What to Look For in the Ft Hays Exhibition Game | The Boneyard

What to Look For in the Ft Hays Exhibition Game

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
For many UConn WBB fans, the opportunity to watch the Huskies again after a 7-month hiatus is like being a catholic on April 4, after giving up chocolate for Lent. On Sunday, many of us will be sitting in front of our computer watching the exhibition game against DII Ft Hays St, thoroughly enjoying what will most certainly be a mismatch.

The UConn coaching staff is not going to learn much if anything about the players that they haven’t already learned in practice. As for we the fans, who haven’t really watched this year’s version of UConn WBB, there are several things to look for, even in a scrimmage against an undermanned opponent:
  • Player Health – There’s always one or more players dealing with routine issues from practice. But this year we have two players, Paige and Christyn, coming off major surgery. How are they moving on the court? Do their off-season surgeries limit them in any way? In addition, the word is that Evina is now playing at 100%, possibly for the first time since her freshman year at TN. After a wonderful season last year, when it was clear she was still hobbled somewhat from her two prior surgeries, a completely healthy Evina this year could elevate UConn to another level.
  • Strength & Fitness – IMO, last years two losses were in part because both AR & AZ were stronger and more physical than UConn. For that reason, I am intrigued by the work of Andrea Hudy, UConn’s new strength and conditioning coach. While I don’t expect miracles overnight, I want to see who’s added muscle and who is running the court faster. If Paige does her double-biceps flex after an “and 1” assist, I will be looking closely to see if there’s more muscle on those chicken wings. We know from our brief sightings that Piath has transformed her body. How does she move? What about Amari? Has she improved her fitness to the point where she becomes a viable option for meaningful playing time as a freshman?
  • Player rotation – All of us who have speculated on UConn’s starting lineup for 7 months will finally have our answer, along with some indication of how Geno plans to utilize his very deep bench.
  • Anything new that stands out? – All of UConn’s players have been working on their game during the offseason. Have Mir or Aubrey developed dependable mid-range jumpers? Is Piath more aggressive? Will Liv be showing off her new skyhook? :)
In the past, Geno has commented that such exhibitions present an opportunity to play against another team in a different uniform after months when the team basically went after each other day after day in practice. However individual players perform, it is highly unlikely that anyone will gain or lose PT or a starting spot based on how they perform against Ft Hays. Those decisions, at least as far as the first official game vs Arkansas, have largely been made by Geno and his staff based on practice. But any way you cut it the season is at hand!!!

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
You mention watching on the computer. I am [barely] a walk-on regarding tech matters.

Please correct me if I am wrong about this....and if I am....please correct me [preferably with one syllable words] so I can view this game.

To watch:

Go to UConnhuskies.com
There will be a link to the game on that site....somewhere.
Just click on that link and it will take you to a live video of the game [with commentary?]

Is that right?
Thanks for any help...I don't want to wait till the Arkansas game to see our favorites.

BTW: I hope Boneyarders in attendance will keep an eye out for potential future Huskies sitting in prime
time seats behind the UConn bench.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I am quite sure Christyn and Paige are 100%. All comments from players and coaches say so. I think Evina's case is a bit more subtle. She sounds to be in better health but perhaps not 100%. I also do not worry much about fitness and Strength. I am sure they are as strong and as Fit as their body type allows and Hudy is completely on top of things. I don't believe you can really see these changes over a summer. It is generally subtle

My main focus on the exhibition is on how our players look on offense.

1) Do they move without the ball? Paige is top notch but the others sometimes stand around too much waiting for Paige to do something imo. I did like the comment by Geno that Caroline is a great cutter and moves without the ball.

2) I also like the comment that the team seems to have more players willing to drive to the basket. Caroline CW and Azzi came up in comments. I want to see alot of drives and drawing fouls.

3) I do not think much will be learned about Defense in an overmatched game like this. But Ark is another story.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
You mention watching on the computer. I am [barely] a walk-on regarding tech matters.

Please correct me if I am wrong about this....and if I am....please correct me [preferably with one syllable words] so I can view this game.

To watch:

Go to UConnhuskies.com

Just click on that link and it will take you to a live video of the game [with commentary?]

Is that right?
Thanks for any help...I don't want to wait till the Arkansas game to see our favorites.

BTW: I hope Boneyarders in attendance will keep an eye out for potential future Huskies sitting in prime
That is 100% correct!! :)

1636125000900.png

Simply click on the "watch" tab on the top right , and you're all set to watch and enjoy the game for free. It's a great time to be alive. :D

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Reaction Score

To watch:

Go to UConnhuskies.com

Is that right?

I can send you a message with the link Sunday, if you have trouble finding it

Reaction Score
I agree with eebmg. I am just curious how we are going to look on the offensive side of the ball. Who is being aggressive with attacking the rim? Are they moving without the ball? What type of offensive flow we have? Who has improved their skill set? Who brings the enthusiasm? Of course it is one game but it is a small glimpse of what is going to be the foundation.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I agree with eebmg. I am just curious how we are going to look on the offensive side of the ball. Who is being aggressive with attacking the rim? Are they moving without the ball? What type of offensive flow we have? Who has improved their skill set? Who brings the enthusiasm? Of course it is one game but it is a small glimpse of what is going to be the foundation.
Hopefully the game will be posted on the yard so that it can be viewed again by those who missed it, or who need or want to see it again. Sometimes you see things watching a game a second time you missed the first time. I'm pretty sure I'm going to want to see a replay of the game. :cool:

Many times a player(s) can do things throughout the course of a game that won't show up in the box score that helps their team win. I'm going to be looking for things/players the 2nd time I wasn't the first time. Everyone watches games differently. I watch the ball. During replays, sometimes I watch players movements and spacing. I look for plays they made and didn't make. I wish they were playing today!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I want to see UConn's break. If they rebound well, it could be a full-court layup drill. I remember that team pre-PB that tried to run, but really couldn't. (Meg, Christyn...)
What if they ran so well that Geno had to modify the rules of the scrimmage so as to actually look at the half-court offense.
Show-time!!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
My biggest curiosity involves the rotation, not that it’s an exact model for what we’ll see during the season. Who’s the first player off the bench and who do they replace?

For instance, if the starting lineup is Liv, Aaliyah, Christyn, Evina & Paige and Dorka is the first player off the bench, does she replace Liv, Aaliyah or one of the guards? Each scenario may indicate something about Geno’s thoughts for the coming season.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I am quite sure Christyn and Paige are 100%. All comments from players and coaches say so. I think Evina's case is a bit more subtle. She sounds to be in better health but perhaps not 100%. I also do not worry much about fitness and Strength. I am sure they are as strong and as Fit as their body type allows and Hudy is completely on top of things. I don't believe you can really see these changes over a summer. It is generally subtle

My main focus on the exhibition is on how our players look on offense.

1) Do they move without the ball? Paige is top notch but the others sometimes stand around too much waiting for Paige to do something imo. I did like the comment by Geno that Caroline is a great cutter and moves without the ball.

2) I also like the comment that the team seems to have more players willing to drive to the basket. Caroline CW and Azzi came up in comments. I want to see alot of drives and drawing fouls.

3) I do not think much will be learned about Defense in an overmatched game like this. But Ark is another story.
4) Does the addition of more three-point shooters open up the paint to allow our guards and wings to drive? I fully expect CW in particular is going to force people to decide whether they want to guard her tight and risk her blowing by them or lay off of her and risk the open three. The same can probably she said for Evina if she’s 100%.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I want to see UConn's break. If they rebound well, it could be a full-court layup drill. I remember that team pre-PB that tried to run, but really couldn't. (Meg, Christyn...)
What if they ran so well that Geno had to modify the rules of the scrimmage so as to actually look at the half-court offense.
Show-time!!
In the past, Geno typically had the players go full out in the 1st half, permitting the team to score in transition. For the second half, UConn walks the ball up the court focusing on their half court offense.

CL82

Reaction Score
My biggest curiosity involves the rotation, not that it’s an exact model for what we’ll see during the season. Who’s the first player off the bench and who do they replace?

For instance, if the starting lineup is Liv, Aaliyah, Christyn, Evina & Paige and Dorka is the first player off the bench, does she replace Liv, Aaliyah or one of the guards. Each scenario may indicate something about what Geno’s tentative plan could be for the coming season.
Unless one of our bigs picks up some early fouls I think either Fudd or Evina will be the first player off the bench, which ever one isn’t starting. That lets us maintain tempo.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Unless one of our bigs picks up some early fouls I think either Fudd or Evina will be the first player off the bench, which ever one isn’t starting. That lets us maintain tempo.
I’m pretty sure Evina starts. But if Azzi is the 1st guard off the bench, and not Nika, that already tells us something fairly significant.

Reaction Score
4) Does the addition of more three-point shooters open up the paint to allow our guards and wings to drive? I fully expect CW in particular is going to force people to decide whether they want to guard her tight and risk her blowing by them or lay off of her snd ridk the open three. The same can probably she said for Evina if she’s 100%.
Yes, to me CW is the X-factor. We all know what she's capable of. I want to see her shoot consistently well. Automatic from certain spots, especially in the key area (that dashed line). How important, for CW's confidence, the team and PB, to know that those shots are going in. UConn has three #1 HS players. That's nuts!

CL82

Reaction Score
I’m pretty sure Evina starts. But if Azzi is the 1st guard off the bench, and not Nika, that already tells us something fairly significant.
I think so too, though I go back-and-forth on it. In the end I think Azzi is just too good a talent to be kept off the floor for very long. Nika is a very good player in her own right. I think she may come in for defensive intensity. So, that may mean she comes in to replace Christyn who I expect will typically be guarding the oppositions top scoring guard/swingman.

It’s fun to think about, especially since we will get our answers soon.

CL82

Reaction Score
Yes, to me CW is the X-factor. We all know what she's capable of. I want to see her shoot consistently well. Automatic from certain spots, especially in the key area (that dashed line). How important, for CW's confidence, the team and PB, to know that those shots are going in. UConn has three #1 HS players. That's nuts!
I agree. I’m really hopeful that this year she will feel less pressure to carry the team and just let the game come to her. If she does that, I think she’s going to have a great year.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Don't shoot the messenger...............but Tonyc posted that Evina "is a lock" to start. He said that information came from the proverbial "little birdie". It's been my experience that any information/news Tonyc shares with us is accurate. Just a side note..........in a recent interview, Evina said that she is 100% healthy and recovered from her knee surgery. She said that she does not think about the knee anymore like she did last year.

Don't forget that she was ranked number 2 in her HS class behind Megan Walker. To say that Evina has improved greatly since then is an understatement. Two years of SEC (Tennessee) P-5 experience, and 2 years of being in Geno's program (starting last year), I think she's ready, plus she's a BIG guard at 6'0". She's oiled up and ready to go, and so am I. :)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Actually, UConn has four #1’s if you add Evina, who was the #1 player on Prospects Nation her senior year.

Reaction Score
I'm just hoping for a win. I don't know about all this other stuff you guys are talking about.

Reaction Score
Why? UConn has landed 7 of the last 11, and 5 of the last 6 #1 recruits. Eventually with such a stockpile of talent we should be able to win a national championship.

Reaction Score
I think Nika is still have problem in her foot. Don't know if she will play in the first game.

Geno: Two other returners — Aubrey Griffin and Nika Mühl — have both been hampered by injuries so far. Griffin hasn’t practiced much due to a high ankle sprain and still has no clear timetable for a recovery while Mühl has been battling through a foot issue.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom