What to Look For in the Ft Hays Exhibition Game | Page 3 | The Boneyard

What to Look For in the Ft Hays Exhibition Game

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Don't shoot the messenger...............but Tonyc posted that Evina "is a lock" to start. He said that information came from the proverbial "little birdie". It's been my experience that any information/news Tonyc shares with us is accurate. Just a side note..........in a recent interview, Evina said that she is 100% healthy and recovered from her knee surgery. She said that she does not think about the knee anymore like she did last year.

Don't forget that she was ranked number 2 in her HS class behind Megan Walker. To say that Evina has improved greatly since then is an understatement. Two years of SEC (Tennessee) P-5 experience, and 2 years of being in Geno's program (starting last year), I think she's ready, plus she's a BIG guard at 6'0". She's oiled up and ready to go, and so am I. :)
Assuming Tony is correct, and it typically is, then I think Azzi is the first person off the bench.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Unless one of our bigs picks up some early fouls I think either Fudd or Evina will be the first player off the bench, which ever one isn’t starting. That lets us maintain tempo.
I do hope we do not try to over emphasize feeding the ball down low early in the set. I know we have a significant height advantage but I hope we are balanced and attack all areas of the court. Lots of variety.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Charlie Creme on Azzi:

"We have been hearing about Azzi Fudd for over two years. Whether it's her skills as a shooter, her demeanor in big moments or the efficiency with which she plays, Fudd enters her freshman season at UConn with a reputation as a future star. Now I want to see it all, game after game against and with the best talent Fudd has ever seen. That isn't meant to sound skeptical, but rather eager. Greatness is fun to watch. If she is truly great, it's time to enjoy it."

Carnac:
Yes it is, and yes it's time. ;)
Well, I guess we should stop the Creme bashing this year (or almost)

Creme: Remember back in 2013 when UConn and Notre Dame met four times? The Irish won the first three meetings, but in the biggest one of all -- the national semifinals -- the Huskies prevailed on their way to the first national championship in the Breanna Stewart era.

Something similar is going to happen this year. UConn and South Carolina, the consensus top two teams in most preseason rankings, will play three times. They will meet in the finals of the Battle 4 Atlantis tournament in the Bahamas just before Thanksgiving, and again in their scheduled matchup on Jan. 27 in Columbia. The Gamecocks will win both of those games.

Then on April 3 in Minneapolis, unbeaten South Carolina and two-loss UConn will play for the national title. Much like they did to Notre Dame nine years earlier, the Huskies exact their revenge at exactly the right moment and capture their 12th championship.

Reaction Score
I think Nika is still have problem in her foot. Don't know if she will play in the first game.

Geno: Two other returners — Aubrey Griffin and Nika Mühl — have both been hampered by injuries so far. Griffin hasn’t practiced much due to a high ankle sprain and still has no clear timetable for a recovery while Mühl has been battling through a foot issue.
IF, Aubrey heals and finds a mid-range jumper and Nika heals and is confident on her mid-range, I am happy. Nika's intensity was a steal, and Aubrey was the number one NY State player coming out of high school. It would be a shame if Griffin doesn't become more than a one-dimensional athlete. Could rehab help her transition to a shooter.? She could be all world.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Charlie Creme on Azzi:

"We have been hearing about Azzi Fudd for over two years. Whether it's her skills as a shooter, her demeanor in big moments or the efficiency with which she plays, Fudd enters her freshman season at UConn with a reputation as a future star. Now I want to see it all, game after game against and with the best talent Fudd has ever seen. That isn't meant to sound skeptical, but rather eager. Greatness is fun to watch. If she is truly great, it's time to enjoy it."

Carnac:
Yes it is, and yes it's time. ;)

I first saw Azzi almost 4 years ago--January of her freshman season. She had 30 or so points on very efficient shooting. The fans around me couldn't believe that she was just a freshman. On my way out, I chatted with Sue Semrau, head coach at Florida State. She said Azzi's skills are just "crazy." Azzi is human, but she's really, really freaking good. :)

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Currently the only games that aren't on the uconnhuskies.com site is the ones covered by the evil people at SNY, who don't give a darn about UConn, just the money.
I am guessing/hoping that you forgot the sarcasm emoji because I think that SNY has done a great job with their coverage of UConn WBB. And because I am a dinosaur and still believe in capitalism, they deserve any profit they make. (As long as they are doing their job well.)

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I am guessing/hoping that you forgot the sarcasm emoji because I think that SNY has done a great job with their coverage of UConn WBB. And because I am a dinosaur and still believe in capitalism, they deserve any profit they make. (As long as they are doing their job well.)
How are they losing money when the game is posted after it's completion? Do they sell a box set after the season is over? They didn't have to have the past seasons taken down because they were not making any money off advertisements due to the fact that they weren't showing them on TV.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
How are they losing money when the game is posted after it's completion? Do they sell a box set after the season is over? They didn't have to have the past seasons taken down because they were not making any money off advertisements due to the fact that they weren't showing them on TV.
They had them taken down because they were illegally uploaded.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
There are copyright laws and they should be allowed to enforce those rights. BUT I agree with you in that I have had a long offseason because of the limited replays available on UCONNHUSKYGAMES. Maybe someday SNY will create an On Demand app/channel and make their games available again.
Or maybe for the next broadcast rights negotiation, UConn can include having replay rights.
Swerve: how many other Colleges have their own broadcast partner? This would exclude conference partners.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
I want to see Ft Hays have the best game they have ever played. I want to see them match up player to player and give our Huskies a game that is competitive. I want to see what our team has to offer and build on. I want to see what the subs have to offer, do they mesh well with the starters. I want a good game, and at the half time I want to see Ashlyn Shade and Ms. Toomey announce they are coming to UCONN. You asked, I answered. :cool:

Reaction Score
I don't care who starts but at some point I think Azzi, Dorka, Edwards or Caroline could all potentially be starters right? Probably in place of Nika I would think. I love Nika but she has major competition for minutes now. Injuries could give someone a slot also of course. All of this just makes the team better. It's all good. Gotta say, I'm rooting for all of them as they all are endearing, positive, striving young people. If they focus on the team they all win. Everyone on the team is a winner.

Reaction Score
I'll be looking for any reference to the Fort Hayes mascot. I just love the name of that mascot, almost as witty as UConn being the Huskies.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
They had them taken down because they were illegally uploaded.
I have been watching replays of the games broadcasted by SNY on youtube under Storrs Central, and lately another youtuber has uploaded the pre shows, games and post shows from SNY.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
The last time UConn played Fort Hayes they won 82-37, but was cold from 3pt land going 8-26 for 30.8%, shot 28-49 for 57% from inside the arc and totaled 36-75 for a 48% average. With this team I see a much higher average all around, especially fro 3pt land.

Reaction Score
Olivia no doubt. Feels like a no win situation for her in this game. If she dominates, well it was Fort Hayes, if she struggles then cue the Dorka talks. I know there are ppl that already want Dorka to start, I am not and maybe one of the few that would want Olivia to start every game this season. She's been here since day one, and unless she is playing poorly like Arizona game poorly, I don't see why she would lose her starting spot.

Reaction Score
Olivia no doubt. Feels like a no win situation for her in this game. If she dominates, well it was Fort Hayes, if she struggles then cue the Dorka talks. I know there are ppl that already want Dorka to start, I am not and maybe one of the few that would want Olivia to start every game this season. She's been here since day one, and unless she is playing poorly like Arizona game poorly, I don't see why she would lose her starting spot.
Here from Day One is not a great reason to start someone. To this point, Dorka has been the better player in her college career. Let’s see what happens.

Reaction Score
Dorka boxes out better and has better rebounding numbers. Dorka can shoot better. Dorka may not be as good a passer or as seemless in running the offense but if Geno starts the best players, Dorka should be on the floor probably. I get that it hurts Olivia in her chances to be a top pick but everyone probably sees the reality of the situation anyway over the course of the year. We will see. Hopefully they both are exceptional.

Reaction Score
Did anybody else notice that—when the UCONN ball handlers picked up their dribble, motion was very weak for an outlet?
I saw this fairly often.
Maybe it was because the players were mixed and matched.
Maybe it was because the newer players are still learning the offense.
This can’t happen against top flight competition.
I’m sure this will be corrected.
Ft. Hays gave a good accounting of themselves.
Oh, and one more thing.
Dorka should start.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom