What sports figure do you love the most? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

What sports figure do you love the most?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The Mick. He could do it all when healthy. You never forget your first crush.

Most fun to watch, although I didn’t get to see him that often, Pistol Pete.
I was a huge Mickey fan, growing up in Milford in the 1950s and 1960s. In the next 2 decades, after I moved to Philly, it was Mike Schmidt. He was a great player at the plate and in the field.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I was a huge Mickey fan, growing up in Milford in the 1950s and 1960s. In the next 2 decades, after I moved to Philly, it was Mike Schmidt. He was a great player at the plate and in the field.
In my home I have a piece of “artwork” I bought years ago at an art show that basically is a mock of a Mantle baseball card showing all of his lifetime stats. I have steadfastly declined my wife’s demand to put him in the closet. For those who never saw him play, he was not only an all-time slugger, he was also a great bunter, especially left handed drag bunting. No slugger today would dream of bunting and I’m not sure management would be happy with it other than once in a blue moon.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In my home I have a piece of “artwork” I bought years ago at an art show that basically is a mock of a Mantle baseball card showing all of his lifetime stats. I have steadfastly declined my wife’s demand to put him in the closet. For those who never saw him play, he was not only an all-time slugger, he was also a great bunter, especially left handed drag bunting. No slugger today would dream of bunting and I’m not sure management would be happy with it other than once in a blue moon.
3 seconds flat to first out of the left hand box. He could fly, Mike Trout before Mike Trout.

Reaction Score
I feel fortunate to have seen in person (in my opinion) the 3 greatest hockey players of all time, although one was way past his prime. The Great One - Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemieux, and Gordie Howe. I have not seen Connor McDavid play in person, and probably never will, but he may break all the records someday. He certainly skates like no other before him. His stride and the power and speed he generates is incredible.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
3 seconds flat to first out of the left hand box. He could fly, Mike Trout before Mike Trout.
Even accounting for inflation, Mantle, with his then big salary, basically was drastically underpaid thanks to the reserve clause. And the stupid thing is, the more they pay these guys today, the more they go on the 15 day DL for a hangnail. Mantle might never have been seen in today’s MLB with his terrible knees except for cameos.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Larry Bird. He was just an otherworldly competitor. Everyone else on his team had to elevate their game to the best, because Bird just wouldn’t tolerate less from them. He is possibly the preeminent trash talker all time, actually telling players play the Celts were going to run and the shot he was going to take, while letting them know there was nothing they could do about it. One time, just for the heck of it he decided to play lefty the whole game and still scored 40 points. You just can’t help but love Larry Legend.

Reaction Score
Even accounting for inflation, Mantle, with his then big salary, basically was drastically underpaid thanks to the reserve clause. And the stupid thing is, the more they pay these guys today, the more they go on the 15 day DL for a hangnail. Mantle might never have been seen in today’s MLB with his terrible knees except for cameos.
And when he knew he couldn't physically do it anymore, he retired right before spring training Mar.1,'69. Left a $100K contract on the table.

Reaction Score
And when he knew he couldn't physically do it anymore, he retired right before spring training Mar.1,'69. Left a $100K contract on the table.
As a child, it was definitely The Mick. In 1951, his rookie season, on a fly ball hit to right center, hit by Willie Mays in the second game of the World Series, Mantle was called off the ball by Joe DiMaggio in center field. He stepped on an exposed drain pipe injuring his left knee and leg which eventually turned to osteomyelitis where the bone actually bleeds. As great as he was, we would never know his true promise. Casey Stengel said he had the greatest talent he had ever seen. He was the fastest player in the major leagues from home to first as a rookie and had unique power as a switch hitter his whole career. Now, I have to say it is Diana. She is just a winner, pure and simple.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Seem to recall Larry Bird did essentially the same.

Reaction Score
60s - #7 the days I was selling peanuts at the stadium as my first job
70s - Willis, Clyde & DeBusschere
80s - my kids - my coaching glory days of soccer and b'ball
90s- Joe Torre & Jen Rizzotti
00s - Diana
10s - Stef & Kiah Stokes
Now - Anna Mak!

Reaction Score
It is just insane to think how high Mantle's star would have shown sans injuries. As they say, a generational player. I am not a Yankee fan but I recognize special players.

Reaction Score
It is just insane to think how high Mantle's star would have shown sans injuries. As they say, a generational player. I am not a Yankee fan but I recognize special players.
How much did the alcohol effect mickeys career

Reaction Score
As a kid I was a big Marty Barrett fan (second baseman of the Red Sox). Tom Brady of the Pats, would be a great choice. I still think Wayne Gretzky, while not my favorite was the greatest of all time within his sport. I root for any former UCONN player in the pros.

But, how about Connecticut's own Doug Henry. Even if you are not a fan of motocross, the Henry story is a great one:

Reaction Score
60s - #7 the days I was selling peanuts at the stadium as my first job
70s - Willis, Clyde & DeBusschere
80s - my kids - my coaching glory days of soccer and b'ball
90s- Joe Torre & Jen Rizzotti
00s - Diana
10s - Stef & Kiah Stokes
Now - Anna Mak!
Interesting by decades favorites. Using that approach I go with the Mick for the 60s, the entire Knicks team for the 70s ( I can't leave out Dollar Bill or the Pearl), Larry Legend for the 80s, His Airness for the 90s, DT for the 2000s, Stewie for the 2010s, and for now, I will let you know after the first 5 UCONN games later this year. I just have a feeling it will be Paige!

Reaction Score
To the OP, my wife she swam in high school. :D
But, how about Connecticut's own Doug Henry. Even if you are not a fan of motocross, the Henry story is a great one:
Great post and very heart touching story. Not in the same type of story but there is another dirt biker from CT in the Hall Of Fame also. Jimmy Ellis who was from East Hampton and now lives in Australia. It was early to mid 70s a few of us had dirt bikes and would make our way through the woods to an old gravel pit in Durham. With all the use a course was carved out with hills, switch backs a long stretch of moguls etc.
It was rumored Jimmy would practice there on occasion, It was our day! Truck and trailer rolls up and it is Jimmy rolling out to practice around the rookies. We were thrilled and in awe at the same time, our goal was to not let him lap you twice in the same lap! A very up close display of talent and not a bit of embarrassment on our part as he was a highly world ranked local legend.

Reaction Score
(thought I had quoted woof101's post) I remember Jimmy Ellis. I also remember another Connecticut guy named Mike Guerra who was really fast. Doug is a unique story of course because of all the hardship, and the positive attitude. If you want to see another great clip watch him attempting a backflip, even though he was paralyzed and couldn't lean back, with the help of Travis Pastrana of Nitro Circus fame. Doug was Travis's idol growing up. Just shows that you should never give up.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Hank started out as a shortstop which he played in the Negro leagues. He also had a cross handed or split hands grip on the bat until someone changed his grip. He had strong wrists that provided the power in his home run swing. Most interesting is the fact that he never hit 50 home runs in a season.
The Braves of the late 50s had a potent top of the order. Billy Bruton, Wes Covington, Hank Aaron, Eddie Mathews, Joe Adcock.
The aces who pitched on 4 days rest were Lew Burdette and Warren Spahn. Spahn may still hold the record for home runs by a pitcher.
I was a Phillies fan in those days, but they stank. As you can see, I had a small interest in Milwaukee's team and County Stadium.
I agree with Husk11, uniforms were cool to a nine year old.
Hank was also a “front side” hitter which unbelievably impressive how he could generate the power he did. Hank also had some wheels in his younger days as well. Class act all the way and his biography is a must read for any baseball fan.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Hey! Only 1 player allowed and definitely only ONE PER SPORT! That’s a 5 thread misconduct penalty on Milford...hey Nan...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom