] so I can view this game.

To watch:

Go to UConnhuskies.com
There will be a link to the game on that site....somewhere.
Just click on that link and it will take you to a live video of the game [with commentary?]

Is that right?
Thanks for any help...I don't want to wait till the Arkansas game to see our favorites.

BTW: I hope Boneyarders in attendance will keep an eye out for potential future Huskies sitting in prime
time seats behind the UConn bench.
Game lhttps://uconnhuskies.com/watch/?Live=2740&type=Live

Reaction Score
Thts a nice starting lineup prediction, so nice tht I'm gonna include all their jersey numbers on my Powerball tickets.
And if you win, we'll never hear from you again. And, if we don't, congrats and enjoy watching the games on your new poweryacht.. :D

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom