What sports figure do you love the most? | The Boneyard

What sports figure do you love the most?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Let’s put a positive spin on the other thread by hearing who fellow BYers are/were enamored with. Your own criteria, no explanation needed, though it is encouraged.

For me, the best player I ever saw in person and loved his game was Wayne Gretzky who made everyone, and I mean everyone around him better. His peak years were the most dominant of any Player of any sport this side of Babe Ruth and Bobby Jones. What say you? :)

Reaction Score
Let’s put a positive spin on the other thread by hearing who fellow BYers are/were enamored with. Your own criteria, no explanation needed, though it is encouraged.

For me, the best player I ever saw in person and loved his game was Wayne Gretzky who made everyone, and I mean everyone around him better. His peak years were the most dominant of any Player of any sport this side of Babe Ruth and Bobby Jones. What say you? :)
He was beyond dominant and far overshadowed the kind of dominance that Tiger Woods had ..... He blew away records that had been held for decades and no one will ever come close to the numbers that he has ..... Amazing and classy and no scandals for him .... total class

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Danny Ainge. He didn't get the publicity that many pro athletes received. He was the only player named first team high school All American in football, baseball, and basketball. He received the John Wooden Award as college basketball player of the year.
After a few years in MLB, he decided to concentrate on basketball. He was a starting guard on the great Celtic team of the Larry Bird era. I always noticed that besides bringing the ball up court he almost always was the only Celtic who pressed his man full court on defense. He was a pretty good 3-point shooter also.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
When I was growing up, it wasn't one, it was multiple NY Yankees. Mostly, because growing up that was what I was exposed to, no other sports in the house (I think my father liked football and basketball, but except for the Army / Navy game he certainly didn't watch them). And even though he was retired before I was born, Joe Dimaggio and all after him, as we had NYY Yearbooks for all the years from the late 40's on. Wish I knew what happened to them.

When I branched out on my own - amongst other things I became a hockey fan and was much taken with Eddie Giacomin (I always liked goalies). Of all of them, his was the style I copied in the pick-up street hockey games I occasionally played in.

But much more recently, I would say Derek Jeter (in his playing days). No idea what he is doing as an exec.

BTW, I am much more a "coach" person. Big fan of Joe Torre, recently, but many before him. In hockey, Rangers coach when I was watching was first watching was Emile Francis, and I liked Al Arbour of the Islanders (didn't everyone).

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
He was beyond dominant and far overshadowed the kind of dominance that Tiger Woods had ..... He blew away records that had been held for decades and no one will ever come close to the numbers that he has ..... Amazing and classy and no scandals for him .... total class

Fun fact, you could take away all of Wayne Gretzky's goals and he would still have the most lifetime NHL points.

He had 2,857 total points. Minus his 897 goals and his 1,963 assists are still more than Jaromir Jagr's 2nd place total points of 1,921.

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
Margo Dydek...met her, she was loving, kind, intelligent and funny person. Awesome!

Reaction Score
Fun fact, you could take away all of Wayne Gretzky's goals and he would still have the most lifetime NHL points.

He had 2,857 total points. Minus his 897 goals and his 1,963 assists are still more than Jaromir Jagr's 2nd place total points of 1,921.

Great stat, more impressive than my favorite; Joe DiMaggio striking out only 8 more times than he hit a home run, 369 to 361. For perspective sake only, Henry Aaron hit 755 home runs but struck out 1,383 times.

Reaction Score
John Havlicek. My basketball idol growing up. Met him several times and once interviewed him for the Daily Campus while doing an assignment in the Celtics. His grandson played youth ball in Prospect, btw.

Reaction Score
Roy Campanella. Great Catcher, great hitter. After a game at Forbes Field we hung around the bus area where the players came out. When he walked out to the bus I stood in front of him and asked for his autograph. He smiled down at me ( I was about 5' 5" at the time ), took the book and asked me what my name was. He then wrote, "To Chuck, thanks for being a fan". Roy Campanella" If it had not been for his tragic accident he would have held every hitting record ever by a catcher.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom